• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV's Urien coming 9.23 with dailies and some stage transitions

RM8

It kind of is. That's her entire thing. She's an actual idiot who poorly assesses situations, is quick to jump to conclusions and into action, and enjoys showing off her body. That's her character right there.

^^^This

You don't have to like her character...but, she DOES have a consistent personality..

There's always a dumb reason why female characters just must be half naked, lol. I'm guessing Mika breathes through her breasts and buttcheeks, same with Cammy. And really, having sexy outfits is okay, but it's lazy, boring and silly when sexy is actually the default and you can't escape it.

FluxWaveZ

There's always a dumb reason why female characters just must be half naked, lol. I'm guessing Mika breathes through her breasts and buttcheeks, same with Cammy. And really, having sexy outfits is okay, but it's lazy, boring and silly when sexy is actually the default and you can't actually escape it.

No, this is specifically about Laura. Have you not noticed that it's her entire personality? Look at her intro, her moves. Even her j.LK is designed around this.

I guess other excuses could be made for those other characters too, but I think they're more superficial than for Laura, whose entire character is (unfortunately?) based around this. Not that I actually care about maintaining the cleavage or anything. I'm just talking about how she was intentionally designed by Capcom's team.

LakeEarth

They buffed Dudley with every balance update, though.
They even gave him a whole new move!

Should've mentioned that Smug's Dudley wasn't the same Dudley as the one in SSFIV, yes.

I guess a better example would be T.Hawk in Super Turbo? Someone figured out how to make him work literally decades after the game's release.

RM8

No, this is specifically about Laura. Have you not noticed that it's her entire personality? Look at her intro, her moves. Even her j.LK is designed around this.

I guess other excuses could be made for those other characters too, but I think they're more superficial than for Laura, who's entire character is (unfortunately?) based around this.
But Laura exists in a game where she's not the exception, so instead of thinking "oh, I see, so this character revolves around that trait" it's easy to think "lol of course, just like the other ladies who are dressed like strippers".

There's always a dumb reason why female characters just must be half naked, lol.

It's...not that dumb. Many people IRL like showing off their bodies, so it's not that crazy for a character in game to do so...even if you feel that's just an excuse to show off sexy characters.

I mean, no one here has ever asked why Urien walks around in a thong...he just does. He the Vice President.

RM8

It's...not that dumb. Many people IRL like showing off their bodies, so it's not that crazy for a character in game to do so...even if you feel that's just an excuse to show off sexy characters.

I mean, no one here has ever asked why Urien walks around in a thong...he just does. He the Vice President.
People would start asking questions if we had 5 male characters in thongs, with camera angles that focus on their butts and stuff. And of course it could be that all of them could simply enjoy showing off their bodies, lol.

Not to mention Urien is wearing more clothes than the athletes that served as inspiration for his design.

But Laura exists in a game where she's not the exception, so instead of thinking "oh, I see, so this character revolves around that trait" it's easy to think "lol of course, just like the other ladies who are dressed like strippers".

Going by your earlier comment, where we can't escape 'sexy' - I have to agree, and that's not a bad thing. We are surrounded by sex & sexy in our everyday lives. I don't even bat an eye to these outfits. Showed them to my GF and asked her if she thought they were in any poor taste and not only did she not agree, she thought the female cast looked terrific and loved their outfits.

Not the entire female cast is dressed proactively. Most are, no question about that, but it isn't exclusively strippers. Also, we are surrounded by far worse on both TV and everyday culture, and those are real people 9/10, not digital 3D anime characters.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Going by your earlier comment, where we can't escape 'sexy' - I have to agree, and that's not a bad thing. We are surrounded by sex & sexy in our everyday lives. I don't even bat an eye to these outfits. Showed them to my GF and asked her if she thought they were in any poor taste and not only did she not agree, she thought the female cast looked terrific and loved their outfits.

Not the entire female cast is dressed proactively. Most are, no question about that, but it isn't exclusively strippers. Also, we are surrounded by far worse on both TV and everyday culture, and those are real people 9/10, not digital 3D anime characters.
Hey now, stop it.

They are not anime, ok?

RM8

By "escaping sexy" I mean that it's nice having a variety of costumes / designs, and designing everything with the sole intent of showing as much skin as possible is lazy, pandering and boring. And I'm glad I can have my male SF characters not dressed as strippers, but maybe that's just me :/

People would start asking questions if we had 5 male characters in thongs,

Hmm, maybe it not the game designers that are the issue then...but rather, "people"...

This is the same company that put Sagat in a speedo in SFxT...

(And, for the record, the male characters in SF5 aren't exactly afraid to show skin. Gief, Necalli, Alex, Dhalsim, Urien, Hot Ryu...Gill in story mode...)

with camera angles that focus on their butts and stuff.

Vega tight pants crotch cam during his win pose is very real.

Steroyd

If I recall, the Juri maintenance ended 2 or so hours early, so there's hope.

Yeah but that was only a character, this is Capcom's biggest update yet with dailies, unlockable colours and stage transitions.

...I'm expecting maintenance to be delayed by an extra 6 hours. -_-

By "escaping sexy" I mean that it's nice having a variety of costumes / designs, and designing everything with the sole intent of showing as much skin as possible is lazy, pandering and boring. And I'm glad I can have my male SF characters not dressed as strippers, but maybe that's just me :/

If the designers want to design a male character as a stripper, good for them. Urien is in a thong and I have never batted an eye towards it. I thought he was badass for it, if anything.

For the female cast, not everything is designed exclusively towards sexy. Several of the newer outfits for characters you describe as being strippers now have outfits that are far more 'conservative'. There is choice and variety there. Just because the default outfit might be revealing doesn't mean the choice ain't there.

As for the 'camera' sexualizing the cast - I have never agreed with that notion. In my everyday life, I encounter an innumerable amount of new people, and for the women, and due to my sexuality of being a straight man (I know, how terrible of me), my eyes will glance at butts and boobs before I even acknowledge or say hi to them. The thing is, just because my internal camera (my eyes) are checking out women doesn't mean I want to automatically sleep with them, or that I think less of them just because I have checked them out, regardless of what they are wearing.

I'm not the type of person that pre-judges someone based on what they wear or how they look.

Zackat

The guys feeling that bad about the women in this game got a good future in the MPAA
They don't offend me at all. Laura is achieving exactly what she was designed to do. It is also just really lazy and boring design. When the main characteristic of your character is boobs then you just made a boring character unless that is all you care for in games.

I main Laura because her gameplay is fun. Everything else is pretty forgettable.

I may go back to Birdie again now that I have improved my rush down a little for when it is required, or even try to pick up FANG. He has my favorite design by far. Very unique and memorable.

RM8

Hmm, maybe it not the game designers that are the issue then...but rather, "people"...

This is the same company that put Sagat in a speedo in SFxT...

(And, for the record, the male characters in SF5 aren't exactly afraid to show skin. Gief, Necalli, Alex, Dhalsim, Urien, Hot Ryu...Gill in story mode...)

Vega tight pants crotch cam during his win pose is very real.
Speedo alt Sagat in SFxT and fully clothed Vega crotch literally means males are just as sexualized as females? Really? We don't even have one single character that "was designed around showing off his body" with accompanying poses and angles. And that's a good thing BTW.

It kind of is. That's her entire thing. She's an actual idiot who poorly assesses situations, is quick to jump to conclusions and into action, and enjoys showing off her body. That's her character right there.

I think the best part of Story Mode for me was when Laura shows up carrying two mooks, immediately bullies her brother, and challenges Ken Masters because she thought he was bullying him first

Most of Karin's outfits show very little skin.

Chun Li's cop outfit is fully clothed and gotliek.

Ibuki wears shorts under her story mode dress (plus her classic outfit is coming).

All of Juri's outfits are fully clothed.

"Escaping sexy" is already very possible.

RM8

If the designers want to design a male character as a stripper, good for them. Urien is in a thong and I have never batted an eye towards it. I thought he was badass for it, if anything.

For the female cast, not everything is designed exclusively towards sexy. Several of the newer outfits for characters you describe as being strippers now have outfits that are far more 'conservative'. There is choice and variety there. Just because the default outfit might be revealing doesn't mean the choice ain't there.

As for the 'camera' sexualizing the cast - I have never agreed with that notion. In my everyday life, I encounter an innumerable amount of new people, and for the women, and due to my sexuality of being a straight man (I know, how terrible of me), my eyes will glance at butts and boobs before I even acknowledge or say hi to them. The thing is, just because my internal camera (my eyes) are checking out women doesn't mean I want to automatically sleep with them, or that I think less of them just because I have checked them out, regardless of what they are wearing.

I'm not the type of person that pre-judges someone based on what they wear or how they look.
So the camera in Street Fighter mimics your gaze in real life? That's kind of the point, lol.

Ibuki wears shorts under her story mode dress (plus her classic outfit is coming).

Escaping sexy requieres escaping three female characters, lol.

Skilletor

I can't believe you used Juri as an example of "escaping sexy."

Producer

Lol cmon bro, Juri's costumes are all sexy as fuck. Same with Chun, even her cop outfit. Not that i personally have a problem with it, just saying.

Speedo alt Sagat in SFxT and fully clothed Vega crotch literally means males are just as sexualized as females?

I didn't say that, but I bet you wish I did, lol. Trap card not activated. Sorry.

Really? We don't even have one single character that "was designed around showing off his body" with accompanying poses and angles. And that's a good thing BTW.

Besides the narcissist who literally calls himself beautiful, "dance fights", wears extremely tight form fitting clothing, and thrusts for the camera...you're right. Not a single one.

I can't believe you used Juri as an example of escaping sexy.

In terms of her outfits? Her default is shiny, okay, but her story and battle outfits? What's wrong with those?

RM8

I didn't say that, but I bet you wish I did, lol. Trap card not activated. Sorry.

Besides the narcissist who literally calls himself beautiful, "dance fights", wears extremely tight form fitting clothing, and thrusts for the camera...you're right. Not a single one.

In terms of her outfits? Her default is shiny, okay, but her story and battle outfits? What's wrong with those?
Vega even got a baggy shirt, and he's fugly in this game. Oh but wait, there's 2 second where the camera is close to his fully clothed crotch so he's literally Laura :p

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Are we really comparing Vega to these female outfits? Now that's some weird eye you have.

For me personally it's just Laura that's terrible. I also don't get what her quirky personality has got to do with it.

Vega even got a baggy shirt, and he's fugly in this game. Oh but wait, there's 2 second where the camera is close to his fully clothed crotch so he's literally Laura :p

I didn't say Vega is Laura.

You said:

We don't even have one single character that "was designed around showing off his body" with accompanying poses and angles.

You described Vega.

RM8

I didn't say Vega is Laura.

You said:

You described Vega.
But Vega doesn't show off his body? Lol he's actually one of the least revealing characters in this game, and if his characters revolves around sexy poses and angles, it's pretty lame that he has a crotch angle for like 2 seconds and that's it.

So the camera in Street Fighter mimics your gaze in real life? That's kind of the point, lol.

It's not just mine, btw. This is what we as human beings look at first and foremost, mostly cause we are an impulse driven species. Men get drawn to it for their sexuality, women get drawn to it to see how they compare. We do the same thing with the same sex and vice versa.

U state the camera replicates my eyes as if it's a negative. It ain't. In fact, the idea that I can handle this sort of titillation without it affecting me at all says more positive things about me than the person who is bothered by a minor form of cartoon titillation, let alone what titillation in reality might do to them.

RM8

It's not just mine, btw. This is what we as human beings look at first and foremost, mostly cause we are an impulse driven species. Men get drawn to it for their sexuality, women get drawn to it to see how they compare. We do the same thing with the same sex and vice versa.

U state the camera replicates my eyes as if it's a negative. It ain't. In fact, the idea that I can handle this sort of titillation without it affecting me at all says more positive things about me than the person who is bothered by a minor form of cartoon titillation, let alone what titillation in reality might do to them.
It's funny that you don't even consider that there are people who don't closely stare at breasts, and that because you do, it's aesthetically speaking a good fit for a street fighting video game. And I can think pandering designs are boring and lazy without "being bothered" BTW.

It's funny that you don't even consider that there are people who don't closely stare at breasts, and that because you do, it's aesthetically speaking a good fit for a street fighting video game. And I can think pandering designs are boring and lazy without "being bothered" BTW.

Sure, u can think they are boring and lazy. You don't though. You think way more of them than just that.

And yes, there are people who don't 'closely stare' at breasts/butts (I don't, unless u think a glance at a person's anatomy is now staring), but the overall majority of people do look at and enjoy looking at good looking people and images. We have entire forms of social media dedicated specifically to allowing people in doing so (Instagram). Not only that, this sort of aesthetic isn't new for either Street Fighter or street fighting video games in general. The audience largely has liked, been attracted to, and enjoys this aesthetic. Yes, there are people who don't, fine - but just because there are people who don't enjoy something doesn't mean all of a sudden that EVERYTHING about a product and it's design must change cause a group of people don't enjoy it for X reason.

RM8

Sure, u can think they are boring and lazy. You don't though. You think way more of them than just that.

And yes, there are people who don't 'closely stare' at breasts/butts (I don't, unless u think a glance at a person's anatomy is now staring), but the overall majority of people do look at and enjoy looking at good looking people and images. We have entire forms of social media dedicated specifically to allowing people in doing so (Instagram). Not only that, this sort of aesthetic isn't new for either Street Fighter or street fighting video games in general. The audience largely has liked, been attracted to, and enjoys this aesthetic. Yes, there are people who don't, fine - but just because there are people who don't enjoy something doesn't mean all of a sudden that EVERYTHING about a product and it's design must change cause a group of people don't enjoy it for X reason.
That's what always happens with these discussions - the need to convince oneself that there's something more than people thinking these outfits are bad. I'm going to guess, and you believe I'm Offended™ :p Then you keep pretending everyone is actually into polygonal breasts, and you close by acting as if Street Fighter has been known for its focus on sexualized characters from day one. No wonder some people genuinely couldn't grasp their heads around the whole ESPN thing with Mika, lol.

We need more characters like Urien. His overall design theme in SFV is definitely one that puts sexuality at the forefront. Both suits are skin tight, and the plunging necklines with his pecs bursting out, while not an explicitly overt display, are definitely meant to be enticing. And then his Battle Costume alt, which looked underwhelming in still photos, is actually highly erotic in motion. That scant piece of fabric that covers his pelvic area flips around with literally every movement exposing his skimpy loincloth underneath. This was definitely a conscious decision on the designer's part. And not that's it's seemingly confirmed that we can unlock his trademark SFIII thong in some fashion, I think the intended aesthetic direction for his character is clear.

I do definitely believe that the designs for the female characters in this game need some more variety and balance, but I also think that another way to provide said balance is to include some more sexualized outfits for the male characters, and I'm glad Urien is such an embodiment of that.

BlizzKrut

Banned
We need more characters like Urien. His overall design theme in SFV is definitely one that puts sexuality at the forefront. Both suits are skin tight, and the plunging necklines with his pecs bursting out, while not an explicitly overt display, are definitely meant to be enticing. And then his Battle Costume alt, which looked underwhelming in still photos, is actually highly erotic in motion. That scant piece of fabric that covers his pelvic area flips around with literally every movement exposing his skimpy loincloth underneath. This was definitely a conscious decision on the designer's part. And not that's it's seemingly confirmed that we can unlock his trademark SFIII thong in some fashion, I think the intended aesthetic direction for his character is clear.

I do definitely believe that the designs for the female characters in this game need some more variety and balance, but I also think that another way to provide said balance is to include some more sexualized outfits for the male characters, and I'm glad Urien is such an embodiment of that.

Hot Ryu kind of helps to that statement too.

pizzacat

Banned
guys can we go back to talking about aegis reflector pls
I would post that song but I'll probably et banned

Do you guys remember when someone took a picture of a figure of Urien doing chariot tackle and put it next to a sfiv screen and said Urien was coming

SFIV was this close to being good

628606870f65efa5c4720f8de947b0ce-650-80.jpg

1197524-14651_180716013649_515313649_2954771_2422295_n.jpg

Can't find the Urien one

Mik317

I think the worst part of Laura is that she doesn't do anything new. Her love of Fighting shtick is kinda already taken by Mika....as is her not being the sharpest knife in the drawer. So in the end she kinda has nothing going on really. This is magnified in the story mode in which only Alex has less going on (and at least he got a "hey you are going to be important someday" thing with Sim)...Laura could have been absent and everything would have been the same...which sucks since the other 3 newcomers got their time in the sun.

they could have fixed it by having her simply be less cheery. She could still have the same design. Same love for Sean. Same love for fighting but be less bubbly. And then she'd have a place in terms of filling a niche. But nope.

The design isn't the problem with Laura at all

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm not puritanical at all, but I'm slightly embarassed when I have to explain why having her tits hanging out is an important aspect of Laura's background and character.

"It's fan service in another dumb video game" usually works for me. ;P

RM8

"It's fan service in another dumb video game" usually works for me. ;P
Is it okay to not like fanservice? Legit question. Or does that make one inherently puritanical? I mostly don't get why people get so defensive during these discussions.

Top Bottom