• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Xbox being bought by Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

I know! That's what im trying to convey.

And for the record, the tweet got about 7 responses. The thread here, which shouldn't exist, is at like 7000.

Im totally in agreement with the dude who said if a gaffer makes a comment on social media either he/she should make the thread here or there shouldn't be one. And in this case I believe there shouldn't be one. It's a rumor. Rumor. Not factual. Rumorrrrrrr.

Don't worry about it, it's been a fairly civil debate about the pros and cons. You're clear about your level of insider knowledge so people need to use their own filter and not take everything so seriously.

I'd expect more rumblings in the media if serious discussion was happening.

I don't think you should even care that your stuff gets picked up, Mort.

Honestly, if some gaming e-rag is just going to post articles of "news" based on twitter posts, then that is their folly. Same with GAF members making threads about it.

I think if a GAF member is going to make a thread about this kind of news, they should be under the same scrutiny as actual insiders are.

If someone is going to make a thread like this, they best check their fucking sources and their source's sources. That would prevent these circuses in the future.

Just keep doing what you are doing.

Sounds like some fanboy fantasy. Though there has been a lot of pressure on MS to drop Xbox.

EDIT: Even Mort says this thread is crazy.

Shut it down!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
9CsqXtb.jpg

Edit: WAIT, IS THIS FOR REAL?!

This post is funny for all the wrong reasons.

Amir0x

Banned
Clearly I am a dummy because I thought the tone was such that it wouldn't be taken seriously. Nor did I make a thread about it here. Or make some sort of click-bait article for my blog.

If I have major news to share I'll do it here or on my blog (or both) . Maybe it's time to just make my twitter private.

Don't take these criticisms seriously. You post something on twitter you have no responsibility for people taking it and running with it on NeoGAF. You usually take the action of posting news on neoGAF if you feel there are enough viable sources to prove it.

Our leakers are valued here because they provide a service to the community we don't get elsewhere. And unless you start just linking to your twitter account when you leak something, there's no reason you have to take responsibility for people foolishly believing twitter is an extension of your NeoGAF account.

Edit: And as an aside, i know I've said this to you before, but you should just go about being a good poster, don't link your value so directly with just your leaks. It's a service NeoGAF values, but it's not what makes you valuable as an individual. If that's not too cheesy...

Vlade

I see no reason to believe the rumor, but to entertain it:

It explains why Amazon inexplicably stopped giving Nintendo visibility on the site or keeping their items in stock.

Amazon would probably love to have a set top box, controlling hardware and content and all that; and loveable old Amazon has the reputation to pull it off.

It explains why ms more faithfully pursued entertainment image than gaming especially after launch.

It would explain why old news of spinning off xbox resurfaced.

It would explain why "sub $300" was exciting.

It does fit nicely with the the tone of the companies. I'm still not at a point where I believe it.

Any industry savvy folks know if Jeff Bezos made any bombastic yet vague comments that are consistent with acquiring a set top box business?

Guevara

Doesn't make sense. Amazon is already far along with their own thing, which is cheaper and less powerful by design (according to some pretty reliable rumors).

theytookourjobz

It explains why Amazon inexplicably stopped giving Nintendo visibility on the site or keeping their items in stock.

Amazon would probably love to have a set top box, controlling hardware and content and all that; and loveable old Amazon has the reputation to pull it off.

It explains why ms more faithfully pursued entertainment image than gaming especially after launch.

It does fit nicely with the the tone of the companies. I'm still not at a point where I believe it.

Any industry savvy folks know if Jeff Bezos made any bombastic yet vague comments that are consistent with acquiring a set top box business?

Pretty sure the reason Amazon doesn't (or didnt) stock Nintendo stuff was a quality issue with DSs that Nintendo refused to rectify so Amazon was stuck with a huge amount of returns.

Nibiru

Banned
They aren't selling at this point, at least no more than Sony is likely to sell their gaming division.

Sony is already making cuts and the gaming division will not be touched at least not for a good while. They just announced that they are shutting down the pc business and laying off 5k employees.

Mondy

Banned

No but they have been purchasing their own game studios. That's probably the biggest sign of all.

I'd be fine if they bought the brand and continued making games for it(like cd-i 3do) I think Ms has a bad rep and amazon could potentially make the console a lot cheaper. Idk what would happen to the games though. If there's no halo 5 then I wasted $500.

Alebrije

Mods have no closed this thread becuase is more about the benefits / cons if a company like Amazon gets Xbox from MS. Its a Rumor that led us to see how Amazon could handle a console division and what can we get as a final users / costumers from it.

Domdev

Banned
Clearly I am a dummy because I thought the tone was such that it wouldn't be taken seriously. Nor did I make a thread about it here. Or make some sort of click-bait article for my blog.

I honestly don't think of myself as a public figure.

I'm credible when there are things I know. Like that Microsoft's internals showed a huge drop off in the first two weeks in January so I posted as much and said to watch the npds. I was right. Hooray! Like 3 people mentioned that I had said that. I don't feel like I'm any sort of big player. I don't have a giant ego. In fact I'm rather shy and don't like the attention. I totally feel for the Flappy Bird guy and think he lasted longer than I would.

I've also asked for this thread to be closed like 3 times. Not that I expect the mods to care what I want. If I could go back in time and not make those tweets I would. This entire thing is silly.

I also said that Denver was going to destroy Seattle because Peyton Manning is just too smart and would find a way to pick apart their defense. Sometimes I tweet that I pooped. Most of the time it's glimpses into how shitty my luck is.

If I have major news to share I'll do it here or on my blog (or both) . Maybe it's time to just make my twitter private.

Haven't you been in this exact same position before? I find it hard to believe that you don't at a basic level understand your tweets, blog posts, and gaf are all interlinked. When go on popular podcasts and are known to be somewhat of an "insider" you really don't think your tweets are going to be discussed? Sorry, but I don't buy the whole " poor me" schtick anymore.

Regarding the rumor, I find it ridiculous. Today, the overall business strategy is services and ecosystem. Xbox live, music, videos, bing integration and stuff like amazon prime, their on demand and streaming movies ect. ect. The xbox was built from the ground up to get consumers integrated into the Microsoft ecosystem. The OS at a foundational level would completely have to be scrapped and rebuilt if amazon bought xbox. That alone is reason enough for it not to happen.

Don't take these criticisms seriously. You post something on twitter you have no responsibility for people taking it and running with it on NeoGAF. You usually take the action of posting news on neoGAF if you feel there are enough viable sources to prove it.

Our leakers are valued here because they provide a service to the community we don't get elsewhere. And unless you start just linking to your twitter account when you leak something, there's no reason you have to take responsibility for people foolishly believing twitter is an extension of your NeoGAF account.

Edit: And as an aside, i know I've said this to you before, but you should just go about being a good poster, don't link your value so directly with just your leaks. It's a service NeoGAF values, but it's not what makes you valuable as an individual. If that's not too cheesy...

Fair enough.

It's just that I'm contemplating doing something a bit more serious so I'm finding it unsettling having this floating around with my name on it. But like others have said, I should have known better.

Carry on. Discuss the merits. Personally I would prefer the division stay with ms. With them, atleast, I know what I'm getting. With Amazon I don't really understand what their motivation is.

New002

Wow, you know me better than I know me. That's quite a feat.

I do like attention. Positive attention. I don't really enjoy the negative attention. I also find it impossible to ignore.

And like I said before, my twitter followers all seemed to get it. No one cared. But somehow this is a giant thread now. But I guess I knew this was going to happen even though I honestly had no goddamn idea this was going to happen. But you know me better than I know myself so I bow to your knowledge.

If the reality of the situation is that you were truly blindsided by this, and this truly bothers you, then I hope you've now come to the realization that what you post, whether it's in jest or not, is going to spawn threads like this. When you speak about game related things people listen, for better or worse. It comes with the territory now. You have to take the good with the bad. You can either try and be more careful about what you say so that it doesn't end up on here if it's not solid info, or you can just ignore these threads :)

Forkball

I think people are doing backflips to Conclusions Island. Yeah, we've all heard the rumors about Microsoft maybe possibly could be might maybe getting rid of the Xbox division, but I certainly don't think they would sell it off so quickly and at this stage of a new console cycle. People are so quick to jump on the doom train after three months of NPDs.

Mondy

Banned
Fair enough.

It's just that I'm contemplating doing something a bit more serious so I'm finding it unsettling having this floating around with my name on it. But like others have said, I should have known better.

Carry on. Discuss the merits. Personally I would prefer the division stay with ms. With them, atleast, I know what I'm getting. With Amazon I don't really understand what their motivation is.

Their motivation isn't any different from anyone else. Centralized profit through digital distribution ala Apple and iTunes. The question though is have they been paying attention to the response to DRM.

Elios83

Bullshit in my opinion, first of all Microsoft is not even considering to sell Xbox at this stage, but also buying Xbox as a whole is not an appealing option. You're spending an astronomical amount of money (probably a few billions dollars) to get what? A brand, the rights to make Halo games and an online service which needs to be specifically adpated to a product. After all the money given to Microsoft they would need to continue to make huge investements to create their own Xbox branded product. I don't think that's a good deal.

Haven't you been in this exact same position before? I find it hard to believe that you don't at a basic level understand your tweets, blog posts, and gaf are all interlinked. When go on popular podcasts and are known to be somewhat of an "insider" you really don't think your tweets are going to be discussed? Sorry, but I don't buy the whole " poor me" schtick anymore.

Regarding the rumor, I find it ridiculous. Today, the overall business strategy is services and ecosystem. Xbox live, music, videos, bing integration and stuff like amazon prime, their on demand and streaming movies ect. ect. The xbox was built from the ground up to get consumers integrated into the Microsoft ecosystem. The OS at a foundational level would completely have to be scrapped and rebuilt if amazon bought xbox. That alone is reason enough for it not to happen.

I've been on popular podcasts?

And I'm really not going for a "poor me" thing here. More of a "Im a fucking idiot" thing.

And this is a rumor, not started by me, that is floating around the industry. For the record, I don't believe it. If I did I would pay it more mind than including it in a tweet with info about a titanfall launch tv show.

Both are absurd. Though one is true.

If its just a rumor and mort is passing it along, I don't see any harm in sharing it with us. Kudos to the guy for having the balls to share it. We're all grown ups and know that not all rumors turn out to be true or that all buyout discussions end up in an actual buyout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom