• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound Gameplay Demo [extended IGN First demo in OP]

What game does Scalebound most remind you of?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Wait, does this mean you will be able to fly your dragon around to those floating islands?

You think this open world action RPG for Xbone is aiming for 60 fps LMAO

You'll get a targeted 30 at 900p, less than that when 4 player co-op gets hectic in every battle.

This is a Kamiya game designed for people who don't think twice about picking up Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta.

This will have 4 player co-op? I need to go read the IGN thread I guess. Kinda changes how you view the combat.

I knew the criticism for this would primarily consist of the combat not being as fast paced as other games, even despite the fact that Kayima specifically said it would not be of a genre he's done before (which means it was never going to be like DMC even though that seemed to be the expectation people had).
Right.. it was said in a couple interviews almost a year ago.

LQX

I loved how it looked and played. Seems like game if it was on PS4 would be on page 50 by now so I hope if good it does well with the XBox One crowd

Soooooooooo.

I love video games so much. I really can't find anything I have a problem with. So far this looks amazing graphically. I would say the running looks a bit dorky but having your Dragon kick ass with you is dope. I love when the scorpion spider thing leg swiped the dragon, he actually flew back and fell. The fighting looks like typical Japanese style but I still loved it. It's a must buy for me... I love this and now to get over to the QB thread which also we amazing!

IvorB

That looked really cool except the player character was giving off strong Delsin/DmC Dante vibes which is quite unpleasant.

Amir0x

Banned
I knew the criticism for this would primarily consist of the combat not being as fast paced as other games, even despite the fact that Kayima specifically said it would not be of a genre he's done before (which means it was never going to be like DMC even though that seemed to be the expectation people had).

My issue is not that it's slow by itself, it's that it's slow + the abilities Kamiya was displaying in combat was not very varied. It was a simple recurring combo hack+slash much of the time, plus that time he threw a mine, plus some air+slash. It has a simple transforming mechanic, and you can assign simplistic commands to your Dragon buddy. Just didn't seem very varied or deep. If you're going to be slow, you need to make up for it with strategic combat and compelling mechanics (say, the way a Demon/Dark Souls game is).

My hope is Kamiya was just choosing to play the game in a boring way. It's just a demo and there's only so much you can show for an action RPG in that time.

Draft

Microsoft should get this released ASAP and really eat Sony's lunch in the small boy leads around giant monster genre.

aravuus

I've never really been into the stylish sort of action games Platinum usually makes, but this looks fucking awesome

Weak first showing. Looks like Babby's First Platinum game. Knowing Kamiya, though, theres most likely more to it. We shall see.

Definitely worried about them chasing that "cinematic" experience. I don't need camera angles shooting around to different places when I'm in combat, ffs. Just keep it on me. Other than that looks pretty decent.

tbd

About one year of polishing ahead, looks great. Finally a game from Kamiya with more focus on action adventure instead of just running from fight to fight. Finally.

people disliking the vid already :(

An exclusive Platinum game always means many jealous people. I can understand it.

jet1911

I thought it looked great. It's an RPG so I guess the combat will get a lot more flashy as you progress. Can't wait to see more!

Lazlo

The protagonist's lines give me a How to Train Your Dragon vibe, but the duo pictured don't have nearly as much chemistry as Hiccup and Toothless

So ... you gotta play as this dude?
Cause we see other Dragons and humans at the end, would suck if they were only for co-op.

Raide

Looking forward to seeing more. The framerate issues are fin since its all in development. Loving the idea but I want to see some customisation.

Sohaim

Does anyone knows if MS is funding/co-developing or owns the IP in some form or way? or is this like DR3/Ryse?

I don't want to be that guy, but I've only been holding onto my Xbox One for this game, but this demo looks really slow, boring and generic and not at all what I want from a Platinum game. I'm still gonna wait and see more though, but my first impression is not very good... :/

Dabanton

Well I hope the IGN first look gives us a ton more details.

frame rate on a game not out until late 2016 doesn't bother me. I want to hear more about the world,how open it is. The combat systems and how and when you can change into that armoured form.

cheesekao

About one year of polishing ahead, looks great. Finally a game from Kamiya with more focus on action adventure instead of just running from fight to fight. Finally.

An exclusive Platinum game always means many jealous people. I can understand it.
Or maybe people didn't like what they saw. I know I didn't and I'm a big fan Kamiya's games outside of one or two of his games. I can accept slow combat but this is slow and uninspired.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This look indeed very Xenoblade-like. Including the combat speed. Flying on dragons vs. flying on mechs like in X and a character that manages somehow to look even more boring that the default character in Xenoblade X trailers.

But still, the world looks great and the dragon looks great, so if the RPG elements are decent, I will jump in.

noshten

Looks great, hopefully there is enough depth and challenge to make it worthwhile. Although I probably won't be playing it unless it makes it to PC.

Mik2121

Did you have a hand in those :D!?

I did, yeah (was in charge of the environment shown). Hope you liked it!
PS. Not trying to bring attention or anything tho, can't say anything else other than that I worked on this, as this game is still in production. Hope you guys look forward to it!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
You guys caught the multiplayer at the end right?

Looks cool but I hope with the including of multiplayer it doesn't affect the games technical side too adversely. I seriously don't care about multiplayer in action RPGs but if it doesn't fuck with the main game, then fine.

Shin-Ra

so confirmed we have to play as that toolbag?
DonteTude.gif

"those western gamers (there thar be dragons) love characters with lots of 'tude, right"

Top Bottom