• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serbian Volleyball Team Strikes Racist Pose After Victory

shira

The reason why esports is better
nUEvE8Q.jpg

During the Rio Olympics, we'd have the games on in the office during the day, so I ended up seeing a bunch of Serbian women's volleyball. Their player, Brankica Mihajlović, awoke something in me I didn't know existed. I figured once the Olympics were over, she'd fade from my memory.....

That's it.

Desperado

During the Rio Olympics, we'd have the games on in the office during the day, so I ended up seeing a bunch of Serbian women's volleyball. Their player, Brankica Mihajlović, awoke something in me I didn't know existed. I figured once the Olympics were over, she'd fade from my memory.....

That's it.

go on?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Eye roll.

I'm never shocked by any of these displays of ignorance and racism. I'm too cynical to think anything will come from calling them out on it, but a part of me always hopes...

Has anyone defended this yet? Because I have some talking points.

Culture something something. Not racism, but nationalism something something. Being naïve isn't racism and they're clearly just having innocent fun. You only think it's racist because you live in a racist American society something something. Tradition something something. I have a bunch of Serbian friends that are of Asian decent and they don't think it's racist at all something something. Any of those work? No? Lame.

These countries don't have the concept that these things are rude like we have in the West. It's not the same as someone from America or Western Europe doing it for example. Because there it is definitely established as a racist thing due to significant minority communities with Far Eastern racial features.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Not defending it, but from growing up in Spain I can at least tell you that it is not done with any mockery or malice. Its mostly ignorance because there are not a lot of Asian people around, in America more people have the chance to be more educated on the subject.

Markoman

Stupid, unnecessary racism.

I agree with some posters about the rural America comparisson. In this day and age with all the social media stuff it would've been cool if someone addressed this in a polite but educating manner. For example tweeting: 2017 ladies, not cool. No need to attack them tho, because I agree with this one poster here: I give them the benefit of the doubt, that this is a result of ignorance and lack of "global cultural awareness". Childish behaviour which calls for some sort of intervention, not a slap or a whip but reasoning.

But please, this is not an issue found exclusively in Eastern Europe. The bizzare thing about most European countries is that -yes, you might say they tend to be nationalists or even racists, but in reality they are mostly local patriotic simpletons. There is no permanent Italian, Spanish, Croatian, Serbian, Greek, Portugese mindset on a larger scale - Nationalism is only triggered in those countries when the everyday bubble is penetrated with something bigger, see refugee crisis . In everday life you'll find Catalans saying nasty, offensive things about Basques or people from Nothern Italy making rude jokes about people from Sicily. My point: the main problem with this attitude is not the apparent display of racism in the OP. It's the unhealthy pack mentality that doesn't stop at the color of your skin of the shape of your eyes. Don't know about the US, but I assume it's similar.

Takuan

Not defending it, but from growing up in Spain I can at least tell you that it is not done with any mockery or malice. Its mostly ignorance because there are not a lot of Asian people around, in America more people have the chance to be more educated on the subject.

That's how I see it, as a Canadian Chinese. Ignorant, not malicious.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Agree, I live in Serbia and while it may be racist elsewhere here it isn't done as a bad thing, it just represents Asia or Asian people, something like that and they're happy to be going to Japan. Unless you browse internet forums and shit like that no one here will know this is considered racist.

While it's not necessarily malicious, but it's extremely dehumanizing.

If you came from an outside culture and you knew what they are actually thinking when they do that, you would not let them off so easy. It comes from a place of condescension and superiority complex. It's not a celebration. It's turning a nationality or race into a joke.

It's the equivalent of calling a Chinese person Ching Chong.

It's as if a male got invited as a guest speaker to a women's issues conference and celebrated by putting oranges under their shirt and pretended to have boobs.

That Doesnt come from respect or admiration.

It comes from making a broad group of people into a big joke

Derwind

That's how I see it, as a Canadian Chinese. Ignorant, not malicious.

How do you differentiate when its malcious? If they stop smiling, maybe then? Or how about a signed affidavit saying they were being malcious? I'm just curious.

You know what, not my battle to fight.

Takuan

How do you differentiate when its malcious? If they stop smiling, maybe then? Or how about a signed affidavit saying they were being malcious? I'm just curious.

You know what, not my battle to fight.

I'm just considering the context. Chances are, they don't know have much exposure to Southeast Asian people; what little exposure they have is likely to be common imagery seen in media.

I just don't get a hateful vibe from that photo.

She's totally got that "Uh I'm not with these guys" kinda look.
I feel like the photographer said "Girls, do something Japanese", and that's what she went with.

Derwind

I'm just considering the context. Chances are, they don't know have much exposure to Southeast Asian people; what little exposure they have is likely to be common imagery seen in media.

This is a national volleyball team, representative of an entire country. Everyone involved in giving the greenlight for this photo-op, including the team members could easily have done their homework. No?

Especially in this era of information?

L Thammy

Even if there's no "malicious intent", can we at least agree that this was a really stupid idea and it wouldn't be surprising if it's viewed as an insult?

Like, even if you're afraid to call people who do racist shit racists, can we at least say that blatantly racist shit is blatantly racist shit?

These countries don't have the concept that these things are rude like we have in the West. It's not the same as someone from America or Western Europe doing it for example. Because there it is definitely established as a racist thing due to significant minority communities with Far Eastern racial features.

Spain's male and female basketball and tennis teams say a big hello.

Takuan

This is a national volleyball team, representative of an entire country. Everyone involved in giving the greenlight for this photo-op, including the team members could easily have done their homework. No?

Especially in this era of information?

They could have. They didn't think to, because racial sensitivity probably isn't something they've ever sat down and considered, probably because they've never had a reason to.

Again, it's plain ignorance.

wait, what's the narrative?
I find the pic amusing.

Derwind

They could have. They didn't think to, because racial sensitivity probably isn't something they've ever sat down and considered, probably because they've never had a reason to.

Again, it's plain ignorance.

"Didn't think to" repeated often enough in cases such as these start to sound like "Never gave a...."

They whole program had every chance to, I can't find a single excuse why a countrys National team playing in an International league has absolutely zero-self awareness.

Showing your ass to the world isn't a good look, nor do I buy these case of childlike innocence. When there were probably plenty of intelligent people that could have intervened in that photo op.

But thats just how I look at it.

Apologise for extending this conversation as long as I have.

Sunster

I feel like the photographer said "Girls, do something Japanese", and that's what she went with.

not here to prove racism. I just wanna clear something up real quick,

racism doesn't require hatred/malice.

Takuan

"Didn't think to" repeated often enough in cases such as these start to sound like "Never gave a...."

They whole program had every chance to, I can't find a single excuse why a countrys National team playing in an International league has absolutely zero-self awareness.

Showing your ass to the world isn't a good look, nor do I buy these case of childlike innocence. When there were probably plenty of intelligent people that could have intervened in that photo op.

But thats just how I look at it.

Apologise for extending this conversation as long as I have.

No, your interpretation is totally understandable, viewed from our cultural lens. It's unfathomable that they didn't know better, to those as exposed to racial topics as we are. All I'm really saying the world hasn't caught up, and in many parts of the globe the visibility just isn't there; I don't think it's particularly common for someone to look up a topic they don't know exists, and that's what we're looking at in that photo.

suzu

I knew it was gonna be that, because it's like the number 1 go-to gesture for mocking Asians.

Even if the intent is not malicious, it's still racist.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
18s4gp7x1awv6jpg.jpg

spain-topper.jpg

spainrace_790866c.jpg

Spanish tennis team

Nothing new.

Funny enough, I am a 3rd generation Chinese American, and my girlfriend is Spanish/Catalan from Barcelona. I just see this and the Serbian team as silly and innocuous. In western and central europe, people don't have to deal with many other cultures other than your own. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things, they are waaaaaaaaaay more socially and culturally sensitive than China. Take my anecdotal experience for what it's worth, but I've had wonderful times partying and making friends in Spain and places like Croatia in comparison to China.

I know even being American and Chinese, and not speaking Chinese, people in China are very overtly rude towards me. There's a word or something like 'useless Chinese' that gets thrown around. That's pretty prejudice.

We live in a world where somebody literally defaced Lebron James' house, the most famous current American basketball player, with a hateful, and purposely hurtful racial slur. That's where the real dangerous racisim lies, not some young Serbians that don't know better.

Elchele

Funny enough, I am a 3rd generation Chinese American, and my girlfriend is Spanish/Catalan from Barcelona. I just see this and the Serbian team as silly and innocuous. In western and central europe, people don't have to deal with many other cultures other than your own. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things, they are waaaaaaaaaay more socially and culturally sensitive than China. Take my anecdotal experience for what it's worth, but I've had wonderful times partying and making friends in Spain and places like Croatia in comparison to China.

I know even being American and Chinese, and not speaking Chinese, people in China are very overtly rude towards me. There's a word or something like 'useless Chinese' that gets thrown around. That's pretty prejudice.

We live in a world where somebody literally defaced Lebron James' house, the most famous current American basketball player, with a hateful, and purposely hurtful racial slur. That's where the real dangerous racisim lies, not some young Serbians that don't know better.

Great post.

Anticol

Banned
C_naMs7U0AQXb9M.jpg

Just some weeks ago when this player signed for a chinese club. And this is in the context of a club photoshoot, from which this photo got clearly approved, somehow. Crazy.

Well he is from Argentina and that is one of the most racist countrues in the world, no surprise.

Top Bottom