• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCUF Releases a New PS4 Controller to Rival the Xbox Elite Controller

Falchion

I'll just wait for Sony to make a premium first party equivalent of the Elite. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Justified

Just add this set for cheaper if you want the functionality

61Zko7-mn6L._SL1024_.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'd just like a DS4 with a more solid build that feels better in the hands, a longer battery, and maybe a few other bells and whistles but I don't need something that goes to the lengths of the Elite or SCUF controllers.

qko

Easier to play shooters on the Xbox than to buy a SCUF controller. Paddles aren't that great. I love that you can take 'em off the Elite. Too bad this controller doesn't have asymmetrical sticks. The Dualshock's never going to be a good controller without them.

Seriously, if you're gonna spend $400 on custom controllers, just buy a used Xbox one and an elite controller.

lol it was X-Mas and my boys wanted them. I'm not going to lie, they set me back since that wasn't all they got, but man do they love them.

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone. If you wanted to spend $400 or even $1000 for custom ps4 controllers, for your boys no less, no one should judge.

Regarding your question, I personally always try to be financially responsible. If you getting this Scuf controller won't set you back in other areas and you can do it...go for it brother. You only live once and it's nice to treat yourself or others once ina while.

Honestly, I'm more apt to grabbing a ribbon to install to a PS4 controller with a few buttons and maybe rig up a paddle set of my own for $25 and some work than $150+ for another one of these. I have the Elite because it came with the Elite Xbox, but I couldn't see myself spending $150 on it, and I REALLY, REALLY like it (I bought a Brooke Xbone to PS4 adapter so I could play Destiny on both systems with the same controller).

AudioEppa

I'd just like a DS4 with a more solid build that feels better in the hands, a longer battery, and maybe a few other bells and whistles but I don't need something that goes to the lengths of the Elite or SCUF controllers.

I have on my ds4 controller the Kontrol Freak handle grips and CQCX thumb grips.

Low cost and goddamn it makes a worlds difference to me, no lie I had problems coming from the ds3, the ds4 made my hands feel uncomfortable shortly after playing, I absolutely hate the standard sticks.

Idk if it's something that will work for you, but give the items a try if you feel like experimenting.

Is $200 a lot to spend on your kids in Christmas? Some people actually make good money, guys.

Anyway, ugly as sin. I'll wait until a better revision comes out.

There is more to an elite controller then paddles and swappable thumbsticks etc.

The biggest improvement by far is the hardened plastic rings around the thumbsticks keeping them buttery smooth and general build quality enhancements.
Excatly.

The main distinction is that a scuff is a modified normal controller with the same build quality and materials.

The elite controller has better build quality and materials + paddles and swappable components.

Of course a lot of people prefer the paddles on a scuff, but the ones on the elite aren't oversensitive if you put some rubber stoppers underneath lol.

PulseONE

Aside from the fact that that is an absolutely ridiculous amount of money to spend on just a controller...the back of it looks really gross to touch :|

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I have on my ds4 controller the Kontrol Freak handle grips and CQCX thumb grips.

Low cost and goddamn it makes a worlds difference to me, no lie I had problems coming from the ds3, the ds4 made my hands feel uncomfortable shortly after playing, I absolutely hate the standard sticks.

Idk if it's something that will work for you, but give the items a try if you feel like experimenting.

I will look into those. I just would like a nicer build quality overall instead of having to buy add on parts but I've already started looking even before this topic. Though I will admit for the amount of times I've dropped my PS4 controller and hard, the thing has held up surprisingly well.

I recently got a bare bones black ps4 scuf with nothing extra. Threw my kontrol freeks on there as usual, and I am very happy. We shall see how long the paddles last. I don't think the extra upgrades are worth it at all.

shandy706

Reads Title

Opens thread

Looks at controller

Laughs

Seriously though, that thing is ugly, and costs more than it should.

ElNino

Is $200 a lot to spend on your kids in Christmas? Some people actually make good money, guys.
For some it sure would be, not so much for others; hell, my son asked for a MBP last Christmas.

I would be okay getting my sons an Elite/SCUF except that they don't treat the controllers well enough for that yet. It's part of the reason I got the Elite for myself, so that I don't need to worry about how they treat "my" controller.

Klyka

Banned
At 200$ for a controller to "be better at console FPS" i'd just get myself a XIM4 and use my mouse and keyboard *shrug*

op right now

ZiNLFEI.gif

btw, thanks op for reminding me i had to pick up mine.

i ordered mine stealth black though. the only thing i dont like is the rubber thingy, the design like is dripping or something but i really wanted a light controller (took out the rumbles as well)

cant get used to the long R2 buttons though, let's see what happens tonight when i give it a test playing
Witcher 3's Blood & Wine

kingwingin

That actually looks pretty decent.

But no way could i drop $200 on a controller and not have an upgraded battery. Triple the battery life and im in

vin-buc

Lol at the "ugly as sin" comments. The military grade grip is an option. The stealth scud above looks great. Here's my problem:

The Dualshock 4 feels/looks great but it's junk - the left analog stick has gone on all 4 of my controllers. There is either a random slowness when turning left or when trying to sprint with L3 - doesn't register the push. I've never paid more than $40 for each controller btw. If I plunk down on a scud to have the analogs stop working - I'd be upset.

I've bought the analogs themselves and attempted to replace them but I fried the controller board on my test because it was extremely difficult de-soldering the analog itself It has so many connecting points.

I had a cinch controller (they add buttons instead of paddles) - same thing. I'm really considering Xim4 but cost and space for peripherals, etc.

Dualshock 4 build is straight up garbage quality tier.

Mindman

Just want to warn people about those trigger extenders. They are good at extending the triggers, but they add height to tops of the triggers as well. Since my index finger rests between the bumper and trigger, the extra height of the triggers was enough to cause enough accidental trigger presses that I had to stop using them.

ironcreed

Banned
Just want to warn people about those trigger extenders. They are good at extending the triggers, but they add height to tops of the triggers as well. Since my index finger rests between the bumper and trigger, the extra height of the triggers was enough to cause enough accidental trigger presses that I had to stop using them.

I have never even thought about using those things. Standard and official controllers for me all the way.

With some careful work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sale-PS4-Pr...252470?hash=item2366e6bab6:g:musAAOSw~oFXD7Ub

Adding levers would be a simple thing to do, relatively. It wouldn't be quite as clean as the Elite, but it would be cheaper than Scuf, you'd be the only one to blame and support for doing a crappy job and it doesn't make a direct modification to the controller other than drilling the holes for the buttons (which you can just buy an extra bottom shell for).

pelican

If you're willing to drop that kind of cash on your kids you should buy a solid HTPC for the living room or something. Better gaming experience than any amount of custom controlers will do.

What has this got to do with SCUF controllers?

Not everyone wants to play on the PC.

aristotle

SCUF controllers are NOT known for the quality of their build. The reason you see so many streamers use them is because they get a free one every 3 months. For regular users, most of them break between the 3-6 month mark. They're a waste of money for most people.

i knew it was a possibility but too bad it doesnt work on my PowerA charging dock, oh well.

SCUF controllers are NOT known for the quality of their build. The reason you see so many streamers use them is because they get a free one every 3 months. For regular users, most of them break between the 3-6 month mark. They're a waste of money for most people.

damn, i hope my scuf is an exception lol

Rellik

I think it looks better in GifGafIsTheBestGaf post than the promo pictures in the OP. Not too flattering in the official pics.

LiK

They also sell them for $130-150 which is the same price as the Elite. I've had 3 DS4s broke from just regular use. Might invest once the 4th one breaks. The first party controller buttons and sticks are garbage.

kingwingin

A few months ago I started a thread about wanting an "elite" controller for PS4, and a Sony rep posted in it, and said that they're looking into it.
i just checked and they said they would pass along the feedback. Not that they were looking into it.

Tho i can see sony going after the elite controller market. MS showed that there is a demand. I bet it costs a few dollars more to make but they sell it for 3x normal controller

Rellik

i just checked and they said they would pass along the feedback. Not that they were looking into it.

Tho i can see sony going after the elite controller market. MS showed that there is a demand. I bet it costs a few dollars more to make but they sell it for 3x

I'll buy one if it still fits into my official Sony charge dock. I'm not using a wire to charge it.

Ryde3

I love my Elite, how does the vertical layout of the under paddles compare to the horizontal layout of the Elite?

Canklestank

Neo Member
I'd rather lose at every game I play, tbh.

I'll wait for an official Sony one, but MadCatz should think about getting into this market, especially after Rock Band.

Top Bottom