• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE announces Chaos Rings III (iOS/Android) and Chaos Rings III Prequel Trilogy (Vita)

Shizuka

Siliconera is the same thing. They say that "Chaos Rings III: Prequel Trilogy" is just the name of the Vita version of Chaos Rings III.

Ourobolus

Banned
As much as I liked the first game (and what I played of Omega), I'm very wary about the fact that that menu screenshot has what looks like TWO kinds of currencies...

Widge

Never heard of Chaos Rings....probably due to the fact it's mobile...anyone know if it's worth playing (for Vita) for a JRPG fanatic?

Depends. I saw screenshots of it and exploded in a shower of "it looks like Final Fantasy 8!" sparkles. If you go into it expecting it to be a Final Fantasy game, you will come out feeling crushed. In fact, I wouldn't say it is overtly jRPG-ish.

You'll probably need someone to do the other side of this argument though.

Ourobolus

Banned
Just read the Japanese Famitsu article, and it does seem to be that only 3 is releasing on Vita.

From the site, doesn't it say "in addition to" CR3, Vita will be getting the C3 "Prequel Trilogy?" As in most likely, CR 1, 2, Omega?

I don't think it explicitly says that it's just CR3 so much as not saying enough detail about the trilogy?

I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I guess it could just mean the storybooks. Man that's dumb.

zeromcd73

Misinformation should be cleared and the OP should be edited accordingly.

It's releasing on the same day as the smartphone version, but it's name is different and the Vita has prequel trilogy in the title. However, I couldn't find anywhere in the actual article where it says anything about the other two games are well... actually being included with it. It's not on the pre-order page either.

Maybe SE just decided to stick some extra words on the Vita version?

From the site, doesn't it say "in addition to" CR3, Vita will be getting the C3 "Prequel Trilogy?" As in most likely, CR 1, 2, Omega?

I don't think it explicitly says that it's just CR3 so much as not saying enough detail about the trilogy?

I could be wrong though.

I think prequel trilogy is just the name of the special edition which include art and music from the three other games. It doesn't mention actually including the games themselves.

Edit: Actually, that's wrong because the Vita version is called that everywhere, but the special edition is exclusive to Square's store. I guess it might just be an odd subtitle, like "For the Sequel" was, but there's certainly no mention of it including the other three games so far.

I could be wrong though.

EDIT: I guess it could just mean the storybooks. Man that's dumb.
So it could be a misleading port name of the third game, the name of the limited edition of the third game or a second game with the first 3 games.

You know when Japanese games were called random engrish / latin words that made no fucking sense? Let's go back to that, that was good.

Ourobolus

Banned
So it could be a misleading port name of the third game, the name of the limited edition of the third game or a second game with the first 3 games.

You know when Japanese games were called random engrish / latin words that made no fucking sense? Let's go back to that, that was good.

Bravely Default

Yes, I know it's somewhat related. But still.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
According to Gematsu, the Vita is only getting a port of the third game:

http://gematsu.com/2014/08/chaos-rings-iii-announced-smartphones-ps-vita
As i said before

Mmmm... i dunno, Square gonna Square, i can see it having something wrong, i mean it's written nowhere that it has the 3-4 games, it sounds to me more like a limited edition with a book with artworks and a summary of the story so far... I hope to be wrong or having misunderstood though.

Prelude.

Whoa, I didn't know Chaos Rings was a Media.Vision game. I tried the first one and I thought it was complete garbage, at least this looks kinda decent judging from the screenshots.

synce

I almost forgot about this series... played a couple hours of the first game, it was very generic even by JRPG standards. I remember there was way too much tapping too. At least Vita owners won't have that problem

Chaos Rings 1 was awesome for it's time on mobile, I still enjoy it, 2 I am still playing.

Looks like they changed the artist for 3.

Takao

Banned
I can't believe Square Enix would be stupid enough to name something "Chaos Rings III Prequel Trilogy" and not include the prequel games to Chaos Rings III. Why even release that at retail? Why give it a different name?

61FVwbpXcGL.jpg

Vita really is a PS2 to Japanese developers...

Those are iPhone 5 screenshots. Vita version may look worse, the same, or better.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Cool, looking forward to it. I beat Chaos Rings 1 and Omega with all the available characters, both games range from mediocre to decent but they were fun enough and scratched the mobile RPG itch nicely. Still need to play CR2 though, I'll get to it before this new one is released in English.

The End

really wish they'd update CR2 to use the iPhone5/5s screen dimensions, I played the hell out of the first game but I'm not spending $15 for a game that hasn't been updated in two years.

Einhander

The things I really didn't like about Chaos Rings were having to go through the repetitive motions with other characters to get more of the story to open up, and the lack of any towns. Returning to the main hub throughout the game was boring.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
The things I really didn't like about Chaos Rings were having to go through the repetitive motions with other characters to get more of the story to open up, and the lack of any towns. Returning to the main hub throughout the game was boring.

Yeah, I agree (although they did improve on the formula with the second game). But I guess it was their way of keeping costs down, recycling assets over and over again.

Goli

There's no clear information regarding whether the Vita version includes the other three games or not, but I think it does considering the logo for Prequel Trilogy has 4 rings, with each the color of the logo of one of the entries in the series, why would they do that if they didn't include the others? At the very least I expect a summary similar to the one KHDDD had for past entries.

Goli

do people not realize it was perfo who put the whole "important series" thing into siliconera's story which was just a trademark listing post

That name is really confusing for the Vita version. I'm still really confused. Is it really just Chaos Rings III but with a stupid title?

SerTapTap

...the Vita version is 50% more expensive and doesn't even have the first two games? WTF SE? That can't be right.

Top Bottom