• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nintendo aiming for Zelda BotW release on June 16 (EUR), Switch release first

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fucking long can one game take to make? I mean, seriously, for their 'biggest ever production team', this is some real bullshit.

They're trying to make a Bethesda game except without it running like a Bethesda game. Think about that. Then consider how many complex systems they have interacting with one another, then consider that it had a platform change mid-stream to hardware with no middleware, then consider that this is their flagship release, and that their corporate reputation - maybe even continued existence as a first party - is riding on it to a significant degree. In a world where FF XV & the Last Guardian are things, this isn't even close to bullshit territory.

Plum

How are the leaks detrimental to consumers?

They aren't, I never said so. They're detrimental to Nintendo, however, so they've done what they have the legal power to do.

Tell me, why should Nintendo give LKD revenue via marketing tools? That's all this is about, they haven't silenced her, just refused to give her review copies or invite her to their events.

Shiggy

So it's in the public interest to know botw release date now and not on January 12? I don't follow you logic.

Thanks to LKD, customers know they should not buy a Wii U if they want Zelda first.

But on a serious note, thanks to her leaks I won't be buying Mario Maker 3DS and instead wait for the Switch version. Maybe others do the same for all the other ports.

giphy.gif

Damnit, read it as June 19th, oh well, close enough

So it's in the public interest to know botw release date now and not on January 12? I don't follow you logic.
We knew it wasn't coming out at launch and we would've been told it's coming at that date before Switch came out so it doesn't really matter.
You can argue Pokémon Sun and Moon port is beneficial, but that wasn't her.
These leaks haven't been for the consumer
You usually don't leak every possible thing you can just because you can. Especially while expecting to not get any backlash.

I posted this in the main Switch thread but it's pretty relevant here too:

Hummm, just found this from the GameStop report yesterday:

Source

Assuming this is calendar year quarters (I can't imagine what else it would be) then this is indicating that Zelda will be out before the end of March, right? Could just be placeholder info, but it's strange that GameStop would more or less be assigning a date to Zelda when Nintendo has only officially said 2017...

I say calendar year because it has Black Friday and Christmas in Q4 '16, May 4th in Q2 '17, etc.

I'm assuming this is just a guess by GameStop but it's interesting that they're confident enough to give Zelda a launch month. I guess there's always the chance that Laura is wrong, though history tells us she has very good sources so I doubt that.

Shiggy

I posted this in the main Switch thread but it's pretty relevant here too:

Hummm, just found this from the GameStop report yesterday:

Source

Assuming this is calendar year quarters (I can't imagine what else it would be) then this is indicating that Zelda will be out before the end of March, right? Could just be placeholder info, but it's strange that GameStop would more or less be assigning a date to Zelda when Nintendo has only officially said 2017...

I say calendar year because it has Black Friday and Christmas in Q4 '16, May 4th in Q2 '17, etc.

LKD is more reliable than that. Multiple sources indicate the game won't be ready for launch.

no way the WiiU version has a retail release mid-2017 with zero WiiU products in stores,

I am calling digital only.

Nah. Online retailers at minimum will definitely have a disc wii u version, even if it's hard to find in stores. Might be GameStop only in America, but it'll exist.

Red Devil

I thought that Monolith Soft was working on Zelda.

In general they collaborate with a bunch of Nintendo games, but that's that, I think they did that for SS and ALBW and a bunch other titles like Splatoon.

The Wii U version of YL is the only version being internally developed by Playtonic, so they will probably do everything in their power to make sure it runs well and leaves a good impression as their first game.

Won't there be a Switch version of Yooka-Laylee eventually? Is the PC version being developed by somebody else too?

I'm still more intrigued by the Wii U version since I get the benefit of having the map on the gamepad instead of the TV. Unless the Switch version does this, or has some significant performance bump, I don't even want it on the new system.

I'll wait. The only game I want on Switch right now if the port rumors are true is Mario, to be honest. I'm fine with that as my only purchase.

Same, if I have gotten a Switch by then I could also end up getting the Wii U one anyway.

Much like TP, it's probably for the best. Don't imagine many Wii U owners that won't want a Switch and it's not too long a wait.
Also helps with piracy since that's going to be running rampant by the time the game comes out

As Wii U owner, so far the only game that interests me in the first few months is the new Mario game, because even Zelda, at least by the time being, is also coming to Wii U.

I would love a double pack with both the Switch and Wii U version, I can't see the demand for that being high but it would be great for those transitioning from Wii U to Switch.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I enjoy her leaks, but journalists don't actually report on any info they get. They don't leak corporate information just for the sake of leaking it if it's not serving a significant public interest. Reducing it like that is drastically downplaying the ethics journalists have to think about every single day.

Journalists actually report any info that is reliable enough from their point of view. Just look at Jason Schreier.

The significant public interest is a bullshit. It's not something that it's easily quantifiable. If there is no public interest in what a journalist reports it will have no audience to report to. That's how it's regulated. Unless it's reporting fake news. Which is a different topic. Fake news would justify blacklisting.

Saying that Laura deserves to be punished because she reports things earlier than Nintendo wants to is some bullshit on the level of the reaction of NMS fandom to Jason reporting the delay of NMS.

It's Nintendo right to blacklist her, but that doesn't make it necessarily OK.

I don't think you can fault a company for looking out for its interests. It sucks, but she is cooperating with a person who is clearly breaking NDA and if Nintendo can't get to the source breaking the NDA then they will do whatever they can to dissuade the reporter from continuing the leaks.

Hopefully Nintendo just becomes more communicative in the future and we don't have to rely on leakers and journalists to dig up info.

Branduil

I don't think you can fault a company for looking out for its interests. It sucks, but she is cooperating with a person who is clearly breaking NDA and if Nintendo can't get to the source breaking the NDA then they will do whatever they can to dissuade the reporter from continuing the leaks.

Hopefully Nintendo just becomes more communicative in the future and we don't have to rely on leakers and journalists to dig up info.

Sure I can, when their "interests" run counter to a free press.

El Topo

They aren't, I never said so.

See updated post.

Tell me, why should Nintendo give LKD revenue via marketing tools? That's all this is about, they haven't silenced her, just refused to give her review copies or invite her to their events.

From what I understand she will no longer receive hardware/software from Nintendo UK. I assume this might include events as well, but who knows?
Either way, assuming this is true, this sends the message that those that cover Nintendo in a welcome manner may receive privileges and those that do not - here by revealing information, but this may very well include criticism or bad reviews - will not be supported. That is their right, but that doesn't mean consumers should be happy about it, given the implications. I will say though, in case it is brought up, that I am generally not a fan of providing material to journalists.

Just to be clear, many companies do this and this is (hopefully/apparently) not even remotely close to e.g. the infamous Jason Chen story. This is not a big story, e.g. they did not take any legal action and the rest of LPVG is unaffected, but it is nonetheless annoying.

nynt9

It makes their E3 2016 blowout kind of awkward considering the game comes out after E3 2017, but they really had nothing to show and were going to be in an awkward place regardless. Oh Nintendo...

Interfectum

Journalists actually report any info that is reliable enough from their point of view. Just look at Jason Schreier.

The significant public interest is a bullshit. It's not something that it's easily quantifiable. If there is no public interest in what a journalist reports it will have no audience to report to. That's how it's regulated. Unless it's reporting fake news. Which is a different topic. Fake news would justify blacklisting.

Saying that Laura deserves to be punished because she reports things earlier than Nintendo wants to is some bullshit on the level of the reaction of NMS fandom to Jason reporting the delay of NMS.

She's leaking NDA'd information. Of course Nintendo is going to try and stop some random person on Twitter from spoiling all their surprises. I'm not sure how you can say Nintendo has any fault here, morally or otherwise. And this is coming from someone who is enjoying her leaks and hoping they continue.

Zalman

I hope they have some heavy hitters between launch and June. If 3D Mario and Splatoon are day one, then I could see Mario Kart in April or May. Hopefully at least one more. Gotta keep the momentum.

E-phonk

Banned
That should give us something like this for 2017 based on current rumoured titles, without unannounced 3rd party titles:

Launch:
3D Mario, Skyrim, RabbidsXYoshi RPG, Splatoon, mario sports, Just dance, Lego Land Switch, NBA2K

April: Some WiiU Port (mario maker?) + something new firstparty
May: Mario Kart 8.5
June: Zelda: BotW

And in H2 2017 Pokemon Stars, Pikmin 4, Smash Bros Ultimate Switch, Xenoblade X, Dragon Quest XI, Sonic Switch, Guardians of the galaxy

Still a lot of publishers and expected games unaccounted for, like capcom, koei, Activision, Atlus and EA

Faustek

I know it makes sense financially, but Nintendo's willingness to toss WiiU owners under a bus for the sake Switch sales is really not treating their customers well.

When will people understand than no company is your friend. They are only here to make us spend money on their things. They aren't your sweetheart, you best mate Fuck they aren't even that weird ass "friend" you run into once every ten years.

"Guess I'm not buying a Switch now." - No Wii U Owner Ever

Me? I'm not buying a Switch until they give me what I need yo know before making that purchase.

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/801370512379224065

Laura Kate Dale in action again. She's also apparently been blacklisted by Nintendo UK now.

What's the source of her being blacklisted? First I heard of it.

Neiteio

BotW already looks AMAZING, so I can only imagine an extra half-year of development time will push it over the top into GOAT territory

Neiteio

That should give us something like this for 2017 based on current rumoured titles, without unannounced 3rd party titles:

Launch:
3D Mario, Skyrim, RabbidsXYoshi RPG, Splatoon, mario sports, Just dance, Lego Land Switch, NBA2K

April: Some WiiU Port (mario maker?) + something new firstparty
May: Mario Kart 8.5
June: Zelda: BotW

And in H2 2017 Pokemon Stars, Pikmin 4, Smash Bros Ultimate Switch, Xenoblade X, Dragon Quest XI, Sonic Switch, Guardians of the galaxy

Still a lot of publishers and expected games unaccounted for, like capcom, koei, Activision, Atlus and EA
Wait, what's this Mario Sports title you mention for launch?

TannerDemoz

She's leaking NDA'd information. Of course Nintendo is going to try and stop some random person on Twitter from spoiling all their surprises. I'm not sure how you can say Nintendo has any fault here, morally or otherwise. And this is coming from someone who is enjoying her leaks and hoping they continue.

^ That's the most sensible post I've read on the matter

Neifirst

Great news! I'll have too many PS4 games to play in January through April anyway, so I'll just pick up a Switch in the summertime (assuming there aren't wany Wii-type shortages).

mrmickfran

That ain't so bad. I expected November.

Of course Wii U gets it last. But at least it's a week and not a whole month like Twilight Princess.

But a 3D Mario, then a new Zelda 3 months later? Fuck

Plum

She reports things earlier than Nintendo wants to, and in turn is encouraging employees from within Nintendo to break Non Disclosure Agreements. Like I've said before, this information is not information that is harmful to the consumer (and no, Pokemon Stars isn't; if that's harmful every GOTY edition is as well), so there is much less moral justification for leaking it. There's evidence to suggest that leaks can directly harm marketing efforts; the last Microsoft E3 showing had much less of an impact because the entire thing was spoiled beforehand; in the very thread full of otherwise level-headed GAF members people were being disappointed just because of that.

From what I understand she will no longer receive hardware/software from Nintendo UK. I assume this might include events as well, but who knows?
Either way, assuming this is true, this sends the message that those that cover Nintendo in a welcome manner may receive privileges and those that do not - here by revealing information, but this may very well include criticism or bad reviews - will not be supported. That is their right, but that doesn't mean consumers should be happy about it, given the implications. I will say though, in case it is brought up, that I am generally not a fan of providing material to journalists.

Just to be clear, many companies do this and this is (hopefully/apparently) not even remotely close to e.g. the infamous Jason Chen story. This is not a big story, but it is nonetheless annoying.

Look at it the other way; if Nintendo gave her free games and invited her to exclusive events despite all this then it only encourages more employees to leak despite their NDAs whilst encouraging more journalists to report on it. Nintendo hasn't shown any evidence of wanting to trounce bad reviews or even discussion on their leaks in the past (otherwise GameXplain would be blacklisted as well as they've done both), they're directly going after one of the few people reporting on these leaks. Blacklisting in this sense is not silencing, it's the refusal to help someone any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom