• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Nintendo aiming for Zelda BotW release on June 16 (EUR), Switch release first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Much like TP, it's probably for the best. Don't imagine many Wii U owners that won't want a Switch and it's not too long a wait.
Also helps with piracy since that's going to be running rampant by the time the game comes out

Hermii

I will buy both the Switch and Zelda: BotW plus the Wii U version, just like with Twilight Princess. I like to see the differences if there are any.

I dont know if its confirmed, but the wii u Version should have gamepad functionality at least on par With wwhd, and the switch Version should have stabler framerate, improved Graphics and maybe some system specific gimmick.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It's only a part of Monolith Soft who helps on different Nintendo projects.

Aonuma did say both the Kyoto studio which usually assists Nintendo is not working alone. Since Takahashi's next game sounds super early there's very likely no need for a full production team even internally right now so people from Tokyo can contribute to Zelda in between X and the next game.

What if it truly runs smoother on Switch though?
If it's noticeably better immediately, and not "I had to watch side by side to see which is best" better, then I'll grab it. Other than that, I'm not interested. The only thing I hate as much as slow performance is HUD elements. Hopefully it shows some impressive gains in the January Direct.

Omikaru

I'll probably play Breath of the Wild on Switch (the rumours of Pokémon Stars have convinced me I should start saving up for one now, just in case), but I'll keep the Wii U version on order as I'm a fan of clinging on to rarer games.

I still think the Wii U version will get quietly canned. As I've said before, there's no way they'd release one of the biggest ever games for the system over half a year after they've stopped making the system you're supposed to play it on.

You can't quietly can a Zelda game. The second its future is in any doubt, the press will be all over it. I know Nintendo isn't necessarily media savvy and sometimes appears as out of touch, but even they have to know killing the Wii U's final game before it even releases would create a lot of noise, and not particularly good noise either.

And while most people are supposed to play it on Switch at this point, Nintendo aren't going to screw over Wii U owners (i.e. their most loyal fans) in order to sell them new £250 hardware when the game has been announced for a system said fans already own.

While Nintendo obviously has an obligation to sell Switch systems ahead of Wii U, part of that strategy is to not make Wii U owners feel like they've been shortchanged.

Happy Wii U customers = future Switch owners. Nintendo would be foolish to kill the Wii U version of BotW because it would erode confidence in its successor among some of Nintendo's most loyal customers.

Plum

Blacklisting journalists (barring any wrongdoing) is something that should never be accepted. It's a terrible practice that severely hurts consumers.

How is leaking a bunch of game announcements not wrongdoing? It's nice to hear about but only Nintendo is getting harmed in leaks such as these, they have every right to blacklist her.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I thought that Monolith Soft was working on Zelda.

Nintendo has a "cooperation studio" (this is how they thank them in credits) structure for additional support artists that include Monolith Soft, 1-Up Studio, and Digitalscape. They basically provide supplemental art staff towards the final production phases of games.

Basically this means while Nintendo's lead artists create the main characters and environment art, they usually use the back-up artists to fill in things like additional non-playable characters, objects, and textures. These are things that are typically outsourced by all developers making big 3D games.

Monolith Soft is one of the support studios that provides additional asset artists.

Aonuma did say both the Kyoto studio which usually assists Nintendo is not working alone. Since Takahashi's next game sounds super early there's very likely no need for a full production team even internally right now so people from Tokyo can contribute to Zelda in between X and the next game.

It was Miyamoto who answered a question regarding if Monolith was assisting [graphics] again. Miyamoto answered, yes Monolith was assisting, and that the overall Zelda team was big with general staff from Kyoto and Tokyo all working together. But many misconstrued that statement just to refer to Monolith.

El Topo

How is leaking a bunch of game announcements not wrongdoing?

Journalists are not accomplices of companies. It is not their duty to withhold information from the public for the benefit of a company. Revealing information is by itself no wrongdoing.
It should go without saying, but blacklisting journalists is harmful for us consumers.

