• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeming surge of hate crimes, assaults, intimidation in wake of Trump victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because someone becomes the ruler of a state, it does not mean you have to tow the line. The responsibility of every democratic citizen is to fight against tyranny. Not a right, not a privilege, but a responsibility.

I get what you guys are saying. I get how you guys are feeling.

But I can't accept it.

If many people, black citizens, citizens of color were to think that way, all of our cultures would die a silent death, submitting to defeat and throwing centuries of fighting and progress down the drain.

I'm not saying it will be easy. But you and your children would be there for each other, for support. It's not like you'd be burdened with having to teach them everything all at once. There's so much good for them to see in the world too.

And there's SO MANY people who also condemn hate and racism. Hell, some of them are organizing right now all over the country. We're all caught in a bad beat right now, but the only way we make things better for tomorrow is if we PERSIST and help each other.

Do not become paralyzed by fear. Find strength. Please

When fucking Trump gets to sit in the White House, you can at least agree that some people are going to feel like they've had their breath punched out.

Ploid 3.0

The corrupt police will be emboldened by Rudy joining Trump's cabinet, then he'll be over the FBI (right?), and that will go well for putting police who go over the line in check. Who will be over the Department of Justice? David Duke?

Dark scary times ahead it feels. 4 years, I gotta lay low for 4 years. Friends and family getting caught up in incidents will wreck me though. I'll defend them with my life if it comes to it, but if it's just me, I will try to run.

You agree those are not good reasons, but are they reason enough to bury minorities neck deep in sand to acquire? How do you justify that?

HEY.

Easy now.

They didn't vote for Trump based on his racist and xenophobic running ideology!

It just so happens that their favourite candidate is a racist and a xenophobe.

Criticising them for voting such a person into office is to ignore whats REALLY important to them (i.e not minorities or their social issues).

Maybe if we all focused on whats REALLY important to Americans instead of focusing on the terror people felt that a racist/sexist/xenophobe/predator was selected to fight for the presidency (i.e.just ignore the threat to minorities by a would be president for a sec) , Trump would never have won.

Will we never learn?

This is what you voted for, I hope every single fucking piece of shit realizes they are the same as this man.

1000509261001_1630293503001_BIO-Biography-Adolf-Hitler-SF.jpg

And these people.
650x366

There is no difference. Lie to yourself or whatever delusions you may have, this is who you are.

"I had to vote for a White Nationalist candidate, because the Black fella made it possible for a bunch of people to get insurance"

You're silly

And what is hilarious is that Dems also don't like the ACA right now and planned on altering it to something else but not just strip it bare.

I hope these Republicans, especially the low income whites, enjoy not having healthcare because of their pre-existing condition or because they hit their lifetime max due to seeking healthcare so often from working manual jobs that breaks their body down. And then they look at the candidate--their president--and ask for something better that protects them like the ACA attempted to do.

jerry113

Banned
I don't think being a trump supporter makes you a bigot, but it at least means you're cool with bigotry. Which isn't any better than being a bigot. Which makes you a bigot by association. So yes, trump supporters are bigots.

I think people defending trump supporters are trying to rationalize a bad situation to appear to not be as bad as it really is - like a coping mechanism.

docbon

Jesus. Come down off your high horse. There are tons of different reasons people voted the way they do. They don't all fit into a tight little category that makes it easier for sore losers to accept a loss.

I've literally, and I mean literally gotten into fights with people who are racists and more especially those that are homophobic with me having a gay little brother and serving in the military with friends that were gay. You may not like or respect my choice. I'm fine with that. You don't have to. It doesn't mean I don't care about people.

He wants to, and will, sign legislation that makes it legal to discriminate against LGBT citizens in dozens of ways, on the grounds of "religious beliefs". You clearly care about your brother, but this has the capacity to do tremendous damage to the way he lives his life with regards to housing, employment, and a host of other issues.

Below is the text of the First Amendment Defense Act that Trump pledged to sign:

Prohibits the federal government from taking discriminatory action against a person on the basis that such person believes or acts in accordance with a religious belief or moral conviction that: (1) marriage is or should be recognized as the union of one man and one woman, or (2) sexual relations are properly reserved to such a marriage.

Defines “discriminatory action” as any federal government action to discriminate against a person with such beliefs or convictions, including a federal government action to:

• Alter the federal tax treatment of, cause any tax, penalty, or payment to be assessed against, or deny, delay, or revoke certain tax exemptions of any such person;
  • disallow a deduction of any charitable contribution made to or by such person;
  • withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any federal grant, contract, subcontract, cooperative agreement, loan, license, certification, accreditation, employment, or similar position or status from or to such person; or
  • withhold, reduce, exclude, terminate, or otherwise deny any benefit under a federal benefit program.
Requires the federal government to consider to be accredited, licensed, or certified for purposes of federal law any person who would be accredited, licensed, or certified for such purposes but for a determination that the person believes or acts in accordance with such a religious belief or moral conviction.

Permits a person to assert an actual or threatened violation of this Act as a claim or defense in a judicial or administrative proceeding and to obtain compensatory damages or other appropriate relief against the federal government.

Authorizes the Attorney General to bring an action to enforce this Act against the Government Accountability Office or an establishment in the executive branch, other than the U.S. Postal Service or the Postal Regulatory Commission, that is not an executive department, military department, or government corporation.

Defines “person” as any person regardless of religious affiliation, including corporations and other entities regardless of for-profit or nonprofit status.

Kalentan

This is just... No- no- no there is no toleration. These people are.. I have a hard time to even describe these bigots, sexists and so on as anything but sub-human. Like how could someone have that much hate towards another ethnicity just how... I don't understand. It feels like I'm on an alien world. I know this may ring hollow because I am white and hetrosexual but I just don't understand. It legit feels like non-racists just became foreigners in their own country.

Enzom21

I posted this in another thread, but these signs were found in the dorms of my university

0SBGRvu.jpg

See this the worst part of Trump's election. It legitimizes all of the racists and bigots out there.
Thanks Trump voters who claim to not be racist but had absolutely no issue voting for one.

Good lord. We need to make this known widespread. Report to media outlets you guys! It's the only way we can respond, make it known.

Unfortunately, this will most likely stay in the realm of social media. Better to show the 'circus act' running the streets around the country. It's harder to quantify that way.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't think being a trump supporter makes you a bigot, but it at least means you're cool with bigotry. Which isn't any better than being a bigot. Which makes you a bigot by association. So yes, trump supporters are bigots.
This is the conclusion everyone should've reached but we have people unironically stating that no supporting a bigot doesn't make you a bigot.

This is probably the only time I've been thankful to live in this fucking desert. I don't think I'd be able to take it if my little brother had to go through that. Fuck the Trump supporters. All of them. YOU did this. You associate yourself with people who do this. You continue to defend this! And for what?

And what is hilarious is that Dems also don't like the ACA right now and planned on altering it to something else but not just strip it bare.

I hope these Republicans, especially the low income whites, enjoy not having healthcare because of their pre-existing condition or because they hit their lifetime max due to seeking healthcare so often from working manual jobs that breaks their body down. And then they look at the candidate--their president--and ask for something better that protects them like the ACA attempted to do.

I'm old enough to remember the Purity-Pony Brigade standing shoulder to shoulder with the Tea Party screaming, "Kill The Bill"

Raw power makes change. Shivving your own team because you got 1/2 or 1/4 of a loaf is stupid.

That doesn't excuse 60mil, mostly White Americans from supporting a fascist. This is where we're at though

Gattsu25

Banned
There are posted incidents of blatant bigotry and attacks aimed at minorities, and Trump supporters in here are trying to downplay it while refusing to come to grips with the fact that this hatred is what their candidate ran on.

In-fucking-credible.

They know.

It's the fiscal issues is the new It's about ethics in videogame journalism. It's a cozy cover to hazily mask the true resentment that they've been wrestling with. It's why the Tea Party sprung up with the rise of the first black president with a message of "We need to take our country back". Back from who ?

Trump out teapartied the tea party by more directly discussing and supporting the racism latent within the republican base. When trump sent his voters to the polls, he sent his racists, his misogynists, his xenophobes.. and some of them, I assume, were good people...but most went to vote for him for the reason he demonstrated in his very first act as a presidential candidate: his ability to directly assault ethnic minorities.

Bloomers

Unfortunately, this will most likely stay in the realm of social media. Better to show the 'circus act' running the streets around the country. It's harder to quantify that way.

Print outs
Flyers
Posters
Newspaper space
Chalk writing
hell, QR codes

There's so much that can be done.

edit:
mail, t-shirts, bracelets, etc

Good lord. We need to make this known widespread. Report to media outlets you guys! It's the only way we can respond, make it known.

Nobody cares. It will get a few news stories for a couple of days but then it'll be back to business as usual.

Same shit happened after Brexit, people really don't want to know the truth about the society they live in.

I just feel sick. I've felt sick all day. I'm not American but I'm scared for my relatives and friends who are. I'm scared that like the U.K. and U.S., some party in Canada will put out a candidate in the future that is very much a white nationalist and embolden racists. And people will just not care enough to fight back against it.

I was listening to CBC radio earlier in the day and there was a guy on the radio telling people that people trying to act in solidarity with minorities is going too far and nothing bad will really happen. I imagine this is how a lot of people think despite the reality of what's really happening.

kswiston

This is fucking horrifying.

This is our new reality. Fuck all the people who voted for this racist piece of shit.

It's the same reality as before. I would have expected an increase in hate crimes if Trump lost as well to be honest.

What people need to do is speak up and not tolerate this in their communities. Recognize that only 25% of the voting age population voted for Trump. Of the people that actually bothered to vote, Wyoming and Oklahoma were the only States over 65% Trump. Only 7 out of 50 states were at least 60% Trump. There should be plenty of people in every state to fight back against this. Don't let victims suffer alone. Get involved in local politics if you can.

You guys have (most of) Canada's support.

Volimar

Mark my words, the next four years are going to see riots that make Baltimore look like a picnic. Minorities might be able to be pushed around when they're alone, but the communities aren't going to put up with it. I'll admit I have been kind of selfish fearing about my own future as a disabled person, but it's going to get so bad for all of us.

Speely

Banned
And THIS is America, ladies and gentlemen. An ugly cesspool of ignorance and intolerance. Sucks when the bubbles pop.

I am so fucking angry right now.

I'll tell you right now, having to have the "there are a lot of people who hate daddy because of who he is but there is still good in the world I promise please don't be jaded you're just a child" talk with your kid is probably a bottom five life moment for me.

When it was over I sat in my bedroom and wept.

hamchan

Anyone who voted for Trump is responsible. A vote for Trump knowing that he is a racist, homophobic, just all round bigoted, is showing you're ok with all of this.

Maebe

But of course calling out the people who voted this man in makes you just as bad, if not worse than the person who assaulted that guy with a beer bottle.

Lowmelody

"SJW" was the internet taking a relative handful of stupid fucking tumblr and twitter accounts along with often exaggerated or dishonest stories of college incidents, and promoting the probably brilliant propaganda narrative that they represented THE NEW PROGRESSIVE MOVEMENT, GONE MAD.

The Alt-Right has done an excellent job of getting people to equate the concept of understanding the fundamental humanity of other people with being a pansy-wansy "justice warrior" that just whines about made-up problems that aren't real.

This mindjob is in the process of making the leap to mainstream politics and real life, dovetailing flawlessly with the normalization of acting like an aggressive, foul-mouthed asshole, passing it off as being "real", "telling it like it is" and "defending the first amendment".

This is an insightful post and I agree completely. Was very obvious watching it unfold how naked and obvious the tactic of manufacturing of absurd strawmen and chariactures was being to used browbeat basic demands for decency.

hao chi

I was playing ranked standard with a friend on Rocket League last night, and the other team was a party of three, and one of them was named something like 'Vote4Pedro'. I got the first goal of the game, then the random on our team decided to start saying shit to Vote4Pedro, like he'll be deported and whatnot. We all reported him, but my friend posted in the text chat "5v1", and we threw the match to annoy the random on our team. I spent the rest of the match crashing into him, driving/flying around randomly, and hitting the ball towards our net. At the very least at the end of the match, Pedro said his faith in humanity was restored.

Fuck Trump and the people that voted for him.

I'm a straight white man in Georgia. I'm scared as shit, and I can't even imagine what you are going through if you are a minority - particularly if you don't have the ability to not be noticed. I'm not scared for me, I'm scared for you. I'm scared for my kids, particularly my daughters. I'm scared for my wife.

This is just the beginning. I will be thinking of you who will be facing these challenges daily. Don't travel alone. Don't make yourself easy targets. Run if you can. Fight if you can't. Shout for help. I can only hope there are enough people that will come to your aid as I would. I will be thinking of you, praying for those who welcome it, and be looking for ways both politically and not to take this country back from the fringe elements that seek to destroy it.

bionic77

I am too depressed to turn on the tv or follow the news but is any of this actually being reported?

I saw Jones address the feelings of minorities in reaction to Trump but is anyone else covering it?

Stay safe guys.

If you're in a place where you think you can, go fucking protest. It goes past not wanting a certain candidate. Express your discontent.

I would if I was in America. Sending love from Canada.

Dmented

Banned
I truly believe this is coming.

People get uncomfortable when the Black Panthers get brought up but the fear of Black Americans exercising their rights while also being intimidating was enough to ruffle some feathers.

When minorities get mad, people get scared. These assholes are pushing this farther than they can handle. Then they will be wimpy and scared when we start fighting back.

Yup. Trump supporters are already talking about "getting my guns ready" for the protesting (which they call rioting, btw) that's going on.

I'm white, and it's clear as fucking day that other whites have an irrational fear of the black man. Guess I'm lucky that I've lived most of my life around people of color and actually have a fucking heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom