• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCUF Releases a New PS4 Controller to Rival the Xbox Elite Controller

DocSeuss

Easier to play shooters on the Xbox than to buy a SCUF controller. Paddles aren't that great. I love that you can take 'em off the Elite. Too bad this controller doesn't have asymmetrical sticks. The Dualshock's never going to be a good controller without them.

I just don't know why Sony doesn't give us a version of their own, as it is their sticks suck.

giphy.gif

OP it appears that you have a lot of money to burn :p

I really don't want an "elite" DS4, I just want one that feels like new after a few months. I have two anniversary DS4's and so far they've been the highest quality DS4's I've owned but they still have the issue where the sticks stop feeling smooth after a few months. Makes it difficult to aim in shooters. Hope Sony fixes this cause I'm tired of selling my DS4's every year and buying new ones

Justinh

I don't understand. How these are new? Are they different than the ones already available?

I see that in OP it says that trigger stops and swappable sticks are now equipped, but I'm almost certain that at least the trigger stops were options before when I checked out the SCUF site when comparing to the Xbox Elite.

Am I remembering something wrong?

WadeitOut

how come the grips look like gravel
doesnt seem very comfortable

It's optional. I use to only get the Scuf logo grip not the dumb paint splotch grip. But like I said, I would strongly avoid Scuf for customer service/build/QA reasons.

I've owned three (Xbox 360x2 and an Xbox One) and I don't really see the point specifically for the PS4. I used it primarily for Halo because of the arena shooter nature of the game, but I don't really get the need for any PS4 titles. In COD All you are really going to be using it for is drop shots and melee but those two things on the compact nature of the PS4 button /stick layout makes it unnecessary.

I don't understand. How these are new? Are they different than the ones already available?

Not sure if they were just actually released or what but they were first announced/shown last year. They are just basically their normal controller with the ability to now swap sticks.

Orayn

I see that in OP it says that trigger stops and swappable sticks are now equipped, but I'm almost certain that at least the trigger stops were options before when I checked out the SCUF site when comparing to the Xbox Elite.

Am I remembering something wrong?

I think the ring that lets you adjust analog stick range is new. The rest, yeah, already existed on various SCUF models.

Justinh

It's optional. I use to only get the Scuf logo grip not the dumb paint splotch grip. But like I said, I would strongly avoid Scuf for customer service/build/QA reasons.

I've owned three (Xbox 360x2 and an Xbox One) and I don't really see the point specifically for the PS4. I used it primarily for Halo because of the arena shooter nature of the game, but I don't really get the need for any PS4 titles. In COD All you are really going to be using it for is drop shots and melee but those two things on the compact nature of the PS4 button /stick layout makes it unnecessary.

Not sure if they were just actually released or what but they were first announced/shown last year. They are just basically their normal controller with the ability to now swap sticks.

I think the ring that lets you adjust analog stick range is new. The rest, yeah, already existed on various SCUF models.

Ah, thanks. Yeah, I must've been misremembering the triggerstops too, or maybe getting confused with the XOne pad options.
Unfortunate they're still limited to 2 paddles on the PS controllers.

I was considering on getting a PS4 SCUF for a family friend as I gave him a PS4 at launch. I ended up getting him an Elite XOne controller for Christmas, lol...

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Easier to play shooters on the Xbox than to buy a SCUF controller. Paddles aren't that great. I love that you can take 'em off the Elite. Too bad this controller doesn't have asymmetrical sticks. The Dualshock's never going to be a good controller without them.
In your opinion. I prefer the PlayStation layout, and not of fan of the Xbox's layout. Although I have no problem playing with any controller. The Dualshock 4 is the GOAT to me. The k LT thing it needs is better battery life.

Hoje0308

Banned
Lol Sony is it dropping an elite controller. While it would be cool, it's not going to happen. Companies don't have to copy each other with every little thing you know.

They will if there's a market and the standard controller is off piss tier build quality. And if anyone is going to copy another company, it's going to be Sony.

RS4-

You can find people on CL or the equivalent that'll mod ps4 pads for you to function like the elite. No trigger stops though.

And it wouldn't cost $400.

oSoLucky

Thought I just opened a thread from 2011 for a minute there.

I'm sure it controls great but it is ugly as sin.

Seriously. Why is it that all of these companies have a very poor grasp of basic design principles? I understand that to a certain extent this is inevitable given the level of customizability on the consumer end, but the default configurations are almost unequivocally hideous.

Like, I don't even expect them to be original with anything they're releasing. Just go watch a Microsoft/Apple/Google/Samsung/*insert major company* advert and copy that shit. It's a start.

Just bought 3. Thanks OP! One is for Xbox One. Looks like a good improvement over the Elite. Plus when my friends come over this is so ugly no one will fight with me to use it.

gatti-man

I have three scuf 4ps controllers. I'd like to get one of these but honestly the 4ps with its tall custom sticks and paddles is fine for me. Great for destiny trials pvp and overwatch or COD.

They are necessary. In destiny trials pvp to res someone while shooting and aiming you have to crab claw the controller. With scuf 4ps it's easy and natural. Also slide shot gunning is much easier and the longer sticks allow for higher sensitivity and better aiming in sniping which are advantages. It doesn't feel like a big deal until I pick up a stock ps4 controller and realize what a piece of crap it is for shooters. It's trash compared to a custom 4ps.

PTLzKQu.png

So, for those who do not know, SCUF Gaming is known for their controllers for the competitive gaming audience. They're not the cheapest, but the paddles should be a standard for every controller.

She absolutely loves it, but I'm trying to justify my purchase. Keep in mind, I just burned about $400 for a 4PS for my kids for Christmas. Now they're freaking out over the new one, too. Oh, the dilemma.

6GbrHcb.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So OP is never coming back in an attempt to bury the thread and escape the mods' wrath?

They don't take astroturfing kindly, you should know op since you were already a member when The Great Anti-Astroturfers War was fought and won by a bunch of chosen heroes back in 2013

Jamaro85

When I played Black Ops 2 I really wanted to try out a SCUF for the 360 but couldn't justify paying the price. Thankfully modders started popping on eBay who were selling the "SCUF service" for about 40 bucks. You'd send in a controller, they'd give it the treatment and send it back.

While I haven't used a SCUF before I have to say that the modder did a damn good job. He basically just added the paddles, trigger stops and hair triggering. I also had him change the button colors. It's definitely nice to not have to take your finger off of the analog stick to jump or knife/go prone.

If I wanted the SCUF experience again for the PS4 I'd probably have to look into doing something similar as I can't justify paying $150+ for a controller.

Edit: Not trying to come off as promoting anything.

Kindekuma

Banned
I was looking at that controller, and for some reason I was feeling hungry every time I looked at the grip. Where have I seen it before? Oh right.

It looks pretty much identical to the back of a Nestle Crunch bar.

2622605762_649907c486.jpg

Gusto

When I played Black Ops 2 I really wanted to try out a SCUF for the 360 but couldn't justify paying the price. Thankfully modders started popping on eBay who were selling the "SCUF service" for about 40 bucks. You'd send in a controller, they'd give it the treatment and send it back.

While I haven't used a SCUF before I have to say that the modder did a damn good job. He basically just added the paddles, trigger stops and hair triggering. I also had him change the button colors. It's definitely nice to not have to take your finger off of the analog stick to jump or knife/go prone.

Edit: Not trying to come off as promoting anything.

Thanks for the tip, I have so many stock PS4 controllers that this may be the cheapest way. I already modded the sticks to Xbox sticks, but dem triggers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
These look like crap compared to the elites. They should work on the aesthetics. (Not talking bout functionality of course)

nakedeyes

Banned
Holy shit you guys. Reading all these comments on the first page about how SCUF quality is shit while XBONE Elite controller is god's gift is fucking HILARIOUS! You know MS got SCUF to make the elite controller right?! Fucking A

kingwingin

Holy shit you guys. Reading all these comments on the first page about how SCUF quality is shit while XBONE Elite controller is god's gift is fucking HILARIOUS! You know MS got SCUF to make the elite controller right?! Fucking A
i dont think they made the controller. I thought it was just for patents

nakedeyes

Banned
i dont think they made the controller. I thought it was just for patents
Oh shit. I thought I remembered multiple articles about SCUF helping them make the thing, but I can only find many articles about them using their patents... Foot in mouth then!

Top Bottom