The game is releasing in June? That's a bummer. So based on nothing but rumors and speculation the launch games will mostly be ports and a new Mario game maybe? Ugh. If true its the Wii U launch all over again.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How is leaking a bunch of game announcements not wrongdoing? It's nice to hear about but only Nintendo is getting harmed in leaks such as these, they have every right to blacklist her.

Journalism doesn't mean complying or supporting a company's PR schedule (unless you sign an NDA in exchange for a review copy for example, but this is not the case here). Journalism means reporting on the news and info you get.

She's not the leak; her source is.

Laura's doing her job as a game journalist/reporter. You can't fault her for reporting what she's hearing from credible sources. Though I do understand why Nintendo are blacklisting her.

I understand criticising the person leaking stuff inside Nintendo though; that's a pretty shitty thing to do to the company you work for.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
the switch Version should have stabler framerate, improved Graphics and maybe some system specific gimmick.

I believe it's called portability. :)

So based on nothing but rumors and speculation the launch games will mostly be ports and a new Mario game maybe? Ugh. If true its the Wii U launch all over again.

If what we have heard about that Mario game is true, then is this is the polar fucking opposite of the Wii-U launch

Plum

Journalists are not accomplices of companies. It is not their duty to withhold information from the public for the benefit of a company. Doing this is by itself in no way wrongdoing.

Nintendo isn't an accomplice to journalists either. If one is harming their future marketing efforts for their own gain why can't they protect themselves from future harm by blacklisting them? The counter-arguments I've been receiving seem to imply that because LKD is in her rights to report on this stuff Nintendo shouldn't use their legal rights to retaliate.

that's because at the time of their release, the WiiU was still being supported by Nintendo, production is ending and I don't think retailers will phase out and wait till after Zelda to get rid of the WiiU line of products.

because Wii games are playable on WiiU, not to mention the Wii was a massive success,

Switch won't play any of those games so with no hardware in stores to accompany the sotfware, I don't think there's room for a lone WiiU game in store shleves.

As I said, I can't imagine retailers wanting any WiiU stuff in their stores mid2017.

There's no way that's how it goes down. Switch isn't selling 13 million units in the first 3 months. If it gets wide release (as opposed to a retailer exclusive) it's entirely possible that the Wii U version comes close or even outsells the Switch in the early going; it's going to be the only way most people can play it at launch.

And of course retailers will make room for Zelda. It's one of the most heavily promoted games of the decade. They still have Wii U sections now, they're not going to dump all of that stock in the next 7 months. Zelda Wii U will not only be carried, it'll be prominently displayed.

ggx2ac

Fucking Nintendo knows exactly what they are doing. Would love to hear their reasoning for the wiiu delay.

Consumer confusion: "Why is Zelda on a disc? How do I insert it into the Switch?"

Also the fact that Wii U sales would cannibalise Switch sales. Remember Smash Bros? They released the 3DS version first because part of the reason was that it was not the HD version so it sold well and people ended up double dipping on Wii U.

A week difference means having patience or forking out the money to buy a Switch to play it sooner.

Yes, I know what I am saying has no positives.

Twiforce

Nintendo isn't an accomplice to journalists either. If one is harming their future marketing efforts for their own gain why can't they protect themselves from future harm by blacklisting them?

If Nintendo is putting out genuinely desirable and worthwhile products, no amount of leaks will actually hurt them. If they require a carefully planned PR campaign that relies on secrecy and surprises to actually make a profit than they don't deserve consumers money.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It was Miyamoto who answered a question regarding if Monolith was assisting [graphics] again. Miyamoto answered, yes Monolith was assisting, and that the overall Zelda team was big with general staff from Kyoto and Tokyo all working together. But many misconstrued that statement just to refer to Monolith.

I thought it was simply the amount of staff that was misunderstood? Which of course made sense since 100 people from Monolith was too crazy to be true.

Monolith had a lot of staff working on Skyward Sword though, and their Kyoto studio is still pretty small from what I understand.

Clearly they want most people to get the Switch to play this, however unless it's dramatically better looking I can see most Wii U owners waiting.

ubiblu

How fucking long can one game take to make? I mean, seriously, for their 'biggest ever production team', this is some real bullshit.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I thought it was simply the amount of staff that was misunderstood? Monolith had a lot of staff working on Skyward Sword, and their Kyoto studio is still pretty small from what I understand.

I'm sure that there will be contributing artist from Monolith Kyoto and Tokyo. But there are also Nintendo Tokyo artists who work on Zelda, and 1-Up Studio (Tokyo). That's what the scope is really referring to.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
it's dramatically better looking I can see most Wii U owners waiting.

I'd have thought that a good chunk of the people that own Wii-U's will have already bought a Switch by the time Zelda releases.

Plum

If Nintendo is putting out genuinely desirable and worthwhile products, no amount of leaks will actually hurt them. If they require a carefully planned PR campaign that relies on secrecy and surprises to actually make a profit than they don't deserve consumers money.

That doesn't explain why they shouldn't be allowed to use their rights to blacklist LKD. I'm pretty sure every single company out there would do the same if all the leaks were being reported by a single source.

tsab

So
one week
exclusivity for the Switch.
I dig it they have to boost the Switch, every little bit matters I guess.

0e3.png

El Topo

Nintendo isn't an accomplice to journalists either. If one is harming their future marketing efforts for their own gain why can't they protect themselves from future harm by blacklisting them? The counter-arguments I've been receiving seem to imply that because LKD is in her rights to report on this stuff Nintendo shouldn't use their legal rights to retaliate.

Nintendo is free to engage in behavior that targets the press and is solely detrimental to consumers. They should be criticized for that.

Plum

Nintendo is free to engage in behavior that targets the press and is solely detrimental to consumers. They should be criticized for that.

How would these leaks not happening be detrimental to consumers? We're talking about game announcements here, not whistleblowing.

robotrock

Banned
I dont know if its confirmed, but the wii u Version should have gamepad functionality at least on par With wwhd, and the switch Version should have stabler framerate, improved Graphics and maybe some system specific gimmick.

Apparently in the E3 demos, it had absolutely zero touchscreen functionality on the gamepad. I heard it just showed the game's logo and that was it.
How would these leaks not happening be detrimental to consumers? We're talking about game announcements here, not whistleblowing.

It would have been nice to know about the Pokemon Sun/Moon port to Switch before I bought it for my 3DS

wrowa

Journalism doesn't mean complying or supporting a company's PR schedule (unless you sign an NDA in exchange for a review copy for example, but this is not the case here). Journalism means reporting on the news and info you get.

I enjoy her leaks, but journalists don't actually report on any info they get. They don't leak corporate information just for the sake of leaking it if it's not serving a significant public interest. Reducing it like that is drastically downplaying the ethics journalists have to think about every single day.

Brix

Man...i want to know what the Switch launch lineup is gonna be. I have no problem waiting till June though.

Aegus

Gaming companies are so sensitive to stuff being known to the consumer. Compare it to the film industry (and indeed most other entertainment industries) who announce general release windows years in advance, information and casting info is leaked all the time and no one bats a fucking eyelash.

And then you get the fans, who love being marketed to.

El Topo

Edit:
I misread this.

Edit 2:
There are two things detrimental to consumers regarding this action.
The first thing is that strongarming journalists is fundamentally detrimental to consumers. I don't think I need to explain why.
The second thing is that the leaks give consumers information about an upcoming game console, which allows them to plan ahead better.

I hope this is true. It's the ideal way to keep the Switch sales momentum post-launch up until holidays. And even if it misses the launch, there is not that much longer to wait in the end.

Well if Mario is the flagship at launch then I wonder if most won't just wait until June to buy the console.

Plum

It would have been nice to know about the Pokemon Sun/Moon port to Switch before I bought it for my 3DS

It's not a straight port, it's the third version of the generation with new content. By your logic a company is being intentionally deceiving if they announce a GOTY version or Director's Cut of their game after the original one was released.

Hermii

I enjoy her leaks, but journalists don't actually report on any info they get. They don't leak corporate information just for the sake of leaking it if it's not serving a significant public interest. Reducing it like that is drastically downplaying the ethics journalists have to think about every single day.
So it's in the public interest to know botw release date now and not on January 12? I don't follow you logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom