• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA uploading multiple tunes from Sonic Mania to YouTube

Sonic CD JP/EU OST >>> US

It's Sonic, I need a upbeat soundtrack. The US boss music scares me to death while the JP/EU one makes me hit all my 90s dance moves

am5Pjkz.gif

clav

Guess everyone is talking about Sonic CD music now.

Sonic CD JP/EU OST >>> US

It's Sonic, I need a upbeat soundtrack. The US boss music scares me to death while the JP/EU one makes me hit all my 90s dance moves

Mostly agree. Sonic CD's USA Stardust Speedway Bad Future is everyone's favorite track.

I still can't unhear Super Mario invincibility music in the JP/EU Palmtree Panic Bad Future track about a minute into it. Always makes me smirk a little.

Could anyone explain to me why we can't get this in 3D instead of Sonic Forces with edgy grimdark visual design, tacked on OCs and a thousand friends who can't shut up?

Neoxon

There's a bit of a JSR vibe in there. I love it.
The one who runs the Sonic YouTube page even mentions that.
Whoever runs the Sonic YouTube page said:
As promised - here's our first new track, which plays during encounters with the Hard-Boiled Heavies! We're also 99% sure this could pass for a long-lost Jet Set Radio song. (We love it.)

Mr-Joker

Banned
source.gif

Could anyone explain to me why we can't get this in 3D instead of Sonic Forces with edgy grimdark visual design, tacked on OCs and a thousand friends who can't shut up?

Because Mania is aimed at the nostalgia crowd whereas Forces is aimed at the younger market crowd.

source.gif

Because Mania is aimed at the nostalgia crowd whereas Forces is aimed at the younger market crowd.
Do young people not like cool music and simple, fun gameplay? Mario games sell themselves with minimalist storylines and simple visuals, and games such as Flappy Bird and Angry Birds are among some of the most successful this generation: period.

I think people will be surprised at the success of Mania vs. Forces.

Do young people not like cool music and simple, fun gameplay? Mario games sell themselves with minimalist storylines and simple visuals, and games such as Flappy Bird and Angry Birds are among some of the most successful this generation: period.

I think people will be surprised at the success of Mania vs. Forces.
Sega has this mentality that the audience for Sonic MUST be compartmentalized and catered to separately, when really all you need to do is make a good game.

Does anyone else remember when Colors came out? Sonic 4 came out at the same time and they were showing it off at E3 like, oh, here's the return to form for the Sonic series, and everyone was way more interested in Colors because it was actually doing something new and not lazily rehashing old level themes with much worse physics. The Sega representatives were always completely caught off-guard because they figured Colors would only appeal to casual Wii gamers while Sonic 4 was supposed to be for the hardcore fans.

dat track is sum gud sht fam

Sega has this mentality that the audience for Sonic MUST be compartmentalized and catered to separately, when really all you need to do is make a good game.

Well technically, they not necessarily wrong. There are different audiences regarding 2D games and 3D games. You can see this on the Wii with NSMBW massively outselling both Galaxy games; though the sales of NSMB and Super Mario 3D titles on the 3DS and Wii U are roughly on par with each other. (3D Sonic games themselves also have a split inof themselves with people who like "traditional" platformers like Adventure and Lost World and people who like the boost games like Unleashed and Generations, but that's a different story.)

I'd say the real problem with Sonic Team's attitudes towards the audience for Sonic games is that they believe people who like 2D games and 3D games are segregated by age groups; what not with how they've called Sonic 4 and Mania both being "for older fans" and Colors and Forces being "for younger fans" (ironic, that, given how both titles they seem to be heavily compromised of 2D gameplay). Age groups are irrelevant to quality game design; if a game is good, older fans and newer fans will gravitate towards it just the same.

Blue-kun

dat track is sum gud sht fam

Well technically, they not necessarily wrong. There are different audiences regarding 2D games and 3D games. You can see this on the Wii with NSMBW massively outselling both Galaxy games; though the sales of NSMB and Super Mario 3D titles on the 3DS and Wii U are roughly on par with each other. (3D Sonic games themselves also have a split inof themselves with people who like "traditional" platformers like Adventure and Lost World and people who like the boost games like Unleashed and Generations, but that's a different story.)

I'd say the real problem with Sonic Team's attitudes towards the audience for Sonic games is that they believe people who like 2D games and 3D games are segregated by age groups; what not with how they've called Sonic 4 and Mania both being "for older fans" and Colors and Forces being "for younger fans" (ironic, that, given how both titles they seem to be heavily compromised of 2D gameplay). Age groups are irrelevant to quality game design; if a game is good, older fans and newer fans will gravitate towards it just the same.

They will, but the whole thing about 'older fans' and 'newer fans' is just that things that evoke nostalgia differ between age groups. "Older fans" obviously are the target audience of Mania, because the game is built upon the foundation that made Sonic famous in the 1st place and that many of these older fans grew up with.

Whereas Forces is obviously inspired by "modern" Sonic aesthetics that began with Adventure games -- the younger crowd probably didn't get a lot of chances to play the old games, so this is what they associate the Sonic brand with and have "nostalgia" for.

Of course, it's not supposed to be exclusive to one or the other. If the games are good, which I firmly believe both will be, the audience will overlap and kids will try out Mania whereas older fans will give Forces a go.

SoulUnison

Banned
We're getting a sequel to the Sonic CD soundtrack and it's perfect.

I'm loving this Sonic CD 2 soundtrack.

Good god I love the Sonic CD music style so much. Please, just let this game absolutely smash Sonic 4's sales figures.

Sonic CD was the high point of the series in aesthetic and music, for me.

Mania taking the bulk of its inspiration from CD is a twisted dream come true.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Wow this is really good! Definitely feels like a mix of Sonic CD and JSR.

Tee Lopes really understands that Sega sound that we all love.

Top Bottom