• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn games in 4K resolution.

Here you are:

But I should point out that the game is incredibly buggy under OpenGL. Most of the polygon environments will just vanish 70% of the time during game play. I was lucky enough to get at least one good screenshot.

Default internal rendering:
4J1AxyN.png

OpenGL high resolution:
5CtunyC.png

Buggy environments:
SE2poEk.png

I also tried PowerSlave, and sadly the game just doesn't work at all under OpenGL. Compatibility is really hit and miss on Yabause.

Those shots look great, thanks for taking the time to make/post them :D

I hope the rendering issues are sorted out eventually as this could totally be the best way to experience the Saturn version in the future.

Either way, it's really cool to see how much detail is hidden in the textures behind the standard resolution, thanks again for posting these.

Xbudz

What emulator and videocard are you using?

I'm using Yabause 0.9.14 64bit windows binaries, which seems to be a pretty old release. But I can only assume it is the most current one even though it was released in 2014. I'm not seeing anything newer on the official webpage.

Tempest 2K looks great at 4K. So simple, yet so smooth.

It's a pretty cool exclusive for the Saturn. Plays pretty well too.

I've spent many hours with Tempest 2000, very addictive!

I'm using 64bit Yabause 0.9.14 as well in Windows 10. Not sure which month this build is from. Where did you find one from Oct 2015? I'd love to test that one out.

My PC has an i7 4790, 16gb ram and a GTX 970.
Hooked up to a 50" 4k Vizio TV.

fahr

Oh my god I need to try out that new build from October! PLEASE post a link, my Google searches are coming up empty.

Thanks!

Those shots look great, thanks for taking the time to make/post them :D

I hope the rendering issues are sorted out eventually as this could totally be the best way to experience the Saturn version in the future.

Either way, it's really cool to see how much detail is hidden in the textures behind the standard resolution, thanks again for posting these.

Yeah, this makes me wish that more games supported expanded memory. It would've been cool to have this kind of detailed textures on real hardware.

I always wondered why Sega doesn't release a genesis/saturn/dreamcast/etc little 100 dollar console like they do with those outsourced genesis consoles you see for like 30 bucks. Even if it most just emulation it'd still be down.
I know it'd be difficult but I would buy the hell out of this, especially with how expensive secondhand Saturn stuff has gotten. I recall reading Majesco was planning on releasing a second-run version of the Saturn with reprints of select games like they did for the Genesis and Game Gear, but I'm guessing they didn't see it as a worthwhile venture since the original Saturn sold so poorly.

The logic I guess was that you could still display triangles with quadrilaterals if you defined the quadrilateral in a way that it looks like a triangle but you had the advantage of being able to define quadrilaterals as one polygon instead of two. In a limited polygon budget this seems like a good idea but it makes it bad for programmers and tools which expect triangles.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
The logic I guess was that you could still display triangles with quadrilaterals if you defined the quadrilateral in a way that it looks like a triangle but you had the advantage of being able to define quadrilaterals as one polygon instead of two. In a limited polygon budget this seems like a good idea but it makes it bad for programmers and tools which expect triangles.

When fifth gen console initially launched, there was no set standard for how polygons should be rendered. PS1's overwhelming success made the choice easy.

I think the move to triangles was inevitable anyway. It wasn't just the PS1, the N64 and many early 3D graphics cards used triangles as well. There was other hardware, like the 3DO and NV1 (which itself was based on the Saturn) which used quads but at the end of the day it makes sense that when time went on an polygon budget wasn't as much of a concern triangles make more sense.

When making multi-platform titles there would need to be big changes to engines for the Saturn version which I think is a huge contributor for the lack of respect it gets.

Shaneus

How does DoA compare to VF2? I don't remember what framerate it runs at, but from memory it also ran on the same arcade hardware as VF2 so it should have ported pretty well to the Saturn.

Also, Decathelete <3

Xbudz

How does DoA compare to VF2? I don't remember what framerate it runs at, but from memory it also ran on the same arcade hardware as VF2 so it should have ported pretty well to the Saturn.

Also, Decathelete <3

Here's Dead or Alive!
Sadly, I can't manage to get Decathlete to work properly.

eUlMDAh.jpg

sLHAYh0.jpg

Dead or Alive.

Bonus Edit!
someone do Batman Forever: The Arcade Game

xwBns1F.jpg

mnqsTgy.jpg

Batman Forever: The Arcade Game

Seems like the lightning gets upscaled. lol.

Xbudz

What are the essential, must-play Saturn games?

Panzer Dragoon series.
Guardian Heroes
Virtua Fighter 2
Fighters Megamix
Sega Rally
Shining Force III
Daytona USA CCE
NiGHTS
Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter
House of the Dead (needs CRT and light gun)
Virtua Cop (needs CRT and light gun)

What are the essential, must-play Saturn games?

Here's a list of titles from various genres I'd recommend off the top of my head that you may not have played due to missing the best console from that generation.

Arcade Style Games:
Daytona USA
Die Hard Arcade
Guardian Heroes
NiGHTS
Virtua Cop 2

Action Platformer:
Clockwork Knight 1/2
Astal

Fighters:
Almost all fighting titles are best on the Saturn that generation

Rail Shooter:
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon Zwei

RPG:
Shining Force 3
Shining the Holy Ark
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Shmup:
Radiant Silvergun
Darius Gaiden

Other:
Capcom Generation 2 (arcade perfect versions of Ghouls and Ghosts)

Shining the holy ark is the most immersive RPG I ever played, can't recommend it enough. I'd be scared to run it on an emulator though :/ it doesn't have any connection to the other shining games btw so it's fine for a one off play

MikeMyers

Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter

Good game but I'd also look into X-Men Vs. Street Fighter as well. I liked the roster in that one better.

Saturn also has the best version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 but it's kind of on the expensive side.

Shining the holy ark is the most immersive RPG I ever played, can't recommend it enough. I'd be scared to run it on an emulator though :/ it doesn't have any connection to the other shining games btw so it's fine for a one off play

Shining the Holy Ark is essentially a prequel to Shining Force 3. If you read between the lines, you'll learn that Julian's father met an unfortunate in the mansion.

Timu

Good game but I'd also look into X-Men Vs. Street Fighter as well. I liked the roster in that one better.

Saturn also has the best version of Street Fighter Alpha 3 but it's kind of on the expensive side.
It's over 300 bucks...yeah, more like expensive as hell!!!=p

Man God

Non-Canon Member

The PS1 version of SFA3 is more than acceptable.

MikeMyers

Yeah, I actually have the PS1, DC, and GBA versions of Alpha 3 (dont own a PSP). Through I never liked using the DC controller for fighters.

Nuu

Banned
Is Saturn emulation viable in this day in age? Like are games actually playable and provide a reasonable experience the same way that say Dolphin and ePSX does?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, I actually have the PS1, DC, and GBA versions of Alpha 3 (dont own a PSP). Through I never liked using the DC controller for fighters.

It's the only PS1 Capcom 2D fighter worth playing. If the rest were ported as well as Alpha 3 then the PS1 would be more fondly remembered for 2D fighters!

I love the GBA and PSP versions a lot.

Shining the Holy Ark is essentially a prequel to Shining Force 3. If you read between the lines, you'll learn that Julian's father met an unfortunate in the mansion.
Huh I never played sf3 bc I don't like strategy battles and the eng version is incomplete anyway I think :/

MikeMyers

Yeah, if the rest of them got Alpha 3-like ports it would have been better. Through I'm not sure if it was even possible to get a decent port of the Vs. games on there. Even the Saturn couldn't really pull them off without help from the RAM Cart.

Saturn Memories

Neo Member
Is Saturn emulation viable in this day in age? Like are games actually playable and provide a reasonable experience the same way that say Dolphin and ePSX does?

Yes, but not in the emulator that the OP is taking screen captures from. Use SSF instead.

Huh I never played sf3 bc I don't like strategy battles and the eng version is incomplete anyway I think :/

The fan translation is essentially complete at this point. There's probably little issues here and there. All that they have left as far as I can tell is editing.

Top Bottom