• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV's Urien coming 9.23 with dailies and some stage transitions

pizzacat

Banned
Is it okay to not like fanservice? Legit question. Or does that make one inherently puritanical? I mostly don't get why people get so defensive during these discussions.
If you don't like fanservice doesn't that make you not a fan :3

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
What are your all thoughts, seriously; once season 1 is over, do you think there will be any more support for SFV as DLC?

pizzacat

Banned
WSO session from this week.

https://youtu.be/zyAUZtcETlQ

Go to around the 25 min mark to see them playing around with it.

Basically throw them into aegis and it OTGs them like Ibuki bombs, then super.

Obviously a lot of bar, but it's still 40%, and I'm sure non-super versions will be figured out.
this never worked for me in lab they added it in capcom lowkey giving Urien that power.

Id like to L tackle or headbutt, it might not hit but it would move them enough to get hit by aegis. He's so fun ._.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
It's been confirmed in their latest earnings call. We will most likely get more details at Capcom Cup or later.

Good. The launch was messy, but I really do love the fighting system and mechanics. Some of the upcoming nostalgia comics are wonderful. I feel like the game's economy is improving.

Is it okay to not like fanservice? Legit question. Or does that make one inherently puritanical? I mostly don't get why people get so defensive during these discussions.

You can not like fanservice, but don't expect something that has contained successfully fan service for over 20 years to suddenly not have it. It's just not a reasonable expectation to place on the developers or artists or fanbase of said product.

If you're not a fan of fanservice, SF is probably not for you, and it hasn't been for a long time.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag

I wonder the same thing about the people who don't like fanservice, too. Also you took what I said completely wrong.

AdaWong

I highly doubt they hired high profile voice actors (eg Michelle Ruff as C.Viper) for 3 lines in someone else's story mode. It's pretty obvious there's a season 2 composed majorly out of characters that appeared as "cameos" in other characters' stories.

Good. The launch was messy, but I really do love the fighting system and mechanics. Some of the upcoming nostalgia comics are wonderful. I feel like the game's economy is improving.

It's also been heavily alluded to in the CPT update post Haunts put on the PSBlog, specifically where he answers the question as to why they focused on finishing DLC content/stage transitions when there are so many other feature requests that fans have - short answer is that DLC content so far had been created in tandem with larger development efforts that we will be hearing about at a later point.

DR2K

Banned
I highly doubt they hired high profile voice actors (eg Michelle Ruff as C.Viper) for 3 lines in someone else's story mode. It's pretty obvious there's a season 2 composed majorly out of characters that appeared as "cameos" in other characters' stories.

Yeah if she isn't a season 2 character I'd be shocked.

Neoxon

They also cast Liam O'Brien as Gill, so take that for what you will.

RM8

You can not like fanservice, but don't expect something that has contained successfully fan service for over 20 years to suddenly not have it. It's just not a reasonable expectation to place on the developers or artists or fanbase of said product.

If you're not a fan of fanservice, SF is probably not for you, and it hasn't been for a long time.
That's nuts, SFIV and every single game before it had a much better ratio of fanservice. I got into gaming because of Street Fighter and it's disingenuous to pretend SFV didn't double down on fanservice.

I wonder the same thing about the people who don't like fanservice, too.
It's one thing not liking X, and it's an entirely different thing trying to shut down discussion about X.

pizzacat

Banned
That's nuts, SFIV and every single game before it had a much better ratio of fanservice. I got into gaming because of Street Fighter and it's disingenuous to pretend SFV didn't double down on fanservice.

It's one thing not liking X, and it's an entirely different thing trying to shut down discussion about X.
Better in what sense?

AdaWong

Yeah if she isn't a season 2 character I'd be shocked.

Yeah, the game has only 1 SFIV rep, and that game is the most popular SF ever. They gotta have more, and from the newcomers in SFIV Juri and Viper are the most popular. I'd say she's a lock, especially with her having three different costumes when Capcom revealed her card thing or whatever it's called lol. Probably her Story/Premium costumes.

Neoxon

Yeah, the game has only 1 SFIV rep, and that game is the most popular SF ever. They gotta have more, and from the newcomers in SFIV Juri and Viper are the most popular. I'd say she's a lock, especially with her having three different costumes when Capcom revealed her card thing or whatever it's called lol. Probably her Story/Premium costumes.
To be fair, beyond Viper, Juri, & (technically) Poison, not many of the SFIV guys are that popular. An argument could be made for Decapre & Abel, though.

Mik317

its not about shutting down discussion...its just that we have had the same damn discussion over and over again .

you don't like the fanservice. Others do. Some don't care either way.

OK?

now what?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
its not about shutting down discussion...its just that we have had the same damn discussion over and over again .

you don't like the fanservice. Others do. Some don't care either way.

OK?

now what?
Close the site? Because that's pretty much every discussion.

SfV doubled down on fanservice over 4? Ur talking about SF4, the game where it's 2nd female character announced wore a suit with a cleavage window? Or the game that introduced a the first Korean character, j
Juri, who was half-clothed (she is fully covered in SFV), or Poison & Elena? Continued schoolgirl Sakura despite it taking place years after the Alpha series?

Heck, SF3 features a lose-pose art with Elena and her ass is up in the air in a super sexual pose. SF3 also features Ibuki, a female ninja with holes in her pocket that show enough skin to let you know she isn't wearing underwear. The Alpha series, and SF Alpha 3 in particular, both established the Bison dolls and their half-naked and fully devoted servitude to their Lord Bison, with all of the sex-slave allusions that it draws. Not only do neither female character in SF2 not wear pants that cover their legs, but one of them doesn't have a win pose that doesn't fully showcase her butt.

SFV doesn't feature any level of fanservice that hasn't existed in the series before.

Mik317

Close the site? Because that's pretty much every discussion.

so we keep having the same exact back and fourths...often in threads that have fuckall to do with it?

yes this is a discussion site..I get that..but if the same people are saying the same thing...is that even a discussion at that point?

RM8

Better in what sense?
I feel like Poison was maybe the most sexualized female in the game, and now almost everyone is on that level. Cammy got bigger breasts and got rid of the few pants she had in her closet. Chun took her sexy SFIV dress and cut it in half. Juri dropped her baggy pants in favour of skin tight latex. We lost Makoto and got Mika. It's honestly a pretty blatant design choice - why is it so difficult to accept for some people?

VariantX

To be fair, beyond Viper, Juri, & (technically) Poison, not many of the SFIV guys are that popular. An argument could be made for Decapre & Abel, though.

I can definitely see rufus and fuerte on the chopping block. No models, story mode voice-overs, or cameos. They also have no history prior to SF4 to help them with the nostalgia factor either.

I feel like Poison was maybe the most sexualized female in the game, and now almost everyone is on that level. Cammy got bigger breasts and got rid of the few pants she had in her closet. Chun took her sexy SFIV dress and cut it in half. Juri dropped her baggy pants in favour of skin tight latex. We lost Makoto and got Mika. It's honestly a pretty blatant design choice - why is it so difficult to accept for some people?

this is still falling on a "less sexy = better" line of thought though.

AdaWong

True, it also doesn't help that the SFIV reps are just so tacky. That's one thing Tekken nails (usually, sans characters like LuckEh ^_* Kl03 [^o^]), the newcomers are usually instantly iconic (Lili/Raven in TK5, Alisa/Bob in TK6, Shaheen/Kazumi in TK7)

pizzacat

Banned
What you're not getting is that fanservice is wider than just TnA

SF4 has more fanservice than V because it's vanilla roster was SF2 + 6 garbage new characters + some alpha (woo)

Mik317

No, it's more in line with "MORE kinds of characters = better than mostly sexy characters".

I mean how about we wait and see what characters are added in season 2? Of the returning females (Chun, Cammy, Juri, Karin,Ibuki and Mika)...only 1 or 2 of them historically weren't initially designed to be sexy. Mika being highly requested (along w/\ Juri) and then Laura being a missed opportunity has skewed things a bit with the smaller cast size.

RM8

I mean how about we wait and see what characters are added in season 2? Of the returning females (Chun, Cammy, Juri, Karin,Ibuki and Mika)...only 1 or 2 of them historically weren't initially designed to be sexy. Mika being highly requested (along w/ Juri) and then Laura being a missed opportunity has skewed things a bit with the smaller cast size.
So you want me to not judge the existing game because of what might or might not exist in the future? This is what I mean by "shutting down the discussion". We can talk about the netcode, the disconnecters, survival mode, not being able to rebind keyboards on PC, loading times - but can we please leave the sexual pandering alone? :p

Mik317

That's not what I meant. I'm just saying that's a reason why it could seem to be more fanservicy to you. The small cast and specific returning request characters. And that perhaps as the cast expands the variety will as well

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I wonder if Urien doesnt have a crossup due possible Aegis Reflector shenanigans*

*Read on s-kill voice

RM8

That's not what I meant. I'm just saying that's a reason why it could seem to be more fanservicy to you. The small cast and specific returning request characters. And that perhaps as the cast expands the variety will as well
Hey, I hope! But it's kind of undeniable that the current roster feels super homogeneous in the sex appeal factor, and that veteran characters got a bit sexed up for this game. I think you can enjoy this while acknowledging it happened.

Hyun Sai

The only reason we had less sexyness in the past is because of technical limitation. I mean, Cammy showed her ass as soon as she came.

RM8

The only reason we had less sexyness in the past is because of technical limitation. I mean, Cammy showed her ass as soon as she came.
Cammy had alts with pants and smaller breasts just last time we saw her in SFIV, lol. See, no one is actually arguing that all the girls should be wearing burkas, but that the game got more fanservice-y this time around. And Cammy is not really a character I dislike, personally, but her role as the sexy SF gal is pointless when that's everyone's role :p

Where's the swimsuit outfits for the guys though, huh? Where are they.
They're not going to happen. Jeez, I hadn't even mentioned how females and only females got summer outfits. I respectfully disagree with the idea that SF had always been like this.

- J - D -

Where's the swimsuit outfits for the guys though, huh? Where are they. Thongs a plenty, courtesy of Urien but no one else gets them.

Aenima

There is nothing wrong with fanservice as long its not poorly executed and just trash like Laura.

Laura outfit is a stereotype of Brazilian women. Thers nothing trash about how Laura looks or dresses. Just do this experiment... google "Brazillian Women" and go see what kind of images you will see. Then tell me if Laura is more or less dressed than what u see.

Top Bottom