• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor DF Face-Off

Eusis

RE4 and DMC3 weren't.
Admittedly RE4 seemingly got justice later on, but yeah some ports truly ARE awful, nevermind much older ones that had fundamental issues unavoidable on PC hardware at that point in time, I'm pretty sure Mega Man X wasn't as smooth on DOS as SNES for instance.

StuBurns

Banned
RE4 and DMC3 weren't.
No idea about DMC3, but the PC version of RE4 was basically the PS2 version, but in HD. One could argue that some of the lighting touches which were missing when compared to the Gamecube version were of greater value than greater image quality and more content, but I certainly wouldn't agree.

Corpekata

Banned
DMC 3 to this day has some unsolvable bug that makes the game frame drop during certain music. You have to delete files to get it to play right. Far better off with PCSX2ing it or the HD collection.

catbrush

DF's performance analysis is more useful than a notch in a gaming platform's metaphorical belt.

People have different circumstances to account for. I have a powerful gaming PC and a PS4. Generally I prefer buying games for PS4, because my PC is in my office and I prefer playing in my living room. However, if the PC version of a game was vastly superior to the PS4 version, I would consider buying that version, or double-dipping down at some point.

All I'm trying to say is that the analysis is useful beyond fanboyant purposes, and if you feel upset when your platform of choice "loses" a comparison... well, you should take deep breath and really question why you are getting emotional about the performance of a piece of software.

Shin-Ra

Here's an APNG of the foliage screenshot.

http://abload.de/img/hz1y36.png
The fluffy edges and neck of the cloak are fluffier on PS4! The resolution difference is pretty clear on the distant cages, too.

edit: the fluffiness is more noticeable in these two shots:

i7KDtTxzyitiq.png
ilFwt22dUc92L.png

Lol at this thread.

"PC can be stronger than a PS4, so we shouldn't compare it ever again! (And not all PC's can run it in ultra, so PS4 technically wins)"

"Wow PS4 version is better than the Xbone? Let's just keep doing these face-offs because that might change in the future!"

That hypocritical reasoning made sense last gen since 360/PS3 were a lot closer in power, but considering just how stronger the PS4 is, we really shouldn't need these face-offs in the first place no? Now that reasoning is only used by PS4 owners who hate being in 2nd place.

These face-offs are always interesting because it's cool to see what settings are used in the console versions, what features are in what version etc. but it always seems to turn into these fights.

Comparing PCs and their hundreds of possible configurations is, and has always been stupid. My PC would choke if required to run this game, and guess what?! The immense majority of PC users have modest machines, a far cry from the ones that serve to highlight the difference in power...the enthusiasts' tools, you know. Consoles are what they are and comparing them is logical in this instance : They cost the same; target the same market; they launched around the same time...

Aroll

Basically - optimized across the board - PC will always win (duh), and PS4 will always be technically better than the Xbox One. Still, the fact they say that when you have them playing next to eachother it's really hard on the surface to see the differences, it lets you know that at least console wise, it's not really a big deal. Sure, still shots and such we can point to differences between the XBO and PS4 versions, but at the end of the day, both run well, look great, and produce a quality video gaming experience. That's what really counts.

mintylurb

The fluffy edges and neck of the cloak are fluffier on PS4! The resolution difference is pretty clear on the distant cages, too.

But the x1 version has a rock on the ground which is missing from the ps4 version.
x1 > ps4.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The DF articles on Lego Hobbit and The Lego Movie read like PS4 wins over PC, but then DF weaseled out and didn't pick winners.

Tagyhag

All you would have to do to find out who won, is look at the tags for the 8th generation of games here, or for the 7th generation of games here.

That is very cool, just glossing over it and it seems very accurate.

Comparing PCs and their hundreds of possible configurations is, and has always been stupid. My PC would choke if required to run this game, and guess what?! The immense majority of PC users have modest machines, a far cry from the ones that serve to highlight the difference in power...the enthusiasts' tools, you know. Consoles are what they are and comparing them is logical in this instance : They cost the same; target the same market; they launched around the same time...

I see where you're coming from, but unless it's an e-peen competition, it really doesn't matter.

Face-Offs are what each version can bring to the table, it only makes sense that we see what a good PC can do. Why compare the PC version at lowest settings or a PC built with an arbitrary budget? That's not what PC gaming is about. Sure there's hundreds of different variations, but they at least show you the different settings.

A normal gamer will want to see a game at its very best, a petty one will want to see their version as the very best.

I'm not justifying the gloating over the PC version. I think that unless someone is being very light-hearted about it, it reeks of insecurity. I'm just saying that asking for a budget PC or for the system to be out of DF Face-offs entirely is completely inane.

StuBurns

Banned
I see where you're coming from, but unless it's an e-peen competition, it really doesn't matter.

Face-Offs are what each version can bring to the table, it only makes sense that we see what a good PC can do. Why compare the PC version at lowest settings or a PC built with an arbitrary budget? That's not what PC gaming is about. Sure there's hundreds of different variations, but they at least show you the different settings.

A normal gamer will want to see a game at its very best, a petty one will want to see their version as the very best.

I'm not justifying the gloating over the PC version. I think that unless someone is being very light-hearted about it, it reeks of insecurity. I'm just saying that asking for a budget PC or for the system to be out of DF Face-offs entirely is completely inane.
Just a budget PC is as pointless as what they do now.

I'd like to see them put together three PC specs based on the best selling PC components per year (all actually intended for gaming though, not including cheap all-in-one machines dedicated to Facebook and Peggle). PC is always still going to win, that's fine, it should, but what they currently do is pointless. They're even capping FR at 30fps, what the fuck. I would give up every setting before compromising 60fps, as would a great deal of people.

Always wounder why little things like placement of ground rocks and the color of certain textures are different between consoles. While I own a PS4 and Xbox One I do most of gaming on PC. Can't go back to sub 60fps gaming especially with games like Mordor where i'm swinging around the camera so often.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But on PS3/360 it was because the PS3 was mega bad at alpha blended textures compared to the 360.

Now that they are both on GCN and mostly play in the same realm, even though they have some memory size and bandwidth differences (in addition to the API) they mostly should scale similarly, until you hit the eSRAM size limit.

If memory serves, the reason the PS3 is comparatively bad at alpha-blended textures is because of the RSX's memory bandwidth deficiency versus the Xenos. Obviously the X1 GPU setup versus that of the PS4 isn't on the same level, but as you say yourself, there is a gap.

Rourkey

Basically - optimized across the board - PC will always win (duh), and PS4 will always be technically better than the Xbox One. Still, the fact they say that when you have them playing next to eachother it's really hard on the surface to see the differences, it lets you know that at least console wise, it's not really a big deal. Sure, still shots and such we can point to differences between the XBO and PS4 versions, but at the end of the day, both run well, look great, and produce a quality video gaming experience. That's what really counts.
You won't last long here with that attitude son

How come this discussion of getting PC off the comparisons came up with this game now and not with prior titles like say Battlefield 4?

It's weird, isn't it?

You guys are missing the point of both these articles and PC gaming in general.

- First of all, this isn't 2006 when some people thought that PC gaming was dying. Tons of people game on PC and if DF was arbitrarily excluding the platform from face offs there would be a significant backlash and most likely accusations of corruption.

- The point of these articles is to show people the kind of graphical quality and framerate they can get on every platform the game is released on. It's useful information for multiple platform owners or for those who are trying to decide on which platform to invest their money in.

- The PC's always evolving tech means that today's high end PCs are tomorrow's low end ones. It doesn't matter if your PC can't achieve the Ultra level of quality today, it will certainly be able to tomorrow. So knowing what kind of quality you can reach is still very useful information for those considering the purchase of a PC or the upgrade of their existing one.

- We don't need DF to tell us how a PC game runs on different hardware configurations, there are tons of great sites out there that provide us with that information and have been doing so for years.

- The way DF conducts its comparisons is still favorable to consoles. Some people are still clinging to the antiquated belief that a gaming PC costs thousands upon thousands of dollars. So when DF says "undeniable PC victory if you have the specs" those people think " oh man, I can't afford that so a console will have to do" when in reality a more thorough comparison would show that even low end cards like the 750Ti are able to match or outperform both next gen consoles.

KKRT00

Just a budget PC is as pointless as what they do now.

I'd like to see them put together three PC specs based on the best selling PC components per year (all actually intended for gaming though, not including cheap all-in-one machines dedicated to Facebook and Peggle). PC is always still going to win, that's fine, it should, but what they currently do is pointless. They're even capping FR at 30fps, what the fuck. I would give up every setting before compromising 60fps, as would a great deal of people.
No, they dont.
They actually say that its better to drop some options for 60hz.

"You can try pushing your luck by pushing texture detail higher - for example, we tried running high quality textures on a 2GB GTX 760 working in combination with the 30fps lock option. This may give your hardware time to swap in the textures in and out of GDDR5 without too much stutter, but results could vary - as we found when running ultra textures on the 3GB GTX 780 Ti. Our recommendation would be to target 60fps if you can, and take the hit to texture quality by following Monolith's recommendations on texture settings."

BibiMaghoo

As someone that games on both PS4 and PC, I find the comparison between the two useful and relevant. Not because if I ran the game on PC it would look like the DF screens, because it wouldn't, as my PC is not great. But because I can see what the maximum or high level PC version looks like before I would need to tone it down in settings. If the screens show a vast amount of difference between the two versions, then I know to get it on PS4, as it will likely perform better than my PC. If they are close, it means my choice is greater, as chances are my PC with lower settings will still look pretty good.

This may not make a great deal of sense to most, as you likely all have a better card than me, but it is good for me to know when thinking about what system I will buy a game for. There are other factors, but it certainly helps me decide.

wazoo

The immense majority of console owners have ps3 and X360. So following your point we should compare the ps3/x360 version to the low end PC version because these are the most widespread configurations on both sides.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

Jeez you know when your squinting at your 1080p monitor to see some jaggies on a cage in the distance that you should be losing faith in yourself. I can see the difference but it in no way ever looks like 44 percent lesser of an image.

It's crazy. I can see on his jacket too, but this more than anything proves to me that 900p vs 1080p is no where near as big as people make out. IMO

Omni

Why the disparity in foliage between the consoles?

I guess I don't know how these things work. I kinda assumed that such a thing was dependant on RAM. :lol

Patroclos

Banned
Why the disparity in foliage between the consoles?

I guess I don't know how these things work. I kinda assumed that such a thing was dependant on RAM. :lol

They are starting to make cuts in other areas to boost FR & Res. Extra particle effects and object density are prime candidates for sacrifice to achieve that goal. First game to do so since Ghosts in my recollection. It has begun.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
They are starting to make cuts in other areas to boost FR & Res. Extra particle effects and object density are prime candidates for sacrifice to achieve that goal. First game to do so since Ghosts in my recollection. It has begun.

It has begun lol. I like it

pixlexic

Banned
The game is pretty 'meh' looking on PS4 from what I have seen, even looking a bit last gen in places.

I disagree. the scope of the land and the lighting and superb.
You have to remember this isn't a little area masked by buildings.

I ready to see what they can do for the last gen ports.

Vitor711

I'd love to see an in-depth look at order independent transparency and its performance impact.

Over 10% performance hit for me. Hair looks slightly worse without it when viewing models up close, like in Sauron's Army. I decided the trade off wasn't worth it.

VanWinkle

I disagree. the scope of the land and the lighting and superb.
You have to remember this isn't a little area masked by buildings.

I ready to see what they can do for the last gen ports.

Yeah I think it's one of the best looking multiplatform games released yet on the PS4, if not the best.

Yeah I think it's one of the best looking multiplatform games released yet on the PS4, if not the best.

Is there much competition in that department yet? AC Unity looks like it might be the first really impressive looking multiplat game on next gen systems. That is if it is not gimped compared to what we have seen. I do think this game looks nice however.

Top Bottom