• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor DF Face-Off

Vidpixel

If this game is considered "ugly" by some people, than this generation has the best looking "ugly" games I have ever seen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Then why are cards like the 7850 and the 750Ti able to outperform the PS4 at higher quality settings, even with the console advantage of low level optimizations? It's got to be the CPU, nothing else makes sense.
Since the game is capped at 30fps, we don't exactly know what the full performance is. If the trade show demos are any indication, they game was running unlocked near 60 on PS4 at some point but opted for full consistency at 30. This game isn't CPU intensive, either. Honestly, from what I've pieced together from dev interviews it sounds like the low level benefits this gen are more on the CPU side.

Derpcrawler

hUMA architecture, GDDR5, CPU use less resources for OS etc ( even is lower clock CPU frequency in PS4 ).

GPU is one of the main reason :

Xbone: 1.31 TF GPU (12 CUs) for games -56% less
Xbone: 768 Shaders -50.5% less
Xbone: 48 Texture units -50% less
Xbone: 16 ROPS -100% less
Xbone: 2 ACE/ 16 queues -400% less
Xbone: 13.65GPixels/s -88% less
Xbone: 40.90GTexels/s -40% less

PS4: 1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs) for games +56% more
PS4: 1152 Shaders +50.5%
PS4: 72 Texture units +50%
PS4: 32 ROPS + 100%
PS4: 8 ACE/64 queues 400%
PS4: 25.60GPixels/s +88%
PS4: 57.60GTexels/s +40%

MgiWpVZ.gif

When fanboys bend basic math to their agenda...

To be honest, I might be a bit interested in console convenience myself. I just wanted to point out that even a cheap PC not much more expensive than a PS4 can push similar graphics (and probably end up being cheaper in the long run, simply to match console performance).

Don't get me wrong

I love PC gaming.

I recently built one then sold it

Now I'm considering re-buying what I originally built but with a 960 GPU (if they'd hurry up)

I'm finding it really hard to get back to PC gaming though as I love portability & convenience (personal life) But I really want to...mainly because of kickstarters delivering (wasteland 2 for starters) and I don't have a damn PC to play them on!

In the mean time - the PS4 fills one hell of a niche!

Derpcrawler

Missing OS and drive to install OS. And 4GB RAM?

Why people don't care of the bluray player? It's a good value in the whole console price

You for realz? Last time I had DVD rom in my PC was 6 years ago, you know that since Windows 7 Microsoft provides USB stick image? Also on top of that, you can get OS for 15 bucks through MSDN keys or you can re-activate your other key if you have it on your old PC, even if it's OEM.

Even then, it was not the point, since the point was that with off the shelf retail (non OEM) parts you can build machine that will outperform both consoles.

Patroclos

Banned
What the hell? I've read many and many times people saying the PS4 version was 50~60fps! Not saying the rumours about the XB1 being 720p. I almost bought the PS4 verion for that!

So both versions are 30fps and the main difference is 900p vs 1080p? Thank you DF, the only one we cant trust!

I agree that as of now DF is pretty much the best at this. However, the differences seem significant to me as I game on a large TV. More worrying to me than the resolution on the XB1 is the vegetation and extra environmental assets that are absent. I said it in my other post that I fear this trend will become worse as devs attempt to reach Res/FPS by cutting in other more significant areas that have potential gameplay impact.

MS is going to have to be on their A game and be very involved in development/coding to help these outside devs like they did with Destiny and Diablo. As we saw with the new PES title anything that comes in low or poor in comparison looks bad and hurts their brand. Sending additional engineers for so many titles however is not something they have preplanned for obviously so that also puts them in a bad position.

Things honestly are starting to look pretty grim for them from my perspective, I game on a Mac, PS4, XB One, and a WiiU, by the way. As an owner I would prefer them to internalize and use all their assets to focus on exclusives that differentiates their brand and console. You know, MAKE experiences that can't be had elsewhere, not buy or spruce up others. That's the reason I own a WiiU. I do see that shift occurring but it may be too late.

Mr Moose

You for realz? Last time I had DVD rom in my PC was 6 years ago, you know that since Windows 7 Microsoft provides USB stick image?

Also on top of that, you can get OS for 15 bucks through MSDN keys or you can re-activate your other key if you have it on your old PC, even if it's OEM.

I said drive, not DVD/Blu-ray :p Could use anything (USB stick) but it would still cost money to buy it.

I think the problem with thr AA solution is that it basically nullifies the resolution boost the ps4 has over the xbox one version, due to it not beinga very crisp AA method.

erm, have you actually looked at the DF comparison gallery? The ps4 version has clearly and significantly sharper, more detailed textures. It's obvious in virtually every single screenshot. Ignore cherry picked examples here and go straight to the source, I say.

omonimo

Banned
You for realz? Last time I had DVD rom in my PC was 6 years ago, you know that since Windows 7 Microsoft provides USB stick image?

Also on top of that, you can get OS for 15 bucks through MSDN keys or you can re-activate your other key if you have it on your old PC, even if it's OEM.
You have a bluray player on console, you don't care but in the whole price adds a value
Your Ps4 can do Spreadsheets? Talking about moving goalposts.
I missed the logic there.

Derpcrawler

You have a bluray player on console, you don't care but in the whole price adds a value

Not for me as gamer, since peolpe brush off other benefits of PC - such as Office tools and productivity, I can brush off all the fluff like Blu Ray players.

Kilau

Gold Member
You for realz? Last time I had DVD rom in my PC was 6 years ago, you know that since Windows 7 Microsoft provides USB stick image? Also on top of that, you can get OS for 15 bucks through MSDN keys or you can re-activate your other key if you have it on your old PC, even if it's OEM.

Even then, it was not the point, since the point was that with off the shelf retail (non OEM) parts you can build machine that will outperform both consoles.

Why ignore the blu-ray drive in consoles just because it isn't necessary for everyone with a PC.

Some people have crap internet and still need disc based installs. Both consoles are good blu-ray players, something that isn't super easy to achieve with a PC.

Yes I have a blu-ray drive in my PC.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Just look at what you wrote:

"You have a bluray player on console, you don't care but in the whole price adds a value".

A Bluedriveless PC has shit ton more of added value than what a closed console can hope for.

Derpcrawler

Why ignore the blu-ray drive in consoles just because it isn't necessary for everyone with a PC.

Some people have crap internet and still need disc based installs. Both consoles are good blu-ray players, something that isn't super easy to achieve with a PC.

Yes I have a blu-ray drive in my PC.

Again, people chose to ignore things like productivity and price advantages of PC gaming, I chose to ignore non-gaming fluff. I swear, some people don't even hide their bias or agenda anymore, despite making themselves look like tools.

Vidpixel

If this game is considered "ugly" by some people, than this generation has the best looking "ugly" games I have ever seen.

Sorry for quoting myself, but I just realized that I used the wrong form of "then" and it grossed me out so much that I felt the need to point it out.

R_Deckard

Looking at my own screenshots, the PC version does appear to have motion blur but the effect seems to be a bit random. It could be a bug then.
It doesn't.

This game was unlocked at egx and probably had no motion blur (cannot remember now) on ps4. But with it running like my PC version does on the same settings (without the sudden stutters if using high textures) around 45fps with dips to low 30's commons it was more solid to motion blur and lock to 30. And that in itself is more resource use than the extra foliage. Pretty sure this could have ran around the same rate as second son on ps4 and an option to turn motion blur off and unlock should have been left in the option. Ie like TLOU enable 30 improves shadows enable 30 turns on motion blur.

If anyone from monolith is in here can you answer why this was changed at the last minute? And can it Ben added in with a patch?

Kssio_Aug

I agree that as of now DF is pretty much the best at this. However, the differences seem significant to me as I game on a large TV. More worrying to me than the resolution on the XB1 is the vegetation and extra environmental assets that are absent. I said it in my other post that I fear this trend will become worse as devs attempt to reach Res/FPS by cutting in other more significant areas that have potential gameplay impact.

MS is going to have to be on their A game and be very involved in development/coding to help these outside devs like they did with Destiny and Diablo. As we saw with the new PES title anything that comes in low or poor in comparison looks bad and hurts their brand. Sending additional engineers for so many titles however is not something they have preplanned for obviously so that also puts them in a bad position.

Things honestly are starting to look pretty grim for them from my perspective, I game on a Mac, PS4, XB One, and a WiiU, by the way. As an owner I would prefer them to internalize and use all their assets to focus on exclusives that differentiates their brand and console. You know, MAKE experiences that can't be had elsewhere, not buy or spruce up others. That's the reason I own a WiiU. I do see that shift occurring but it may be too late.

I agree. Its really a very personal preference of mine to get a game on XB1 if the difference is not soo big, because I like the system more (snap center, skype and achievements). But I am very disappointed with what has been spread all over the internet... I mean, I cant believe that were a decent number of people that played SoM on PS4 and trully believed it was 50~60fps, and then others thought the XB1 was 720p and 30fps.

Indeed I can see the PS4 version of the game is the better one, so I can imagine most will buy the PS4 version if they can. However it is not the gap it was being spread all over there... 900p/30 and 1080p/30, even with some other differences, is very different then 720/30 and 1080p/60. After this event, I wont believe any rumour about graphical differences between both platforms, till DF proves its truthfulness.

Derpcrawler

Seems you don't like to hear the others things on the ps4 hardware have a cost.

The total cost of PS4 is more than 400 bucks, since Sony sells HW at loss and makes up on software sales. OEM 2.5 inch BD cost around 15 bucks. I stand correct, but keep going on about Blu Ray and why it nullifies the fact, that PC built from retail off shelf products outperform closed box console for very similar total price.

le.phat

So what exactly have you proven? This is a pile of stuff for 400 bucks.

My 400 euro box comes pre assembled, with a controller, thing like remoteplay, a streaming device, and most importantly, it comes with the guarantee that the games down the road will run. No tweaking or tinkering needed. If it's on my console i can play it.

These arguements where people try to debunk console hardware with a bunch loose shit that presumeably run better then my console are terrible arguements. Console gamers have different expectations then hardware enthusiasts. What you might think is easy and fun ( assembling the systems, tinkering with drivers, settings, patches, config files, tuning every game to max out the performance), are terrible and boring experiences to others.

omonimo

Banned
Just look at what you wrote:

"You have a bluray player on console, you don't care but in the whole price adds a value".

A Bluedriveless PC has shit ton more of added value than what a closed console can hope for.
Because people buy console just to play. & in the whole package you have a bluyray player. It's called 'deal'. It cost at the end to have it on pc. It's that tough to understand the ps4 without bluray would cost less?

AmFreak

This has some validity, but if nobody on the pc side uses it, why add it in?
Should we also add a ps4 controller to the pc cost or a hdmi cable or whatever else is in the box?
Even if we included it, it would be a pretty screwed comparison, it may cost them 10€, but it costs a consumer 40€ just cause nobody on the pc side cares about blu-ray.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Because people buy console just to play. & in the whole package you have a bluyray player. It's called 'deal'. It cost at the end to have it on pc. It's that tough to understand the ps4 without bluray would cost less?

I would like a cheaper Ps4 without bluray (and the HDD, so I can install the one i like). Where's the option? In PC you have that, options. Added value of being an open platform.

Kilau

Gold Member
Again, people chose to ignore things like productivity and price advantages of PC gaming, I chose to ignore non-gaming fluff. I swear, some people don't even hide their bias or agenda anymore, despite making themselves look like tools.

Are you being contradictory to prove a point? Or can you just not see the irony?

So what exactly have you proven? This is a pile of stuff for 400 bucks.

My 400 euro box comes pre assembled, with a controller, thing like remoteplay, a streaming device, and most importantly, it comes with the guarantee that the games down the road will run. No tweaking or tinkering needed. If it's on my console i can play it.

These arguements where people try to debunk console hardware with a bunch loose shit that presumeably run better then my console are terrible arguements. Console gamers have different expectations then hardware enthusiasts. What you might think is easy and fun ( assembling the systems, tinkering with drivers, settings, patches, config files, tuning every game to max out the performance), are terrible and boring experiences to others.

That's not the point at all. The main point was that the games runs well, even on modest PCs.

Apathy

The fuck happen in this thread? Geeze can we have one comparison thread that does not devolved into trying to build a PC?

Biker19

Banned
As it is, it's PC > PS4 > Xbox One. If you don't own a good gaming PC like myself, then it isn't all lost exactly.

Good analysis. I hope MS sends engineers to monolith for the sequel. They need to attain parity.

With PS4 having a higher install base? Good luck with that.

omonimo

Banned
This has some validity, but if nobody on the pc side uses it, why add it in?
Should we also add a ps4 controller to the pc cost or a hdmi cable or whatever else is in the box?
Even if we included it, it would be a pretty screwed comparison, it may cost them 10€, but it costs a consumer 40€ just cause nobody on the pc side cares about blu-ray.
I understand perfectly. But a lot of pc enthusiast forget a rig at 399 most of the times not guarantee all the games released on console will works fine in that pc. This why it's quite a stupid comparison.

When the market can sustain consoles with an $800 price tag, maybe then 60fps will become a new standard. It's apples to oranges.

The standard is that you can push more at half the frame rate. What's in the consoles becomes irrelevant. This gen hardware demolishes the previous one and developers still have the same mindset as they did 9 years ago.

Mahonay

Banned
The fuck happen in this thread? Geeze can we have one comparison thread that does not devolved into trying to build a PC?
I'm with you, but it's kind of entertaining to read at least. Some of the logic being presented is...creative.

Patroclos

Banned
I agree. Its really a very personal preference of mine to get a game on XB1 if the difference is not soo big, because I like the system more (snap center, skype and achievements). But I am very disappointed with what has been spread all over the internet... I mean, I cant believe that were a decent number of people that played SoM on PS4 and trully believed it was 50~60fps, and then others thought the XB1 was 720p and 30fps.

Indeed I can see the PS4 version of the game is the better one, so I can imagine most will buy the PS4 version if they can. However it is not the gap it was being spread all over there... 900p/30 and 1080p/30, even with some other differences, is very different then 720/30 and 1080p/60. After this event, I wont believe any rumour about graphical differences between both platforms, till DF proves its truthfulness.

Lol. Sorry, most of that post wasn't directed at you. More venting a bit about how I am sad to the One is quickly becoming a go to for me for exclusives only. Dammit I want something awesome for it. I guess I shouldn't complain SSO is coming soon (man I hope it is good) and the new Forza is out but I don't do driving games. Oh well, regardless, It will be worth the purchase for MCC alone for me.

The PC vs console thing has been going on for 25 years now. It'll never end, never change, until Consoles become obsolete. Give it another 15-25 years.

Derpcrawler

Are you being contradictory to prove a point? Or can you just not see the irony?

The irony is that you grasping the straws and completely missed the point of my post, since I've put those points. I game on consoles, but some fanboys trying to defend the fact that consoles, while cost the same, perform worse than similar priced PC from retail is just hilarious.

That's because he cropped the image and zoomed up 2x. PS4 is a little soft but not this soft. Looks much sharper in the original pic.

This. I hate it when people never go to the actual DF article and check out the plentiful comparison shots themselves (videos are too compressed to really ascertain anything), instead relying on cherry picked examples. To my eyes there is a quite a big difference between the xone and ps4 version. Pc shots are too aliased for my liking.

thelastword

Banned
I took some screens too without manipulating camera angles to hide ugly things

iwDlRaJ5TKiBx.png

ib1umfeIDLRFkE.png

ibdTQkXdirtqLG.png

Of course it could get a lot nicer in the environments later on. I already quit because it's yet another Ubisoft bar filling game with A for awesome button combat. And yes I know Ubisoft didn't make it. Coulda fooled me.
Funny thing is that the PS4 screens look much better than these pc screens you posted. Is it also not quite noticeable that this game has a very good implementation of AF on the PS4 and no one is talking about it, had it been missing, I'm sure you would have the typical "another PS4 game with no AF" snide remark.

So many pc gamers in this thread talking about how great it runs on middling hardware but fail to admit that the games are locked on PS4 and XBONE, there's no way to know their actual framerate in that instance. Since there's no framedrops on either, it's highly likely that the bone runs it at 35-45 fps unlocked and the PS4 runs it at 45-60fps (that part is a guess though). Pc gamers should also realize that the Pc version is also running this game without motion blur or AA which adds another 15-20fps to their framerate.

Anybody who really wants to compare this thing fairly, should ask the devs to remove the motion blur and AA on the PS4 version and run it through a frametest unlocked, then compare it to different pc configs. I'm sure the ps4 version would easily run at 60+ fps too at 1080p.

Kssio_Aug

Lol. Sorry, most of that post wasn't directed at you. More venting a bit about how I am sad to the One is quickly becoming a go to for me for exclusives only. Dammit I want something awesome for it. I guess I shouldn't complain SSO is coming soon (man I hope it is good) and the new Forza is out but I don't do driving games. Oh well, regardless, It will be worth the purchase for MCC alone for me.

Even if you dont like driving games I would recommend you to try FH2 demo if you havent. Awesome game! =) But yeah, this month there is SSO!

Than correct me. Not write post like that one. Those specs snaking around here pretty long time, since launch.

Okay think about it like this..

If you have a stock trading at 50 dollars and the price jumps to 100 dollars, that's a 100 percent capital gain.
If the stock goes back to 50 dollars, that's only a 50% capital loss. Not a 100% capital loss.
That would mean the dropped to 0.

Apply that to those wonky percentages you used.

Kilau

Gold Member
The irony is that you grasping the straws and completely missed the point of my post, since I've put those points. I game on consoles, but some fanboys trying to defend the fact that consoles, while cost the same, perform worse than similar priced PC from retail is just hilarious.

You have me confused with another poster, I have grasped at no straws.

I simply asked why ignore the blu-ray player in consoles, you didn't provide one simple reason and instead got all heated with name calling.

If you want to be stuck in the world of comparing PC vs. Console intangibles then go ahead. I was simply asking about hardware.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So many pc gamers in this thread talking about how great it runs on middling hardware but fail to admit that the games are locked on PS4 and XBONE, there's no way to know their actual framerate in that instance. Since there's no framedrops on either, it's highly likely that the bone runs it at 35-45 fps unlocked and the PS4 runs it at 45-60fps (that part is a guess though). Pc gamers should also realize that the Pc version is also running this game without motion blur or AA which adds another 15-20fps to their framerate.

Anybody who really wants to compare this thing fairly, should ask the devs to remove the motion blur and AA on the PS4 version and run it through a frametest unlocked, then compare it to different pc configs. I'm sure the ps4 version would easily run at 60+ fps too at 1080p.
Huh? Sorry, but the bolded isn't based on anything and very likely BS. And the AA solution on the Ps4 looks like shit imo. And the fact is that the XB/Ps4 are locked to that framerate, and nothing the end user can do about that.

Top Bottom