• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SFV's Urien coming 9.23 with dailies and some stage transitions

Mike M

Nick N
Yup. I had a bunch of PSN cards set aside for DLC, but I've resigned myself to spending no additional money on this game as their 4x price hike is ridiculous. I would be what they'd consider a whale in terms of cosmetic DLC, too. With the money I could spend to get just one battle costume for each of the core roster characters, I could buy KOF in full. I can't believe they arent even offering bundles.
Amen. I ate up those costume DLCs with 4 like candy, I didn't have a character in the roster that wasn't using an alternate costume and color. And I freaking *love* some of these alts, but I can't justify spending that much on a single costume : (

Those Chun and Ryu costumes are something huh? The Ryu one like someone said is the BEST/WORST but honestly I don't like how there basically completely different characters with those outfits, and I'm wholly against the idea of branding making it into the actual game, keep your sponsors on your ads, jersey's and tags but don't let that shit infect the game, or at least the characters.

Also I'm pretty uneasy about how these costumes are actually going to look in the game, changing the skin color of characters worked just fine when there sprites, but on these high-quality 3d models, that have actual distinct ethnic traits, could end up looking pretty weird.

Ryu already has a darker skin color in some of his other color costume.
Actually a lot of characters have varying degree of different shades of skin colors.

2 Asian characters dressed up in what is perceived as black ethnic clothing in darker skin tones. Like what isn't racist about this?

Even if I agreed with you that street-hooker feather boa Chun was an inherently black-associated outfit, which I don't, racism and cultural appropriation are totally different things.

It's a major pet peeve of mine when people confuse the two. Racism is when you're implying something about a group's genetics. Saying black people run fast is racist. Saying black people like hip hop clothing isn't. It might offend people, though.

Wild Card

Ryu already has a darker skin color in some of his other color costume.
Actually a lot of characters have varying degree of different shades of skin colors.

Yeah but that's like he got a tan, and for the record a lot of those look pretty bad too, like Laura's and Juri's.

Yeah and Arturo made the red bull ones
image.php

I've been down on this game pretty much any time it's been mentioned because of how much it was a disappointment to me, but it seems like Capcom are finally putting the pieces together to make it the game everyone hoped it would be rather than the game it turned out to be.

Might finally jump back in with this update since most of the problems I have with the game have been sorted. Still a bit salty about survival mode remaining awful and them circumventing complaints by just letting people pay to get around the wall, but it's not the end of the world.

That Necalli costume is strange. I feel like a lot of the recent Street Fighter costume packs from the end of SFIV until recent have been odd choices. They're not necessarily bad designs (though some of them certainly are), so much as not making much sense for the character they're on. Using this as an example - Why does Necalli have a Japanese samurai-esque outfit despite being a some sort of ancient supernatural force?

edit: Just read the above. I guess that explains it and it does look good even if it makes no sense. As long as we never reach SFIV furry outfit levels again, I'm good.

Kazunoko won Capcom cup. One of his prizes was to design a costume for his character Necalli.

poodaddy

Those Red bull costumes are so hilariously awful that I had to show them to my wife just to enjoy her anger. I covered the names on the pics with my thumb and had her guess who the characters were and she thought Ryu was El Fuerte and Chun Li was Poison; took my thumb off and when she saw Chun Lis name she got huffy as fuck, proclaimed that Ms. Li is dead to her and that Capcom killed her. My days off to a great start :D

Hyun Sai

Necalli costume is easy to justify. Being an ancient supernatural force he probably encountered some badass samurai at one time.

Makes much more sense than Thug life Ryu with bell on his head LMAO

FluxWaveZ

I have no idea why people are getting up in arms about this. To me, anything goes when it comes to costumes. Go the League of Legends route and go nuts with them. Limiting the selection to things that are "in character" or appropriate or whatever is lame.

The only issue I have with this is that Ryu and Chun-Li always seem to get a certain priority with these things, and the distribution for new costumes for the entire cast doesn't seem right.

DR2K

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";217274706]Even if I agreed with you that street-hooker feather boa Chun was an inherently black-associated outfit, which I don't, racism and cultural appropriation are totally different things.

It's a major pet peeve of mine when people confuse the two. Racism is when you're implying something about a group's genetics. Saying black people run fast is racist. Saying black people like hip hop clothing isn't. It might offend people, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm not offended. Youre just splitting hairs in my opinion, regardless these costumes are just hilariously offensive. Even if you ignore any prejudices and stigmas.

molnizzle

I'm not offended. Youre just splitting hairs in my opinion, regardless these costumes are just hilariously offensive. Even if you ignore any prejudices and stigmas.

I dunno, I think it's cool when they they do stuff like this. It lets people make their favorite character look more like they do if they want that.

Skab

"I'm not offended, but those costumes are offensive"

Gren

Meh, they're making more costumes for characters (albeit probably the most popular) that already have good alts. Bring on the SFIII throwbacks already. Been dabbling with Alex & I want to use a design that looks decent & fits in with the rest of the game.

All the costumes are awesome. Anyone offended by culture base costumes needs to lighten up. SF has always been based on different cultures and stereotypes. It's what makes all the characters so adored by everyone.

Love me some LL Cool Ryu!

Salt and Pepper Chun Like is hot!

Super Saiyan 3 Necalli, thank you!

pizzacat

Banned

wait wat

if youre not the one offended who is? do you have someone besides you just pointing out "yeah thats offensive fam, oh and that too" like what is this right now lmao

Meh, they're making more costumes for characters (albeit probably the most popular) that already have good alts. Bring on the SFIII throwbacks already. Been dabbling with Alex & I want to use a design that looks decent & fits in with the rest of the game.

alex looks like how this game has been represented

a nightmare orphanage of true dumpster fire mistakes

Gren

alex looks like how this game has been represented

a nightmare orphanage of true dumpster fire mistakes

Lol, that's true.

But I was referring to his popular mod, which uses the III look, but uses flatter textures that don't gel with the game's look.

pizzacat

Banned
Lol, that's true.

But I was referring to his popular mod, which uses the III look, but flatter textures that don't fit in..

oh yeah ive seen it

not that great

tbh I'm using this mod that takes off the suspenders and improves the model by like 13%

alex_no_jacket_and_suspenders_by_brutalace-dae5s4f.jpg

he goes from grunge man to just jeans man

DR2K

Banned
"I'm not offended, but those costumes are offensive"

You can call something racist, and not be personally offended. I know it's complicated. The fact that it's so oblivious and innocent in its implementation just makes it amusing to me.

Unknown?

This is stupid! If the costumes are offensive then so are most of the characters! Guile, Chun Li, Balrog, Vega, Dhalsim, and many more are stereotypes of different cultures.

I'd say anyone who's offended has a problem.

Amen. I ate up those costume DLCs with 4 like candy, I didn't have a character in the roster that wasn't using an alternate costume and color. And I freaking *love* some of these alts, but I can't justify spending that much on a single costume : (

Same here. The price hike is ridiculous, and the fact that you can't even earn them for free by playing only adds insult to injury. I went from buying most of the packs in 4 to avoiding the premium costumes in 5 like the plague.

It's one of many issues with SFV where I don't know what the fuck Capcom was thinking.

Rudiano

Banned
I used the PC mod that made the survival mode just 1 round for easy fight money lol just noticed now that Capcom took away all of my 500,000 fight money today :( but I got to keep every colour I unlocked and also all the characters too :) suck on that capcom

Top Bottom