• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Next Gen Sonic Game is called Sonic Runners

Crayolan

SM3DL is pretty bad for a Mario game, but let's not pretend that Generations or any of the other post-2006 boost roller-coaster Sonic non-games are anything but mediocre at best.

Unleashed is okay.

Colors is good.

Generations is fantastic.

So I'll keep on pretending.

Lethe82

Banned
They should really put time and effort into making a real physics engine for some that seeks to replicate the kind of physics based movement seen in the original games. Everything, even the good recent Sonic games (like Colors and Unleashed and Generations) have been using smoke and mirrors, heck the Classic Sonic portions of Generations made that painfully obvious.

Generations is the only game to actually understand how to make sonic work in 3D and have level designs that compliment that understanding. It's a great game that is sadly dragged down by the sloppy 2D portions with broken physics.

They should really put time and effort into making a real physics engine for some that seeks to replicate the kind of physics based movement seen in the original games. Everything, even the good recent Sonic games (like Colors and Unleashed and Generations) have been using smoke and mirrors, heck the Classic Sonic portions of Generations made that painfully obvious.

They're better off making a fun game.

The classic segments were the worst part of the game. I don't think you paid very much attention if you think they even remotely recreate what made the original games great. The physics sucked and the level design hardly utilized the pinball nature of the character.

What's to stop them making a fun game while replicating classic physics? Classic levels in Generations definitely would have been better if the physics were closer to the originals.

I just feel that trying to cater to the lapsed Genesis fans, outside of Generations, would be a weird choice to make. They had a good thing going with Modern Sonic's gameplay, and I'd like them to continue that.

I see people are using the mirrors edge thing. That would be cool if we had first person perspective with morpheus and the rift. Be weird but, pretty awesome.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just feel that trying to cater to the lapsed Genesis fans, outside of Generations, would be a weird choice to make. They had a good thing going with Modern Sonic's gameplay, and I'd like them to continue that.
I say they haven't catered to us enough. They fooled us in to thinking we were getting a classic style game with Sonic 4 and completely fucked that up. Then the classic gameplay in Generations didn't feel all that classic. If they did decide to make a Sonic game that played like the originals I wouldn't be complaining. They kind of owe us that after the false advertisement of Sonic 4.

But yeah I'm also fine with the modern direction they're going in and at the end of the day I just want good Sonic games.

Lethe82

Banned
The classic segments were the worst part of the game. I don't think you paid very much attention if you think they even remotely recreate what made the original games great. The physics sucked and the level design hardly utilized the pinball nature of the character.

That's what I just said.

Lethe82

Banned
Haha, touche.

They're better off making a fun game.

Classic Sonic was the funnest the IP has ever been, I am not saying that they simply go make 'Sonic The Hedgehog 5 with actual physics' (but hey that wouldn't be bad either) but putting effort into a 3D space physics model that made use of the pinball rolling nature of Sonic might, y'know, end up being a good direction to go in. Freaking Mario has more physics than Sonic these days. I loved Colors, but I think it's time that we get something more than just very automated grind rail fests. The 2D portions of Colors (that served to break up the flow and keep the player engaged) were good, but they more often than not started to also feel like very rigid mini puzzles, because Sonic himself was so rigid mechanical.

Haha, touche.

Classic Sonic was the funnest the IP has ever been, I am not saying that they simply go make 'Sonic The Hedgehog 5 with actual physics' (but hey that wouldn't be bad either) but putting effort into a even a 3D space physics model that made use of the pinball rolling nature of Sonic might, y'know, end up being a good direction to go in. Freaking Mario has more physics than Sonic these days.

All that really needs to happen is for them to just realize that rolling down a slope should make you build up more speed than doing a stationary spin dash.

How would that be weird? Ever since they have moved away from what made those games so timeless, they have kept redoing the formula because whatever they come up with never sticks. Everything they do now is just an automated mess that relies on spectacle features more than input and that is mainly what the Modern Sonic games do now.

I am still waiting for that spiritual successor to S3K.

morikaze

Banned
featuring next gen graphics

tumblr_n0wa2qfn3e1qeablwo1_250.gif

This. I'm down for this. This is the change the Sonic franchise needs.

Azure J

After the trifecta of Colors, Generations and Lost World, I pretty much agree. When Sega sat down and said "we're doing this and we're going to make it fun" versus trying to capture everyone and then some with the rickshaw and misguided design of the games that came prior, it resulted in a very unique set of experiences. Lost World is included here because while it does attempt to hearken back to the days of the Genesis with how it handles the speed, it adds a lot of cool ideas and move to Sonic's kit that could really further push the ideas laid out for the 3D parts of Colors/Generations.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Unless its secretly Sonic R 2 "Runners" is an even less inspired title then Boom & Generations! Totally terrible even for a project codename x.x

How would that be weird? Ever since they have moved away from what made those games so timeless, they have kept redoing the formula because whatever they come up with never sticks. Everything they do now is just an automated mess that relies on spectacle features more than input and that is mainly what the Modern Sonic games do now.

I am still waiting for that spiritual successor to S3K.

Unleashed, Colors, and Generations built upon each other, and it made for some of the best games Sonic has ever seen. If you're looking for them to go back to the 3K well, then you're going to be waiting for an awfully long time.

Usually posts from people mouthing off at good games they haven't played make them shit posts and their opinion irrelevant. Or is it okay for me to walk into a W101 thread and trash the game and it's gameplay without having tried it?

It's different for Sonic games because it's cool to hate.

Lethe82

Banned

Outside of the Classics era, not many Sonic games are legitimately good on their own merits. Even something like Generations is good 'for a Sonic game' while being only decent overall. It's not about solely appealing to old school fans, it's about building a game that is more than just smoke and mirrors and creates a solid foundation for gameplay in the future. Why shouldn't we be advocating for more legitimate gameplay to the formula? Why does it have to be solely Simon says branching paths.

Outside of the Classics era, not many Sonic games are legitimately good on their own merits. Even something like Generations is good 'for a Sonic game' while being only decent overall. It's not about solely appealing to old school fans, it's about building a game that is more than just smoke and mirrors and creates a solid foundation for gameplay in the future. Why shouldn't we be advocating for more legitimate gameplay to the formula? Why does it have to be solely Simon says branching paths.

Unleashed, Colors, and Generations stand on their own (well, half of Unleashed :p ). They're all good games in their own right without adding some "for a Sonic game" qualifier. I'm not completely against Sonic Team making a game based around the Classic Sonic gameplay, but it just seems like that time has passed. Plus I really, really want more Modern Sonic gameplay, but that's me being selfish.

This sounds like something someone who hasn't played Colors or Generations would say.

Generations wasn't perfect, especially when great 2D/3D platformers exist like Donkey Kong Country Returns/Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World, but it's essentially what I wanted out of a console Sonic experience, with the tiniest bit of filler to pad it out. A solid 7-8/10 game. I probably have over 50 hours in it, I got more than my money's worth and definitely think it was a great send-off of the series for me. The game I wanted since Adventure 2, basically: all Sonic levels, no story.

Unleashed, Colors, and Generations built upon each other, and it made for some of the best games Sonic has ever seen. If you're looking for them to go back to the 3K well, then you're going to be waiting for an awfully long time.

You know Beef... I thought I would never be able to see eye to eye with you after hearing your opinions of 3rd Strike. But I'm glad to know you got taste.

In Sonic atleast.

Yes, they built upon each other, but they still suffer from the glaring flaws with boosting.

RobbieNick

One more interesting thing was from Jazwares toy fare booth this year that had a sign mentioning the live-action movie before it was ever announced and that Sonic Team's next game in 2015 would be on next gen consoles. No longer exclusive to Wii U.

Blueblur1

Looking forward to whatever they have cooking. I have faith it'll be as good as the last wave of Sonic Team developed games (ignoring Lost World).

The sheer amount of automation/spectacle to wow the player.
Sonic handling like a car.
Most enemies being boost/homing attack fodder.
Bottomless pits being most of the difficulty of stages.
etc. etc.

Most of those things you can say the same for the spindash in classic games.

WillyFive

The sheer amount of automation/spectacle to wow the player.
Sonic handling like a car.
Most enemies being boost/homing attack fodder.
Bottomless pits being most of the difficulty of stages.
etc. etc.

Will you elaborate on how you consider these to be flaws, or how they are different from the Genesis Sonic games?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Usually posts from people mouthing off at good games they haven't played make them shit posts and their opinion irrelevant. Or is it okay for me to walk into a W101 thread and trash the game and it's gameplay without having tried it?

So Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic 06 are good games? Tell me that with a straight face. Those are what came out after Adventure 2. A real shame if people missed out on those classics...

So Sonic Heroes, Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic 06 are good games? Tell me that with a straight face. Those are what came out after Adventure 2. A real shame if people missed out on those classics...

They're not, but Sonic has had a string of good games after 06 when they hired new people. Now he has a shitty game again that's not even made by Sonic Team, and we're back to the old tired jokes.

Top Bottom