• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Murray's message to you before playing No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

Feels inappropriate and completely calculated to get a reaction like this. Hope the game cane speak for itself because the "gee wiz guys I really hope you like it" thing is sort of played out at this point.

Not to be a downer, but I sorta agree with this. Of course, Sean seems like a nice dude, and I'm sure the team worked their asses off working on the game, but for this sorta message to be included in press kits (not retail copies?)..I dunno.

If you've ever seen this guy talk about the game, or talk about his time in the industry, or his love for sci-fi, this comes across as completely genuine.

To me it always came off as a practiced shtick.

This isn't included in every copy of the game, it is in press / review kits and clearly meant to try and influence thoughts and feelings.

There's a crony, false-faced genuineness and then there's the real deal. It's hard for me sometimes to determine the difference, but damn there's no doubt in my mind Sean and the rest of the team are the real deal.

Doop

Feels inappropriate and completely calculated to get a reaction like this. Hope the game cane speak for itself because the "gee wiz guys I really hope you like it" thing is sort of played out at this point.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to claim this is some sort of marketing ploy.

I think if you wanted to nefariously get some sort of sympathetic reaction out of people for marketing purposes, you wouldn't do it by including a message in a press kit most people wouldn't see.

pj

Banned
Not to be a downer, but I sorta agree with this. Of course, Sean seems like a nice dude, and I'm sure the team worked their asses off working on the game, but for this sorta message to be included in press kits (not retail copies?)..I dunno.

Yeah, and the title of this thread is kind of dumb.

That's from the press kit, not the retail game. It's not a message for me because I'm not a game reviewer

What happened to you man? Everything is going to be alright...

That's from the press kit, not the retail game. It's not a message for me because I'm not a game reviewer

But you will play it.

If you read it again, it's meant as a message to anyone playing the game - he's just affirming that he hopes that you like what he and his team have created for you.

Spaghetti

Though I don't have a strong opinion about No Man's Sky either way, I think this message is a surprisingly honest account of being both worried and excited about putting a creative work out there for close critical scrutiny.

I hope it works out for the best for both the developers and the players. It's been weird seeing some people gleefully hoping the game will miss its marks.

kogasu

Don't wanna be cynical here and from what I've seen, I believe Sean to be nice and genuine so they can have all of my <3s.

Shinjica

From the No Man's Sky press kit

CpYlhHxUEAExxd9.jpg

Sean Murray has been nothing but humble, genuine, enthusiastic whenever he talks about his game and this message sums up his enthusiasm for NMS, for sci-fi, and why he's one of my favorite developers

¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

It's a message that is as fitting to a reviewer as it is to an ordinary player.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

This isn't included in every copy of the game, it is in press / review kits and clearly meant to try and influence thoughts and feelings.

The Us vs. Them mentality needs to die. It has always been the most toxic thing in gaming.

OuterLimits

Oh, for some reason I thought this was in the limited edition or something and not just to the press with their copies. Title gave me that impression.

You make an interesting point, even though I disagree.

Drencrom

That's a nice message, it should have come with the game too. Like how many books comes with a preface from the author.

I'd also be writing shit like that knowing I'm going to be rich as fuck in a couple weeks time. Felt like that when I met my girlfriend and a little less so when I got my uni degree.

But the message isnt for ever player - its for press.
It's in the media kit but the tone of the message isn't of something written specifically for press. I've seen enough press releases and such to know the kind of wording.

This message could be talking to anyone who plays the game. It's a message to a player of the game, not just a reviewer of the game

so1337

Nice message and Sean seems like a total dude, but man, he needs an editor.

"That you are even taking the time to play our game, when our previous titles might not have".

What? Hello Games' previous games have maybe played their games? Look, I know what he means in the context of the paragraph, but that's a shocker of a sentence.

Doubling up on the "feel lost" is poo, too.

:)
I noticed this as well. Might not've what? lol

He seems like a great guy, but my video card died, so I had to cancel my pre-order. It might be awhile, that 500 bucks is going to hurt, badly.

It's in the media kit but the tone of the message isn't of something written specifically for press. I've seen enough press releases and such to know the kind of wording.

This message could be talking to anyone who plays the game. It's a message to a player of the game, not just a reviewer of the game

Okay? That all seems totally speculative as it isn't in the normal copies and has only come out because someone in the press released it.

Gotta give credit though - the marketing and PR around this game has been absolutely amazing.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Okay? That all seems totally speculative as it isn't in the normal copies and has only come out because someone in the press released it.

Gotta give credit though - the marketing and PR around this game has been absolutely amazing.
Rare to see someone quite this jaded.

Not speculative at all. Just read the message. Nothing in that, in the tone or prose, is about reviewing a game or scoring a game, but the act of playing one and releasing a game to the public and making a game

The cynicism and backhanded compliments really back up your argument. Gotta give you credit - you do know how to keep a sharp edge. You're argument relies on a few things - one, that we don't know anything about Sean. Unfortunately, anyone who has actually payed attention to the game does. Two, that the people who spend their life reviewing games are all schmucks off the street who can be wheedled into giving games a better score out of pity. I have never seen this behavior from any reviewer of any medium. Reviewers can be some of the most vicious and cutthroat in the writing business. Just read most of the early Jene Siskel or Roger Ebert reviews.

It's not really an interesting idea, although it does have some base logic behind it. I'm not much of a fun of base logic though since it tends to forget that people - by nature - are fairly illogical.

How anyone could read that note and turn it into a negative is beyond me. Sean Murray has never come off as anything other than genuine and humble as hell.

You know what, I've lost a lot of interest in this game since it's initial reveal, but it's something the development team should be incredibly proud of, and I think the team should receive a lot of praise for chasing this idea. It's a very ambitious idea, and I can imagine a lot of people, when faced with the task of bringing it to reality would be discouraged by at how complex, and time consuming of a task it would be.

Whether it works well or not remains to be seen, but it's cool that they straight up had a super ambitious idea, and then just went ahead and started working on it.

You're argument relies on a few things - one, that we don't know anything about Sean. Unfortunately, anyone who has actually payed attention to the game does.

You know what you've seen and read about as he markets the game but that doesn't mean you actually know much, if anything, about him.

Also these types of letters, with similar sentiments, aren't uncommon in press kits. They are calculated to try and subtlety influence 100%.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This seems more like someone with anxiety who is slightly panicking before the biggest moment of his life. Kind of like a, "please be gentle, I worked very hard on this" type of thing. Which is fine, but it's not humble so much as it is potential damage control for all of the reviews that will be coming out. Sean said in his hour long interview with IGN that he always feels slightly depressed after the release of a game he was involved in and that he has difficulty not taking negative reviews personally.

Still a nice message though.

Pretty much. Seems like a nice dude, but it also seems a bit manipulative.

Hupsel

Nice message. I am sure that Sean is a nice dude and put a lot of work on his game alongside his entire team. What is written, however, doesn´t do a lot for me. Same stuff written there can be said for a lot of developers that are shipping a game and waiting for results and what people think about their products, they just don´t send a message with their review copies to the press.

worked too, you have people in this thread saying they're buying the game because of it. people even saying they cried, lol.

You know what you've seen and read about as he markets the game but that doesn't mean you actually know much, if anything, about him.

Also these types of letters, with similar sentiments, aren't uncommon in press kits. They are calculated to try and subtlety influence 100%.
If they're so common that press and reviewers have likely seen dozens over the years, perhaps the fact that the journalist felt it was worth sharing this one in particular says something

some of you guys are so cynical. i mean, I'm pretty cynical, but you guys are on a different level.

cynical, or realistic? he's a person trying to get your money, just like everyone else. i don't have a problem with it, but i'm not going to pretend like this is some noble gesture.

I'm the most cynical person I know, and for once I feel nothing but complete sincerity coming from a developer.

Fucking shame some of you are being so down on the guy for what is very clearly a humble attempt at reaching out to people.

Clearly you guys haven't put five years of your life into a game before. Especially one as insanely anticipated as this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom