• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

Kevyt

I guess I don't mind as long as the textures reflect the large amount of VRAM needed, and not some weird case of terrible streaming / attempting to run the game only on GPU memory or something.

I think this is mostly the case.

Seriously, why does everyone keep saying that it's because of the PS4 and Xbox One? They only have around 5 gigs of VRAM available, and even then it's shared between the OS, the CPU and the GPU.... which makes it less.

I seriously think that 6 GB of VRAM means poor optimization and poor streaming.

So what is the other 3gig of VRam doing then? :p

They're just there... being lazy... just kidding, lol

I meant that the ~5 VRAM is shared between the CPU and GPU. The OS already takes about 3 GB's. So the 8 GB GDDR5 are being split into three different things. It comes down to something less than 5 GB of VRAM just for the GPU.

nbthedude

Just bought a Titan and am now leaving this thread.

For about 10 minutes today I looked at ebay, craigslist and amazon and newegg prices on Titans "on a whim" before I came to my senses entirely.

I'll do just fine with my 780, thanks. I doubt I'd even notice the difference of this downsampling of ultra textures. It was hard to perceive the Uber textures in Witcher 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
For about 10 minutes today I looked at ebay, craigslist and amazon and newegg prices on Titans "on a whim" before I came to my senses entirely.

I'll do just fine with my 780, thanks. I doubt I'd even notice the difference of this downsampling of ultra textures. It was hard to perceive the Uber textures in Witcher 2.

Ubersampling in The Witcher 2 is just 2x2 supersampling with a more colourful name. Very High is as high as the textures go.

Jimrpg

Nope. Data is mirrored across each card so you still have only 4GB of addressable VRAM.

Aww man, that sucks.

They should do something about that.

I understand why people wanted to wait for the 8gb cards in the other thread now if its only a couple of months...

Teremap

Banned
Aww man, that sucks.

They should do something about that.
Split-frame rendering allows the two cards to not mirror their memory but is completely inconsistent since you have no way of ensuring an even distribution of system resources per frame.

Hence, you should actually be glad that they mirror each other because that's what allows SLI/Crossfire to obtain such insanely high (80%+) scaling values.

BONKERS

Ubersampling in The Witcher 2 is just 2x2 supersampling with a more colourful name. Very High is as high as the textures go.
Ubersampling only gets you minutely close to good quality SSAA.
In fact really it doesn't do much at all for aliasing since it also disables the built in MLAA (Which ends up working against it) (Compared to using the built in MLAA with 2.25xSSAA ;1.5x1.5;)

It's more like the worlds most expensive Anisotropic Filtering. Since that's the most gain you get from it since the game seems to have broken AF completely.

hengyu

k38xeSE.png

Welp, looks like we're getting Watchdogged again

UnrealEck

Editor of IGN.
I never take anything IGN says about PC gaming seriously. Their coverage in general of all things PC is crap.
We've also had someone else say it runs well. Why take IGN's word for it? Serious question.

hengyu

Editor of IGN.
I never take anything IGN says about PC gaming seriously. Their coverage in general of all things PC is crap.
We've also had someone else say it runs well. Why take IGN's word for it? Serious question.

Well, I only saw the quote that it ran well after I saw the IGN one... Now I'm happy again.

I think IGN is rubbish, but I doubt their editors outright lie about the performances of the PC port.

If anything, I am more inclined to be sceptical when a major review site lauds the PC port's performance. Digital Foundry lost all of its credibility with its review on PC Watch_Dogs.

UnrealEck

If I'm not mistaken, this particular fellow works for nVIDIA.

We really need a third party source like a Gaffer to chime in.

Oh actually I'm mistaken then. Two people it is.
Andy from nVidia was one of them. I was referring to the other guy whose name escapes me.

Durante

I've heard it runs well on PC Games Hardware. (A German site which I trust around 700% more than IGN when it comes to PC gaming)

Buburibon

depends on his specs, he should post them

He should also share what he's done so far to try and remedy the performance issues. Sometimes disabling in-game vsync and re-enabling it via control panel fixes "sudden framerate, crashing probs." At any rate, I still have faith in Monolith's work, so we'll see.

Grief.exe

depends on his specs, he should post them

He should also share what he's done so far to try and remedy the performance issues. Sometimes disabling in-game vsync and re-enabling it via control panel fixes "sudden framerate, crashing probs." At any rate, I still have faith in Monolith's work, so we'll see.

Going from the responses and general consensus on this guy's cognitive ability, I highly doubt he is capable of remedying the issues or posting his specs.

R1CHO

Yeah, 5GB just for the games. 3-2.5 for OS

Is this number real? I know they have 2 cores for the os, and whatever, it's not like they are very powerful... but 3GB of RAM?

Why the fuck do they reserve that much?

If that's true there is no way in hell that a game running with the same settings as in Ps4 could possible need more than 4GB of vram on pc. Besides it been totally broken.

Is this number real? I know they have 2 cores for the os, and whatever, it's not like they are very powerful... but 3GB of RAM?

If that's true there is no way in hell that a game running with the same settings as in Ps4 could possible need more than 4GB of vram on pc. Besides it been totally broken.

That number is real. And for example Killzone Shadow Fall used 3 GB of VRAM so it makes sense that high requires that much.

The amount of RAM necessary for the OS may still change later.

diaspora

To be fair, a game that actually uses more than 5GB of VRAM in the first place wouldn't perform that great with a CPU and GPU like the PS4s.

Xyber

To not run into situations like with PS3 where party chat wasn't possible while playing because of the RAM. They can always reduce the amount reserved for the system, but they can never increase it without messing up games that were built with more RAM in mind.

And the ultra textures for this game is an optional download and they are supposed to be better than the console version. So it's not the same settings.

I think at least a sizable portion of that number is because they are recording gameplay all the time, to be able to capture the last x minutes of the game to share it or whatever.

k38xeSE.png

I think he's running out of system RAM (rather than VRAM) and the hard disk not keeping up with the swapping. Every single one of these new 64-bit games that I've tried has crashed at some point and it's always been because I ran out of memory on a 12gb system. I always have to shut down my browser session first.

I think we're going to see more of this once Shadows of Mordor launches. 8GB system RAM will probably not be enough for Ultra textures.

I think he's running out of system RAM (rather than VRAM) and the hard disk not keeping up with the swapping. Every single one of these new 64-bit games that I've tried has crashed at some point and it's always been because I ran out of memory on a 12gb system. I always have to shut down my browser session first.

I think we're going to see more of this once Shadows of Mordor launches. 8GB system RAM will probably not be enough for Ultra textures.

I don't think it is normal to have it crash because of having 12gb of RAM.

I don't think it is normal to have it crash because of having 12gb of RAM.

It depends. A single 32-bit Chrome session can easily consume 3gb of memory like it's currently doing on my PC. The 64-bit build would be using 4-5 gigabytes with a similar number of tabs open. Then I have Windows and everything else using another 2-3 gigabytes.

Here's a picture of Watch Dogs (intentionally) crashing that I made and pay attention to the Limit and Peak under the Commit Charge heading. That number is the sum of my 12gb of memory and 1gb pagefile.

rxb9Bbh.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just found out that the titans have 6gb vram (yes Im a noob and dont follow these things), so this is basically a titan feature? how...cute >_>

Seanspeed

Banned
It depends. A single 32-bit Chrome session can easily consume 3gb of memory like it's currently doing on my PC. The 64-bit build would be using 4-5 gigabytes with a similar number of tabs open. Then I have Windows and everything else using another 2-3 gigabytes.
What on earth? I've got Windows 7 running, Internet Explorer open and I'm watching a streaming NFL game through a separate app.

2.05GB of RAM being used.

Skyzard

Banned
Sounds kinda suspect yeah...like no other software causing crashes?...dodgy overclock -> memory leak?

Saying that, I'm using like 4GB apparently... just got steam downloading some game and a few neogaf tabs. Doesn't add up in the process tab. It's been running well though.

I actually used to get a similar issue in Assetto Corsa, then I had the watercooler leak. Now with basically the same components, different overclock, same software (hdd is the same, not reformatted) and no issues anymore.

Salaadin

Sounds kinda suspect yeah...like no other software causing crashes?...dodgy overclock -> memory leak?

Saying that, I'm using like 4GB apparently... just got steam downloading some game and a few neogaf tabs. Doesn't add up in the process tab. It's been running well though.

I actually used to get a similar issue in Assetto Corsa, then I had the watercooler leak. Now with basically the same components, different overclock, same software (hdd is the same, not reformatted) and no issues anymore.

Did some googling and it looks like Watch Dogs has some memory issues. Quite a few people reporting it stuttering and/or crashing after a few hours of play. A few of them showing absurdly high RAM usage,

What on earth? I've got Windows 7 running, Internet Explorer open and I'm watching a streaming NFL game through a separate app.

No, it's nothing like that. It just depends on how many tabs you have open. You can type chrome://memory-redirect/ into its address bar to get a full rundown of memory usage by browsers. Chrome, in particular, is greedy when you have many open tabs.

f2W5ACg.png

Shutting down my browsers brought me back into the ~2.5gb range and, of course, no more crashes in any of those games.

Also, if I set textures to medium (rather than high/ultra) then I can run these games fine without shutting down my browsers. It's because they need less memory. Going from High to Ultra textures in Watch Dogs doesn't just need an extra gigabyte of VRAM but of system RAM as well.

I feel like optimization of PC ports have gotten worse and worse and now it's just ridiculous. Would my GTX 460 SE run this at least on medium/low settings?

I don't know about you but I just gave up on my 460 SE and bought a 970. Gonna finally play some games on higher settings for once!

No, it's nothing like that. It just depends on how many tabs you have open. You can type chrome://memory-redirect/ into its address bar to get a full rundown of memory usage by browsers. Chrome, in particular, is greedy when you have many open tabs.

f2W5ACg.png

Shutting down my browsers brought me back into the ~2.5gb range and, of course, no more crashes in any of those games.

Also, if I set textures to medium (rather than high/ultra) then I can run these games fine without shutting down my browsers. It's because they need less memory. Going from High to Ultra textures in Watch Dogs doesn't just need an extra gigabyte of VRAM but of system RAM as well.

Chrome in the same window with 6 tabs opened and two of them with video (twitch, youtube) consumes 460MB. I suppose he has 40 tabs opened or something silly like that.

Sylonious

Thank you for this. I had only setup my rig for 8GB of system ram based off some recommendations from PC builders on Youtube. He claimed that you would never need more than 8GB for gaming. Also, I thought I could skimp on the SSD (just based on my own research) and now I realize I will probably need to run every new game on the SSD because of these high res textures.

Thank you for this. I had only setup my rig for 8GB of system ram based off some recommendations from PC builders on Youtube. He claimed that you would never need more than 8GB for gaming. Also, I thought I could skimp on the SSD (just based on my own research) and now I realize I will probably need to run every new game on the SSD because of these high res textures.

It isn't very reliable to see how much RAM a game needs that way, it may just utilize how much there is left. Having constantly crash games because you "only" have 12 GB of RAM is absurd. I never have had a game crash because of that while constantly having open all sort of things, more than 20 Chrome tabs and playing games. Although I haven't played Watch Dogs.

I doubt every new game on the SSD will be necessary or any game at all. But I think it is likely that it will reduce stuttering when it loads new assets.

Top Bottom