• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seller of Durango devkit says Durango info is old, compares to Orbis better

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said to wait for kotaku. Probably sold the story to them.

Why would someone flagrantly disregarding NDA's with Sony and Microsoft care about any monetary contractual arrangement with Kotaku?

Also would someone who tried to sell an earlier devkit - the Intel/Nvidia one - really be given new kits/information as at Feb 2011; let alone apparently even newer information later?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Part of me believes MS will up the specs to match or exceed PS4 and the other part remembers Kinect and if they bundle it with the system, plus match/up PS4 specs, how can reasonably price this beast?

Or MS look at the rumoured specs, realise its only slightly ahead on paper and the end result is likely to be indistinguishable from Durango games and they remain satisfied with their plan.

KidBeta

I was under the impression that SuperDAE collaborated with VGLeaks. That he was giving info to them and to Kotaku. I may be wrong but I was under the impression the VGLeaks Durango info came from him, however old it is.

Incorrect. iirc superdae had 0 to do with the last vgleaks article on durango, and it all came from a white paper from a conference last year that they are slowly drip feeding to people for hits.

What?

Anyone with a development kit is either under NDA... or stole it.

a whole thing went down between his attorney and microsoft. no clue what, because he ended up deleting or disabling his twitter for a few weeks and ended up deleting all his tweets.

could of found a loop hole in the nda. could of purchased it from a defunct dev studio.

who knows.

scently

I was under the impression that SuperDAE collaborated with VGLeaks. That he was giving info to them and to Kotaku. I may be wrong but I was under the impression the VGLeaks Durango info came from him, however old it is.

I think vgleaks have their own source and superDae is kotaku's source.

Anyway, the main spec don't have to change for durango to be better actually, a clock speed bump can do that. It is possible that is what is happening.

For what its worth, his initial durango alpha kit was accurate, and was even comfirmed by DF.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Incorrect. iirc superdae had 0 to do with the last vgleaks article on durango, and it all came from a white paper from a conference last year that they are slowly drip feeding to people for hits.

Ah, OK. I believed everyone was working off, more or less, the same information, that it was the same stuff getting passed around (e.g. Aegies seemed to suggest the vg leaks info was what he had, I presumed same for proelite etc.)

Grand then. We'll see what comes out of Kotaku.

THE:MILKMAN

This makes sense when lherre and thuway both said the block diagrams of Durango VGleaks posted looked familiar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Have you talked to a typical Microsoft investor lately? I have. They don't see Sony as any threat at all. Google and Apple are the threats to Microsoft, and games are just one form of apps/services. You might not like to hear it (don't kill the messenger) but the investors want Microsoft to slow the rise of Android and iOS, which requires a much broader strategy than chasing fickle core gamers around.

I realise everything is up for grabs in the living room, with the rise of on demand streaming services, but consoles like PS3 and 360 already confuse that picture, and I'd expect PS4 to continue that.

So what more are MS going to do to create the gap in perceived value necessary to take over the living room, over and above what is already available? Something as simple as tying all the loose threads together neatly?

And if it is a US centric approach how does that affect their plans globally? Assume rapid uptake in the US and then roll out globally over the coming years? What do gamers in France do in the meantime?

What does this all even matter? If both consoles are on par, it only does benefit us gamers. It also means that when the two boxes are almost equal in performance that both parties have to work harder by putting to the table what really matters: the GAMES.

Could also lead to a lot more exclusive deals which is not good for gamers

derFeef

I remember the rumors of the new Xbox being pretty powerful and MS is going "all out" with hardware. Then the recent leaks happened. I wonder if just too much time has passed to make those specs impressive.

I think vgleaks have their own source and superDae is kotaku's source.

Anyway, the main spec don't have to change for durango to be better actually, a clock speed bump can do that. It is possible that is what is happening.

For what its worth, his initial durango alpha kit was accurate, and was even comfirmed by DF.
I imagine clock speed adjustments will be made down to the wire for both until they hit mass production.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really hope that both machines have identical power so we can finally put an end these wars.

No I don't. I hope Xbox 720 kill PS4. The ongoing rage on this forum would be glorious.

TheOddOne

I remember the rumors of the new Xbox being pretty powerful and MS is going "all out" with hardware. Then the recent leaks happened. I wonder if just too much time has passed to make those specs impressive.
Then there are the two sku rumours.

I am not that tech savvy or anytihng, but would it be wrong to think that these specs were made for a console that was suppose to launch a few years ago?

I mean we have the "yukon" specs from that 2010 pdf that no longer was their projected console.

Is it possible that this these specs are from around the same time period?

Since they were no longer going to release a console for a while, they went back to the drawing board and updated stuff that we have no seen yet?

Just pure speculation of course on my part.

I am not that tech savvy or anytihng, but would it be wrong to think that these specs were made for a console that was suppose to launch a few years ago?

I mean we have the "yukon" specs from that 2010 pdf that no longer was their projected console.

Is it possible that this these specs are from around the same time period?

Since they were no longer going to release a console for a while, they went back to the drawing board and updated stuff that we have no seen yet?

Just pure speculation of course on my part.
The Yukon specs were always relatively nonsensical iirc. But the Yukon target performance is pretty much what we're seeing.

As for the specs we have, they're confirmed as from a summit MS held last year.

The Yukon specs were always relatively nonsensical iirc. But the Yukon target performance is pretty much what we're seeing.

As for the specs we have, they're confirmed as from a summit MS held last year.

according to Paul Thurrot, Yukon was suppose to be the next box up until last year when they changed the design.

Durante

PS3 was never stronger than X360 in any department, it was a myth Sony's PR was trying to convience us to.
That's just not true. It absolutely was stronger in some areas and weaker in others.

In any case, the situation with the hugely architecturally different PS3 and 360 will not help us understand what will happen with the very similar Durango and Orbis.

The plot thickens.
The current specs going by Ilherre's post doesn't even line up with what he said.

And he already knew Orbis current specs beforehand...

Iherre's into is legit, but he'll admit himself that he's not a tech guy and not best placed to compare specs.

A Microsoft quasi-monopoly...Do not want!

I don't think anyone whose mature or rational about this would be happy seeing any company do poorly but this whole "this company really loves gaming" or "that company will save us now" kind of talk that permeates these threads, though veiled, are just as goofy and detached from the reality of what's actually good for the consumer as any other.

What does this all even matter? If both consoles are on par, it only does benefit us gamers. It also means that when the two boxes are almost equal in performance that both parties have to work harder by putting to the table what really matters: the GAMES.

Could also lead to a lot more exclusive deals which is not good for gamers

I totally agree with you - third party developers can't really afford to have one game look superior on a certain console. Parity is important and I think this is also one reason the Wii/U is shunned not only it takes more effort (money, time) to adapt but the visual parity would probably be not the same.

I personally hope that both PS4 and 720 are really close with some advantages depending on the game developed. Best case PS4 scenario I can think of is that it will be the lead plattform more often. I don't care about the rest.

blakckid.gif

Krabardaf

a whole thing went down between his attorney and microsoft. no clue what, because he ended up deleting or disabling his twitter for a few weeks and ended up deleting all his tweets.

could of found a loop hole in the nda. could of purchased it from a defunct dev studio.

who knows.

Studios have the absolute obligation to return the devkits to their manufacturers. We have PSP devkits here, you can't even throw them away or destroy them, so selling them would be heading into a lot of problem.
Don't know how the guy found one.

jaosobno

They're not though. Only Lherre said that. Two others said Durango had the edge, but those two have a spotty record of reliability and are also not devs or working in game fields themselves. Far as I can remember Proelite works for Microsoft in an unrelated department and Karak has a source working for Microsoft. Not sure about Aegis, I believe he's a member of the press.

aegies is former TeamXbox and present Polygon - a site heavily funded by Microsoft.

So I'd say his objectivity is questionable to put it mildly. Sometimes (when I switch to "theory conspiracy mode") I think he's doing some kind of stealth marketing for Microsoft/Durango on this forum (considering that GAF is often quoted as the source in gaming news and that he heavily advocated secret sauce theory which is, it seems, is bullshit of the decade).

aegies is former TeamXbox and present Polygon - a site heavily funded by Microsoft.

So I'd say his objectivity is questionable to put it mildly. Sometimes (when I switch to "theory conspiracy mode") I think he's doing some kind of stealth marketing for Microsoft/Durango on this forum (considering that GAF is often quoted as the source in gaming news).

lol, when I switch to "conspiracy theory mode" I think all this shit is just a viral marketing trick by microsoft. Documents purposely leaked. Misinformation. Build hype. etc etc.

I think we under-estimate the influence microsoft had and is having. There will be instructions that are very specific to microsoft D3D research, just like on the xenos.

We've just had a multiple page technical document aimed at developers leaked, that describes what is essentially a stock GCN graphics core. If Microsoft had revolutionised the architecture in some way, do you not think it would be a good idea to let their developers know? How are developers supposed to target these new fantastic features if Microsoft won't tell them what they are?

DESTROYA

Guess we will find out soon enough, I love all the rumors but take everything with a grain of salt becuase in all reality we could be surprised or dissapointed, either way I'm ready to see what they have to offer.

jaosobno

lol, when I switch to "conspiracy theory mode" I think all this shit is just a viral marketing trick by microsoft. Documents purposely leaked. Misinformation. Build hype. etc etc.

Yep, it's definitely weird that no one suffered any legal consequences because of these leaks. Specially aegies - everyone knows his real identity and yet he seems to suffer no consequences for leaking Durango info. One would think that Microsoft's legal team would be all over the guy for doing this and yet this didn't happen.

So he's either feeding us false data (hence Microsoft has nothing to be worried about) or he's advertising/doing damage control for them.

ekim

So I did the math:
When they increase the clock of the GPU to 1000MHz it would end up in 1.5 TFlops.
1200 MHz would be 1.8 TFlops.

and TFlops don't count in the end

So basically we need to wait for him to reveal more of his "inside info" to Kotaku. Hopefully he's as least getting paid for it.

Yep, it's definitely weird that no one suffered any legal consequences because of these leaks. Specially aegies - everyone knows his real identity and yet he seems to suffer no consequences for leaking Durango info. One would think that Microsoft's legal team would be all over the guy for doing this and yet this didn't happen.

So he's either feeding us false data (hence Microsoft has nothing to be worried about) or he's advertising/doing damage control for them.

Are the press under an NDA? If they find stuff out why shouldn't they present it (if they can comprehend what they found out, anyway).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Maybe that special sauce is a bit strange but based on his forum interactions he seems like that facts trump preference. And it's not illegal to prefer one of the three companies.

Seems to be a new "trend" confronting other "media" with "...but NeoGAF said" to get someone to obviously overreacting.

So I did the math:
When they increase the clock of the GPU to 1000MHz it would end up in 1.5 TFlops.
1200 MHz would be 1.8 TFlops.

and TFlops don't count in the end

Possible but from 800MHz to 1200MHz is a big step - if you look how desktop GPUs get their extreme edition with a ~50MHz increase.

Assuming some stupid logic and probably being way off but an increase of 400MHz with the same core voltage would mean:

assumed TDP before: 75W
assumed TDP after: ~112W

Quite a big step if you ask me.

ekim

Seems to be a new "trend" confronting other "media" with "...but NeoGAF said" to get someone to obviously overreacting.

Possible but from 800MHz to 1200MHz is a big step - if you look how desktop GPUs get their extreme edition with a ~50MHz increase.

Assuming some stupid logic and probably being way off but an increase of 400MHz with the same core voltage would mean:

assumed TDP before: 75W
assumed TDP after: ~112W

Quite a big step if you ask me.

Yeah of course. I was just theorizing. 1000 MHz seem possible though.

eso76

I don't know, I would think these are indeed controlled leaks. I would think ms is powerful enough to stop any info they don't want spreading from circulating, and we were told their engineers are working under incredibly strict secrecy measures.
Maybe they are indeed cooking some big surprise, maybe I'm just getting my hopes up.

Krabardaf

1000Mhz is already enormous for a GPU, even a high end PC one.
If the base clock is 800Mhz, there is 0 chance we'll see such a clock. 1200mhz would burn your house down :p
Maybe +- 825Mhz, but no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom