• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popsickles

'Ps3go' believe. A hand held ps3 with 200gig internal flash memory that plays ps1,2 and 3 games hence trinity codename would be awesome.

ironcreed

Banned
10lbs wtf

Neo:

Phil_heath_Mr_Olympia_2013_Bodybuilding_gif-3.gif

PS4:

skinny-guy.jpg

thelastword

Banned
Bodes well for the NEO that it's heavy, this means some good cooling solutions and a higher possibility that they go with higher clocks on NEO's GPU and a more powerful CPU.

Well a Slim PS4 was always expected for the holidays, I have a feeling it will debut/launch in October in collaboration with the PSVR.

Another Vita is awesome, as Vita was the best and most powerful handheld, now imagine the new VIta with a hybrid zen and also a hybrid 460/470, that would be insane. A RX460 hybrid most likely.

Oregano

Vita failed cause major western publishers didn't develop for it after the first couple months, thats it. Memory card prices were shit, but not enough for sales to crater THAT hard.

Vita had exclusive COD and Assassins Creed and still gets stuff like X-COM. Its western third party support was mpees better than the vastly more successful 3DS.

What's the point of releasing a new handheld if the Vita was kind of a failure that they've completely halted AAA development on?

Seriously. They've pretty much shown they can't properly support two platforms at the same time, so why bother?! If it's just going to be PS4 ports then I personally am not interested in another handheld.

Oxn

Would have leaked if such a thing existed, unless no one has any plans to develop for it and as such zero dev kits exist. The neo leaked the moment kits went out, the NX was kits were leaked the moment they went out last year (just not the specs), the scorpio was leaked before even kits existed.

What if its the exact same kit as neo?

But " a veteran worker say new PSP like device in production."
Is it confirmed that it's a Sony device? Could be NX.

I wouldn't be surprised. Foxconn is one of the largest employers in China that assembles almost every consumer electronic under the sun. I doubt one of them's going to know the specific brand of this product and not just the type of product they've assembled before.

Hip Hop

Vita had exclusive COD and Assassins Creed and still gets stuff like X-COM. Its western third party support was mpees better than the vastly more successful 3DS.

Sure, it had support, but questionable support from the get go.

Giving the Resistance series to someone with a horrible track record like Nihilistic Software to develop the game for the Vita.

And what did they do after the game came out and we knew it would turn out like hot garbage, as it did?

They give Call of Duty to Nihilistic Software yet again to make a game for the Vita.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
People in the NX speculation thread already think that a Sony handheld would sell more vs a Nintendo handheld next gen.

Reminds me of VITA vs 3DS and DS vs PSP all over again.

Use MicroSD cards. Have faster WiFi module. Have larger screen and battery. Have faster SoC chip/more RAM, so that Vita software ecosystem can get same treatment as PS4&Neo.

Hopefully it's cheap and they rip off some of the ideas from WiiU with zero lag screen mirroring in local wifi. That might be nice.

18-Volt

PSP had them too and both sold like shit. Games that sold PSP were Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, GTA, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid (brand new MGS). Any one of those for Vita could have changed the system's fate.

If the NX rumors are true, releasing a rival dedicated handheld would be suicide. Sony won't be "competing" this time with a platform that receives only fragmentary support from Nintendo but a unified product hosting its full attention and resources.

Ganondolf

I don't get why the neo would need to be 3cm thicker than the original ps4. If the slim can be made with the same specs of these original in a smaller package why would the neo which has a better gpu but everything else the same (but upclocked) need so much space to deal with the heat.

Also nvidia can put a gtx 1060 into a slim laptop now, why can't Sony get the neo specs in the same size box as they original ps4?

PSP had them too and both sold like shit. Games that sold PSP were Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, GTA, Gran Turismo, Tekken, Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid (brand new MGS). Any one of those for Vita could have changed the system's fate.
PSP sales and Vita sales aren't even comparable.

crinale

I don't get why the neo would need to be 3cm thicker than the original ps4. If the slim can be made with the same specs of these original in a smaller package why would the neo which has a better go I but everything else the same (but unblocked) need so much space to deal with the heat.

Also nvidia can put a gtx 1060 into a slim laptop now, why can't Sony get the neo specs in the same size box as they original ps4?

Maybe Neo will have internal VR box thing?

Oxn

I don't get why the neo would need to be 3cm thicker than the original ps4. If the slim can be made with the same specs of these original in a smaller package why would the neo which has a better go I but everything else the same (but unblocked) need so much space to deal with the heat.

Price?

Boke1879

Bodes well for the NEO that it's heavy, this means some good cooling solutions and a higher possibility that they go with higher clocks on NEO's GPU and a more powerful CPU.

Well a Slim PS4 was always expected for the holidays, I have a feeling it will debut/launch in October in collaboration with the PSVR.

Another Vita is awesome, as Vita was the best and most powerful handheld, now imagine the new VIta with a hybrid zen and also a hybrid 460/470, that would be insane. A RX460 hybrid most likely.

I mean after the leak today. I suspect the slim model will be available damn near right after the event on the 7th.

Popsickles

I think the 3cm thicker is compared to the leaked slim not original so it would end up about the same

Oregano

You dunno what youre talking about

I know it's either hilariously impractical or downright impossible to do want you're suggesting. We also definitely would have heard about it if there was something in the Neo dev kit about supporting something significantly less powerful than the OG PS4.

If the NX rumors are true, releasing a rival dedicated handheld would be suicide. Sony won't be "competing" this time with a platform that receives only fragmentary support from Nintendo but a unified product hosting its full attention and resources.

Also if rumours of NX being at least Tegra X1 level they'll be competing against a Nintendo handheld that is much closer in power than DS and 3DS were to their competitors.

I doubt that Sony would release a successor to the Vita. If this is true, its likely a redesign. It could also be a cheap, remote-play only device. Maybe something related to PSVR? Who knows.

rpmurphy

So if a PSP3 exists, it'll either wrestle a shrinking market with Nintendo or attempt a futile effort to siphon the iOS/Android market. Sounds like a terrible business decision that Sony could have the mind to make!

StoopKid

People in the NX speculation thread already think that a Sony handheld would sell more vs a Nintendo handheld next gen.

Reminds me of VITA vs 3DS and DS vs PSP all over again.

If it played ps4 games and had same price as nx I could see it.

Eusis

Doubt it's literally 10 lbs (as the edit points out). it's probably a pound or two heavier and just feels denser. Kinda like how N64 carts were heavier than SNES or Genesis carts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom