• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
PSP had them too and both sold like shit. Games that sold PSP were Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, GTA, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid (brand new MGS). Any one of those for Vita could have changed the system's fate.

PSP has sold significantly more than 3DS.

If it played ps4 games and had same price as nx I could see it.
It would only be able to local so it honestly wouldn't. If anyone expects ps4 power in a small handheld they are crazy. That's why I don't even think no will be xbone level unless attached to this dock thing. If that is even true.

Neo:

Phil_heath_Mr_Olympia_2013_Bodybuilding_gif-3.gif

PS4:

skinny-guy.jpg

Scorpio

muscle_man.jpg

Boke1879

Possible, but that normally happens with software not hardware.

I get what you mean, but the thing is already in boxes and most certainly being shipped out. Someone already bought one of someone and the seller says they will get more tomorrow.

I think it'll at the most be a week after the september event when the slim launches.

PSP has sold significantly more than 3DS.

80 million vs. 60 million. 10 years of sales vs. 5? Plus the PSP hype was bolstered by a stronger Playstation brand at the time stoked by the success of the iconic PS2. As a handheld, Vita easily surpasses the PSP. But it's all about the games, and in Sony's case, third party games. The lifeblood of all Sony's platforms jumped off the handheld bandwagon long ago.

wapplew

I get what you mean, but the thing is already in boxes and most certainly being shipped out. Someone already bought one of someone and the seller says they will get more tomorrow.

I think it'll at the most be a week after the september event when the slim launches.

A week later is highly likely. Given Neo is couple month behind production, November could be Neo date.

I would totally get a Vita 2, as long as Sony actually intends on supporting it longer than 2-3 years and doesn't do that stupid overpriced proprietary memory BS. The Vita is one of my favorite handhelds I've ever owned. Another PSP/Vita could give the NX some interesting competition too, if it's implemented well.

New tweet from shortman:

Hi guys, I will be honest. I am currently arranging for someone to do a full breakdown and video/pictures of the slim so watch this space :)

crinale

Wasn't OG PS3 fat was heavier than 10lb? It was like a nightmare when I had to walk home from Akihabara with that thing back then.

It seems as if everybody is verbalizing their dreams so here we go

PS4 Slim
-upgraded wifi
-UHD blu ray support
-4k output like the XBO S
-comes with new dualshock with improved battery life, triggers, and sticks

PS4 Neo
-Upgrade to at least 5 teraflops
-external power brick (why would I want this? Size, more cooling for the actual system inside)
-comes with the Dualshock Pro (basically a XBO elite controller of course)
-has the ability to prioritize FPS or Resolution
-1TB standard, 2tb option but still has upgradeable HDD
-2 front and 2 back usb ports
-physical buttons
-same features as slim (UHD/4k/wifi)

PSP2/PSvita2
-720p display, doesn't need any more in a handheld
-backwards compatible with PSP and Vita
-upgraded wifi for remote play
-same basic design as the vita
-No rear touchpad, or gyro, etc.
-Uses same UI as PS4 but adjusted for smaller display
-Enough power to run PS3 games
-1GB internal storage like the PSvita Slim
-MicroSD support up to at least 64gb
-micro HDMI or display port out to tv

General Playstation
-External drive support on PS4 family
-PSN name change
-Full usb headset support (5.1/7.1)
-cross play with XBO/PC
-Full wheel support (Let me use my Driving Force GT goddamnit0

3DS is the successor to a device which sold around 155 million units worldwide.

What is your point? The dedicated handheld market is shrinking. Nintendo made some missteps early in the 3DS's career, but have since recovered and no handheld will sell those numbers again. 3DS fell in the shadow of its predecessor mostly due to changes in the market, but software-wise (quality) the system is a worthy follow-up to the DS, whereas the Vita struggled for a variety of factors, including a changing market, poor third party support, and poor first party support. None of that will change with a "Vita 2"

thelastword

Banned

Well fair enough, if it's already being shipped, then a September release is more likely. I was just saying that the hardware would have to be in stores way before the date they announce it for day and date.

Lol, so what would a TITAN equipped PC with a 6700K CPU look like?

Servbot24

Banned
What we know about the NX doesn't sound like a PSP-like device.

Not that I really have any hope for a new Sony handheld... but if it happened I'd be there day 1.

SoraNoKuni

This new portable... I wonder.
If I recall correctly Sony patented some mini analog sticks which are clickable and had some prints with a potential vita like device using them..

Arttemis

Bought a Vita day-1 because of Remote Play.

If they can improve ergonomics AND the connection quality, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't support a Vita successor... so, this could be another day-1 purchase for me.

crinale

This new portable... I wonder.
If I recall correctly Sony patented some mini analog sticks which are clickable and had some prints with a potential vita like device using them..

One I remember that got revealed recently is how to implement the force feedback to analog sticks build on portable device. Are we talking about the same thing?
(BTW the "handheld" shown in that patent looked exactly like Vita, but really doesn't mean much I suppose).

Ok, so while I'm still not convinced this isn't all a massive load of wank, because that NX controller has left me forever jaded on this kind of stuff, assuming this stuff is true...

Slim: makes sense, and I'm expecting it to be as cheap as possible. This is going to be the main driving force behind world wide sales as we switch over from early adopters to bargain hunting average consumers and cheap but cool gift hungry parents. The 3 months sales build up is to ensure there's more than enough for this Christmas and a big price cut.

Neo: I'm still expecting this year, and for them to throw as many bells and whistles at it as possible to make it as quite and cool as possible, as well as have as many premium features as they can fit into its big heavy frame. I'm expecting it to release writhin a month of the slim, maybe at the same time, with the later start in production simply because this is a product for far fewer and much smaller markets.

Trinity/PSP3: still not buying a third handheld. A Vita 3000 model though, maybe with built in R2/L2 buttons and HDMI out for remote play/streaming and PS1 games, that I can see. Throw MicroSD storage in there too and that'd be my dream handheld.

Live, Vita, live! Vita meaning 'life' has to account for something, right, guys?

...right?

...right?

I need my little backwards Playstation library/RPG machine to live on.

SoraNoKuni

One I remember that got revealed recently is how to implement the force feedback to analog sticks build on portable device. Are we talking about the same thing?
(BTW the "handheld" shown in that patent looked exactly like Vita, but really doesn't mean much I suppose).

Probably yes, it was nearly Identical but probably that was just a placeholder.

Thraktor

Anyone seriously hoping for a new Sony handheld should keep in mind that it's been nearly 3 years now since Sony have released an internally developed game for the Vita. If they had the slightest bit of interest in staying in the handheld market you'd think they'd actually develop some titles for it.

All this talk of Vita 2, PSP3 etc.

All I want from a PSP like device is a final version of Vita. Slimmer and lighter still. SD cards rather than proprietary memory. Possibly a minor RAM boost like PSP got (although we're probably far too late in the cycle for that).

If it were anything more major than that, it would've gotten leaked like crazy by now. And with the amount of indies that are no longer targeting Vita; Japanese games that are moving on etc., it's difficult to believe it's anything more than this. At least there's a few million more sales they can eek out between Japan and Asia with a new model.

PSP had them too and both sold like shit. Games that sold PSP were Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, GTA, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid (brand new MGS). Any one of those for Vita could have changed the system's fate.

PSP did not sell like shit. What are you on about.

Kirye

I don't think Sony should make another handheld. They're never going to beat Nintendo on handheld simply because they don't put any weight into their first party releases. The only way I see it being successful is if they make a portable that can play your digital PS4 games and I doubt that's very feasible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom