• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Xbox being bought by Amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8bit

Knows the Score
At least mention what he said, rather than an interpretation.

Two things. Titanfall launch show with @geoffkeighley. Have you announced that yet? Also, xbox bought by Amazon? Bookmark this.

The latter isn't even close to done. If it gets finished at all. But, that's the scuttlebutt. Do with it what you may.

https://twitter.com/atPeteDodd

Anyway, stranger things have happened and the new MS CEO might not want the same things that Ballmer did.

Eusis

You know, if Prime and Live are bundled this would be genuinely really damn appealing. And would at least justify locking Prime streaming behind the wall as they're now literally one and the same. Though a $80 price tag would be shit for anyone who didn't also shop at Amazon a lot.

But I think I'll wait and see, it does seem like a much smarter idea than releasing an Android console though after seeing how the Ouya did and how cold Sony's been on Vita TV outside of Japan (and tanking there entirely.)

Hasney

I could see it happening, but not for quite a few years and assuming that XBox One doesn't pick up some momentum in that time. There's no way it's happening anytime soon.

Lionheart

Xbox One seems to me like it would be too expensive for an Amazon device. They'd go with something cheaper and lower end, I think. I'd say the rumor is very unlikely what with Xbox One having just launched and the big investment this would mean to Amazon.

The game development side would be interesting to them though, plus the XBox Live multiplayer services, but the Xbox One just doesn't seem like a good fit for Amazon.

Edit: well maybe XBox One could be interesting to them without Kinect and without hdmi in (and without disc drive?) at around $ 299. Might be possible by the time this is a done deal.

Valnen

With Bill Gates having a more active role at MS lately, would he really allow this? I don't think he would.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
cdddMLU.png

Don't know what to think of that.
Wait, so it was a reality that MS was anticipating a sale of a massive entertainment division that is integral to their unified Windows/Surface/Mobile strategy before they even announced it?

Yeah I don't think so. X1 was their slam dunk in the grand plan for Xbox. I don't see it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Thought they were making an Android console. Would they really just throw away all that money and buy xbox?

They could pursue two options at the same time, specially since one is not a done deal.

While I do trust famousmortimer/Pete, making threads out of his tweets (and also not posting said tweets) seems like a bad idea.

The idea of the thread is more to discuss what, if any, implications this could have rather than take his tweets as fact. Personally, I could see it happening but it would be a minefield in terms of branding and retaining customer loyalty.

Zeppeli

Banned
Holy shit. Now it makes sense why they'd buy Double Helix... So they can continue to make first party Killer Instinct titles.

K.Sabot

I can honestly see this happening.

MS wants to dump Xbox to make back some rnd

amazon wants a console and would prefer not to spend on rnd for it.

seems like a win/win.

pswii60

Xbox is more than just the Xbox One to Microsoft, it's now the umbrella for all their entertainment services. Microsoft isn't selling.

Caayn

MS investors want to get rid of Xbox(its margins are nothing compared to their cloud services) and Amazon has shown interest in getting into the console/home media center business.

I mean they already bought double helix.
Buying a single studio for a millions of dollar is something completely different than buying Xbox.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It rings true based on the rumors floating around recently... but that means it could be a fake based on the rumors floating around recently.... :p

"I hear Amazon bought Double Helix so they could make the next Killer Instinct after they acquire the Xbox division of Microsoft, which Satya Nadella wants to sell off due to shareholder urging, and the game will star Ellen Page who just came out as gay through the new gender options on Facebook! (Download De La Soul's free albums plz)."

Wasn't there just a rumor that Microsoft were creating an Xbox branded book app? Seems they're continuing the expand the scale of the Xbox brand so it seems a bit silly to do away with it.

Zeppeli

Banned
What if the "Android console" is just the Xbox One running a version of their Kindle-skinned Android in addition to the stock interface?

Chili

I don't think Amazon have that much cash and I don't see how buying the entirety of the Xbox division fits with their plans for gaming. If anything, they may want to buy some of the MS studios to produce games for them.

meppi

Stranger things have happened in this industry, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Might actually be a good thing for us if this comes to fruition.
I know the company has soured me on the brand so having a totally different company behind it might make me look at the system again.

I really don't think we should be using GAF members Twitter accounts for threads. If they feel confident in something they would make a thread.

jelly

Xbox is everything Microsoft.

Doesn't make sense for Amazon to use Microsoft stuff by buying it outright or licensing it.

Xbox will die by Microsoft's sword and the assets will be sold off but not Xbox Live etc. as they are entrenched in Microsoft software.

It rings true based on the rumors floating around recently... but that means it could be a fake based on the rumors floating around recently.... :p

"I hear Amazon bought Double Helix so they could make the next Killer Instinct after they acquire the Xbox division of Microsoft, which Satya Nadella wants to sell off due to shareholder urging, and the game will star Ellen Page who just came out as gay through the new gender options on Facebook! (Download De La Soul's free albums plz)."

You just know this is going to happen (Not Page, but someone)

Yaoibot

What the shit? I wasn't expecting news this salacious on a Saturday. I suppose its not outside the realm of possibility. Would also give Amazon's new console instant brand recognition in the US.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Thing number one guys. There's always talks about everything. Everything is always on every table. It's just a matter of how serious the talks are and how much money is behind them. Hell, I could say that someone at EA jokes with someone at Ubisoft about merging and those could also be classified as talks. Maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't.

I'd be down for this though. It would be a very nice transition for a new competitor. A new competitor that is already well versed in the selling of digital and physical media.

sueil

Doesn't really surprise me. Xbox has been a money pit since day 1 and Microsoft needs to refocus on it's core business.

Xun

After the whole Amazon game console rumours, I've been thinking about this.

Amazon were most likely going to do a similar thing to Microsoft, so why not just buy the division instead?

Rourkey

Xbox is more than just the Xbox One to Microsoft, it's now the umbrella for all their entertainment services. Microsoft isn't selling.

I agree Xbox is the only thing that gives them credibility in the consumer device world, hence xbox music, xbox video etc plus it now links in nicely with windows 8, I really struggle to believe this, unless the deal is that amazon pay MS to continue to develop the OS side of things

Picobrain

Banned
I don't know what to think. Amazon is offering playstation titles on their web store and now they want to buy Xbox? It's weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom