• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA uploading multiple tunes from Sonic Mania to YouTube

It feels like somebody just pulled the corpse of '90s Sega from it's grave, summoned it back to life, and now it's dancing like Michael Jackson in Thriller.

Teknoman

source.gif

Because Mania is aimed at the nostalgia crowd whereas Forces is aimed at the younger market crowd.

Eh, theres alot of younger people that like the classic style. And im sure that music will hit em just as hard. I need that LP.

Falk

that puzzling face
Gonna merge all the threads to this one because uhhhhh we don't want like a billion threads cluttering up GAF yeah

I think it's silly that we've gotten to the point where SEGA don't know how to please "old" and "new" fans simultaneously. We're in a very, VERY nostalgic generation now. Every movie is a sequel or remake, and successful modern games have been taking more inspiration from the past than ever before these days. Making a game with the style and flair of Mania but with modern production values can't be that hard, can it?

I imagine the big issue for SEGA and Sonic Team is making something that consumers can justify spending $40-60 on. Sonic games, when done right, typically shouldn't take more than a few hours to beat aside from extra content. Even games that were successful and fun, such as Colors and Generations, were padded out with mini-games and reused level design.

I'm hoping that Mania proves successful and the series will see more short, replayable, low budget entries.

manakel

I'm not joking, this soundtrack is shaping up to be one of the best video game soundtracks of all time - I'm talking Yuzo Koshiro Streets of Rage 2 levels of good. It's honestly making me want to buy a turntable so I can preorder the Vinyl ASAP.

clav

Is just me or track sounds like someone saying, "Can't stop this shit!"?

did i miss things getting heavy :(

Cool to see you here and your name showing up on the video details.

I think the only fault I find in the music arrangement is more playing with the Left and Right channels. Electric keyboard on this track kinda hums between left and right, but there are some like repeating echoes or percussive tracks or the ba ba ba ba baba bala tune could have played on alternating channels.

I remember playing 2D Sonic was very different with headphones compared to hearing the game blast out of the TV as the tracks seemed to play more into messing with the left and right channels. Either my nostalgia is clouding my judgment or the rings that played left channel and right channel led me to believe there was something going on more with the music.

Will this be the nail in the coffin for Sonic Team? If the level in quality is this big between Pagoda and ST, Sega should just give over the licence.

Which would be mindblowing.

(Let Pagoda do a 3d game next!)

Will this be the nail in the coffin for Sonic Team? If the level in quality is this big between Pagoda and ST, Sega should just give over the licence.

Which would be mindblowing.

(Let Pagoda do a 3d game next!)

Sonic franchise in 2017 needs a big 3D title. Sonic Mania Team can't handle a big flagship project so Sonic Team is not going anywhere.

I can see big Mania influences in art and tone in the next "main" Sonic title though.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm starting to feel like this is way more of a "Sonic CD 2" than we've been lead to believe.
The soundtrack and animation is super CD influenced, and there's a couple marketing lines that jump out at me, most prominently: "The ultimate celebration of past and future."

I'm betting that, at the very least, Stardust Speedway will have a return of CD's time travel mechanic.
The small bits of Speedway we've seen in promotional materials seem to use the "Past" tileset/artwork/etc..

I'm not joking, this soundtrack is shaping up to be one of the best video game soundtracks of all time - I'm talking Yuzo Koshiro Streets of Rage 2 levels of good. It's honestly making me want to buy a turntable so I can preorder the Vinyl ASAP.

Alex, I'll take hyperbole for $400.

I would like to hear more first before making any claims.

manakel

Alex, I'll take hyperbole for $400.

I would like to hear more first before making any claims.
Hence why I said "is shaping up to be." It's completely possible that they're just releasing the best songs, but after hearing this new one, Studiopolis, Mirage Saloon, Green Hill Act 2 and Chemical Plant Act 2, they all have been fantastic. Tee Lopes doesn't disappoint.

I don't know if this has already been posted but this is a 16 bit remix of Mirage Saloon, made by the composer Tee Lopes himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z-JhQmoFWQ

He's been hinting in the comments that a 16 bit sound mode for Sonic Mania might be possible.

edit: composer, not composter.

It would be neat if they later remixed their sound track using different game musicians from around the web and gave it out as optional DLC audio mode. Maybe even let a certain JSRF composer take a crack at remixing a favorite.

I used to beat Sonic 2 to different CD music as a kid. Lol

Blam

It would be neat if they later remixed their sound track using different game musicians from around the web and gave it out as optional DLC audio mode. Maybe even let a certain JSRF composer take a crack at remixing a favorite.

I used to beat Sonic 2 to different CD music as a kid. Lol

Someone mentioned this in the comments on that video. But a Genesis audio mode would be an awesome dlc.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I love how Stardust Speedway is a fucking jungle now. Brilliant choice and the Zone looks even better.

Ferr986

I love how Stardust Speedway is a fucking jungle now. Brilliant choice and the Zone looks even better.

Stardust Speedway Past was already a jungle in CD.

eaUaSc3.png

What we saw in Mania is basically the same as SS Past, but we didn't saw Act 2 yet.

Can't listen to the track now :(

Top Bottom