• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA uploading multiple tunes from Sonic Mania to YouTube

Falk

that puzzling face
If you've listened to Sonic Before/After the sequel's soundtrack, you can hear falk's influence on the song.

God this game is going to be so great

Heya, just to clarify, While Mania was in development, Tee and I talked about a *lot* of things behind the scenes - genres, instrumentation, music theory, the different precedents of Sonic music past and present etc., but all final composition and arrangement decisions for Sonic Mania are solely his. I can't lay credit to any of the genius present. I just make it sound good.

Just so that's clear and it's not being mis-attributed. :)

wasn't it released a while back already ? :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWzIAxy4PLI

except action start at the beginning, i don't ear any difference

I believe that's from the USB sticks they handed out during the 25th Anniversary event last year. Things have changed more than a little.

Tee did upload the same final version track a couple of weeks back though, but the main takeaway here from the Sonic channel is the promise of more stuff in near future.

But how do we pronounce Studiopolis, though? Is it studiOpolis or studiopOlis?

https://twitter.com/TomFryPWG/status/875762222651322372

RagnarokX

But how do we pronounce Studiopolis, though? Is it studiOpolis or studiopOlis?
The problem with Hydrocity is that it's likely supposed to evoke velocity as well since they didn't call it Hydropolis, Water City, or Hydro City. Congrats to the Mania team not calling this Studiocity Zone.

The problem with Sonic 4 music is mainly the instruments used. If they were done in this style they would have been much better.

I dunno, no amount of better instrumentation would save Robotnik the Clown or speed up boss theme; and Senoue composed that awful track back during the classic era. Sonic 4's music is too repetitive yet doesn't have melodies that stick in your head. The tunes in Mania instantly catch.

The problem with Hydrocity is that it's likely supposed to evoke velocity as well since they didn't call it Hydropolis, Water City, or Hydro City. Congrats to the Mania team not calling this Studiocity Zone.

I dunno, no amount of better instrumentation would save Robotnik the Clown or speed up boss theme. And Senoue composed that awful track back during the classic era. Sonic 4's music is too repetitive yet doesn't have melodies that stick in your head. The tunes in Mania instantly catch.

Speaking of Hydropolis, here is one of my favorite faux sonic songs
Hydropolis Act 1
Hydropolis Act 2

Maybe it's me but it sounds a little better then the first release of this tune, they added more bass and some extra things in the middle.

RagnarokX

Of all the problems Sonic games have had over the past 20 years, bad music wasn't one of them.

To be fair, they didn't say Sonic music has been bad the past 20 years, just that this is at a higher level.

While Sonic games have genuinely had great music I've definitely missed the sound the classic games had and I've never really felt like the games over the past years have really captured that; even Sonic Adventure 1 with all of its Saturn remixes (but I was never a fan of those tracks in their original games). More recent games have been getting closer with more instrumental tracks and less rock.

Lum1n3s

"Lights, Camera, Action" from Studiopolis Act I: YouTube link. A little over 3 mins, and sounds like there's more to come:

kH7HNFO.gif

Beautiful

Most accurate gif this week

Noice, Sonic Mania (hopefully) is the chosen one to break the Sonic Cycle.

Please

What a shame it is that it took 23 years for us to get another Sonic game with a soundtrack of this caliber. Better decades late than never again, of course!

Sonic Unleashed, Colors, Generations, even Lost World they all have amazing OST. Probably not the "classic" feel but they are amazing on its own right

Mixed by Falk 😊

h4qJERR.gif

This is the way I feel about Mania

Sorry Hoobastank

I lol'd. I like fist bump though

Ducktail

Tank Jr.

Neo Member
So is this.

The difference between this and the Sonic CD JP OST is that the latter is making me cringe.

The USA isn't? lmao

Let me put it this way:

Sonic CD has a time travel mechanic, right? So let's say you're not doing your part in not changing the future for the better and you reach the end of the game. It's a bad future in Robotnik's fortress and everything's gone to shit (for a Sonic game): it's bleak and everything is in disarray.

So in the case, when you're going through what is basically a dystopia, you need something to fit the setting and atmosphere, right?

But if you're in Europe or Japan, you get a 90's dance party to go with your apocalypse.

Teknoman

To be fair, they didn't say Sonic music has been bad the past 20 years, just that this is at a higher level.

While Sonic games have genuinely had great music I've definitely missed the sound the classic games had and I've never really felt like the games over the past years have really captured that; even Sonic Adventure 1 with all of its Saturn remixes (but I was never a fan of those tracks in their original games). More recent games have been getting closer with more instrumental tracks and less rock.

What were the saturn remixes?

Piers

On the contrary. The JP soundtrack was campy as hell.

That's partly why I'm personally not so keen on the CD influence here because it feels too campy, given it's not the 90's anymore.
I do like some of the tracks, though, such as Mirage Saloon.

Am I the only one who doesn't like this at all? Doesn't sound like Sonic to me. I adore Sonic 1-3 soundtracks, and this game seemed like it was going the old school route, but the music sounds like some generic anime dating game soundtrack. I don't want to sound like an ass, but this is my honest opinion :(

Someone in this thread mentioned that it sounds like Sonic CD, and I can agree. I also hated that game and its soundtrack (both the US and the JP soundtracks...).

So maybe this game/soundtrack is just not for me then?

I really don't see how I'm not buying this on a few systems just so that I can play it wherever I want. Good lord this sounds fantastic.

Malajax

Am I the only one who doesn't like this at all? Doesn't sound like Sonic to me. I adore Sonic 1-3 soundtracks, and this game seemed like it was going the old school route, but the music sounds like some generic anime dating game soundtrack. I don't want to sound like an ass, but this is my honest opinion :(

Someone in this thread mentioned that it sounds like Sonic CD, and I can agree. I also hated that game and its soundtrack (both the US and the JP soundtracks...).

So maybe this game/soundtrack is just not for me then?
While there are some new tracks some classic remixes are going to be present so you might like those. On the whole though, Mania is treating itself as though it would have released in the Sega Saturn era. CD quality music was hot back then for consoles, so it's drawing some influence from Sonic CD. I'd expect it to be more modern.

Teknoman

It hits that "what if Sonic 4 hit the Saturn" vibe perfectly.

Actually puts me in the mind of Guardian Heroes and Magic Knight Rayearth for some reason.

Ferr986

hmmm, now that I'm hearing it, it seems like it has a slightly different arrangement compared to the old rip, more richer in sounds.
It sounds way better if you ask me.

Maybe it's me but it sounds a little better then the first release of this tune, they added more bass and some extra things in the middle.

for sure, they added extra piano starting at 9 secs, also at 0:40 a 16-bit sounding motiff, for example.

FinKL

Music definitely reminds me of childhood Sonic, so that's great!

Question though, I was looking through Best Buy for a physical pre order of the game, but could only find the Collector's Edition. Is there a reason why they're not coming out with a physical edition? Even the Collector's Edition is a digital code...

A Sonic game might be my GOTY the same year Persona 5 released. The hell is going on?

I'm going on blackout, but I'm really looking forward to hearing Studiopolis Act 2 and Mirage Saloon Act 1 when the game releases.

sonto340

The difference between this and the Sonic CD JP OST is that the latter is making me cringe.

Let me put it this way:

Sonic CD has a time travel mechanic, right? So let's say you're not doing your part in not changing the future for the better and you reach the end of the game. It's a bad future in Robotnik's fortress and everything's gone to shit (for a Sonic game): it's bleak and everything is in disarray.

So in the case, when you're going through what is basically a dystopia, you need something to fit the setting and atmosphere, right?

But if you're in Europe or Japan, you get a 90's dance party to go with your apocalypse.
The Japanese version is fantastic. It's weird and it's subtly creepy. The lyrics are a fantastic touch and add an entirely new layer to the track.
Sonic is a video game about a blue hedgehog saving animals (or flowers) from robots. It doesn't need to sound apocalyptic and grim. I think the Japanese soundtrack in CD is dead on tonally

Top Bottom