• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seller of Durango devkit says Durango info is old, compares to Orbis better

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't really care about power that much, what I care about are games and value for money.

I have mainly been a 360 gamer this gen but at the moment neither Sony nor MS have any exclusives that really interest me.

I'm bored of both Halo and Gears. Killzone feels completely dull and soulless to me. Uncharted is fun, but like Gears I am bored of the franchise. Exactly the same for God of War (fun but now boring). The only franchise that I'm really excited for is The Last of Us.

If MS want to make a console that is slightly conservative in power that is fine by me, but I expect that to be reflected in the price. Both Sony and MS have hopefully been spending their budget on funding some exciting new games!

I don't know, I would think these are indeed controlled leaks. I would think ms is powerful enough to stop any info they don't want spreading from circulating, and we were told their engineers are working under incredibly strict secrecy measures.
Maybe they are indeed cooking some big surprise, maybe I'm just getting my hopes up.

ya, their secrecy has improved. I mean, the surface was for the most part out of left field lol. They did a pretty great job keeping it under raps.

but, then I remember there is a big difference between building something in house and having to distribute docs/kits to thousands of people around the world.

They would need a pretty scary nda with some serious consequences to keep people from talking.

Ok I just had a thought.

What if the reason we're hearing all of these things about Durango matching or exceeding Orbis is because Microsoft decided on a rethink/redesign/delay of the Nextbox to insure they had an on par or superior machine? Would a 6-8 month delay be that disastrous?

Just thinking out loud.

demolitio

PS3 was never stronger than X360 in any department, it was a myth Sony's PR was trying to convience us to.

This. Just give me GT6 and I'll buy PS4 day one for even 899$.

Uhhhhh...The PS3 WAS stronger in SOME departments and the 360 was stronger in others. To say it's not in any category is quite a stretch since a lot of people on both sides of this pointless console war would agree to that even.

Personally, the exclusives are what's going to sell me on each system, not some numbers on paper. If one is more powerful than the other, that's fine for exclusives, but multiplatforms will probably be the exact same no matter what unless it's a huge gap.

I don't get why people jump at all these rumors though. It seems people selectively choose which ones to believe depending on the side and disregard the rest. Some might be real, some might be fake. I don't know, but I'm patient enough to wait for the reveals before going crazy. The back and forth rumor battles get old.

Krabardaf

Ok I just had a thought.

What if the reason we're hearing all of these things about Durango matching or exceeding Orbis is because Microsoft decided on a rethink/redesign/delay of the Nextbox to insure they had an on par or superior machine? Would a 6-8 month delay be that disastrous?

Just thinking out loud.

I don't personalty see them do that. Missing holidays is missing millions of sales.
But nobody knows for sure here...

jaosobno

Are the press under an NDA? If they find stuff out why shouldn't they present it (if they can comprehend what they found out, anyway).

It's one thing to write an article on behalf of gaming site and it's completely another to go privately on a forum and claim to have inside info and share it with others. At least that's the way I look at it, maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe that special sauce is a bit strange but based on his forum interactions he seems like that facts trump preference. And it's not illegal to prefer one of the three companies.

We all have our preferences and we all cheer for either Sony or Microsoft (at least most of us do) but that doesn't mean that the proper way to cheer for your preferred company is by feeding us crap like secret sauce theories (and it seems that secret sauce is nothing more than a combination of DME, eSRAM and compressed AA - which are nothing more than a glorified bandwidth saviors considering that eSRAM is much slower than eDRAM in X360 and that DDR3 has abysmal bandwidth).

It's perfectly fine to have a preference, I'm just having issues with methods used to display that preference.

Regarding superDaE and his claims, I will wait for Kotaku article before I pass my judgment

sono

How much lead time to first arrival at retail would you need to change GPU, CPU or ram type and speed ?

6 months, 12 months ?

Wheres the fat lady ?

Krabardaf

It's one thing to write an article and it's completely another to go to a forum and claim to have inside info and share it with others. At least that's the way I look at it, maybe I'm wrong.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Ageis isn't probably under NDA for the details he spoke about.
He could be under NDA for infos unveiled at a private press conference or something, but there is no reason for him to endorse any responsibilities if a dev broke his NDA by telling him things.

So basically we need to wait for him to reveal more of his "inside info" to Kotaku. Hopefully he's as least getting paid for it.

Are the press under an NDA? If they find stuff out why shouldn't they present it (if they can comprehend what they found out, anyway).
At this stage I don't think press members would be under NDA but MS/Sony could certainly obtain court orders to force them to take down info.

The same way news sites can get away with posting leaked confidential government info without much more than a cease and desist.

I don't personalty see them do that. Missing holidays is missing millions of sales.
But nobody knows for sure here...

That was my first kneejerk reaction as well... BUT

If Microsoft is going the services/blue ocean route missing one holiday of hard core early adopters, wouldn't be all that terrible in the long run.

ekim

I got the info that MS has still not decided on which of 3-4 (power)options they will choose for the final chip. I know that this is lukewarm info and I also don't know if this is true.

KidBeta

I got the info that MS has still not decided on which of 3-4 (power)options they will choose for the final chip. I know that this is lukewarm info and I also don't know if this is true.

So microsoft isnt launching till at least mid next year if they havent finalised stuff yet then.

ekim

So microsoft isnt launching till at least mid next year if you they havent finalised stuff yet then.

I also don't know what to make out of this but I don't have any idea how long it takes to manufacture enough consoles for release this year.

jaosobno

He's not wrong.

If anything he has revealed lately has been true is yet to be seen, then again i guess if you fire enough times in one direction your bound to hit something.

He's wrong. Until we officially see the final specs he's reliable as anyone on this forum - there is absolutely no way to verify his claims.

So I'd ignore his twitter crap-o-rama for now.

ekim

What does this mean?

I have no idea. My interpretation was, that they have 4 ready-to-manufacture boards with different base (GPU)chips (which differ in terms of clock, # of SC's...).

€: I mean - it makes sense. They made this a high-security project from what I can tell (there were a lot news about how they locked down the buildings where Durango is being developed and how involved teams don't know about each other)

I have no idea. My interpretation was, that they have 4 ready-to-manufacture boards with different base (GPU)chips (which differ in terms of clock, # of SC's...).

€: I mean - it makes sense. They made this a high-security project from what I can tell (there were a lot news about how they locked down the buildings where Durango is being developed and how involved teams don't know about each other)

If they're launching this year there's no way their still mix-matching boards.

KidBeta

He's wrong. Until we officially see the final specs he's reliable as anyone on this forum - there is absolutely no way to verify his claims.

So I'd ignore his twitter crap-o-rama for now.

I meant the quote he has revealed more stuff is not wrong.

Its whether or not his shit stinks or not that is the real question.

I also don't know what to make out of this but I don't have any idea how long it takes to manufacture enough consoles for release this year.

Well it takes roughly a year after everything is finalised to have a shippable product.

Toski

The only reason I can believe this is because MS decided they want to invest in first party games all of a sudden. A delay would help their new studios with dev time and get greater yields on their more powerful prototype chips.

I think MS must've yielded 2-3 designs and given devs the specs of the preferred/higher yielding chip, and kept the more powerful one in their back pocket. A delay would have MS playing catch-up to Sony this year, but would give them more time to create content/rip off Sony, and have a more powerful box.

Dextl

Neo Member
lol at the question to this.

JAjDkH8.png
Oh shit, he's seen the redesign!
anjk4p3.png

KidBeta

The only reason I can believe this is because MS decided they want to invest in first party games all of a sudden. A delay would help their new studios with dev time and get greater yields on their more powerful prototype chips.

I think MS must've yielded 2-3 designs and given devs the specs of the preferred/higher yielding chip, and kept the more powerful one in their back pocket. A delay would have MS playing catch-up to Sony this year, but would give them more time to create content/rip off Sony, and have a more powerful box.

It wont happen, it just wont, doing so much extra work for practically nothing is not what happens, its never has before and it wont happen. This idea is about as ludicrous as the RayTracing secret sauce.

Toski

It wont happen, it just wont, doing so much extra work for practically nothing is not what happens, its never has before and it wont happen. This idea is about as ludicrous as the RayTracing secret sauce.

The only thing MS has somewhat committed to is E3, there has been no formal announcement of anything unlike Sony. I could see a delay for a more powerful box if there are any OG Xbox/360 figureheads pushing for such a thing.

That said, I think MS launches a box this year similar to the rumored specs that have been given.

QaaQer

How much lead time to first arrival at retail would you need to change GPU, CPU or ram type and speed ?

6 months, 12 months ?

Wheres the fat lady ?

Richard from DF says that phone manufacturers, who are in the fastest changing sector of the tech industry, need a minimum of 18 months.

Toski

Richard from DF says that phone manufacturers, who are in the fastest changing sector of the tech industry, need a minimum of 18 months.

I guess thats enough time for a launch next year fall/winter. Would MS give Sony a whole year headstart just for better specs? I don't think so.

We need to have the real reveal soon.
Too much trolling happening and i see kaz everywhere :p.
What if strength in console flip again we will everybody be ballmerfy their ava shit would be really shit so too speak.

They have even less space to operate in low power low heat then console spec playing space is like heaven. But im pretty sure publishers like EA,Ubisoft and others want a two simple to program consoles
and both as almost equal in strength not a 30+% gap like rumors are telling more in the 10+-%. Means you can have 90% the same codebase and the other 10% can do platform/OS(ps4,720 and PC) specific things.
So everybody wins hopefully pc because i want it to win :p.

Erasus

Because more power definitely makes it a better system in the long run. Look at what happened to the PS3.

This time the architechtures are basically the same, dosent seem to be complicated like PS3 was. Both use x86 8 core CPU, ps4 just has faster but less RAM and a better GPU

I'm bored of both Halo and Gears. Killzone feels completely dull and soulless to me. Uncharted is fun, but like Gears I am bored of the franchise. Exactly the same for God of War (fun but now boring). The only franchise that I'm really excited for is The Last of Us.

What about?
Wipeout HD
Sound Shapes
MGS4
Ni No Kuni
Motorstorm
Shatter
?

Proxy

I have a hard time believing they're still deciding which set up to go with. If they are then it's highly unlikely they'll launch this year and even if they can make it they'll have so little stock if the rumors of yield issues are true.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay, let's make no more threads about Twitter posts, especially ones about how we are not a good community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom