• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitanator

Per Eurogamer, NX is nothing like PSP. It sounded like it's a tablet with attachable controllers to sides.

This could be a third Vita revision. Vita is still alive in Japan and there still is a possibility to revive the system in west with a new revision. I hope Sony play their cards better this time, there are people in west who are starving for some quality handheld action.

My wish: Give me a buffed up Vita that can play PS3 and PS2 games, Sony. That could keep me busy for years.

haha dude no there is not, you can get a ps vita for so cheap now and it still is not even a blip in monthly sales in the west, something more expensive with no incentive to buy it, no Nintendo games and only indies for the hardcore market will not revive shit man.

I can see them doing a revision, but expect their memory cards to stay in place that is the only thing making them steady money off the Vita. For Japan a newer model is actually a smart choice and should be expected, I'm not surprised.

komplanen

Imagine if Sony unveiled another portable console the same month Nintendo announces theirs. No matter how badly Sony's console loses, it would be a glorious fight :-3

Imagine if Sony unveiled another portable console the same month Nintendo announces theirs. No matter how badly Sony's console loses, it would be a glorious fight :-3

If Sony launches a cheap Vita shell for remote play only with all the buttons and better wifi they could easily steal some of Nintendos Thunder.

If Sony launches a cheap Vita shell for remote play only with all the buttons and better wifi they could easily steal some of Nintendos Thunder.

That would be aiming at a completely different market then (because it would still just be a remote play handheld restricted to your house.)

Lime

It's not going to happen and I'm not sure Sony would be able to support it. Vita support and software fixes have been underwhelming, to say the least.

Vena

No. Neo will run all games with increased resolution and assets where applicable. The opposite *could* also be true.

That is not how technology works. Even at lower resolution, there is almost no hardware capable of what you envision. Moreover no software has been made with some weaker handheld in mind, all games would be unplayable garbage without extensive reworkings.

Top it all off, you have to change architecture on all fronts from CPU to GPU to available RAM. x86 is a total crap shoot for mobile.

Downscaling isn't some magic wand.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
3DS? Ehhhhhhhhh I'm gonna need to see proof of that.

Here is the release list for Vita up till end of September according to metacritic:

God Eater 2: Rage Burst
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X
Attack on Titan
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness
MeiQ: Labyrinth of Death
Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni
Criminal Girls 2: Party Favors
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters: Daybreak Special Gigs
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Darkest Dungeon
Steins;Gate 0

Total: 12 games

This is the release schedule for 3DS until December:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls
Corpse Party
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
Disney Magical World 2
Mario Party: Star Rush
Pokemon Sun/Moon

You are welcome. Which lineup prefer is up to you, but the Vita numerically has more releases for the rest of the year.

18-Volt

haha dude no there is not, you can get a ps vita for so cheap now and it still is not even a blip in monthly sales in the west, something more expensive with no incentive to buy it, no Nintendo games and only indies for the hardcore market will not revive shit man.

With right moves, yes there is. Sony needs to moneyhat right games to third party. 2K have surprise released 2 games for Vita this year (one of them was XCOM) so why not ask them for more? Give them some money and ask a exclusive GTA game for the system and advertise the shit out of the game. I'm pretty sure results will be very positive. 2K also can bring NBA and WWE games to newly revised system (they did make NBA games for PSP as late as 2013)

First party-wise, a Gran Turismo game may kickstart the system. It did somewhat revive PSP in 2009.

Here is the release list for Vita up till end of September according to metacritic:

You are welcome. Which lineup prefer is up to you, but the Vita numerically has more releases for the rest of the year.

There are more for Vita for the rest of the year:

Root Letter
Yomawari Night Alone
Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
Fate/Extrella
Akiba's Beat
Berserk
SD Gundam G Generation (Asian English)

Plus there are no game confirmed for 2017 for 3DS but Vita has plenty.

Yasumi

Banned

Careful with those facts, you might get someone buttbothered enough to question what constitutes a "game".

Vita is a really great PS1 classics machine. Haven't played an actual Vita game on it in a long time, but I'm in the middle of Chrono Trigger right now.

Apparently Vita software actually sells pretty well considering the low install base. I remember hearing on a podcast that the attach rate is extremely high but still, I would be extremely shocked if Sony gets back into handhelds.

New handheld from Sony is highly unlikely imo. But the attach rate of the Vita regarding games might've been a factor to reconsider their opinion for a new handheld.

Why do you think that a 7-inch screen confirms that it's not NX?

No confirmation as they are all rumours. But the info states a production line for a psp like device. NX with the rumoured 7 inch screen would be too big to be compared to psp, and that sentence would have been formulated differently, a tablet like device or something similar.

SaganIsGOAT

PS3 handheld pls. The Motorstorm Games, GTAV, GoW3, MGSIV, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and Resistance 3 on the go 🙏

Gimme

After going from the PSP (second favorite handheld of all time) to Vita (most disappointing system I've ever owned), I don't know if I'd be down for another Sony handheld. It's basically The DRPG System, which is just about the most unappealing thing I can imagine, with a few visual novels, indies and multiplatform games that I'd generally prefer on PS4. Would a Vita successor be able to turn things around and get back to where the PSP was (at the very least)? I kind of doubt it, especially if NX is a handheld and finds any kind of success.

18-Volt

No confirmation as they are all rumours. But the info states a production line for a psp like device. NX with the rumoured 7 inch screen would be too big to be compared to psp, and that sentence would have been formulated differently, a tablet like device or something similar.

Plus, if previous rumors were correct, NX was supposed to have entered production by May this year. This has just had its production started and probably will be released much later than NX.

injurai

Banned
New handheld from Sony is highly unlikely imo. But the attach rate of the Vita regarding games might've been a factor to reconsider their opinion for a new handheld.

The vita is at least profitable, so it makes sense to support it as a niche item. For now though I'd bet we got a Vita revision rather than a new system. I wouldn't expect two handheld generations within a single console generation.

Sandfox

A Vita successor makes no sense to me considering the Vita's current situation, lack of rumors before now ,and how little Sony themselves seem to care.

If that size is correct the Neo is going to be huge lol.

With right moves, yes there is. Sony needs to moneyhat right games to third party. 2K have surprise released 2 games for Vita this year (one of them was XCOM) so why not ask them for more? Give them some money and ask a exclusive GTA game for the system and advertise the shit out of the game. I'm pretty sure results will be very positive. 2K also can bring NBA and WWE games to newly revised system (they did make NBA games for PSP as late as 2013)

First party-wise, a Gran Turismo game may kickstart the system. It did somewhat revive PSP in 2009.

There are more for Vita for the rest of the year:

Root Letter
Yomawari Night Alone
Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
Fate/Extrella
Akiba's Beat
Berserk
SD Gundam G Generation (Asian English)

This isn't true lol.

There's Ever Oasis and Dragon Quest XI (the second one in Japan as of yet). Nice list warz you got up and running here guys. I'm missing the point though - why compare two systems in completely different situations? One of them having nothing to do with the thread too.

antonz

Plus, if previous rumors were correct, NX was supposed to have entered production by May this year. This has just had its production started and probably will be released much later than NX.

NX was not going into production in May. No company in the world makes devices just to sit on them for a year

Vena

lol May? For March? The NX is likely not even in production yet and, given the Euro leak and other info, its probably only just now finalizing hardware.

Gitaroo

I think the psp like device could be a psp retro release like the mini nes. If they can build a 150 dollar arm device that plays psone and psp games that runs on android with access to google play I can see this thing take off. People can buy and use it like a mini tablet with access to the playstation library and build in controls. If Sony ever want to get back into the portable market again, they just need to build a sub 200 mid end phone. There mobile division is shit atm, its not like they have much to loose and might as use their strong ps brand to build something unique out of the super over staturated phone market.

18-Volt

This isn't true lol.

Yeah there is a game called Ever Oasis for 2017, I forgot. Like everybody else.

There is also second Story of Seasons game but XSEED didn't give a solid release date info. It could be released this year.

There's Ever Oasis and Dragon Quest XI (the second one in Japan as of yet). Nice list warz you got up and running here guys. I'm missing the point though - why compare two systems in completely different situations? One of them having nothing to do with the thread too.

Yeah there are lots of unconfirmed stuff for 3DS like DQMJ3 and YW3 but there is no confirmation for those in west.

People are claiming that Vita is deader than dead in west and list wars with 3DS seems to be best way to prove that it's not. I think it's not hard to believe that there may be a second Vita revision (though it's hard for a brand new system)

DavidDesu

You know if they could release a sleeker Vita and with much better quality remote play with newer PS4 models to the point where it's as good as the Wii U with no lag, then it could sell decently. Still get annihilated by the NX of course and I just can't see them really doing this, but it has potential. Wii U level streaming of PS4 games from your Neo, great picture quality, no lag, in your house, and Vita games on the device when you're away from home/internet... maybe. Unlikely but not completely out of the picture.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The additional size and weight of the Neo makes ZERO sense unless there was a decent increase in specs from the rumored 4.2 tflop jaguar configuration. There was also a rumor that the power supply would be external.

I was under the impression that a 4.2 TFLOP APU would actually have similar or less cooling requirements compared to the base 1.84 TFLOP PS4 due to the process shrink.

How much of an upgrade remains to be seen, but the size/weight and possible external brick seem to indicate that it may be a nice upgrade to the rumored specs.

diaspora

You know if they could release a sleeker Vita and with much better quality remote play with newer PS4 models to the point where it's as good as the Wii U with no lag, then it could sell decently. Still get annihilated by the NX of course and I just can't see them really doing this, but it has potential. Wii U level streaming of PS4 games from your Neo, great picture quality, no lag, in your house, and Vita games on the device when you're away from home/internet... maybe. Unlikely but not completely out of the picture.

Or, OR, re-release the same device with standard microSD card support.

The additional size and weight of the Neo makes ZERO sense unless there was a decent increase in specs from the rumored 4.2 tflop jaguar configuration. There was also a rumor that the power supply would be external.

I was under the impression that a 4.2 TFLOP APU would actually have similar or less cooling requirements compared to the base 1.84 TFLOP PS4 due to the process shrink.

How much of an upgrade remains to be seen, but the size/weight and possible external brick seem to indicate that it may be a nice upgrade to the rumored specs.

You might want to temper your expectations, unlike that crazed Neo leak thread

Except pretty much all Nintendo first party games, you know like Mario Kart, Super Mario 2D and 3D games, Animal Crossing, Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem etc.

Most of those games can be played in small spurts

Pingoreous

I don't think Sony is stupid enough to rejoin the handheld market. Japan seems to be the only market were it's still viable but for Nintendo products only. Unless they can make a super cheap Vita for like $99 bucks i don't see a market for them. Time after time Nintendo destroys them with lower spec hardware why bother making a new more powerful handheld.

Rob2K19

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice
Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice
Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls
Corpse Party
Azure Striker Gunvolt: Striker Pack
Disney Magical World 2