• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn games in 4K resolution.

gelf

I do hope Yabause could eventually improve its compatibility and overtake SSF as the go to Saturn emulator. I like that it actually allows choice of rendering modes like this even if not everyone prefers it that way. Being open source is a plus also.

ghibli99

We've come such a long way since that first generation of 3D consoles. Neat to see them in that resolution, but I think it underscores the technical deficiencies of the time a bit too much. The non-human 3D stuff survives the best through the transition to 4K.

epmode

That's fine for games that display at 640x480 but still doesn't do you a lot of good for any other resolution like 352x224.
I don't think it matters. Saturn games were designed to run at 4:3 regardless of their internal resolution.

Those old Lucasarts adventure games did the same thing. They were rendered at 320x200, a 16:10 ratio, but intended for 4:3 displays. The pixels would stretch vertically by design.

RyudBoy

How are some of you guys getting Panzer Dragoon Zwei to work? After the CGI, it totally crashes on me, even at default resolution.

Only game I've been able to get working is Virtual Fighter 2 (no audio, though).

cireza

I'm shocked by VF2. Was it really that bad? Or did it just look better in motion and/or on a CRT? It was stunning at the time...
Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn runs at 640x480@60FPS. No wonder it looked way better than anything else at the time. One of the most amazing arcade ports period.

Timu

People always complain about this but I'll never understand why. I'd rather have my game fill the screen than have any black bars.

My RetroArch is set to always be 16:9 with Easymode CRT across the board. Looks incredible.
They look stretched out as they weren't designed for widescreen and thus don't even look proper to their native aspect ratio. Plus black bars never bother me at all as the games are meant to be displayed in that when on something that isn't a CRT.

cireza

It's pretty fascinating that VF2 and FM have high-res character models and a low-res arena.
Fighters Megamix runs only at 320x240. It uses the Fighting Vipers engine. Character models are much better in Virtua Fighter 2.

RyudBoy

It's pretty fascinating that VF2 and FM have high-res character models and a low-res arena.

FM didn't have high res models, only VF2 did. FM did have 3D elements in the background (cage) and also feature gouraud shading (light sourcing), both missing from VF2.

rjc571

Banned
LOL at stretching Saturn games to widescreen. It's like you were thinking "these look pretty bad already, but how can I make them even worse?"

Aside from that, I didn't actually realize that any Saturn emulators had the option to increase the rendering resolution, so at least this thread is informative if nothing else.

Timu

Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn runs at 640x480@60FPS. No wonder it looked way better than anything else at the time. One of the most amazing arcade ports period.
VF2 ran at 704x480 but outputs at 480i (720x480i).

Fighters Megamix runs only at 320x240. It uses the Fighting Vipers engine. Character models are much better in Virtua Fighter 2.
Not in my case as I just played the game recently, it's 480i during gameplay, only the menus and certain scenes were in 240p. It's also funny you mention Fighting Vipers as that's yet another 480i game during gameplay.

I got pics and a video for proof.

Sapiens

These are astounding - I always like when emulation makes it easier to see the textures and how, even in shitty 3D hardware like the Saturn, the original resolution obscures so much detail.

I get a little sad when devs start working on emulators for modern systems (PS3, 3DS, etc.) while the emulation of older systems like the Saturn and N64 leave much to be desired.

Tain

FM didn't have high res models, only VF2 did. FM did have 3D elements in the background (cage) and also feature gouraud shading (light sourcing), both missing from VF2.

I know, I meant in emulation. That, because the arenas are rendered with different parts of the Saturn hardware than the fighters, Yabause doesn't render them at higher resolutions.

It's the same case on the actual hardware with VF2: arena floors are clearly rendered at a lower resolution than the fighters iirc

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Why panzer dragon II Zwei?

Zwei = 2

For germans this sounds really dumb. Panzer Dragon 2 Two. Wtf.

it's meant to be read as just 'panzer dragoon zwei.' having 'zwei' in the logo is treated as a reading aid like furigana so you know how the 2 is supposed to be pronounced.

unfortunately that kind of thing doesn't really work outside of japan so the rest of the world interpreted the name in a really silly way.

I always wondered why Sega doesn't release a genesis/saturn/dreamcast/etc little 100 dollar console like they do with those outsourced genesis consoles you see for like 30 bucks. Even if it most just emulation it'd still be down.

cireza

VF2 ran at 704x480 but outputs at 480i (720x480i).

Not in my case as I just played the game recently, it's 480i during gameplay, only the menus and certain scenes were in 240p. It's also funny you mention Fighting Vipers as that's yet another 480i game during gameplay.

I got pics and a video for proof.
In any case, Virtua Fighter 2 on a CRT looks high resolution, and Fighters Megamix looks low res. And character models are a lot less detailed in Fighters Megamix. You can have 480i or 480p, if your models are low (internal) res, you will never feel that it is 480i/p because you are not using the full measure of the resolution.

Fighters Megamix uses the Fighting Vipers engine, no wonder you see the same resolution.

gelf

I always wondered why Sega doesn't release a genesis/saturn/dreamcast/etc little 100 dollar console like they do with those outsourced genesis consoles you see for like 30 bucks. Even if it most just emulation it'd still be down.

Because Genesis emulation is cheap and easy on any basic hardware now. The other two not so much.

People always complain about this but I'll never understand why. I'd rather have my game fill the screen than have any black bars.

Because of this:

1318cb391bc81e34f43e8d73105051d5.jpg

Timu

In any case, Virtua Fighter 2 on a CRT looks high resolution, and Fighters Megamix looks low res. And character models are a lot less detailed in Fighters Megamix. You can have 480i or 480p, if your models are low (internal) res, you will never feel that it is 480i/p because you are not using the full measure of the resolution.

Fighters Megamix uses the Fighting Vipers engine, no wonder you see the same resolution.
All I'm saying is that it outputs at 480i, here's what my capture card detected.

bandicam_2015_12_18_17_26_05_099.png

I, for one, think the Saturn games shown upscale really nicely! They look better than a lot of PS1 games do when upscaled, IMO.
I'm using Yabause 0.9.14 with the built-in, but optional Open GL graphics plugin at a resolution of 4096 x 2160
Thank you! I'm going to have to give this one a look.

cireza

All I'm saying is that it outputs at 480i, here's what my capture card detected.
Don't worry, I believe you.

Simply put, I only play on the original hardware, and by looking at those games run on a CRT, Fighters Megamix felt like it was only 240p when compared to VF2. That's why I made a false assumption.

Timu

Don't worry, I believe you.

Simply put, I only play on the original hardware, and by looking at those games run on a CRT, Fighters Megamix felt like it was only 240p when compared to VF2. That's why I made a false assumption.
Ok, fair enough. I do play on the original hardware as well, definitely when it comes to Sega Saturn.

Awesome thread OP, they look incredible at higher resolution.

If anyone has Duke Nukem 3d could they please post how that fares?

Here you are:

But I should point out that the game is incredibly buggy under OpenGL. Most of the polygon environments will just vanish 70% of the time during game play. I was lucky enough to get at least one good screenshot.

Default internal rendering:
4J1AxyN.png

OpenGL high resolution:
5CtunyC.png

Buggy environments:
SE2poEk.png

I also tried PowerSlave, and sadly the game just doesn't work at all under OpenGL. Compatibility is really hit and miss on Yabause.

This is the case for so many of Sega's 3D fighters that came out after Virtua Fighter 1. The arena's in Virtua Fighter 1 were actually constructed out of polygons, if you look at the earlier screenshots I've posted they are at the same resolution as the character models. But from Virtua Fighter Remix onwards, the arenas were constructed out of the Saturns Mode 7-like playing fields. Which I guess are constructed out of sprite based tiles that are being manipulated in 3D. They aren't polygon so they do not scale up in resolution with the character models. They remain at the same resolution as the background layers and the text and fonts.

Here's a few screenshots of Virtua Fighter Remix:

laR8VdJ.png

ERwHGlC.png

sCydFcQ.png

The areas here are higher resolution than in Virtua Fighter 2. But VF Remix does only run at 30FPS. This game is also very broken under OpenGL in Yabause. Yabause is running the game at 60FPS, but the game is timed at 30, so things like the timer, AI and game physics become really messed up.

Arulan

My RetroArch is set to always be 16:9 with Easymode CRT across the board. Looks incredible.

If you're distorting the intended aspect ratio, you're destroying the image. I understand not wanting black bars, but not at that expense.

I created a thread about MS-DOS games and aspect ratio a while back.

Incorrect
640x400dho0r.png

Correct
1600x120020q8m.png

Al4UJ4V.jpg

What does Bulk Slash look like?

Here you go....

Default internal resolution:
JaO6515.png

OpenGL:
lV6KcGU.png

Default:
VfoCqMt.png
\
OpenGL:
E7I3R2I.png

The only things that are getting a resolution bump are the polygon objects. The rest of the 2D sprites and the ground tiles remain unchanged.

Also, here's a few more comparisons...

Nights:
Ph6YMU5.png

OpenGL:
6Z4rKTE.png

Cyber Speedyway. I couldn't get Wipeout to work at all, so you'll all get this instead:
ze7XVE4.png

OpenGL:
gsXL05h.png

mXweCy1.png

I never heard of Bulk Slash so I looked up a video. Wtf I wish I knew about it back in the day cause I would've bought the import in a heart beat!!!!!

I was all about buying Japanese games for that console too but never heard about this one. Looks like a kick ass mech game!!! It's like Zone of the Enders for the Saturn lol

Xbudz

Mmmm, precious blocky polygons.
Here's some more! (added to OP and will resize originals soon)

yR6DtSH.jpg

Jl6LD77.jpg

Thunderforce V

QoV4zz2.png

vCfX120.png

Virtua Racing

Yabausev0.9.142016-01-096_20_50PM.png

WYfI6HQ.jpg

Sonic Jam

W3mKWlw.jpg

vM2cVB7.jpg

Christmas Nights

BRsMoPo.jpg

AAC19fY.jpg

Wipeout 2097

JNX6sl5.jpg

xyqF6RV.jpg

Virtua Fighter Remix

U0jtW8a.jpg

aTAVe4m.jpg

Solar Eclipse

yqrgpOI.png

xVvHZyr.png

Tempest 2000

fMk8sJ2.jpg

SYtFX8d.jpg

aeTe978.png

Sega Saturn boot-up and screensaver.

daninthemix

...I think I'll take the original resolutions on a CRT. Sometimes 3D games look better when you crank the resolution up, but those early era games...woof. The lack of fidelity on the original hardware actually helps the presentation, because your mind sort of makes up for the gaps.

Yeah I agree. The low-res CRT just looked 'right' with these rough early games. N64 games when upscaled look better, and some of PS1 can be okay.

Xbudz

How did you get the Sonic World in Sonic Jam to work?

Nice screenshots, BTW, and these are actually 4K.

Thanks man! I'm loving the pictures you posted. I really appreciate that you took time to post them here!

I'm not sure why I didn't have the missing floor in Sonic Jam.. That's strange eh.

I also couldn't get the first Wipeout to boot, but 2097 is awesome, not a bad port is the PS1 version.

Graphics are generally pretty glitchy when you increase the internal resolution but overall I'm having fun playing with these settings!

Thanks man! I'm loving the pictures you posted. I really appreciate that you took time to post them here!

I'm not sure why I didn't have the missing floor in Sonic Jam.. That's strange eh.

What emulator and videocard are you using?

I'm using Yabause 0.9.14 64bit windows binaries, which seems to be a pretty old release. But I can only assume it is the most current one even though it was released in 2014. I'm not seeing anything newer on the official webpage.

Tempest 2K looks great at 4K. So simple, yet so smooth.

I never heard of Bulk Slash so I looked up a video. Wtf I wish I knew about it back in the day cause I would've bought the import in a heart beat!!!!!

I was all about buying Japanese games for that console too but never heard about this one. Looks like a kick ass mech game!!! It's like Zone of the Enders for the Saturn lol

It's a pretty cool exclusive for the Saturn. Plays pretty well too.

Ashura

Neo Member
How the heck did you get Burning Rangers to run under OpenGL without being seizure inducingly flickery? Or did you just take a screenshot on the exact second it wasn't flickering? Hahaha.

What emulator and videocard are you using?

Never mind, I just solved my own question. There is a version of Yabause floating around from 2015/10/15. Not sure if this is a fork or what? But it does address some issues with the 2014 build. Compatibility is still very flaky though.

Virtua Cop from the October 2015 build:

XHD6nw7.png

MNlJPF5.png

A lot of rendering bugs from the previous screenshots I posted have been fixed. Though oddly the models for the tires on the cars are not rendering, They are just diamonds now due to the square black textures for the wheels. The shadows are also absent too, as well as the polygons inside the wheel wells.

Screenshot from Croc:
u8ohGt0.png

This one doesn't look too bad in HD.

Sonic R:
5YKX3iq.png

aukQqgT.png

The stages in Sonic R are incredibly broken though. This is both with and without OpenGL rendering. They cause Yabause to crash after a couple minutes.

Those Panzer Dragoon shots are marvelous. That series has one of the best art styles in gaming, hands down. Definitely in the Top 5 for me in that aspect.
ratio.

Top Bottom