• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serbian Volleyball Team Strikes Racist Pose After Victory

18s4gp7x1awv6jpg.jpg

spain-topper.jpg

spainrace_790866c.jpg

Spanish tennis team

Nothing new.
Yeah I remember that one.

wandering

Banned
I wasn't sure if someone was going to go with a reference to the avatar or that posters name first

They just make it too easy.

Also, I feel like reference to Asian peoples' eyes is like the n-word. If you're not Asian, just don't.

This also goes for people who like to call sleepy/baked eyes "chinky"

demented

As an Asian woman, I think it is nice to see other countries celebrate us. I don't think they had any hate in their heart

Agree, I live in Serbia and while it may be racist elsewhere here it isn't done as a bad thing, it just represents Asia or Asian people, something like that and they're happy to be going to Japan. Unless you browse internet forums and shit like that no one here will know this is considered racist.

Jonnax

Eastern Europe is the euro equivalent of rural America.

No, and that's a fucking idiotic generalization and you should know it.

I'd like to see this team try to squirm their way out of this with a stupid apology.

I don't really see what's wrong with that comparison. Rural america is more conservative and conservatives are more intolerant. (It's the definition of the word "conservative")

I mean have a look at a map of attitudes to gay marriage:

UIFKn3v.png

That indicates to me that the further east you go, the more in intolerant in general it gets in Europe. Of course, there are exceptions just like in rural states in America there are more tolerant cities.

No, and that's a fucking idiotic generalization and you should know it.

I'd like to see this team try to squirm their way out of this with a stupid apology.
Just like the Spanish teams who did this got in so much trouble right? Their stars aren't nationally and internationally celebrated sports stars.

Surfinn

Watch them walk it back..

"Gotta keep your for eyes on the ball.. To win!"

On second thought, maybe they won't even need to.

Seriously.. What year is it

Saya

Agree, I live in Serbia and while it may be racist elsewhere here it isn't done as a bad thing, it just represents Asia or Asian people, something like that and they're happy to be going to Japan. Unless you browse internet forums and shit like that no one here will know this is considered racist.

Wait wot?

If you tell them it's racist, would they stop?

If the answer is no, then well they're not being very respectful are they?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
So far the only reasonable person in this thread seems to be the asian woman.

Surfinn

It doesn't matter if you don't think it's racist. It is.. So now you just learn not to do it and apologize, then maybe think about other things you might do that may be perceived negatively (referring to the volleyball team).

The world doesn't always just excuse extreme ignorance. And why should it?

ezequiel-lavezzi.jpg

Hebei China Fortuneafter signing a contract in China some days ago, He since then apologies ...
... Did Hebei China Fortune actually release that as their image? I guess they wouldn't have understood the context? Was there much of an outrage in China or was it Westerners who 'got' what he was doing?

There's a lot of that shit in Europe. Back in the 90s on tv, you would see comedians do that kind of gesture all the time while imitating asian people. It's frowned upon these days but it hasn't completely disappeared.

oberjin

Neo Member
... Did Hebei China Fortune actually release that as their image? I guess they wouldn't have understood the context? Was there much of an outrage in China or was it Westerners who 'got' what he was doing?

This is a statement from Hebei :

Hebei apologised for “our neglect in our work”, adding they would “be more careful in the future”.

“Since joining us at the beginning of 2016, Lavezzi has been getting along very well with the team and been loved by fans too,” the club’s statement said.

“He has expressed his love for China many times too. Now we have communicated with him and have clarified he had no bad intentions and he deeply apologised for any offense caused.”

Hebei also denied they had officially released the photo.

Elchele

most likely the west are the ones making a huge deal out of it. He's just having fun without trying to hurt or being racist. He's an idiot for sure, but I doubt it was racist at all

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
hook, line, and sinker

StayDead

What's racist about dying your hair?
Nah, he's mocking people who think this is racist.

When you're dying your hair purely because the stereotype is that all Swedish people are blonde then that's verging on racist (or at least I always thought it was). I mean just look at the vile hatred towards Polish people in the UK. Is there another term for this sort of thing that I've missed?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I'd like to think that a few of them who didn't go with it, weren't just caught out of the pose, but were consciously boycotted it.

If you tell them it's racist, would they stop?

If the answer is no, then well they're not being very respectful are they?
If someone (and especially an Asian person) tells them it's racist, vast majority of people I know there would stop. I haven't seen very many genuinely hateful racist people there. Ignorance and unawareness of these issues is very high though.

*edit* as a possible proof that I'm not just talking out of my butt, see this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368316

Jumeira

Banned
Eastern Europe is the euro equivalent of rural America.
I believe English players of black origin warned families traveling to Poland/Ukraine for the Euros, but yeah I do feel thier views are fairly severe in East Europe compared to the west.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I don't really see what's wrong with that comparison. Rural america is more conservative and conservatives are more intolerant. (It's the definition of the word "conservative")

I mean have a look at a map of attitudes to gay marriage:

UIFKn3v.png

That indicates to me that the further east you go, the more in intolerant in general it gets in Europe. Of course, there are exceptions just like in rural states in America there are more tolerant cities.

The only one that surprised (and disappointed) me was Switzerland. What's your deal Switzerland?

Top Bottom