• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
You might want to temper your expectations, unlike that crazed Neo leak thread

Most of those games can be played in small spurts

All I'm saying is...an additional 3cm, extra weight, possible external brick...

I think that may indicate a nice bump up to 5 TFLOP to accommodate a larger thermal footprint. Otherwise, it would be pretty similar in size/weight and power draw compared to the base PS4.

Sandfox

Yeah there is a game called Ever Oasis for 2017, I forgot. Like everybody else.

There is also second Story of Seasons game but XSEED didn't give a solid release date info. It could be released this year.

Yeah there are lots of unconfirmed stuff for 3DS like DQMJ3 and YW3 but there is no confirmation for those in west.

People are claiming that Vita is deader than dead in west and list wars with 3DS seems to be best way to prove that it's not. I think it's not hard to believe that there may be a second Vita revision (though it's hard for a brand new system)
When people say the Vita is dead in the west I'm pretty sure they are talking about sales ands the fact that Sony has stopped supporting it themselves. You can't even buy a new Vita from major retailers in the US anymore for example.

Also, Story of Seasons is coming out in 2017 as is DQ8 lol.

I think that may indicate a nice bump up to 5 TFLOP to accommodate a larger thermal footprint. Otherwise, it would be pretty similar in size/weight and power draw compared to the base PS4.

Sigh. It's all documented. You know what you're getting. Changing internals is a little bit different than increased ram densities. Or are you going to continue going full WUST?

kpaadet

Most of those games can be played in small spurts
Not sure why those games can be played in small "spurts" and those other ones couldn't, also why can't any single player game be played in small spurts? Both 3DS and Vita have pause/resume functions, just pause if needed not hard

lol, fire emblem has been a primarily handheld series since like 2002.
lol it still started out on console, therefore a console game. I'm just tried of the old Sony just wants to put console games on their handheld, when pretty much ALL (expect Pokemon I guess) Nintendo most successful handheld games either started or still are on their home console.

MDave

Unless Sony can secure Monster Hunter for a new handheld, I don't see them trying again without it. It was part of the reason the PSP had sold 80+ million.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Sigh. It's all documented. You know what you're getting. Changing internals is a little bit different than increased ram densities. Or are you going to continue going full WUST?

Early dev kits were documented as having 4 GB of RAM for the PS4.

I don't think the main components are suddenly being "changed", only overclocked. Big difference. They can do the latter and could have designed a couple of prototype systems based upon various configurations of clocks/RAM.

Is anyone even worried about the phrasing using "PSP" like instead of "PSVita like"? Is it only going to have a nub? Maybe it's just the frame and I'm overthinking things :[

What about a companion device? Like something shaped like a vita/psp, but runs android, is somewhat cheap to make and is able to remote play the ps4.

Maybe add a way to play the vita cards or at least able to handle digital files of the psp and vita.

The whole point of the device isn't to have a portable platform, but a way to make your primary platform, portable.

It's really the only way I could see it be successful but I'm no expert on mobile.

crinale

Is anyone even worried about the phrasing using "PSP" like instead of "PSVita like"? Is it only going to have a nub? Maybe it's just the frame and I'm overthinking things :[

Yeah it could be random Chinese electrical appliance vendor making android-based handheld.

wapplew

I think the important take away is production just started recently. Leak document dated back to march and we don't have any update since.

vpance

I think our 5.5 TF wishes came true. Expecting $499 now with this news.

Tal

I'd be interested in a device that looked and felt like a vita, but ran android and did remote play.

Unless Sony can secure Monster Hunter for a new handheld, I don't see them trying again without it. It was part of the reason the PSP had sold 80+ million.

Capcom will wait till the specs of both handhelds come out and will develop it on the platform that requires the least amount of effort.

oh please i hope to god you are right! It needs all the power it can get

I think the important take away is production just started recently. Leak document dated back to march and we don't have any update since.

There were some of us that knew what was inside the ps4 in 2012 thanks to similar Sony documents. Except for the ram, that changed. It was originally 2gb. The rest was basically identical. Timetables for development and development deadlines should tell the WUSTers all they need to know.

TIL that the difference between a console game and a handheld game is that you can't play a console game in small spurts.

I mean, there are more. Some franchises are suited more for mobile play than others.

thelastword

Banned
Reaching for red 5.5 teraflops pill.
Was always what I thought they would do......just get the GPU to standard desktop clocks or close enough.....and you're gravy. A larger console with proper cooling definitely lends to that theory/viewpoint.

What I'm really interested in is a better CPU, I think overall much more is possible with a better CPU over jaguar, because the GPU even at 4.2TF is not bad at all, but a better CPU would mean better A.I, physics, draw-distance,/drawcalls, and would help tremendously with a game like No Man's Sky for e.g. Then when I think of PS2 or even PS3 emulation for PS4/NEO, a better CPU is essential. Imagine all those PS2 games can run at 1080p 60fps instead of the rez the current PS2 classics run at. It makes so much sense to put in a better CPU....

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Was always what I thought they would do......just get the GPU to standard desktop clocks or close enough.....and you're gravy. A larger console with proper cooling definitely lends to that theory/viewpoint.

What I'm really interested in is a better CPU, I think overall much more is possible with a better CPU over jaguar, because the GPU even at 4.2TF is not bad at all, but a better CPU would mean better A.I, physics, draw-distance,/drawcalls, and would help tremendously with a game like No Man's Sky for e.g. Then when I think of PS2 or even PS3 emulation for PS4/NEO, a better CPU is essential. Imagine all those PS2 games can run at 1080p 60fps instead of the rez the current PS2 classics run at. It makes so much sense to put in a better CPU....

For compatibility reasons a better CPU isn't a huge deal, imo.

With Microsoft already revealing they have a 6 TFLOP machine in the works which is likely to be pretty expensive, maybe Sony said "what the hell", and just upped the specs because they can raise the price and not be too concerned about the competition since they have a year head start.

AU Tiger

161248w1yokgch12totf92.jpg

LMAO what is this trash?

leprechaun.jpg

:eek:

wapplew

For compatibility reasons a better CPU isn't a huge deal, imo.

With Microsoft already revealing they have a 6 TFLOP machine in the works which is likely to be pretty expensive, maybe Sony said "what the hell", and just upped the specs because they can raise the price and not be too concerned about the competition since they have a year head start.

I think if they up the spec a little they might have a parity under 1080 resolution.
Most games running at 60fps with ultra setting with 5TF card, if Neo have similar spec, Scorpio and Neo games will look and perform very close in full HD.

I mean, while on its face the idea of a Vita successor seems insane, there's a couple of angles to look at here:

A) Despite having a small install base, there's a number of extremely dedicated fans (mostly in Asia or western fans of Asian games) who buy shitloads of games for it, an audience they would effectively be ceding to Nintendo if they did nothing.

B) In the west, they could probably use a handheld device more optimized for remote play than the Vita- proper L2/R2/L3/R3 buttons would be great for one thing, as would native TV output. That could be done via a device that wasn't built to play games on its own, though, but given A it may make more sense for Sony to kill both birds with one stone.

I'd still put my money on this being not true, mind you. But if it is true, my guesses as far as the details:

1) The specs/APIs will most likely be built to make cross-platform PS4 development as easy as possible. You won't be playing Uncharted 4 or The Witcher on it, mind you, but scaling down PS3/PS4 multiplats or indie/mid-tier PS4 games should be easy enough (Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, Disgaea 5, etc.) The idea should be that Sony won't ask/expect anyone to make shit like Assassin's Creed Liberation or Uncharted Golden Abyss, just that they also put games for this on PS4/release their PS4 games on this too if it's possible.

2) Possibly digital-only. The audience talked about in A loves its physical special editions, though, so they'll probably maintain the physical game slot (probably the same base format for BC purposes.)

3) Either standard SD card support, a decent amount of internal memory, or both. While the proprietary cards probably made them decent money, it also probably turned a fair number of people off from buying the system (and more importantly, the money they gain from encouraging digital purchases would easily overtake the money they gain from proprietary cards.) It would be a pretty easy win to drop it.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Only way I'd see a Vita successor if it's effectively a portable PS4 and compatible with the entire library.

I don't know if that's even possible, even in scaled-down form.

CamHostage

People would have to know what a PS Vita is to bother describing something as "PSVita like". People don't describe something as looking like a Sacagawea Dollar, they say it looks like a quarter...

Only way I'd see a Vita successor if it's effectively a portable PS4 and compatible with the entire library.

I don't know if that's even possible, even in scaled-down form.

At present a handheld with the power/architecture to do that would be ludicrously expensive, be too hot to hold in your hands, and have a 10-minute battery life. Maybe in another 3-5 years it'll be viable, but I'm not even sure if I'd bet on that.

Cannot possibly see them ever doing another portable unless it's just simply an actual ps4 portable. Doing an entirely different thing is just implausible or its just another vita hardware revision which would be cool too I guess

It'll be a portable with Android bits, or "Xperia" features shoved in. Watch it play Pokemon GO lol.

autoduelist

A Vita successor would be insane.

In both the "Wow that's awesome!" way and the "I can't believe they still think this is worth pursuing" way.

There is some amountof value in remaining in a market that you think may expand n the future. Sony is a gadget company, and even though the vita didnt meet expectations, and mobiles and tablets are dominant, there is value in locking people into a larger ecosystem. Does sony really want someone like me leaving their portable space and going with, say nintendo? Does that risk detaching me from their ecosystem in other ways like trophies?

I hope we get get another gen portable from sony

Eh, even if they could snag the Monster Hunter, that alone isn't going to matter that much. The PSP had a line up consisting of original titles in top franchises from a variety of genres, and that's what helped it sell what it did. Unless they can wrangle something like that again, you're just going to end up with another Vita situation. And that's not going to happen unless Sony is really going to go all in with it. I just can't imagine that they will with mobile eating up the market and Nintendo dominating what is left. They just sort of abandoned mainline support for the Vita, too. I dunno, I would love a third PlayStation Portable and all, but it's hard for me to believe they're going to push forward with it. The best I hope for is a Neo like version of the Vita to extend it's lifespan.

It definitely points to a better cooling setup, they likely wouldn't go this route for no reason. I'm not convinced it will be a 5 teraflop "state 3" bump, but it should give them more wiggle-room for some kind of bump.

If we could get more ram and a decent-sized bump, I'd be ok paying a bit more, and I think others would as well.

Bitanator

With right moves, yes there is. Sony needs to moneyhat right games to third party. 2K have surprise released 2 games for Vita this year (one of them was XCOM) so why not ask them for more? Give them some money and ask a exclusive GTA game for the system and advertise the shit out of the game. I'm pretty sure results will be very positive. 2K also can bring NBA and WWE games to newly revised system (they did make NBA games for PSP as late as 2013)

First party-wise, a Gran Turismo game may kickstart the system. It did somewhat revive PSP in 2009.

No third party would do that for one with what probably only three million+ systems total in all of the US market, and it costs a good chunk of change to tailor a game to the Vita and make it really nice, there is no money to be made from either Sony or any third party. System is dead as shit, nobody knows about it except for the hardcore market and Japanese niche market, it sells well enough to that crowd, do not expect it to ever grow man, it is five years of no growth in a market that is dominated by mobile phones, wish you might the thing sleeps with the fishes when talking about relevance to mass market.

Arzehn

Even if the PSP3 was real there's no way it's leaving Asia. There's sadly no market for it in the west. It would be worse off now coming off a failure than the Vita was in 2011 coming off a success.

Bitanator

Even if the PSP3 was real there's no way it's leaving Asia. There's sadly no market for it in the west. It would be worse off now coming off a failure than the Vita was in 2011 coming off a success.

It would have to be a successor if they really are brave/stupid enough to release a new one, the Vita name is as toxic to the market as the letter U

Eh, even if they could snag the Monster Hunter, that alone isn't going to matter that much. The PSP had a line up consisting of original titles in top franchises from a variety of genres, and that's what helped it sell what it did. Unless they can wrangle something like that again, you're just going to end up with another Vita situation. And that's not going to happen unless Sony is really going to go all in with it. I just can't imagine that they will with mobile eating up the market and Nintendo dominating what is left. They just sort of abandoned mainline support for the Vita, too. I dunno, I would love a third PlayStation Portable and all, but it's hard for me to believe they're going to push forward with it. The best I hope for is a Neo like version of the Vita to extend it's lifespan.
PSP also existed in a time when the only fix you could get on mobile was Snake and shitty Breakout clones.

If there's anything to this rumor at all, it can't be anything other than a Vita revision tailored for Japan and all the PSV-PS4 cross-gen games it keeps pumping out (so a couple extra buttons for control parity, maybe more VRAM and a higher clocked processor).

That's one way to keep Vita somewhat alive after NX comes to steal its lunch as far as developers go (Koei Tecmo, Bandai Namco, indies and the like).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom