• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serbian Volleyball Team Strikes Racist Pose After Victory

Socreges

Banned
Funny enough, I am a 3rd generation Chinese American, and my girlfriend is Spanish/Catalan from Barcelona. I just see this and the Serbian team as silly and innocuous. In western and central europe, people don't have to deal with many other cultures other than your own. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things, they are waaaaaaaaaay more socially and culturally sensitive than China. Take my anecdotal experience for what it's worth, but I've had wonderful times partying and making friends in Spain and places like Croatia in comparison to China.

I know even being American and Chinese, and not speaking Chinese, people in China are very overtly rude towards me. There's a word or something like 'useless Chinese' that gets thrown around. That's pretty prejudice.

We live in a world where somebody literally defaced Lebron James' house, the most famous current American basketball player, with a hateful, and purposely hurtful racial slur. That's where the real dangerous racisim lies, not some young Serbians that don't know better.
Yeah, it's due to ignorance and lack of exposure. Not malice.

eg, a friend of mine from Spain used to call my black friend "Michael Jordan". For no other reason than the guy is black and Michael Jordan was the most famous black person he knew. Otherwise they got along great but there was a novelty and ignorance to it.

Lev

Cultural sensitivity should be practiced by international sport athletes, especially since they are in many ways like ambassadors for the nations that they compete for and represent. That is why ignorance is not an excuse for how these women acted.

Personally, I'd be happy if this volleyball team was revoked from being able to play. It would be a good way to discipline such behavior.

aBarreras

^^^ see? holy shit

eg, a friend of mine from Spain used to call my black friend "Michael Jordan". For no other reason than the guy is black and Michael Jordan was the most famous black person he knew. Otherwise they got along great but there was a novelty and ignorance to it.

well a post above said that it doesnt require malice to be racism so :/

i always found me conflicted on these topics, i know that the gesture is racist, and degorative, but i really dont think these girls did it with bad intention, but it doesnt matter,

there are already people they are racists fucks that deserve no sympathy.

if they were doing it to mock the asians after beating them on a game or something, maybe people would have a point, but these are just happy girls happy about going to the world championship on japan.

i dont know

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Well he is from Argentina and that is one of the most racist countrues in the world, no surprise.

I don't want to get too preachy, but as a POC, I think it's really important to look at the intent and context of racism. I routinely deal with the microaggression, 'where are you ACTUALLY from,' when I am ethnically Chinese who was born and raised in Chicago, and whose parent was born and raised in Chicago. It's a cringy question, yes, but it's no worse than asking a heavy-set girl 'When are you expecting?'

Really, the microaggressions are equivalent hearing from Asian-American people from immigrant house holds that I am 'a bannana' or act 'too white.' If not worse, because they are going out of their way to mark me as different, and disapprove of my natural self expression.

I feel that, as an ethnic minority in the west, you really really have to choose where you fight your battles. As I stated before, the 'slanty eye' pose has less to do with making an overt insult to predominantly east Asian characteristics, and more to do with the social and cultural inexperience of these girls from Serbia, or the Spanish Basketball teams, or Argentinian footballers, or what have you. They are young athletes. I'm sure we all partook in cringe-worthy social activities that we regretted later as late-teens and early-20s individuals.

'Argentina is one of the most racist countries in the world.' Man, that's a loaded generalization. Do you think if, as a fan of the NBA, if I asked Manu Ginobili for an autograph, he'd be like 'No, I don't sign autographs for Chinese people?' I doubt it.

Yet here, in America, we have reporters here saying they are upset a Japanese racer won the Indie 500 on memorial day. Or much much worse, people graphiting the N-Word on Lebron James' home. That's some horrible actions taken with ill-will and anti-social intent.

When I was in Croatia last summer, people kept grabbing me in the club and asking me if I was Steve Aoki. A microaggression, definitely, but under the surface, people were genuinely trying to connect to me, dancing at some random night club in Split. They'd buy me drinks. There was laughter and camaraderie. I'd take that anyday over somebody spray painting racial slurs on my house and bailing.

We live in a world where somebody literally defaced Lebron James' house, the most famous current American basketball player, with a hateful, and purposely hurtful racial slur. That's where the real dangerous racisim lies, not some young Serbians that don't know better.

You know, if you focus on them only when they get to that point of writing racial slurs on people's properties, you'll never solve the problem.

Fisty

Agree, I live in Serbia and while it may be racist elsewhere here it isn't done as a bad thing, it just represents Asia or Asian people, something like that and they're happy to be going to Japan. Unless you browse internet forums and shit like that no one here will know this is considered racist.

Serbia confirmed the Alabama of Eastern Europe

Tagyhag

Even if it doesn't have inherent malice, they should still be called out on it.

I don't want to get too preachy, but as a POC, I think it's really important to look at the intent and context of racism. I routinely deal with the microaggression, 'where are you ACTUALLY from,' when I am ethnically Chinese who was born and raised in Chicago, and whose parent was born and raised in Chicago. It's a cringy question, yes, but it's no worse than asking a heavy-set girl 'When are you expecting?'

Really, the microaggressions are equivalent hearing from Asian-American people from immigrant house holds that I am 'a bannana' or act 'too white.' If not worse, because they are going out of their way to mark me as different, and disapprove of my natural self expression.

I feel that, as an ethnic minority in the west, you really really have to choose where you fight your battles. As I stated before, the 'slanty eye' pose has less to do with making an overt insult to predominantly east Asian characteristics, and more to do with the social and cultural inexperience of these girls from Serbia, or the Spanish Basketball teams, or Argentinian footballers, or what have you. They are young athletes. I'm sure we all partook in cringe-worthy social activities that we regretted later as late-teens and early-20s individuals.

'Argentina is one of the most racist countries in the world.' Man, that's a loaded generalization. Do you think if, as a fan of the NBA, if I asked Manu Ginobili for an autograph, he'd be like 'No, I don't sign autographs for Chinese people?' I doubt it.

Yet here, in America, we have reporters here saying they are upset a Japanese racer won the Indie 500 on memorial day. Or much much worse, people graphiting the N-Word on Lebron James' home. That's some horrible actions taken with ill-will and anti-social intent.

When I was in Croatia last summer, people kept grabbing me in the club and asking me if I was Steve Aoki. A microaggression, definitely, but under the surface, people were genuinely trying to connect to me, dancing at some random night club in Split. They'd buy me drinks. There was laughter and camaraderie. I'd take that anyday over somebody spray painting racial slurs on my house and bailing.

Let's just say that Anticol is a fan of huge generalizations.

Fuck me, some people are obtuse af.

They're probably not going to go and burn a cross on a lawn. It doesn't mean it's not racist. They'll get flack for this and deservedly so, just like the Spanish ball team did a few years back.

Absolutely deserve to be called out on this shit because guess what, it'll make shitholes who do things like this and worse think twice.

The outrage police only seem to defend shitty things, you'd think they were disingenuous 😮

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I mean, does that mean we should accept Zwarte Piet?

I can understand if this is the first time there has been media attention on something like this and they don't know better, but it just keeps happening. At some point, you can only claim ignorance for so long.

I mean, does that mean we should accept Zwarte Piet?

I can understand if this is the first time there has been media attention on something like this and they don't know better, but it just keeps happening. At some point, you can only claim ignorance for so long.

Professional athletes aren't exactly known for their intellectual performances.

Funny enough, I am a 3rd generation Chinese American, and my girlfriend is Spanish/Catalan from Barcelona. I just see this and the Serbian team as silly and innocuous. In western and central europe, people don't have to deal with many other cultures other than your own. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things, they are waaaaaaaaaay more socially and culturally sensitive than China. Take my anecdotal experience for what it's worth, but I've had wonderful times partying and making friends in Spain and places like Croatia in comparison to China.

I know even being American and Chinese, and not speaking Chinese, people in China are very overtly rude towards me. There's a word or something like 'useless Chinese' that gets thrown around. That's pretty prejudice.

But at least you agree that this is racist, right?

We can't keep on coming with cultural inexperience as a legit excuse, cause they sure are experienced enough to know how to do racist actions.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Time for the daily reminder that you don't have to burning crosses in people's yards or stringing them up from tree's to be considered racist.

"Racist pose? How could they possibly make a pose that was rac- oh"

I can't believe the entire team thought that would be a good idea.

Edit: OK maybe not the entire team but still

Zoe

Do japanese/asian people even care if westerners do this?

mHImsEQ.jpg

Takuan

I'm pretty tall, so I get "Yo, Yao!" every now and then, despite him being retired 5+ years ago, and me being closer in height to the still-active (though less prolific) Jeremy Lin.

The only real issue I take with it is that I consider both individuals to be... not good-looking. However, it does open my eyes to the reality that for some people, we do look the same.

Do japanese/asian people even care if westerners do this?
As with most things, it depends who you ask.

gnomed

I did that when I was a kid, I thought I was being funny. As an adult I know its racist, we just didnt know better
That's the sad part right? We as grown ups understand that kids can be ignorant. We try to teach our kids manners and respect. But as a grown ass adult, we are held to a higher standards and should act accordingly. More often than not most fail that. Even in the society at large you can not excuse willlful ignorance especially when it comes to the law.

I hope you arent serious

I did that when I was a kid, I thought I was being funny. As an adult I know its racist, we just didnt know better

Nope, grew up in a hugely racist country. It was fight or succumb. And I did NOT lay anyone try shit with me after the first time. Even in Canada, where I live now. If people want to make an issue about it, I bring it to them.

Top Bottom