• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 allows DualShock 4 button remapping

You mean I can map right stick for movement?

Don't do this to me bro, I can't if this just lie

Looking at the picture we think so but it's not for sure yet until someone chimes in, I wish someone in Beta would to let us know once and for all. They could just tell us "My friend says..." LOL

Running the risk of off topic, don't we already have a date for Spotify?

All they said on the PSblog is that it'd launch this spring. I can't find any other mention of the date. The only specific date on the blog was for when Music Unlimited would end, which is March 29th.

All they said on the PSblog is that it'd launch this spring. I can't find any other mention of the date. The only specific date on the blog was for when Music Unlimited would end, which is March 29th.

I would imagine that it would be up asap, considering some people paid for Unlimited.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/28/playstation-meet-spotify/

From February 28, 2015, Music Unlimited users with active subscriptions will receive up to 30 days of free access through March 29, 2015.

scitek

VERY cool! This is something that should be at the OS level of every console from here forward IMO. There's no harm in allowing people to play how they like.

Tripolygon

Banned
Origin of PlayStation button for people who don't know.
"Other game companies at the time assigned alphabet letters or colors to the buttons. We wanted something simple to remember, which is why we went with icons or symbols, and I came up with the triangle-circle-X-square combination immediately afterward. I gave each symbol a meaning and a color. The triangle refers to viewpoint; I had it represent one's head or direction and made it green. Square refers to a piece of paper; I had it represent menus or documents and made it pink. The circle and X represent 'yes' or 'no' decision-making and I made them red and blue respectively. People thought those colors were mixed up, and I had to reinforce to management that that's what I wanted." Teiyu Goto, Sony

So.... how long did this closed beta last before someone spilled all the beans?

Did it only go out today?

I hope Sony doesn't stop doing it because its totally OK if people know what features are coming in the near future.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
ps4 is the best console ever. once it gets games it will be unstoppable.

yE9qA7.gif

Kei-

Really neat feature if it is as it seems. Hopefully we hear more about shareplay updates, namely 4 player shareplay.

Replicant

You guys saying "I'll swap X and O so I can have Japanese style confirm/cancel" do realize that it will swap all behavior of these buttons, not just which one is confirm and which one is cancel, right? That's probably not something you'll want in most games.

There should be an option within each game if you want to use the game or the OS control.

I hope Sony has it to where it is easy for devs to reflect the changes in game. It'd suck if you failed a QTE because it says triangle which you remapped to square or something.

th4tguy

A lot of people in beta are mvp's and they had to give up their social Ids, including places like gaf. I sought someone outside of a pm would post about it.

Some Nobody

ps4 is the best console ever. once it gets games it will be unstoppable.

This is a joke, but man...I think after my impending Spring Break it'll be true for a couple months. I've run through all the 2014 games and The Order was not the adventure I expected. The Witcher 3 is so far away....

Rembrandt

Banned
Nice. People have been asking for this for a while. Can't wait to see where these consoles are at by the end of the gen. These updates have been pretty stellar.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Curious to see how this works out.

Are mappings system wide or per application?
Is there a way for developers to detect these mapping changes and change prompts accordingly?

All you people that can't wait for inverted are going to have fun when navigating menus is all messed up. Something like the order would be a nightmare with os level controller remapping.

If they will let me remap multiple buttons (ie make R2 be the X button while keeping the X button in the same position.....) OMFG!!!!

dmr87

This is a joke, but man...I think after my impending Spring Break it'll be true for a couple months. I've run through all the 2014 games and The Order was not the adventure I expected. The Witcher 3 is so far away....

That's why we have Bloodborne in March, hnnnnngh.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I am so swapping O and X back to their original maru and batsu meanings.

Sanctuary

This is pretty neat news if it turns out to be true. I bought a PS4 months ago in preparation for Bloodborne, so it's pretty much just been sitting. But I have been using the DS4 with PC games, and it's easily already my favorite controller (aside from the Saturn pad for fighting games) of all time.

how about "shut off battery hogging useless lightbar shit"? is that in the beta?

Going to sorely miss that feature if it's not implemented. With DS4Windows you can completely shut it off.

Xilium

I've always said this should be a system level feature. I imagine this will also make developers happy as it gets people off their back for not providing these options in-game (I imagine it's harder than just copy-pasting a code from game to game since it hasn't become a standard feature yet).

mike4001_

I hope Sony has it to where it is easy for devs to reflect the changes in game. It'd suck if you failed a QTE because it says triangle which you remapped to square or something.

I really don´t think this will be the case.

You will change the buttons on a system-level, each application will just see an X button when you press an O and so on.

omonimo

Banned
Wow. I hope they will put the touchpad too on it. Just imagine to use it over the stick control to take a shot. I want it absolutely, now.

If this is real it would make every single new game play the same, and I am absolutely down with that. Some games have such shitty button mapping that it takes hours to adjust.

Hmmm, I don't think I'll ever use this mapping future, but holy hell, everyone is just glossing over the real megaton, "The system can now enter rest mode without closing any applications"!

Lionheart

I would assume that when any button icon is displayed in a game, that it is using an api call and the actual icon that is displayed is chosen by the OS. If that was not in place from the start, it must be possible by now at least.

BTW, I really dont expect this feature to be selectable on a game by game basis, it'll be system wide I would think.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Great, great feature for those who needs it. It should've been there since last gen.

.. And then watch devs block it because "That's not the way you should play our game".

Guymelef

It's a wonderful feature in addition to the option of adjust screen size from a system level.
Two simple options that should have been here years ago.

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is for gamers with disabilities first and foremost, not really intended for average joe gamer who wants custom button-mapping.

So while non-disabled gamers can use this and enjoy a custom layout, it really isn't intended for switching game-specific profiles and weird layouts that can be edited on the fly for specific gaming purposes. Because most of the time, that simply isn't how the developer intended their games to be played, bad mapping can lead to a terrible user experience and devs would love to avoid all that. Let's all realize this before we go all 'Hurr durr Y dun Sony not add a profile/preset system here?'.

Joqu

I've always found the whole O = yes X = no thing to be way more logical, even as a kid. I guess it's because you circle stuff that's right and cross out stuff that's wrong.

I don't think I'm gonna mess with it too much but that's definitely something I've always wanted to switch

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is for gamers with disabilities first and foremost, not really intended for average joe gamer who wants custom button-mapping.

So while non-disabled gamers can use this and enjoy a custom layout, it really isn't intended for switching game-specific profiles and weird layouts that can be edited on the fly for specific gaming purposes. Because most of the time, that simply isn't how the developer intended their games to be played, bad mapping can lead to a terrible user experience and devs would love to avoid all that. Let's all realize this before we go all 'Hurr durr Y dun Sony not add a profile/preset system here?'.

Whilst I think this is great for disabled gamers, I really don't think there are enough disabled gamers to come to the conclusion this is designed specifically for their needs. Lot's of people, including me, hate some of the button layouts in games. This is for those people who have been complaining about silly layouts for years. I hate using L2 or R2 for triggers for instance and (as others have mentioned) L3 for running. No doubt Sony would be happy to run with the disability angle though. It's good for business.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Whilst I think this is great for disabled gamers, I really don't think there are enough disabled gamers to come to the conclusion this is designed specifically for their needs. Lot's of people, including me, hate some of the button layouts in games. This is for those people who have been complaining about silly layouts for years. I hate using L2 or R2 for triggers for instance and (as others have mentioned) L3 for running.

This is absolutely for the disabled gamer.
Every single piece of tech that runs an OS these days has always had extensive diability options, Android, iOS, Windows, OSX, Windows phone,

So while non-disabled gamers can reap the benefits in some ways and perhaps Sony thought they could hit two birds with one stone here, it was always intended for people with functional disabilities. I'd even posit that there's a way bigger need for these features coming from the disabled gamers than the occassional weirdo who wants to swap X and O just because it's like that in his japanese animes. ;)
This is about Sony being inclusive to everyone, disabilities or not.

Edit: Oh, you now actually believe they aim this at the disabled merely for sly PR business reasons? Come the fuck on.

DieH@rd

Banned
Shareplay at 60fps?

That is the real megaton here folks because if it is real that surely implies remote play could be 60 right? Though maybe the Vita's wifi isn't fast enough, hmm.

Vita/VitaTV/Android can handle it. More likely update for new Remote Play app is needed.

Top Bottom