• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

nibblemonkey

Neo Member
Find it odd that it needs 6GB for ultra when games like Ryse say they only need 2GB. has anyone got a copy yet and used something like Afterburner to actually see if it does use this much VRAM?

R1CHO

I guess we will have to wait and see the benchs.

It's kind of weir imo that this game asks for that much, because from the gameplay videos, it doesn't seem to be very rich in variety of assets to be honest.

Damn you, VRAM. I'm at 1440p on a 2GB 670 so I'll probably have to stick it on low textures. As long as the low setting doesn't look like Watch Dogs' low textures then I'll probably be OK with it.

NotUS

I like this trend.

Should make for some great looking open world games in 2015.

I would be very happy for Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Mass Effect 4, Battlefield 5, GTA6 and the next Elders Scrolls to offer Ultra Textures requiring 6b Vram.

Let's really take the next leap in visuals.

DieH@rd

Banned
Ah... PC gamers, always wanting to play with max settings.

Every year complaints come when devs introduice some new requirement [DX11 only, 64bit only, 8core only, 8gb of ram only]. Now many complain because of totally optional VRAM setting. :)

PS4 will use ~4GB of VRAM and not more, devs get ~5GB for entire game out of 8GB GDDR5.

Carlius

Banned
I guess we will have to wait and see the benchs.

It's kind of weir imo that this game asks for that much, because from the gameplay videos, it doesn't seem to be very rich in variety of assets to be honest.

i agree. i call bullshit and i call bad optimization and an excuse to not optimize it for the platform. well see though, hopefully am wrong. i would love pc games to push hardware now, since its been held back for so long.

that's not how I roll son-lol

I was going to finally bite the bullet on upgrading my 680 sli this weekend, but seeing this, TEW and in Fear of what the Witcher 3 recommended for über settings has cast a giant shadow of doubt over upgrading now.

If I'm playing on PC I'm playing on ultra- :)

That makes no sense at all. If it's a console you are fine with a sub-par experience but if it's PC it has to be max settings? Even though this game obviously doesn't expect a lot of people to hit those settings? To each their own but that seems like a strange thing to do. The PC version on High will more than likely still be the better version, plus you have the option of 120fps or 1440p or any other number of graphical features not available on the console versions.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
You guys freaking out for ten pages because you can't max out one setting you don't know the benefit of is parody level PC gamer ridiculousness.

Learn that you will not always max out everything. Be ok with that. Let the disappointment wash over and cleanse you.

BONKERS

Skryim with most textures at 4k resolution doesn't even use 6gb of VRAM. Ultra in this game had better be 8k textures to justify that VRAM requirement. Unless they're loading every texture in the game at once? Which would be pretty silly.

Not to mention the metric fuck ton of texture aliasing,shimmering/moire it would cause.

Though if they were using Mipmaps proper. Why would the max mips be even loaded all at once to begin with??? Mipmap transition streaming is a nonexistent issue.

That makes no sense at all. If it's a console you are fine with a sub-par experience but if it's PC it has to be max settings? Even though this game obviously doesn't expect a lot of people to hit those settings? To each their own but that seems like a strange thing to do. The PC version on High will more than likely still be the better version, plus you have the option of 120fps or 1440p or any other number of graphical features not available on the console versions.
PC gamers are crazy :)
welcome to things that don't make sense

I have played games with my setup long enough that not being able to play on max settings is growing tiresome. what's the point? sure it looks better than console-of course- but you know what sucks? spending hundreds of dollars on gpus and not being able to check all the boxes on the options screen without serious consequences. to me:not worth it.

Like having access to a Lambo but being told "65mph" only. fuck all that

edit:I'm more or less just pissed I have to wait more to upgrade my PC (apparently) than anything else.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"

I have played games with my setup long enough that not being able to play on max settings is growing tiresome. what's the point? sure it looks better than console-of course- but you know what sucks? spending hundreds of dollars on gpus and not being able to check all the boxes on the options screen without serious consequences. to me:not worth it.

That "ubersampling" option in The Witcher 2 must have been painful for you.

SparkTR

And alienate 99.9% of your customers. Laziness on the devs part. Nothing else.

Pushing hardware doesn't mean leaving people behind, it's giving people more options on how they want to play the game. If someone has top of the line hardware let them fucking use it.

So are we now going to yell at devs for puttin gin ultra high end options in their PC games`?

People get some perspective please, this is a good thing... not a bad thing.

Sounds kinda like ubersampling in Witcher 2, future-proofing the game with an insane quality option (even 3 years later, it still cuts my framerate down to 30). As long as the game runs fine on the relative texture settings, I don't mind.

I know, right?

Madouu

Just because you can't tick all the boxes in the options menu doesn't mean your computer is suddenly worse than a ps4. The more options the better, as long as ports are optimized in a decent manner, which if I understand correctly, shouldn't be too much of a problem nowadays for most big budget games at least.

BONKERS

That "ubersampling" option in The Witcher 2 must have been painful for you.

That ubersampling option isn't even THAT good. It's actually pretty fucking mediocre at reducing aliasing.
But it's also the only way to get any semblance of an AF effect.

But also:

I call bullshit until I see some lossless 1:1 PNG comparisons. (And I can't rely on digital foundry too much,because their comparison tool sucks for a number of reasons such as compressing the already compressed JPG they use even MORE. Not to mention it's not nearly as effective as an overlay comparison like screenshotcomparison.com or ones that Nvidia uses for example)

Those textures have to be insanely high resolution and well detailed to justify such a requirement.

But also: Since it's OW, how does it handle texture,LOD streaming at all with such stuff?

Dryk

Not really, since it's your technology holding you back. It'd be more akin to having access to a racetrack but only owning a Smart car. You can complain about not being able to use the track's full potential all you want but they won't and shouldn't drop the speed limit to make you feel better.

Denzar

My specs are the recommended specs, like for like.

I'll be fine!

Makes me doubt what GPU to buy next though... I was planning on buying a GTX 970 at the start of next year, but those console ports (The Evil Within, ME: Shadows of Mordor, ...) seem to require a giant amount of V-Ram.

What say you?

It's probably best to hold off for another while, right?

So will this translate to 8GB vram om 1440p? Disappointed Nvidia didn't make 8GB versions of their new cards. I'm soon gonna buy a new card and already won't be able to hit Ultra in one of the first games of the holiday season.

Jira

That ubersampling option isn't even THAT good. It's actually pretty fucking mediocre at reducing aliasing.

But also:

I call bullshit until I see some lossless 1:1 PNG comparisons.

Those textures have to be insanely high resolution and well detailed to justify such a requirement.

I do agree considering it's a 15gb download for the textures which is HALF the size of the entire game itself. It's not going to be pretty if those textures don't greatly exceed modded skyrim which might use 2-3gb (4 at the most) of vram and looks absolutely stunning.

edit:I'm more or less just pissed I have to wait more to upgrade my PC (apparently) than anything else.

Seeing as how Monolith are now letting people who actually buy super high-end PCs have a bit of fun, you're suddenly annoyed because your PC isn't good enough? These sort of options should exist for future-proofing or for people willing to spend the money to reach it. If you want to play the inferior version, go right ahead. But don't blame the devs or the platform because your machine isn't good enough.

Top of the line like the brand new Nvidia card?

No, like people with 6Gb 780ti's or Titans. Or for the future when high end cards catch up.

Kezen

Banned
Seeing as how Monolith are now letting people who actually buy super high-end PCs have a bit of fun, you're suddenly annoyed because your PC isn't good enough? These sort of options should exist for future-proofing or for people willing to spend the money to reach it. If you want to play the inferior version, go right ahead. But don't blame the devs or the platform because your machine isn't good enough.

Exactly. Well said.

It seems many people have forgotten what scalability means. People annoyed because they can't "max out" games aren't PC gamers.

OmegaDL50

Yeah, it doesn't. But still, short answer: Yes, that's the reason.

Longer answer: Developers can do a lot more with Ultra settings on the PC now that they aren't as constrained by 512mb RAM consoles. It's a lot easier to scale up further when the PS4 & XB1 are the baseline. Mordor is technically cross-gen, but the last gen versions were outsourced and apparently have stuff gutted from them. It's more like pseudo-cross gen so the developers weren't so quite as held back by it.

Basically, the PS4 & XB1 are a *huge* boon for people who love high end PC settings.

MKX is in a similar situation. While being a fighting game an not an open world game like Mordor is. Boon basically implied that the PS4 / XB1 is being developed by staff at Netherealm and the PS3 and 360 version are outsourced.

I'll assume Netherealm did this so they can focus on making the game suitable for the current gen platform, while the outsource devs will simply need to deal with what they can to make the game runnable on the PS3 and 360. meaning the PS3 and 360 versions not necessarily holding the current gen versions back.

The game is also getting a PC release, now with that said, here's hoping they actually bother using the PS4 and XB1 version as the baseline for the PC release and isn't some poor port of an port of the PS3 / 360 release.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

This. It's not like the game is hideous on sub-max settings.

Madness

wait... why are people all of a sudden acting like PS4 / XB1 versions will be like playing these games on ultra with these "glad I bought a PS4 instead of a computer lol" comments?

Wont the game even on medium/high still be the same or better than the consoles as usual?

Never any guarantees, besides, I'm assuming those who are saying that, are those who probably now fall into the low/medium settings currently, and are saying, rather than buy the necessary cards for High/Ultra, it makes sense to just get an Xbox One or PS4.

No the first have that have an option for computers that we don't have right now. It's called "future proofing". In two years we will be happy they included the feature.

And let's be honest, usually the difference between high and ultra textures in lots of games is really minimal. Maybe it's also the case here.

Never any guarantees, besides, I'm assuming those who are saying that, are those who probably now fall into the low/medium settings currently, and are saying, rather than buy the necessary cards for High/Ultra, it makes sense to just get an Xbox One or PS4.

Assuming this is correct. A GTX 970 is $330 so you could just buy that for less than a PS4 and it will run the game better. Although obviously that's also assuming you aren't being bottlenecked by a processor or any other thing.

Newline

So are we now going to yell at devs for puttin gin ultra high end options in their PC games`?

People get some perspective please, this is a good thing... not a bad thing.
It's silly for you to suggest this until we get some performance analysis. If this is the Crysis kind of performance requirements i'll agree it's a good thing, if it's the watchdogs kind of requirements i'll have to disagree.

Lord Phol

Fucking christ that's pretty rough looking. Same as The Evil Within.

Such high requirements for such small, tiny, minuscule dividends. Is this a joke or something?

I would tell you if the video compression wasn't horrible. Is this a joke comment? It's full of hyperbole based on nothing conclusive.

pa22word

I see no problem with this. Future proofing a game with insane settings that's only reasonable for future cards is one of the best things about PC gaming. But of course we're going to instead have a thread full of people crying because they can't "max" the game, sigh...

Maybe they should have just locked all high settings to console best and call them high so the ignorant "MUST MAX OR WILL NOT PLAY" crowd can feel better arbitrarily about themselves and hide the crazy stuff in ini's for the people with enough brain power to understand the benefits of having modular hardware in the first place.

And alienate 99.9% of your customers. Laziness on the devs part. Nothing else.

If those people are so blind they can't see the other 3 settings maybe they don't need to be spending money on video games in the first place and instead putting that money towards seeing an optometrist.

The future? Game looks ok but much more can be done with much less on PC. I stand by what I said.

I think that's an unfair thing to say unless you have played it rather than seeing some videos. You could be right but you could be wrong. This is why we wait and see. And remember, never pre-order!
I pre-ordered this. But it was SO cheap I had to :(

NEO0MJ

I'm surprised we need 6 GB to max games already. I was expecting to reach that point when we stopped getting cross-gen games. Hope this wakes up AMD and Nividia.

Awntawn

This thread is like a sift for filtering the dirty PC gaming posers out from the actual glorious PC gaming master race.

OmegaDL50

This reminds me of Sacred 2's Elite Texture pack add-on

Which was a 10GB file over and above the 12GB the game already needed. Bad enough while textures were an improvement, you couldn't really appreciate them unless you zoomed the camera in to get a better look at the environment details. So it was a case of just making the game have less performance for small visual benefit.

Worse still the game has an issue with memory leaks and using the Elite textures pack means the game is likely to hit the memory threshold until it crashes.

Even modifying the exe to make it 64-bit address aware, still crashed once the application hit 8GB of ram use in the task manager.

Dunbar

So if I have a 4790k with 16 GB RAM and a GTX780, is it actually going to be better to play this on my PS4? I wasn't expecting that so soon.

Top Bottom