• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Murray's message to you before playing No Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
cynical, or realistic? he's a person trying to get your money, just like everyone else. i don't have a problem with it, but i'm not going to pretend like this is some noble gesture.

Guys, nobody ever does anything because they like it.

It's always about money.

Your wife, your kids, your family. Those hugs they give you? Money.

They just see you as one of those bags with dollar signs on it.

Speely

Banned
cynical, or realistic? he's a person trying to get your money, just like everyone else. i don't have a problem with it, but i'm not going to pretend like this is some noble gesture.

You are on autopilot and you might have just almost plowed into someone trying to pave more roads.

Hupsel

If they're so common that press and reviewers have likely seen dozens over the years, perhaps the fact that the journalist felt it was worth sharing this one in particular says something

To be fair, a lot of forums and gamers have elevated Sean as one of the most charismatic and lovable designers of the year. A huge number of people suddenly started loving him after NMS was revealed. He is a nice dude, yeah, but a lot of forum users find his style very cool and lovable - someone that is shy, can have a panic attack on stage and is an indie dev who dearly loves his project - so it makes sense for the media to report a letter sent to them that fits this exact persona (not saying it´s a lie or manipulative, just the kind of person he shows to the public), since people would once again talk about it and how Sean loves his project. It probably isn´t manipulative. To work on a game for a shit ton of years you need to love your game and put faith on it. But also not saying he didn´t know this message would reach fans as well and that´s also very smart from him. Doesn´t make him a dickhead in my book.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Even if its genuine, and I believe it is from what ive seen of Sean, my response to it and many of the hyperbole from some fans is:

"Calm down its just a videogame"

A very good one hopefully, but yeah, the "oh my god this experience will change your life" vibe rubs me the wrong way

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

One thing I learned about being a heavy cynic at one time, we always lied to ourselves and hid behind the word, "realistic". Our fucking egos man.

Speely

Banned
Even if its genuine, and I believe it is from what ive seen of Sean, my response to it and many of the hyperbole from some fans is:

A very good one hopefully, but yeah, the "oh my god this experience will change your life" vibe rubs me the wrong way

Don't remember anyone ever claiming the bolded.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
[/b]

Don't remember anyone ever claiming the bolded.

I said it was a vibe, not something someone said. Its my opinion, im allowed to have it no? Just the fact that you are so fast to jump to "defend" it just reinforces that idea. To me.

To be fair, im sure as a fan of the game yiu are tired of people bashing it maybe (which in not even doing) which is understandable, especially lately.

Man, fuck Sean Murray for trying to connect with players and reviewers on a personal level as a game developer. Who the fuck does he think he is? Telling reviewers that he appreciates them playing his game? I smell bias! I mean where the fuck does Sean get off on saying that he's proud of how big his game has become by acknowledging the media kit? He just wants that high review score money.
*Shakes Angry Fist At Computer Screen*

I don't get that vibe from the message

When I first started writing about indie games, I said to myself that even if just one person reads about why I enjoyed an indie game that they might not have heard and was compelled to check it out, then I would be satisfied. That's what compelled me to write about games, that others could learn about games they might not have heard of and enjoy it for the reasons the games clicked with me. Because I wanted to share my passion with others

That's the kind of vibe I get from the message

Guys, nobody ever does anything because they like it.

It's always about money.

Your wife, your kids, your family. Those hugs they give you? Money.

They just see you as one of those bags with dollar signs on it.

Listen nana, kick the bucket already, I'm after that cold hard cash.

I'm gonna wring my dog out for every penny in her fur when I get home.

And then I'm going to journal my feelings so that someday I can write a memoir and sell it for cold hard cash.

Then I'm gonna have sex with my beautiful spouse so that they feel obligated to pay for dinner next time with their cold hard cash.

Rhaknar

The vibe is from the hype around the game since it was announced, not from the message per se, the message is just another little tidbit on it.

Like Sean tweeting people not to watch streams because they will ruin the game and they worked so hard on it.

Like... how about I experience this content how I choose to Sean, ok thanks.

Ironically the recent streams sold me on the game 100 times more than any official marketing did.

Noobcraft

It's a little heavy handed if I'm honest but at least he's passionate. All it needed was a cute picture of a space dog or something to top it off. Best wishes to his team though, game development sounds like a nightmare.

Alucrid

Banned
The vibe is from the hype around the game since it was announced, not from the message per se, the message is just another little tidbit on it.

Like Sean tweeting people not to watch streams because they will ruin the game and they worked so hard on it.

Like... how about I experience this content how I choose to Sean, ok thanks.

Ironically the recent streams sold me on the game 100 times more than any official marketing did.

that's just his opinion. hes allowed to have it no?

Rhaknar

that's just his opinion. hes allowed to have it no?

Actually, telling me not to watch streams isnt an opinion no, its an order. Or, well, its a request. But I see what you did there, kudos.

Probably the best message from a game designer to an audience I've ever seen. Captures all the emotions of making something for a giant group of people to consume and just hoping they'll enjoy the journey as much as you've enjoyed putting in the work to make it for them. Touching, poignant, and frankly makes me a little jealous because I've always wanted to visit the Australian Outback, which I assume at this point is basically as varied as 18 quintilian procedurally generated planets.

JambiBum

I don't get that vibe from the message

When I first started writing about indie games, I said to myself that even if just one person reads about why I enjoyed an indie game that they might not have heard and was compelled to check it out, then I would be satisfied. That's what compelled me to write about games, that others could learn about games they might not have heard of and enjoy it for the reasons the games clicked with me. Because I wanted to share my passion with others

That's the kind of vibe I get from the message

Except if this message was something that is meant for all gamers shouldn't it be included in all copies and not just press copies? To me (and obviously some others) it feels more like a note to the press that says "hey there, we've put a lot of our heart and soul into this game and we hope that you take that into account and aren't too harsh in your reviews because it will really crush us". I interpret it as him trying to get some pity from reviewers because there are some issues with the game and he doesn't want it to reflect badly on his team. You can't really say that this is a message for everyone when the only reason that the public now knows about it is because a member of the press made it public.

I realize that people who disagree with me are going to call me cynical or heartless or whatever but so be it. I wouldn't feel the way I do about the message if it was included in all copies instead of just for the press.

The game may be great when everything is said and done but even if it is it won't change the way I look at this message and some of the other things that has happened with the game.

Alucrid

Banned
Except if this message was something that is meant for all gamers shouldn't it be included in all copies and not just press copies? To me (and obviously some others) it feels more like a note to the press that says "hey there, we've put a lot of our heart and soul into this game and we hope that you take that into account and aren't too harsh in your reviews because it will really crush us". I interpret it as him trying to get some pity from reviewers because there are some issues with the game and he doesn't want it to reflect badly on his team. You can't really say that this is a message for everyone when the only reason that the public now knows about it is because a member of the press made it public.

I realize that people who disagree with me are going to call me cynical or heartless or whatever but so be it. I wouldn't feel the way I do about the message if it was included in all copies instead of just for the press.

The game may be great when everything is said and done but even if it is it won't change the way I look at this message and some of the other things that has happened with the game.

no you are right. they should have just sent press on a reduced gravity aircraft flight to get the review scores and skip the note

creeper.gif

I will wait for reviews

Not to be a downer, but I sorta agree with this. Of course, Sean seems like a nice dude, and I'm sure the team worked their asses off working on the game, but for this sorta message to be included in press kits (not retail copies?)..I dunno.
Yep, count me on board with this sentiment. He also seems pretty full of himself on the procedurally generated content. Ultimately the game is going to be judged on its own merits, not how much indie-heart-outpour the guy can dump out. If the game ends up getting good reviews, and if his 'tiny team' can reach deep within themselves and write some code to support TrackIR they can have my $60.

sjay1994

I hope the best for Sean and his team. The game might not be something I am willing to pay full price for, but he is definitely a genuine person who is passionate about this game. I'll definitely check it out down the line.

I'm fairly certain the reason the retail copy of the game doesn't have the letter is because manuals don't exist anymore, there's nothing to print it on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yep, count me on board with this sentiment. He also seems pretty full of himself on the procedurally generated content. Ultimately the game is going to be judged on its own merits, not how much indie-heart-outpour the guy can dump out. If the game ends up getting good reviews, and if his 'tiny team' can reach deep within themselves and write some code to support TrackIR they can have my $60.

Please do not choose profiling as a profession.

Eccocid

Dear Sean,
If you are that humble PLEASE UNLOCK MY GAME RIGHT NOW PLEEEASE I CANT WAIT 7 HOURS MORE!!11 I WILL BUY YOU FLANNEL SHIRTS AS MUCH AS U WANT!11

Hopeford

Hello! I’m the Managing Director here at Hello Games. I’m from Ireland originally but moved about a bit – including a few years in Australia growing up (apparently leaving me with a confused accent).

Speaking as a dude with a confused accent myself(Canadian, born in Brazil, learned English in Australia and live in Canada now) I automatically sympathize with this guy a LOT just from hearing this haha.

He seems like a great guy, hope the game is a success - he seems to have worked hard on it and more than deserve it.

Interfectum

Eh, have you ever worked on a video game or even a project that consumes 3-4 years of your life? To him, right now, this game is everything. He's obviously put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into this game so it's well beyond 'just a video game' to him.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

why is tiny team in quotation marks? this is certainly the single smallest team ever to work on a ps4 retail title

DrArchon

Wow, Sean really does come across as incredibly genuine about his love for Sci-Fi. You also really get the sense that he still feels in over his head that NMS has gotten as big as it has.

I can only hope that I'll get that same kind of giddy excitement playing NMS.

Walpurgis

Banned
Too bad this wasn't included with the actual game case like The Witcher 3. God knows they could have easily afforded the paper and ink.

Peltz

Feels inappropriate and completely calculated to get a reaction like this. Hope the game cane speak for itself because the "gee wiz guys I really hope you like it" thing is sort of played out at this point.

I mean, how do you ever enjoy life when you interpret even this message with outright cynicism?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I thought it was going to read:

"Before you play No Man's Sky, please don't call all the planets 'Bum'.

Thank you,

Sean"​

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
If you 100% his previous games, Joe Danger / Joe Danger 2, you're given a secret email address to contact him. If you do you get a very heartfelt, individualized reply and a little booklet that tells the history of the ups and downs of the studio and the games' development.
Mega cool

UCBooties

I really wish him and his team the best, even if the game doesn't turn out to be what I wanted. They have put such obvious hope and care into their work.

Man I don't care much about No Man's Sky but why do you have to be such an asshole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom