• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of Mordor offers Ultra texture optional download, recommends 6GB VRAM @ 1080p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A high end PC with 'only' a measly 3GB in a 780, or even 4GB in a 970, is still going to perform significantly better tha a PS4 version. Even if you can't use ultra textures (which I honesly can't believe are going to be that useful for 1080p, maybe for 4k), the textures are probably still higher res or at worst on par with console. And it'll have higher framerate, and probably higher resolution shadows, better AO etc.

I do think GPU manufacturers will need to start offering 6-8GB options at or close to launch. Yes there will be a premium but hopefully GDDR5 will come down in price and anyway give purchasers a choice.

Look man, I really have no problem with this "making the game look as cool as possible on the PC" thing, but while you doing this you also need to consider that almost no one have a video card with such a huge amount of VRAM, almost no one, period. So what's the point in making the game look cool on the PC if almost no one can play it with at least high settings? Or do you think everyone has an enormous amounts of cash to buy a new PC just to play this on high or ultra settings (not to mention The Evil Within)? Nope, they don't.

"High" should work on a 670/770. 670 is "recommended" for the game. Plenty of people can run it on high. What they may not be able to do (we're not 100% sure due to no benches yet) is that they may not be able to install the Ultra-HD texture pack right now.

It's like there's some kind of psychological blow when they can't put one of the settings at the highest number. Even though it's an optional texture pack add-on designed to provide extreme quality to those with the highest end cards. Like a 670 with 2GB is still going to be matching or exceeding PS4 quality. People panicking because they've got a 3GB 780 are going to look pretty silly when the actual benches come out.

It is crazy, isn't it? I opened this thread, read the OP and then scrolled down expecting to see people being excited that the game's developers not only provided a lot of customization options but also included an Ultra HD texture setting for those with high end gpus. Then I read the angry comments and... I was baffled.

Is this game 30 or 60 on consoles? I don't mind running it on the highest settings and locking it at 30, if it was made to be played that way.

Melchiah

Is this because of PS4 and XB1's 5 to 8 gigs RAM why these PC requirements are so high now??????

And just like that 970/980 hype thread deflated lol

People should prepare themselves for this type of stuff moving forward. Especially as devs get unshackled from the hell that is 360/ps3 2006 specs.

Yeah, good luck on playing the games of coming years with 400-450€ budget PC, that was supposed to match the current consoles.

6gb vram? Guess optimization was not a option for them.

The options make it look like this game scales pretty well.

Edit: PC requirements threads are going to be embarrassing for the next couple years aren't they? It is alright if a game's highest settings go beyond the console and even beyond the usual high end PC spec. You don't have to play on the highest settings...

elyetis

Those reactions.... people don't get that complaining only mean getting less next time ? Is your ego that bad that you need to know you can enjoy the highest setting ?

And people wonder why we didn't get another Crysis 1 tech wise.

orochi91

Is this confirmed? Was getting the game on PS4 anyway but 60fps would be a nice suprise.

Apart from other comments and some footage, it would seem so. Of course, I'd
wait on the DF analysis for confirmation. If it is indeed 60fps at 1080p, I hope the PS4
version is stable like TLOU:R, where it's at or near 60fps 99% of the time.

Oh man, so glad I sprung for the 4gb card instead of the 2. That should hold me nicely on medium-high for at least a while.

Can't believe the upset, though. PC is the eternal platform. Play the game again in six years if it bothers you so much.

Seanspeed

Banned
Matching PS4 quality on a 670 is really, really not ideal...
If its just on a single setting, its not a big deal. A 670 will be able to do more in other respects, like anti-aliasing, for example.

PC gamers really do obsess about 'max' settings stuff, don't they? Just because you cant use Ultra textures doesn't mean you're not getting a great looking game.

3656-1269759530-27a83dcd38cdd0d70110e8f0bff9271c.jpg

PS4 it is.
Why? You need 6Gb for the very best textures. The PS4 textures are probably equal to medium.

dmix90

All this panic lol. I think everyone should atleast wait for comparison screenshots/videos and actual game benchmarks. Looks like people are ready to upgrade even before launching this game on their current hardware.

kevm3

I may just get a PS4 and call it a day. The settings needed for these games is getting ridiculous. There was nothing in that clip I seen that would remotely justify needing 5gb of vram. I guess ultra means completely unoptimized.

Nokterian

The options make it look like this game scales pretty well.

Edit: PC requirements threads are going to be embarrassing for the next couple years aren't they? It is alright if a game's highest settings go beyond the console and even beyond the usual high end PC spec. You don't have to play on the highest settings...

To me i am not in panic mode just more smh how a lot of new games yet again going back 2005 seeing a deja vu for pc ports that ask to mutch and don't run well at all. Not the first time it is happening.

Lord Phol

I may just get a PS4 and call it a day. The settings needed for these games is getting ridiculous. There was nothing in that clip I seen that would remotely justify needing 5gb of vram. I guess ultra means completely unoptimized.

Or you know, you could play it at High/Medium texture settings and probably still get awesome graphics?

-Deimos

How is it ridiculous? If you want the game to look extra pretty you're going to need the hardware to pull it off.

I think PC games should start using "console" in settings rather than "low/medium".

KKRT00

OIT nice.

6GB VRAM seems excessive. I can bet that it will have worse textures than Skyrim with mods that using 4GB VRAM.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
"PCs are so overpowered compared to consoles. But that power is being wasted on last gen ports. I wish games would start to push things again."

"What's this? My PC can't simply steamroller over this game at max settings? I might have to live with almost undetectably lower resolution textures or consider upgrading my GPU? This is unacceptable!"

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
"High" should work on a 670/770. 670 is "recommended" for the game. Plenty of people can run it on high. What they may not be able to do (we're not 100% sure due to no benches yet) is that they may not be able to install the Ultra-HD texture pack right now.
Yep, plenty of people can, but not the majority.

This is VERY GOOD news. It means that for the first time since 2007 Crysis (7 years ago!) the PC hardware is being pushed to its limits thanks to nothing less but a true next-gen game port.

I think all of you PC gamers should be happy. Finally there is some action in the PC gaming space after all those years of maxing out PS360 ports in 2560x1440x60 fps.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm finding it oh so very funny that certain people are using the rather prohibitive absolute maximum settings of this game to assert the "clear" superiority of consoles over PCs. "Need 6GB of VRAM to run Ultra textures on PC? The PS4's Medium texture prove that it's better!"

I'm fine with Medium. Performance > Graphics.

GHG

Gold Member
Yep, plenty of people can, but not the majority.

And that is why the medium and low settings exist.

We don't even know what those setting look like yet and people are still moaning.

Anyway, I thought you weren't interested in the game?

I'm at a loss for words.

Lulubop

Phew... Made the right choice for my setup with my PS4 preorder then.

Man! Even dual GTX 970s isn't hitting that ram req.

These GPU vendors need to stop cheaping out on ram. If a goddamn $399 PS4 can have 8 gigs of GDDR5 then what excuse does a $350 GPU have for only containing 2GB.

You should stick to console gaming.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The amount of hyperbole in this thread is overwhelming. Especially the ones involving the PS4, as if PS4 will get the ultra textures when it would be incredibly good if it would get the high ones, but the safe bet is on medium. I'm quite sure this game will look and play great on my 780.

Is this because of PS4 and XB1's 5 to 8 gigs RAM why these PC requirements are so high now??????

I doubt the PS4 and Xbox One versions are using the Ultra texture settings of the PC, more likely it is the 3 GB High option as both systems may have 8 GB of memory but only 5.5 GB approx. is available for games. The rest is used by their respective operating systems.

Lulubop

PCs are so overpowered compared to consoles. But that power is being wasted on last gen ports. I wish games would start to push things again.

What's this? My PC can't simply steamroller over this game at max settings? I might have to live with almost undetectably lower resolution textures or consider upgrading my GPU? This is unacceptable!

We don't even have benchmarks yet, christ.

I wouldn't say that's too surprising. Hopefully this generation won't look like mud and ass. It'll definitely knock the "You'll never use more than 2 GB of VRAM at 1080p" people off their feet.
Well I won't use more than 2 GB of VRAM because I only have 2 GB of VRAM.

T_T

Bl@de

This thread is a fucking trainwreck ... No Benchmarks, no direct Comparisons of Screenshots and people already throwing away graphic cards, cancelling preorders and jumping to conclusions. And a lot of those people seem to have no knowledge of the technology in a PC. It's like reading "but there be dragons" ....

Sheeesh, people really are that stupid.

The amount of hyperbole in this thread is overwhelming. Especially the ones involving the PS4, as if PS4 will get the ultra textures when it would be incredibly good if it would get the high ones, but the safe bet is on medium. I'm quite sure this game will look and play great on my 780.
And the PS4 version looks gorgeous already. If your PC can run higher than PS4 settings, I don't see what's the rage about?

x3sphere

This is VERY GOOD news. It means that for the first time since 2007 Crysis (7 years ago!) the PC hardware is being pushed to its limits thanks to nothing less but a true next-gen game port.

I think all of you PC gamers should be happy. Finally there is some action in the PC gaming space after all those years of maxing out PS360 ports in 2560x1440x60 fps.

Pushing VRAM capacity to the limit doesn't mean the game itself is demanding though. You can easily fill 6GBs with some uncompressed textures that give almost no benefit whatsoever.

Not saying that's the case here, but it may be. In which case you wouldn't be missing out on much by going with the High textures.

At any rate.. I find it hard to believe the fastest GPU out now won't be able to max this out due to VRAM limitations.

Hasney

Love this thread. Go run Watch_Dogs with everything maxed apart from the textures
don't play it, just look at it. I wouldn't wish that on you
. It still looks better than the PS4 version.

Just because you can't run it at max, suddenly the console is the better option? It is baffling to me, because it just reads like a dick swinging contest. You can't run it at maximum so it's time to take your ball and go home? Even if it still looks better than other options, which we don't know yet? Hilarious.

Personally, I'm glad this came out like this. Partially because I'm in the market for an upgrade and this should tell graphics card makers that VRAM needs to be upped, but I like games that come out that thrash my current setup as when I upgrade the next time, I can come back to it and enjoy it maxxed in a few years time.

Top Bottom