• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

People talk about Vita's failure as if it was some sort of shocking tragedy nobody at the time could foresee.

The simple truth is that Vita had the seeds of its own insuccess baked into its very design.

Avoiding all the mistakes and keeping expectations modest could allow a successor to gain a moderate foothold, which would be a more than sufficient success given today's mobile-infested handheld environment.

What would be the market for a new PSP? A Tegra NX will already be pushing the boundaries of what is reasonably possible in a handheld form factor so Sony wouldn't even have the generation-ahead graphics advantage this time.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'm sure the idea has always been floated by someone, but could Sony's potential new handheld go the NX route to a degree and run downscaled PS4 titles? That would solve the problem of software droughts, and they wouldn't need to make exclusive titles for it.

Branduil

I'm sure the idea has always been floated by someone, but could Sony's potential new handheld go the NX route to a degree and run downscaled PS4 titles? That would solve the problem of software droughts, and they wouldn't need to make exclusive titles for it.

It wouldn't be the NX route because you're not putting an x86 chip in a handheld(and it goes without saying it wouldn't have a BD drive). There would still be some work involved in porting games. The NX route is making your handheld and home console literally the same system.

MuchoMalo

Banned
What would be the market for a new PSP? A Tegra NX will already be pushing the boundaries of what is reasonably possible in a handheld form factor so Sony wouldn't even have the generation-ahead graphics advantage this time.

I feel like a lot of people are either ignoring this, expect Nintendo to only match Wii U at best or they're delusional and think that Sony can put out something halfway between Xbone and PS4. A new Vita up against NX as rumored... Well, I guess if NX has a large screen at 720p and PSP3 has a 5-inch, 1080p screen? I guess it could sell based on that? It's not like Sony would support it well so I guess that's the best they could do.

LewieP

I don't believe the silicon exists today to run PS4 software in a portable form factor. Not at a cost/size and power/heat envelope that would be required.

But yes I do think this is the only way that the Vita will ever get a true successor, outside of a hardware revision or perhaps at a stretch a specs boost along the lines of the New 3DS.

LordOfChaos

I feel like a lot of people are either ignoring this, expect Nintendo to only match Wii U at best or they're delusional and think that Sony can put out something halfway between Xbone and PS4. A new Vita up against NX as rumored... Well, I guess if NX has a large screen at 720p and PSP3 has a 5-inch, 1080p screen? I guess it could sell based on that? It's not like Sony would support it well so I guess that's the best they could do.

Yeah, a Pascal Tegra leaves little wiggle room for another mobile device to get on top. If it does, it's not by the magnitudes the PSVita did over the 3DS.

Maybe Sony recognizes it's not tantamount to sales, but I can't see them releasing something weaker than the NX. Unless like, the NX did it in a 7 inch tablet form factor while the Vita successor was still Vita sized, and they beat them on portability.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, a Pascal Tegra leaves little wiggle room for another mobile device to get on top. If it does, it's not by the magnitudes the PSVita did over the 3DS.

Maybe Sony recognizes it's not tantamount to sales, but I can't see them releasing something weaker than the NX. Unless like, the NX did it in a 7 inch tablet form factor while the Vita successor was still Vita sized, and they beat them on portability.

I think the point he's making is that Sony's MO with their handhelds was "CONSOLE LIKE EXPERIENCES ON THE GO!" and you can't really do that when your competitor is probably that exact same thing and is going to have a lot better support for it. They'd have no market left.

Bitanator

With all the NX talk, wasn't there a article somewhere with AMD getting three wins, maybe one of them was for this handheld if there even is one? Since Nintendo is going to Nvidia, could be pulling from my ass

crinale

Well I remember when DQ11 going multiplat rumor popped up people never believed it so anything can happen I guess
j/k

It would be very funny if this new Vita [i hope for stronger Vita Neo] has a HDMI port and comes with a small dock so that users with DS4 can play Vita games on HDTV. It would be even more funnier if it would come out before NX.

evilest.gif

Think of a handheld with full support of (digital) PS4 games (just downscaled to 720p)... I mean, how expensive could a Sony memory card big enough for Uncharted 4, Diablo 3 and some other stuff be?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Think of a handheld with full support of (digital) PS4 games (just downscaled to 720p)... I mean, how expensive could a Sony memory card big enough for Uncharted 4, Diablo 3 and some other stuff be?

probably just more than the entire NX starting pack?

vaniel

Neo Member
I doubt Sony is releasing another handheld, but if so I'll buy it day one.

Maybe that's why the FFXII remaster isn't coming for Vita....they want to release it on the PSP3. :)

SoraNoKuni

As much I would like a new Sony portable, the closest thing I can imagine happening is an xperia play 2, which is... ok I guess.

Maximus.

There is so much truth in this post. It deserves to be quoted more.

As niche as it is, the Vita is still profitable for both Sony and developers, which is why games keep coming to it and are still planned for it.

That considered, a full-on successor would definitely be insane, as it would mean major first and third party titles and a huge marketing effort.

An upgrade though, makes almost perfect sense. Better remote play for the large PS4 audience, all with minimal R&D and marketing expenses (compared to releasing a new handheld). All while adding a couple of features and more power to keep developers interested and games coming.

I always think that with slightly more power on the Vita, games like I am Setsuna would have made it to the West. And games like FFXII HD* and Persona 5 would be able to be released on the portable.

Another point worth noting is that by not releasing another portable, not only Sony would be ceding their audience to Nintendo, but also a lot of developers. Would they want major developers like SQEX, Atlus, Koei Tecmo and a ton of indie devs to have no portable options but the NX? I don’t think so.

Anyway. I’m not hoping for anything on portable front in this event, but now that others have started speculating, it does indeed makes me think if I should hope, at least a little bit..

*I believe one of the reasons FFXII HD was not announced for Vita is that they couldn’t make all the new features of the game run on Vita.

Niche + profitable for a big company? Lol. You cannot find vitas or games in stores in the west, Sony stopped giving the system proper support, and overall people were not buying it. Sure the dedicated few who still enjoy it support it, but the system and market doesn't give room for a reasonable third mobile console. I am curious to see what Sony does however.

crinale

Niche + profitable for a big company? Lol. You cannot find vitas or games in stores in the west, Sony stopped giving the system proper support, and overall people were not buying it. Sure the dedicated few who still enjoy it support it, but the system and market doesn't give room for a reasonable third mobile console. I am curious to see what Sony does however.

You must consider that Vita's very existence is helping Japanese third parties supporting PS4 (niche games but they are still games).

RM8

I can see Vita 2 being super indie centric from day one, and there's no way they'll go the expensive, premium gadget route again. If it's happening in the first place, of course.

I can see Vita 2 being super indie centric from day one, and there's no way they'll go the expensive, premium gadget route again. If it's happening in the first place, of course.

Those are typically the best experiences on Vita anyway imo. Make it compatible with vita 1 titles and I'm all in

JayBabay

Would it be possible to release a new Vita handheld that can take universal memory cards like SD cards vs the expensive proprietary ones that the current Vita is using?

Those are typically the best experiences on Vita anyway imo. Make it compatible with vita 1 titles and I'm all in

While I wouldn't necessarily disagree, there's something to be said about how seamless it was going back and forth between something like Uncharted or Killzone's multiplayer to another excellent dig like The Swapper or Xeodrifter. Obviously you can still do that, but those novel AAA experiences have all but dried up as we know. Now I mostly just do indies and really miss switching between the two.

VLiberty

This is absolutely false.
We got some cancellation (Saints row, Assassins Creed, DJ Hero), but the vast majority (epsecially the Japanese ones) of the IP listed came to the console, and many others were officially announced slighlty later. That list was showing how the Japanese industry was backing the system, and it actually did that, while the Western one was testing the waters and backpedaled (from a still less convincing starting point).

EDIT: This is the list: 72 games, a dozen of which didn't come out for the system. (plus maybe some from the TQH global bankrupcy?). Doesn't sound half or more at all. And of course we slighlty after discovered many other games actually coming for the system.

Activision

DJ Hero® 3D

AQ INTERACTIVE

cubic ninja

ATLUS

Etrian Odyssey
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

Capcom

RESIDENT EVIL® REVELATIONS
SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV 3D Edition (name not final)

Electronic Arts

FIFA Soccer
Madden NFL
The Sims™ 3

Gameloft

Asphalt GT

Harmonix

Music game

Hudson

Bomberman franchise
DECA SPORTS franchise
KORORINPA franchise

Konami

Baseball franchise
Contra franchise
Frogger franchise
HIDEO KOJIMA'S METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D
"The Naked Sample"
PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER franchise /
WINNING ELEVEN franchise

Level 5

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (name not final)

Majesco Entertainment

BloodRayne: The Shroud
A Boy and His Blob
Face Racers: Photo Finish
Lion's Pride: Adventures on the Serengeti
Martha Stewart
WonderWorld Amusement Park
Marvelous Entertainment
BOKUJYOUMONOGATARI 3D (name not final)

Namco Bandai

Dragon Ball® franchise (name not final)
Gundam® franchise (name not final)
PAC-MAN™ & GALAGA™ (name not final)
RIDGE RACER® (name not final)
Super Robot franchise (name not final)

Nintendo

Animal Crossing™
Kid Icarus™: Uprising
Mario Kart™
nintendogs™ + cats
Paper Mario™
PilotWings Resort™
Star Fox 64™ 3D
Steel Diver™
ROCKET
Crash-City GP
VS-robo

SEGA

Sonic (name not final)
Super Monkey Ball (name not final)

Square-Enix

CODENAME: Chocobo Racing® 3D
DRAGON QUEST® franchise
FINAL FANTASY® franchise
KINGDOM HEARTS franchise

Take-Two Interactive

Carnival Games® franchise

Tecmo Koei

DEAD OR ALIVE® 3D (name not final)
DYNASTY WARRIORS® (name not final)
NINJA GAIDEN® (name not final)
SAMURAI WARRIORS® 3D (name not final)

THQ

de Blob 2
Kung Fu Panda Kaboom of Doom
Marvel Super Hero Squad Infinity Gauntlet
The Penguins of Madagascar
Puss N Boots
Saints Row: Drive-By

Ubisoft

Assassin's Creed™ Lost Legacy
Battle of Giants™: Dinosaur Strike
Driver® Renegade
Hollywood 61 (name not final)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon™
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory™

Warner Bros

Batman franchise
LEGO franchise
By quickly looking at that list, at least a couple of dozens never made it. Maybe not half, definitely not just a dozen, and it's still ridiculous

I'll eat my hat if Sony is making another handheld, much less have it far along enough to be in production. That's gotta be NX based on what we know so far.

I'll eat my hat if Sony is making another handheld, much less have it far along enough to be in production. That's gotta be NX based on what we know so far.

image.php

Remember your post come September.

Also I have no interests in a new vita. My Macbook is my dedicated remote play machine now.

MacTag

Banned
I could see a Vita Neo making sense given PS4's not taking off in Japan, Japanese games aren't taking off the west and Sony will need a viable domestic product if they want to maintain the current level of Japanese PS ecosystem support.

Or maybe a phone variant (Xperia Vita)? Whatever this thing is it better have microSD support.

By quickly looking at that list, at least a couple of dozens never made it. Maybe not half, definitely not just a dozen, and it's still ridiculous
I count 17 that didn't make it. Closer to a dozen than a couple dozen technically.

TheMan

Makes no sense. Vita flopped and there seems to be little reason for them to try again given that phones are so ubiquitous. I'm calling bullshit in this.

muteki

Right, so there is no barrier from hardware architecture that would have even stopped them from doing this in the Vita Slim from a couple years ago? Only greed?

They aren't reinventing the wheel with the vita memory cards, they are essentially SD cards in a different physical package.

Holy shit the insanity here. People think there's a third Sony Portable coming? Carnival of Stupid in full swing. Evil, depressing type of stupid.
Damn it :(

Another dedicated handheld from Sony makes zero sense in the west, but it kind of makes sense in Japan. I still don't think it's happening though. All of Sony's top-shelf studios are focused on PS4 software. Sony Bend, their premiere handheld studio, isn't even working on portable content anymore.

Magwik

Banned
The Vita like device has got to be NX or a Vita revision with built in 64GB storage based off of spare model parts and inventory. However the PS4 Slim packaging doesn't mention anything Vita so it's probably not a Sony device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom