• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA uploading multiple tunes from Sonic Mania to YouTube

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Speaking of which, I haven't been following this game too closely (in most cases, I'd rather just wait for release and play the game than become a slave to the pre-release hype cycle), but does this game mostly consist of remixed classic levels or is there actually a good portion of brand new stuff?

MrBadger

Speaking of which, I haven't been following this game too closely (in most cases, I'd rather just wait for release and play the game than become a slave to the pre-release hype cycle), but does this game mostly consist of remixed classic levels or is there actually a good portion of brand new stuff?

It's got a good chunk of new zones as well, but they're focusing on classic zones in the marketing so to not give them away. We've seen two full new zones, and the returning classic zones are full of new ideas too. Based on what we've seen, act 1 is a remixed version of the original level, while act 2 is something entirely new, just with a familiar backdrop.

dlauv

60% old. Act 2s of older stages may as well be new stages though from the looks of them. Just as well, the Act 1s seem to be significantly remixed in terms of level design, but with more references.

Guess Who

Banned

We were told it's roughly 60/40 classic vs new, and "comparable in length" to S3&K but with more game modes. Act 1 of each classic stage is a tamer remix of the original stage while act 2 is, well, like this.

I would love it if Sonic Mania hinted that it was the REAL Sonic 4.

tumblr_oqs1xbwi1f1v2pzzno3_540.gif

Falk

that puzzling face
If there's any doubt that Falk did the sound arrangement for this game, this track squashes it. It sits perfectly like the tracks Falk composed in his Sonic Before/After the Sequel soundtracks (which are phenomenal, go listen to them!).

Really love the overhauled composition here. The jazz / R&B influences make the track.

Heya, just to clarify, While Mania was in development, Tee and I talked about a *lot* of things behind the scenes - genres, instrumentation, music theory, the different precedents of Sonic music past and present etc., but all final composition and arrangement decisions for Sonic Mania are solely his. I can't lay credit to any of the genius present. I just make it sound good.

Just so that's clear and it's not being mis-attributed. :)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: Added a bunch of YT links to OP

Why is there no physical release for this again?

The most popular theories I've seen all boil down to that it may be too costly to give this game a physical release, and/or the game's smaller scope doesn't warrant one.

Which I personally don't buy, given a handful of reasons:

a1. This is a Sonic game, which is indisputably Sega's biggest IP
a2. This is not just a Sonic game; but a classic Sonic game, which were runaway commercial successes back in the day (Sonic 1/2 in particular) and still sells today (look at the tons of ports the original games have gotten and how well Taxman's CD remake performed)
b. Sega has given smaller (if not outright niche) games/IPs like Yakuza, Hatsune Miku, and Puyo Pop Tetris (Western) physical releases in recent years
c. A Sega executive has actually said they were looking into a physical release (although this was back in April...)
d. Sega has virtually no other major releases outside Forces and Yakuza Kiwami coming out this year, so it's not like a physical release for Mania would be taking away resources from anything else
e. The Collector's Edition when they were first made available in the US and Europe via Amazon not only rose to the best-sellers list in a few regions (US, UK, France); but actually sold out quickly in Amazon France shortly after going live there. (The Collector's Edition are still sold out on the site, but they can be pre-ordered at other online ventures.)
f. While there's no physical release for the game itself; Sega has given an awful lot of other physical/tangible material to the game--but there's not only the aforementioned Collector's Edition (which has the statue with the sound chip, a card, and a ring), but also clothing merch, posters, an vinyl release for the game's soundtrack, and even game introduction manual leaflets and Mania-labeled drinks (which were at the SDCC event from a couple of weeks ago); having all of this made for Mania but not actually providing a physical release for the game itself is a really bad case of trying to have one's cake and eat it
g. They allowed a sequel to the Sonic Boom games to even be made --let alone get a physical release-- after the first two games bombed heavily. End. Of. Story.

The only other theory I've seen is that they decided that Mania stay a digital exclusive game so it doesn't upstage the main game with Forces....which while asinine, is pretty plausible IMO given Sega/Sonic Team's behaviors and attitudes in the past.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
We were told it's roughly 60/40 classic vs new, and "comparable in length" to S3&K but with more game modes. Act 1 of each classic stage is a tamer remix of the original stage while act 2 is, well, like this.

It's also been said it's longer than Generations and about the length of Sonic 3 & Knuckles. So it's looking like it'll be 12-14 stage long, and my personal guess is that there's two zones for Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, & then other each. I say other since CD is never said by name in any of the trailers or bits yet we obviously have a Sonic CD stage, and maybe there's another CD zone or maybe there's some other zone from some other older Sonic game like from the GameGear Sonic titles or something. But that'd make eight returning zones, and allow 4-5 returning zones (and there might be an extra 'special' zone if you get all the chaos emeralds for the real final boss fight).

Zubz

Banned
This Act 1 remix... It's so funky. I'm obsessed. I really can't wait to see how this game approaches Stardust Speedway. Based on the other stage's boss fights, I think we're going to see something a bit less expected than Metal Sonic, as much as I always love those races.

I need this sound. I need more of this sound. Act 2 can just be these mouth sounds for every instrument but the horns & bass & I'll be sold.

You can throw me in the crowd that wants some of the Game Gear levels and content revisited. I was hoping they would ever since Generations was announced but nooooo...

But I'm so high on Mania right now that I wouldn't be too bothered if those games got left out again. I've had Stardust Speedway on loop since I heard it and omg what is this game doing to me.

RagnarokX

After hearing about that Chemical Planet Zone boss I've had one Zone inclusion at the top of my wishlist:
Toxic Caves from Sonic Spinball
It'd be some good ass funk and be a really unique level theme. Nothing else from that game is really worth saving, though.

If I had to pick a board from Sonic Spinball I'd pick The Machine:
gXv6tr4.png

It has a really nice look to it, and the concept for it originated in the scrapped Cyber City Zone from Sonic 2:
0ESSgVsl.jpg

As far as music goes, Lava Powerhouse is the best track in Spinball.

Guys.

What if...

What if they put in a zone from Knuckles Chaotix?

Like, maybe Marina Madness or Botanic Base?

Obligatory Door Into Summer.

Fanfic time: Newtrogic High Zone. Act 1 is Isolated Island, which transitions into the hub for the mini boss. After the mini boss you launch into Speed Slider or whichever other level the devs want to reference for Act 2, which ends back in the hub where Red Metal Sonic gets a rematch as the boss. The actual gameplay of this zone would have absolutely nothing to do with Knuckles Chaotix, but dat music tho.

I love typing Newtrogic High Zone

I can see them throwing in... "bonus" zones, if you will, for completing the game. Like levels from more obscure and weird/unfinished games like Chaotix and Crackers, but with level design that's actually doable.

Top Bottom