• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound Gameplay Demo [extended IGN First demo in OP]

What game does Scalebound most remind you of?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bloodrage

Banned
Looks kind of boring and the main character's design still looks really bad. Even has a devil trigger and white hair, lol. Nice originality, Kamiya.

Porcile

I believe in Kamiya, as I loved The Wonderful 101, but that was very underwhelming. The fuck is going on with that framerate?

Pennywise

Looks damn good. Kind of saddened that some here expect every Kamiya game to be straight-up action. Nice to see him branch out.

It's just a first impression, felt a bit underwhelmed as well.
The basic combat really looked a bit dull, but as I said it's just the first impression.
Kamiya still got more than enough time to win me over :p

Amir0x

Banned
I think maybe it's something I'd have to play to get a feel if it's for me. My problems are mechanical... the actual combat didn't seem particularly varied (at least what Kamiya was doing), it was slow and not very methodical. When he assigned commands to the Dragon, at least the way Kamiya was doing it, it just seemed like the "team assignment" command mechanic that was done in a zillion games, but with a Dragon.

"Dragon, destroy that building."
"Dragon, attack that enemy."

They didn't seem to actually work together in a way that was particularly compelling to me, which is one of the key things I wanted to see work well when the game was announced as having a Dragon buddy. But it's a demo, so hopefully it gets significantly more complex and flexible in future demos.

I was also hoping for a little more strategic Monster Hunter+Kamiya speed, but it seemed like a typical hacky-and-slashy action RPG with a simple transforming mechanic and simplistic team commands. But first impressions can be deceptive, so onward we go toward the next reveal.

Dark_castle

Something about it looks rough, like the running animation. Melee attacks seem a bit slow as well. Otherwise, this looks very promising.

Zedox

Excited! All those negatives (besides character design, which comes down to taste) are all gonna be worked (that's why it's not coming until Holiday 2016. Can't wait!

specdot

If it fixes the frame rate then I'm down.
Yeah that framerate was suspect, but I feel MS needed to show this game off. I'm just hoping because I don't want to buy an XBone just for one game. I did it last gen for Mass Effect and that game ended up on every platform.

Slow combat reminded me of freedom wars, looked really good outside of the walking/running animations
Infact the dragon arm is very soul sacrifice

I guess platinum have been playing vita? :p

Carn82

not really feeling the design and gameplay footage didnt really sell the concept. But I'm sure Platinum knows what they are doing.

Neff

Not far off what I was expecting, although Kamiya's signature is toned down in the combat, and it's obvious PG has taken MS' advice regarding appealing to mass-market sensibilities to heart. I think I preferred the old design of the protagonist, too.

Also it reminded me that I really need to get round to buying that fucking Prodigy album.

Ushiwaka

So many mixed feelings towards this :(

I loved the world design and the big Dragon fight, but the combat, frame-rate, animations, the main character... :(

Goddamnit the all-green world reminded me of Okami. Why can't I have a Kamiya-directed Okami sequel? :(

I wait for more footage. Let's hope they fix the frame-rate and the technical stuff.

raven777

BlushingLiveFrillneckedlizard.gif

Sevyne

Been really hyped for this game for a while (even though we've had no footage of the game until now), but this first impression has not been good for me at all. Combat is looking really slow and boring. The animations look really stiff, and god that MC sounds grating. The integration with the dragon seemed about as basic as basic can be. Shit seemed like it was just on auto-pilot with zero interaction.

Will wait for more details and such before any other judgement, but so far I'm not feeling it, and I don't think I've ever said that about a Platinum game.

I am excited for it. Something tells me that with upgrading your character as well as possibly dragon could make for some crazy shit. Now add 4 player co-op to the mess and who knows what's going to happen. It also looked like the spiritual successor to Dragon's Dogma. The only bad thing about it to me is the obvious framerate.

Neiteio

Doesn't look like a Kamiya game. Generic character design and slow gameplay, in a world that resembles the first Xenoblade but with slower foot travel. :-\

I also can't remember what the protag looks like. Just that he sounds like Nathan Drake and listens to dubstep.

But this is just a small slice of the game, so who knows.

Jobbs

Banned
Graphics and framerate are kind of bad.. Especially after having just watched the Horizon demo again recently.

Main character is also annoying to such astronomical levels almost to be a deal breaker by himself.

Cool idea though, I sorta like the cheesy transformations and monster battles. Just wish he wasn't so obnoxious.

Shauni

I knew the criticism for this would primarily consist of the combat not being as fast paced as other games, even despite the fact that Kayima specifically said it would not be of a genre he's done before (which means it was never going to be like DMC even though that seemed to be the expectation people had).

The visuals are top-notch and I have to admit that for some reason, the OST hit me in the right way.

The main character's design is just terrible though. Holy crap. I'm not too down on the combat like others though. I'll have to wait and see. It's not quite the system seller I thought it'd be (yet), but I'm still hopeful.

Fezan

Combat felt way slow. I was expecting a dmc game with different character.

Anyhow still hyped may be I will get my dd fix

When the dragon did the fire blast move on the monster I swear that's the heat action sound from the Yakuza games in the feel the heat ! parts

I'll wait for the game to get closer to release before making too many judgements because that was just an easy gameplay demo of a game that is like a year away.

I do think the main character's writing is horrible and I hope they change the character. Though I don't know why I thought it would be a good character, he has headphones.

thefro

Definitely has a lot of potential. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like closer to release as Kamiya likes to change things until the very last minute.

Top Bottom