• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seeming surge of hate crimes, assaults, intimidation in wake of Trump victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speely

Banned
The police chief is saying that the shootings seem unrelated to the protests, and are of a personal nature, guys. Read the article being linked.

Still horrible, though. Every damn day more heart-breaking stories.

Stasis

That's even sooner than I expected. Fuck.

And I'll believe the "not connected" when we find out all the details, because a "personal argument" where one dude shoots 5 at an anti-Trump rally really does sound like "I don't agree that you don't like Trump". That's connected.

The Kree

Banned
The police chief is saying that the shootings seem unrelated to the protests, and are of a personal nature, guys. Read the article being linked.

Still horrible, though. Every damn day more heart-breaking stories.

I read the article. I don't believe the police.

Laiza

I'm a quiet person. I try to avoid ordinary social contact wherever possible, much less anything resembling an altercation.

But this shit? This shit makes me FURIOUS. This shit makes me want to lash the fuck out. I can't stand the thought of people getting away with this kind of abhorrent behavior. I am very seriously in danger of breaking my pacifist streak if something happens in front of me one day.

I need to calm down. But this is not the kind of shit anyone should take lightly. Fuck me, I just... I just don't even know anymore, man. Where are we supposed to go from here? How do we fix this? I just can't see a path...

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Erm... no, not really at all. But I don't see a reason to lie about this here. That said, it may very well come to light that it was connected, I'll grant you.

There is absolutely motive for claiming that it's unrelated to the protest. Letting on otherwise would be a catalyst for civil unrest.

Laz-E-Boy

I see you Trump fans. I hear you loud and clear.

Some people thought the fighting and divisiveness was bad before???? These next 4 years are about to make the last 4 look like paradise.

Astral Dog

Horrible, so sad the effects if Trump feel so soon

As a Mexican, I feel genuinely fortunate that I've never been to the US and that won't change in the foreseeable future. What an insanely hateful country, holy crap.
At least you are not Gay Mexican 😩

Speely

Banned
There is absolutely motive for claiming that it's unrelated to the protest. Letting on otherwise would be a catalyst for civil unrest.

That's a good point I had not considered in my less-than-optimal frame of mind (since yesterday.)

Shit.

I live in Seattle and spend a lot of time downtown.

That area is overrun with Heroin addicts and gun violence isn't that uncommon. I'd wait for all the facts to come out before rushing to judgement.

I see you Trump fans. I hear you loud and clear.

Some people thought the fighting and divisiveness was bad before???? These next 4 years are about to make the last 4 look like paradise.
And the fucked up thing is how Republicans will frame it as race-baiting and protests as rioting.

n0razi

I need to calm down. But this is not the kind of shit anyone should take lightly. Fuck me, I just... I just don't even know anymore, man. Where are we supposed to go from here? How do we fix this? I just can't see a path...

Try to get more people to come out and vote 2020 I guess?

I'm a quiet person. I try to avoid ordinary social contact wherever possible, much less anything resembling an altercation.

But this shit? This shit makes me FURIOUS. This shit makes me want to lash the fuck out. I can't stand the thought of people getting away with this kind of abhorrent behavior. I am very seriously in danger of breaking my pacifist streak if something happens in front of me one day.

I was going to make a post very similar to yours, so I'll just quote you.

I'll pick up on the political threads tomorrow, this thread just set my gut burning with rage and I have no outlet, so I need to cut it off now.

Stasis

Why couldn't I at least been born Half-American & Half-Canadian?

Not to rub salt in the wound but I'm so fucking happy I was.

I texted my mom last night thanking her for being Canadian. I texted my dad thanking him for having married a Canadian woman. And I thanked them both for managing to have me before their marriage failed, which happened really quickly. Phew!

Not trying to make light of the matter. I'm still in shock, and I'm not even down there, nor will I be for the next 4 years+ at all likely. Lots of my family members and friends are, and many of them are minorities and/or LGQBT. I feel so so bad for them. I can only hope NYC is at least slightly more stable than the rest of the country, but who knows. There's already been shit at NYU of all places. Fuck. And a lot of my gay friends are in PA, Bucks County. It's close to Philly but it's got a large segment of trump supporters and anti-LGQBT sentiment. I'm just worried for them really. I want to bring everyone here.

Shit, man. Its only the 1st day and the guy isn't even the President yet

this is bringing the tears

Motherfucker needs to say right now this is not okay. Its going to continue pushing us apart.

Speely

Banned
Context: The area in question IS shaky, but gun violence on this level is not the norm there. There is a big addict and mentally-ill homeless presence there, and so crazy shit can and does happen, but gun violence on this level is certainly not business as usual.

Worried :(

Unicorn

2018 mid term elections are you here yet? Is it 2020 yet so this can all be in perfect hindsight?

It is insane that 12 hours later so much bigotry is bubbling openly. Depressing as fuck there is still so much underlying racism that is now seemingly being validated by Trump winning.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God, there's a Florida Latina (part of the group "Latinos for Trump") who just said that there's no evidence to point that Trump is racist talking in my local news right now.

Kill me please.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
And yet there are liberals in the protest thread saying stuff like "why are people protesting?"

NOW is NOT the time to be a peace and order loving liberal. Take your anger for the HATE you are seeing in this thread and DO something about it!

MARCH GAF MARCH MARCH MARCH

Kin5290

4 years. We need to survive 4 years.

In 2 years are the midterms, which put us at a severe disadvantage. But if Dems can carve out a foothold in state legislatures in 2018 we can lay the groundwork for better things in 2020.

To give some context, Trump won with a few hundred thousand voters in PA and WI each. That's how tight this was. I hope that disaffected abstaining Dems and third party voters are happy with themselves.

In the Bay Area, a very diverse area.

14925757_1476547355694929_2555243799741469880_n.jpg

Not to rub salt in the wound but I'm so fucking happy I was.

I texted my mom last night thanking her for being Canadian. I texted my dad thanking him for having married a Canadian woman. And I thanked them both for managing to have me before their marriage failed, which happened really quickly. Phew!

Not trying to make light of the matter. I'm still in shock, and I'm not even down there, nor will I be for the next 4 years+ at all likely. Lots of my family members and friends are, and many of them are minorities and/or LGQBT. I feel so so bad for them. I can only hope NYC is at least slightly more stable than the rest of the country, but who knows. There's already been shit at NYU of all places. Fuck. And a lot of my gay friends are in PA, Bucks County. It's close to Philly but it's got a large segment of trump supporters and anti-LGQBT sentiment. I'm just worried for them really. I want to bring everyone here.

I wish I was like you.

I swear, me being an African-American is certainly a curse.

Speely

Banned
4 years. We need to survive 4 years.

In 2 years are the midterms, which put us at a severe disadvantage. But if Dems can carve out a foothold in state legislatures in 2018 we can lay the groundwork for better things in 2020.

To give some context, Trump won with a few hundred thousand voters in PA and WI each. That's how tight this was. I hope that disaffected abstaining Dems and third party voters are happy with themselves.

In four years, a GOP-dominated Senate and House under Trump could do a lot to hurt us and the world for longer than that... though not THAT long since he thinks climate change is a hoax. Plus, the Supreme Court Justice he appoints is for life.

Hate to be a downer, and I will def be active, but this looks real grim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom