• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] PS4 beta firmware 2.50 allows DualShock 4 button remapping

bombshell

Whilst I think this is great for disabled gamers, I really don't think there are enough disabled gamers to come to the conclusion this is designed specifically for their needs. Lot's of people, including me, hate some of the button layouts in games. This is for those people who have been complaining about silly layouts for years. I hate using L2 or R2 for triggers for instance and (as others have mentioned) L3 for running. No doubt Sony would be happy to run with the disability angle though. It's good for business.

It's categorized under Accessibility in the settings menu, so it is indeed primarily intended for disabled gamers.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is absolutely for the disabled gamer.
Every single piece of tech that runs an OS these days has always had extensive diability options, Android, iOS, Windows, OSX, Windows phone,

So while non-disabled gamers can reap the benefits in some ways and perhaps Sony thought they could hit two birds with one stone here, it was always intended for people with functional disabilities. I'd even posit that there's a way bigger need for these features coming from the disabled gamers than the occassional weirdo who wants to swap X and O just because it's like that in his japanese animes. ;)
This is about Sony being inclusive to everyone, disabilities or not.

I appreciate your view on this and I wouldn't want to disagree 100% but I really think you're just a tad too sure of this. I have seen thousand upon thousands of posts from people complaining about problematic button configurations but only ever seen ONE person complain from a disability perspective (a friend of mine).

It's categorized under Accessibility in the settings menu, so it is indeed primarily intended for disabled gamers.

It just makes sense for it to be there. We'll probably never know for certain though because, like I said, Sony will happily run with that perception because it's good for business. Either way, whoever is right, it's a great feature. To summarise: You're certain and I'm not certain.

By the way, why is it still a rumour when we've seen screenshots?

fixuis

Wow suspend resume finally, great update! Read that share play will be 60fps? Does this mean that remote play will be 60 fps as well? That would be a real megaton for me personally if true!

Sayad

Shareplay at 60fps?

That is the real megaton here folks because if it is real that surely implies remote play could be 60 right? Though maybe the Vita's wifi isn't fast enough, hmm.
This would make actually use Vita share play. :eek:

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow suspend resume finally, great update! Read that share play will be 60fps? Does this mean that remote play will be 60 fps as well? That would be a real megaton for me personally if true!

If the video processing section of the PS4 can manage 60fps livestream for share play [and PC desktop chips of 78xx GPU series can], we can certainly expect that the same will happen for background DVR recordings, Twitch streaming and Remote Play to Vita/VitaTV/Android.

Eusis

This may be true, but after years after X being confirm anything else feels alien. It's burned into muscle memory.
It's still true that they're not the ones being backwards though. To add on to that, they were following what many SFC/SNES games had done (A to accept, B to cancel, ergo O to accept, X to cancel.) Early SCE developers, some western developers in general, and perhaps SCE execs disagreed for whatever reason, and so we had this sort of disconnect where they finally settled on X/O being accept/cancel in NA/EU but cancel/accept in Japan. Of which Nintendo ignored. So, they're doing what's logical from the SFC and early Japan PS1 onwards, while we're doing what's logical from what happened in that period but with western development.

I'd give it to Japan ultimately purely because of how some people here made Select pause and Start something else (sometimes nothing!) What the fuck, are you just obstinate fucks IGNORING games like SMB?

Nizz

This feature will be a godsend for some games I play like Far Cry 4 and Wolfenstein: TNO where they insist on using the circle button to crouch and no option for a "tactical" style layout where crouch is on the right stick instead. Most every other FPS game I play on PS4 has crouch on the right stick and it always screws me up when I play these two particular titles.

This'll also let me map aim/shoot on L2/R2 in Resident Evil remaster instead of the weird L2 to take aim and square to fire. It's just my damned muscle memory where I can't come to grips using RE's setup.

also

Banned
Amazing news. Hopefully PS5 has this from the start and remapping the buttons also changes the in-game and OS prompts.

jts

...hate me...
Great, great feature for those who needs it. It should've been there since last gen.

.. And then watch devs block it because "That's not the way you should play our game".

I think the whole point is to get it out of devs hands. If it's a blockable feature, Sony dropped the ball.

nel e nel

No. It had game defaults (like having your first person shooters always inverted or non-inverted) but it never let you completely customize controls at a system level.

This is a minor gripe I have as a 360 player coming to PS4. I have to manually change my Y axis on every game now instead of having a global setting from the main system settings.

BibiMaghoo

This would only be useful on a game per game basis

Taking 10 seconds to alter the mapping you need for another game, is vastly more useful than not being able to do it at all, for any game from the OS.

It would just be even better if there was a custom slot for each game.

Xater

Taking 10 seconds to alter the mapping you need for another game, is vastly more useful than not being able to do it at all, for any game from the OS.

It would just be even better if there was a custom slot for each game.

A profile manager would solve the problem.

BibiMaghoo

A profile manager would solve the problem.

Sure, and that would make it even better, but this is something people have wanted on consoles forever, so I can only really laugh at someone suggesting it's useless because you need to change it per game. It's not.

It just makes sense for it to be there. We'll probably never know for certain though because, like I said, Sony will happily run with that perception because it's good for business. Either way, whoever is right, it's a great feature. To summarise: You're certain and I'm not certain.

It doesn't actually make sense for it to be there; it could be under multiple other options, like in the same spot where you can dim the light bar, or Device Options. It is seemingly under Accessibility, where you can invert colors, put high contrast on, zoom the screen, make text larger/bolder, etc.

The primary use is for disabled gamers; people changing it to their preference is just a very nice side effect. The other poster is certain for a reason.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Sure, and that would make it even better, but this is something people have wanted on consoles forever, so I can only really laugh at someone suggesting it's useless because you need to change it per game. It's not.

I should've added 'for me' to my post. I can definitely see how people'd like to switch triggers or some face buttons, but there are only a handful of games where I felt the need to do so.

hesido

Games post 2.50 can talk to the OS about button mappings and even show you the correct button prompts in tutorials and
qtes
, this if Sony doesn't already require the game to talk to the OS anyway for those prompts as a quality assurance from the beginning. Then we wouldn't even need patches to the already released games.

Oxn

They should do this for the PS3 as well. I have a Japanese PS3 that uses "O" as the confirm button.

Would love to have the layout like the American version.

Servbot24

Banned
I always want to shoot with R1 and I always want to accelerate with R2. Other than that I won't use it too much, but it's still an excellent feature.

antibolo

Banned
I look forward to playing more games with my arcade stick now that I'll be able to remap controls in any game to make them more suited for arcade stick usage.

What makes this feature "huge"?

Lots of things, but mostly because it finally allows disabled gamers (some of who have posted in this thread) who have difficulty playing games because of default button layouts to finally be able to set their buttons in a way that allows them to enjoy and excel at games they couldn't play (without great difficulty or at all) before.

Kampfheld

Banned
I'm amazed and sad at the same time by this feature. It's amazing because something like this is exactly what consoles should do in future. There shouldn't be any barriers. The system should adopt to the gamer - and not the other way around. This is a standard in PC gaming for over 10 years. It's a relatively easy-to-implement feature that will help a lot of people. The reactions in this thread prove just that. At the same time I'm kinda sad because it's exactly the thing I suggested to Microsoft a few months ago without any concrete results so far. Wii U, Playstation or Xbox ... Every system should have basic features like that. That said, a big "thank you" to the Sony platform engineering team for making the first step here. I know this is huge for some gamers!

The more i about it, the more brilliant it becomes and is a huge financial advantage for Sony.

-ps4 becomes defacto console for disabled gamers, more ps4 sales

-devs can concentrate on one control scheme, thus its cheaper to develop ps4 games

-gamers want choice. If you own both consoles, but wish you could swap buttons, you can only do it on ps4

Of course the little brother Xbox will copy this feature guaranteed. But for the moment, it's huge for ps4

Duxxy3

Megaton news for me. I loathe the triggers on the dualshock 4, at least for shooters. My accuracy was garbage in second son, and I passed on the PS4 version of Wolfenstein because there was no option to change the controls. Now I can go back and play Second Son and Wolfenstein (and the DLC for those games!!) the way that I wanted to the first time around.

Also makes the multiplayer in advanced warfare a lot more attractive. Simply move x to one of the shoulder buttons and I'm in business. No scuf needed.

PaRappa

As awesome as this is, i really do wish (in vain) Sony released an asymmetric analogue controller. Ive been playing Xbox for far too long

JJD

Anyone knows if I can remap just the click function from the analogue sticks, and not the sticks?

I'm so tired of clicking the right analog stick and doing the knife motion in the middle of a fire fight on BF4...

If I'm not mistaken on BF3 the right analog stick click was crouch so while I did that all the time it didn't stop me from shooting enemies.

If I can remap just the click function I'll be happy.

bombshell

Anyone knows if I can remap just the click function from the analogue sticks, and not the sticks?

I'm so tired of clicking the right analog stick and doing the knife motion in the middle of a fire fight on BF4...

If I'm not mistaken on BF3 the right analog stick click was crouch so while I did that all the time it didn't stop me from shooting enemies.

Yes, the click of the sticks are called L3 and R3 and they are both in the picture.

reKon

Banned
so there's a very good chance that this rumor is true?

if so along with the other rumored features, I wonder the reasoning for not including DLNA still

The more i about it, the more brilliant it becomes and is a huge financial advantage for Sony.

-devs can concentrate on one control scheme, thus its cheaper to develop ps4 games

-gamers want choice. If you own both consoles, but wish you could swap buttons, you can only do it on ps4

Of course the little brother Xbox will copy this feature guaranteed. But for the moment, it's huge for ps4

You may be taking this a little too far. Yes its a nice thing that they are doing but you are jumping wayyyyyyyyyyyy to far with these assumptions. I don't think button remapping will dramatically alter dev time.

jump-to-conclusions.jpg

You can click the right stick and crouch too, you know..... just set that up in options.

mf.luder

This is awesome!

Now I just hope Sony lets me select "Inverted" at the system level and every games takes notice of it and automatically adjusts.

Pillville

?

- This is certainly good news for disabled gamers, but really, are there really enough disabled gamers for this to make a financial impact.

- The dev cost for the "what button did they press" is almost literally $0. It's most likely built into the game engine, and even if it's not, it's a couple hours of coding. So, multiple schemes really cost next to nothing, AND most devs don't bother with it now anyway. Do you really think that OS button mapping will reduce the devs costs? you can't be serious.

Top Bottom