• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieH@rd

Banned
What can a psp3 do that a vita cant already?

Well i guess have all the buttons of a dualshock 3, but besides that.

Use MicroSD cards. Have faster WiFi module. Have larger screen and battery. Have faster SoC chip/more RAM, so that Vita software ecosystem can get same treatment as PS4&Neo.

Chronos24

Since it's been asked in the other thread a lot I decided to go ahead and open a seperate thread for this.

http://bbs.a9vg.com/forum.php?mod=vi...thorid=1444953

This seems more believable since the guy who dropped this information uploaded a sketch that looked very much like the PS4 slim that leaked today.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1267071

Ok 1, where the hell are the exhaust vents?! The PS4 put out some serious heat and had practically the whole rear of the console open for heat exhaust. Can't imagine it being that significantly cooler. 2. There is NO optical out port. There goes my use of my 300 dollar Astro A50's. Just a couple points I'd like to make.

PSFan

I add some info that make his leaks more believable.
He mention 8 legs on slim model which fit the leak photo. Weigh of Neo is just impression, not actually 10lbs.
PSP like devices could be anything handheld, it's not his first hand info.

Then why not say handheld device or portable device? They used the name of a specific Sony product to describe it.

Glassboy

I love new console launches. Even if it's just iterative it is always exciting to see new hardware come out. Sept is going to be so much fun!

Ok 1, where the hell are the exhaust vents?! The PS4 put out some serious heat and had practically the whole rear of the console open for heat exhaust. Can't imagine it being that significantly cooler. 2. There is NO optical out port. There goes my use of my 300 dollar Astro A50's. Just a couple points I'd like to make.

If you have the original PS4, this budget modell is not for you. The Neo might still have the optical port.

Oxn

Use MicroSD cards. Have faster WiFi module. Have larger screen and battery. Have faster SoC chip/more RAM, so that Vita software ecosystem can get same treatment as PS4&Neo.

None of those things matter as to why the vita failed. Doing the same as vita but stronger wont help.

Vashetti

Banned
Could this supposed 'new' handheld be a spruced up Vita?

More powerful, more modern, power-efficient hardware, that runs all Vita and digital PSP titles, designed to give devs more to work with, and to compete with NX for Japan?

AmyS

A backwards compatible Vita 2, maybe?

That's pretty doubtful.

Sony: climate "not healthy" for PlayStation Vita successor

Yoshida was quizzed on Sony's plans for a gaming handheld during the Q&A portion of his just-finished EGX 2015 developer session.

The affable exec replied that he and the rest of his team had enjoyed working on Vita, but that the rise of smartphone gaming had created an unhealthy climate in which to launch a successor.

"That's a tough question," he replied when asked about a PlayStation Vita 2. "People have mobile phones and it's so easy to play games on smartphones," Yoshida said. "And many games on smartphones are free, or free to start.

"I myself am a huge fan of PlayStation Vita and we worked really hard on designing every aspect. Touch-based games are fun - there are many games with really good design. But having sticks and buttons make things totally different.

"So I hope, like many of you, that this culture of playing portable games continues but the climate is not healthy for now because of the huge dominance of mobile gaming."

However, the above is 11 months old (late September, 2015).

New Vita for better remote play and triggers is probably the only thing that makes sense.
Don't think Sony will devote any resources to making games for it, but it could get an audience if it improves PS4 experience while being able to play PS1 games

LordOfChaos

you hope they did this three months ago right ?

Well yeah. They can't turn overnight, but possibly before production ramped up they could decide to have slightly lower yields in exchange for faster clocked silicon, and have a larger heatsink fit in.

I mean, with the existing silicon it probably won't match Scorpio, but maybe they're trying to come a bit closer, like the Xbox One upclocking.

DieH@rd

Banned
None of those things matter as to why the vita failed. Doing the same as vita but stronger wont help.

Nothing can save Vita. But Sony can make it better and continue offering a good platform for tons of great games and a great RP client for PS4 [and future PS consoles].

Plus that can expect steady sales from Japan. Maybe only that is enough for them to produce new device.

AAMARMO

Banned
ibadbqd5rlbxq49sdc.gif

crinale

If this turns out to be Sony device then I think it would be just a Vita remodel.
And if it is then there are a few readings (from Japanese blogs and such) I could remember about hinting this, but who knows.

Oxn

Nothing can save Vita. But Sony can make it better and continue offering a good platform for tons of great games and a great RP client for PS4 [and future PS consoles].

Plus that can expect steady sales from Japan. Maybe only that is enough for them to produce new device.

Oh, so you're suggesting a revision of the vita, as opposed to a succesor. Guess that makes more sense.

Vashetti

Banned
1080p screen and WiFi AC for 1080p 60fps remote play.

1080p screen doesn't make sense, unless they're rendering Vita and PSP games at that res.

Vita screen is 960x544, which is exactly 2x both vertical and horizontal of the PSP's 480x272 screen, so PSP games upscale perfectly.

I don't think it's insane for Sony to make another play for the handheld market, but it would have to be innovative.

So I guess I should doubt it?

18-Volt

Doesn't Nintendo use Foxconn also? Couldn't it be NX then?

Per Eurogamer, NX is nothing like PSP. It sounded like it's a tablet with attachable controllers to sides.

This could be a third Vita revision. Vita is still alive in Japan and there still is a possibility to revive the system in west with a new revision. I hope Sony play their cards better this time, there are people in west who are starving for some quality handheld action.

My wish: Give me a buffed up Vita that can play PS3 and PS2 games, Sony. That could keep me busy for years.

Oregano

With the PS4 being X86, would it be theoretically easier to just downscale a ps4 games to run on a mobile device?

Not that's like the path of least resistance. x86 is a dead end on mobile hardware and even top of the line mobile hardware is pretty far below PS4 in power.

Vena

Well yeah. Vita Neo. Same SW platform, better specs.

Would have leaked if such a thing existed, unless no one has any plans to develop for it and as such zero dev kits exist. The neo leaked the moment kits went out, the NX was kits were leaked the moment they went out last year (just not the specs), the scorpio was leaked before even kits existed.

Man, I do hope they do a Vita revision just to keep a foot on the market (even if it's a niche market).

They have been keeping the Vita on the market with little to no support and Sony is no strange to launching niche oriented products. If they can keep the costs down I can see it happening.

Vita failed cause major western publishers didn't develop for it after the first couple months, thats it. Memory card prices were shit, but not enough for sales to crater THAT hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom