• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

Lord Phol

Ouch. As both John Carmack and Oles Shishkovstov have noted, consoles can provide almost twice the performance when compared with a comparably spec'ed PC, and, well, the math isn't pretty.

Basically, we can double the relevant specs on the PS4 side, so we're looking at an effective 16GB of DDR5 memory, or approximately 13-14 GB for use on the gaming side. We can also double the 1.8TF on the GPU side, to get a GPU subsystem that operates at an effective 3.6TF.

Meanwhile, since a comparably spec'ed PC is only half as powerful as a given console, and per the intransigent property of multiplicative dissemblance, we need to halve the relevant specs on the PC side. Thus, even with the latest flagship card, the 980, we're looking at a card with an effective 2.5TF and 2GBs of VRAM.

This means that a PS4 will be able to easily utilize Ultra textures (with memory to spare) and that the PS4 will be able to bring almost 1.5x more power to bear when compared to a PC running a 980 -- a PC that can utilize at most Medium textures, thanks to the effective 2GBs of VRAM.

what-is-this-i-dont-even-2.jpg

Wiktor

Ouch. As both John Carmack and Oles Shishkovstov have noted, consoles can provide almost twice the performance when compared with a comparably spec'ed PC, and, well, the math isn't pretty.

Basically, we can double the relevant specs on the PS4 side, so we're looking at an effective 16GB of DDR5 memory, or approximately 13-14 GB for use on the gaming side. We can also double the 1.8TF on the GPU side, to get a GPU subsystem that operates at an effective 3.6TF.

Meanwhile, since a comparably spec'ed PC is only half as powerful as a given console, and per the intransigent property of multiplicative dissemblance, we need to halve the relevant specs on the PC side. Thus, even with the latest flagship card, the 980, we're looking at a card with an effective 2.5TF and 2GBs of VRAM.

This means that a PS4 will be able to easily utilize Ultra textures (with memory to spare) and that the PS4 will be able to bring almost 1.5x more power to bear when compared to a PC running a 980 -- a PC that can utilize at most Medium textures, thanks to the effective 2GBs of VRAM.
Uhh...when people say about doubling the performance they don't mean memory..

Mman235

Is Maxwell not 20-30% more effective with their VRAM because of this new color compression or was it only for the memeory bandwith? And MFAA does save VRAM compared to MSAA too.

Yeah, aren't the 9xx cards supposed to be much more efficient with VRAM compared to earlier cards? 6GB might only be a ballpark for older cards.

It's interesting that, essentially, PS4>PC for this one. Programming geniuses like Carmack have espoused the hardware benefits of close platform integration (basically: metal coding, GPGPU, many core CPUs, high bit rate GDDR rather than DDR as in PCs) for what seems to be eons and we've had PC naysayers shooting these thoughts down for just as long. It's a shame that it is only now that we are seeing console potential bear fruit. If anything, PC gamers should be thanking consoles and console game ports as without them we'd have manufacturers like Intel and nvidia continuing to release stagnating hardware (just look at the latest GTX 980 which features only HALF! of the RAM of last year's PS4). I wouldn't be surprised if in a year's time we had the majority of PS4 multiplatform games exceeding the PC versions.

Do we even know if the PS4 is running textures equivalent of Ultra?

No chance. Medium at best.

It's interesting that, essentially, PS4>PC for this one. Programming geniuses like Carmack have espoused the hardware benefits of close platform integration (basically: metal coding, GPGPU, many core CPUs, high bit rate GDDR rather than DDR as in PCs) for what seems to be eons and we've had PC naysayers shooting these thoughts down for just as long. It's a shame that it is only now that we are seeing console potential bear fruit. If anything, PC gamers should be thanking consoles and console game ports as without them we'd have manufacturers like Intel and nvidia continuing to release stagnating hardware (just look at the latest GTX 980 which features only HALF! of the RAM of last year's PS4). I wouldn't be surprised if in a year's time we had the majority of PS4 multiplatform games exceeding the PC versions.

Ok, this one is definitely satirical. I'm on to you people now!

Caayn

Hot damn. I didn't imagine that I'd need to drop gfx setting this soon. Props to the dev for aiming high for the PC version.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Atleast with ID tech 5 we have the shitty engine as an excuse for so much wasted power.

I don't necessarily blame the devs in this case, but Nvidia and AMD are such cheapasses.

Why haven't they gotten to the point of including an 8GB option standard for high end graphics cards? The GPU and CPU power of PC components have increased to the point where having this amount of ram atleast is crucial in not bottle-necking the games requirements.

I don't think its out of bounds to say PC gamers deserve the best possible quality for their money spent on the hardware, and cheaping out on the ram is throwing the balance all out of wack IMO.

daninthemix

This thread is a fucking trainwreck ... No Benchmarks, no direct Comparisons of Screenshots and people already throwing away graphic cards, cancelling preorders and jumping to conclusions. And a lot of those people seem to have no knowledge of the technology in a PC. It's like reading "but there be dragons" ....

Sheeesh, people really are that stupid.

You won't find a greater coalition of the neurotic than amongst PC gamers.

Woha, I didn't see that leap in VRAM demand coming so soon. I don't expect my GeForce 780 is going to struggle much but I may need to tone down the texture quality slightly.

Still it's always nice to see a PC game have options for the very top end. I often re-install and re-play games like that when I upgrade.

Sentenza

It's funny. Countless threads and discussions for months on end about 2gb, 3gb being enough, about some random $500 setup blowing away the consoles and able to run next-gen games for a few years at least. It's all out the window. All of it was bs.
Eh. You have no clue whatsoever of what you are talking about, as usual.

I'm going to assume this is just a parody post, instead.

so I'm basically fugged from playing games maxed out on a PC without at least a 6gig card?already was planning on a 970/980 purchase this weekend :(

that's booty

guess I will gamefly the ps4 version :/

-MD-

This thread is a fucking trainwreck ... No Benchmarks, no direct Comparisons of Screenshots and people already throwing away graphic cards, cancelling preorders and jumping to conclusions. And a lot of those people seem to have no knowledge of the technology in a PC. It's like reading "but there be dragons" ....

Sheeesh, people really are that stupid.

The Evil Within thread was the same.

mrlion

The hell are you talking about?

so I'm basically fugged from playing games maxed out on a PC without at least a 6gig card?already was planning on a 970/980 purchase this weekend :(

that's booty

Why would you play an inferior version just because you can't max out the PC version?

that's booty

You'll still get 1080p60 with a 970 while on console you'll be stuck with 30FPS. Your texture quality would just be slightly worse than Ultra and probably still better than console.

DarkFlow

Banned
The guy who said he was switching his Evil Within PC preorder to the PS4 because he only has a 3GB GTX 780 was hilarious. At least us 600 series plebs are working with nearly three year old cards. The paranoid 780 owners just don't have an excuse lol.

Hey I'm a 780 owner, I'm not worried in the slightest! Right now my monitor is not even 1080P, it's 1600x900. My 780 is likely mad at me.

mrlion

I don't know what to think of this thread. Apparently since the PS4 has 8 GB GDDR4 that it'll run it at ultra...

First, we didn't take many things into account. The amount of VRAM that is listed is the recommended setting. Ultra is not going to use all 6 GB of VRAM, because if it did then what about the rest of the settings? Lighting, shadows, AA, AF, all of those also use VRAM. If you max out all of those and choose ultra texture quality then yes, 6 GB of VRAM is required. Devs aren't stupid they know what just came out, the GTX 980 is only 4 GB of VRAM.

Carlius

Banned
where is the source that says its 60fps on ps4? according to what i am reading online they are TARGETING 60fps, they havent confirmed it. I pretty much doubt they can do it and manage to look better than PC. I am going to with medium on xbox one, high on ps4 for textures.

Why would you play an inferior version just because you can't max out the PC version?
that's not how I roll son-lol

I was going to finally bite the bullet on upgrading my 680 sli this weekend, but seeing this, TEW and in Fear of what the Witcher 3 recommended for über settings has cast a giant shadow of doubt over upgrading now.

If I'm playing on PC I'm playing on ultra- :)

Kezen

Banned
Well that cements my PS4 purchase (don't judge me I have a 560ti still)

You don't have to justify anything, play on whatever platform you like.
Period.

I'm surprised by the 6GB VRAM requirements myself. I never expected VRAM usage to go up that quickly but I think it's a very good thing.
I don't see the game being that demanding given that it must run at highish settings at 60 on PS4.

Ultra textures will be out of reach for many of us for quite some time.

Kaleinc

Banned
Shadow of Mordor council. Participants: random manager (RM), random clerk (RC).
RM: We need description for texture settings
RC: I dunno
RM: That won't do
RC: Low, High?
RM: Nah, description can't match the settings
RC: Something video memory related maybe. When I last played a computer game on my geforce 2 video memory was serious shit
RM: Now we are talking, gimme range
RC: 1-128 GB
RM: Why 128?
RC: Why not? Sounds cool
RM: My SSD is only 64 GB, 128 could be too much
RC: 6 is my fav number
RM: 1-6, lowest to highest. Done. See, wasn't that hard

Top Bottom