• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: New PSP like device is in dev. / PS4 Neo weighs 10lbs / 3cm thicker than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

Either that's another -000 iteration of the Vita or its the NX. I don't believe its a next gen sony handheld. I mean why would they even bother. They got the PS4, Neo on the horizon too, and PSVR
and PS5 whenever
. Seems like enough stuff to focus on.

firelogic

Either that's another -000 iteration of the Vita or its the NX. I don't believe its a next gen sony handheld. I mean why would they even bother. They got the PS4, Neo on the horizon too, and PSVR
and PS5 whenever

Agreed. Sony is definitely not going to wade back into the handheld market after what happened with the Vita and to a lesser extent, the PSP. Sure it sold over 80 million units but the games didn't sell which is where they make their money. Sony is all in on PS4/Neo and PSVR.

Scum

Sony hasn't given a toss about the Vita for at least three years now, so I'm having a hard time believing that they'd create another handheld....

18-Volt

PSP has sold significantly more than 3DS.

I think you misunderstood me, I said both those games, Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty sold like shit on PSP., not PSP itself. Even DS had numerous AC nad CoD games. The thing is, people didn't care about them being portable or not. They have completely separate fanbase and you can't attract them to other platforms. Yet Sony moneyhatted them for Vita. Totally wrong choices.

Scum

and PS5 whenever
Yep. Would be great if it was the NX. It'll mean news of it soon enough.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Agreed. Sony is definitely not going to wade back into the handheld market after what happened with the Vita and to a lesser extent, the PSP. Sure it sold over 80 million units but the games didn't sell which is where they make their money. Sony is all in on PS4/Neo and PSVR.

The unit would be sold for Japan primarily, which is where PSP sold the most, including the games, which many sold millions just in Japan alone.

Ceding the Japanese handheld market to a high powered Nintendo unit would mean Sony's monopoly on Japanese development would be compromised, and since that's a big part of the advantage, they probably dont want that.

OmegaFax

This doesn't make any sense but that drawing and my TNG binge resulted in this five minute Photoshop.
ne2KJ9il.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
They combined the Neo with a roomba so it also vacuums your floor when you aren't around and its in rest mode. It really is going to be the center of the living room!

crinale

The unit would be sold for Japan primarily, which is where PSP sold the most, including the games, which many sold millions just in Japan alone

Catering just for Japan's niche market (i.e. Vita market) may not make financial sense alone. If you try to make some sense of Sony making another handheld is to prevent losing support of those third parties.

The thing is Japanese Otaku market isn't made of games alone but they would usually be launched as cross-media project, with games sometimes acting as the entrance point, and Sony is involved on those media-spanning project quite often.
As a matter of fact person I personally know blatantly admitted that the company he works on never makes profit on games alone but plans budget around the entire project, including TV series, comics, novels and such)
If Sony completely let those market go (to mobile or NX or whatever) then their relationship between those third parties will get thinner & thinner, and in the long run it would hurt the whole Sony media group. Also, remember big third parties do make Otaku games, and if Sony lose those games from their platform it will be like a snowball effect and may lose big game support eventually.

Then again, if you try to prevent things listed above by making another handheld it will bleed money, so it should depend on how Sony higher ups are viewing Japanese third party relationship (they could say just fuck it and focus on Western third parties too). I personally think Sony is much more "Westernized" now so they aren't going to invest on another handheld..

True Fire

Speculation: Sony's new console is a PS4P. It's being developed as a Neo competitor, and it'll be able to run PS4 games at lower specs, or downsampled Neo 4K using remote play.

They want to entice Vita devs to migrate to PS4, just like what Nintendo is doing with 3DS devs to their mainline console. It's platform consolidation.

Vena

Speculation: Sony's new console is a PS4P. It's being developed as a Neo competitor, and it'll be able to run PS4 games at lower specs, or downsampled Neo 4K using remote play.

They want to entice Vita devs to migrate to PS4, just like what Nintendo is doing with 3DS devs to their mainline console. It's platform consolidation.

The specs to do that do not exist in a portable at any realistic price point.

Also no games were made with it in mind.

Neoxon

The PSP-like device is either the NX or a revision of the Vita. Given Sony's comments, I doubt that they're working on another handheld unless they really want to undercut Nintendo's hybrid.

no way it's NX. It's supposed to use a 7 inch screen. It's probably another Vita revision. Hard to see Sony going back to handheld.

The thing that would make most sense to me, if it's not a second revision, would be a cheap handheld device that allows you to crossplay all of their PSN PSOne and PS2 games.

LordOfChaos

Can't wait to see Scorpio's cooling setup to cool that 6tf.

Might be a monster (I like monsters).

Remember how the original PS3 heatsink went across nearly the entire device width? That's what I want a repeat of...Except unlike the PS3, make it whisper silent instead, and dissipate enough heat to sustain a jump in clock from the rumoured specs.

7972_large_3000_large_heatsink.jpg

(looking back now though, it seems inefficient that the heat pipes merely touch the bottom rather than becoming integrated in the aluminum)

PSP2/PSvita2
-backwards compatible with PSP and Vita
-No rear touchpad, or gyro, etc.

No Gyro, but you want Backwards Compatibility with Vita?
Gyro Aiming is awesome in Killzone and Uncharted. Headshots are so much easier/quicker. I think all PlayStation shooters should have that as an option, and the gyro inputs should translate when playing in Remote Play.

AlucardGV

Banned
Sony hasn't given a toss about the Vita for at least three years now, so I'm having a hard time believing that they'd create another handheld....

yes but in japan vita keep selling. maybe it's enough to justify a "psneo" model, where the vita will get incremental hardware without changing much, so they won't spend money on R&D?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Better cooling, a better/bigger PSU, higher clocked parts, yet whisper quiet, it's not out of the realm of possibility. As a matter of fact, I welcome a 10lb console that's powerful, well built and does not break easily.

I'll take a weighty fruitcake if it's quiet.

Derphoof

The vita still has developers?

AniHawk

Or maybe Sony is trying to compete directly with the NX through a new unified handheld device.

then it would either need to run on ps4 discs or be download-only.

i could see the latter happening - especially just for japan if they start selling more and more download cards in stores. the memory cards would have to be gigantic though.

Danlord

How would games be run on a 'PS4P' ?

Because as far as I understand it, and I could be off-base so please correct if/when that happens - that the PS4 is running under x86 and mobile chipsets aren't likely to be running that architecture, so Sony would need to have some kind of 'emulator' (or maybe translator) if that's the right word to translate the code that runs on x86 to whatever chipset this theoretical PS4P would be running.
Secondly, how would the games detect the PS4P hardware to know to downgrade? Would they have to be patched specifically and if so, would that mean the mobile hardware would require large internal storage especially if many games are like close to the 50GB limit? Would games be re-released in a cartridge form but more or less the same build form the PS4 version?

I don't know.

I was burned with Vita. Sony mis-handled that so badly especially with the proprietary memory cards among other things and I was never into handhelds but decided to give Vita a go if it meant I could have powerful PlayStation experiences on the go, rather than small bite-sized games. But I never felt there was enough for me on Vita and with the extortionately priced memory cards and lack of quality releases (for me), the platform died for me.

If Sony were to revive their handheld business and for me to be interested again, they'd have to use non-proprietary memory cards, a reasonable-sized internal storage, All 4 shoulder buttons and clickable analogue sticks. They'd have to be reasonably powerful enough that it could run UE4/Unity5 well enough that it would get third-party attention(A Snapdragon 820 could be enough, right?). Sony to invest considerable effort in their part to making plenty of titles and for a longer period. A 2560*1440p display running 1280*720p games and native 1440p UI elements. Not expecting OLED but it would be nice. Form factor is not important really, whether it's sliding mechanic (PSPgo), flippable (3DS) or just open design (PSP/Vita) - I'd be happy with any of them. Use microUSB for the charging/connection port! 5GHz WiFi wouldn't hurt either.

Ooccoo

Why develop a new handheld instead of pushing the Vita is sad. They could do so much more yet they killed it (basically).

Bad specultation. Neo competitor? Downsampled Remote Play? That shit's impossible and impracticable. Hell no PS4 game is designed to be portable, just look at the scaling when streaming a PS4 game with remote play.

The Nintendo PlayStation is back guys!!!1!
Its a hand held.

PSX -> NX
Coincidence? I think not.

Nintendo Vita
NIntenDo VItA
NIDVIA
NVIDIA
Coincidence? I think not.

ancient-aliens-1.png

/s

Nhutty

Needs micro SD, backwards compatible with existing Vita, decent battery life, better wifi and R2/L2 buttons and I'm sold.

Grinchy

Banned
A NeoVita would be kinda cool. They could just soup up the Vita, ditch the back touchpad and cameras, give it 2 shoulder buttons, and it would immediately become what the Vita should have always been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom