• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

For everyone who could not participate in the Shenmue III Kickstarter, we have heard your voice! Here is one more chance to show your support and make Shenmue III even better. All funding collected here will be added to the Kickstarter total for the game’s development.

• PayPal Funding Sites: English | Japanese
  • Total Amount Pledged: $6,333,295
  • Total Backers: 69,320 backers
  • Days Left: 105 days

Update #45: One more chance to make history with Shenmue III!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to your support, Shenmue III became the most funded video game on Kickstarter with 69,320 people helping to bring back the Shenmue series back to life. However, there are so many people told us they could not pledge on Kickstarter, or could not make the deadline, and have asked for a PayPal page for another opportunity to contribute to Shenmue III. So here we go!

The Slacker Backer period will continue through December 31st. While the full game will be completed as promised with the use of the funding collected on Kickstarter, any additional funding collected here will go towards reaching the Stretch Goals to make the game even bigger and deeper.The three month window was set to allow a long enough time to for everyone who wants to support Shenmue III to do so, but short enough to keep the release date on track.

The PayPal page will feature a selection of rewards from the Kickstarter campaign including the Trial Version and the Collector’s Edition. If you missed out on the Kickstarter, you still have a chance to be part of the Shenmue legacy!
Surveys, add-ons and upgrades

Surveys are not quite ready yet, but they will be going out during this Slacker Backer campaign. Once the survey system is up and running, add-ons and upgrades will be available for existing Kickstarter backers. We will of course keep you posted here on the Updates page with all the developments.

u3vTLOL.jpg

• Release dates: Full Game - December 2017, Playable Demo - Early 2017
  • Platforms: Playstation 4 & Microsoft Windows
  • Developer: Ys Net

Basic Info: Locations
Gameplay Systems: Technique Scroll System | Rapport System | Character Perspective System | High Ground Battle System | Magic Maze
Multimedia: Kickstarter Videos | Kickstarter Images | Concept Art | Niao Sun & Ming Ming

hTxjiRA.jpg

Shenmue: Characters | Story Synopsis | VMU Characters | VMU Animations | English Videos | Japanese Videos
Shenmue II: Characters | Story Synopsis | Side-story Comics | VMU Animations | English Videos | Japanese Videos
History: Yu Suzuki | Project Berkley | Shenmue Saturn | Shenmue Premiere | What's Shenmue | GDC 2000 | Shenmue Postmortem
Dojo Gallery: 2D Art | 3D Art | Postmortem | Akira Yuki to Ryo Hazuki | Press Event Photos | Voice Actors

9532mnP.jpg

Now that Shenmue III has been successfully Kickstarted by Yu Suzuki and his legions of fans, all eyes are on Sega, owners of the most conspicuous two games to never receive the HD re-release treatment.

Suzuki and his supporters want Shenmue 1 & 2 to be made available for newcomers to experience before the crowdfunded sequel is released, and so that is the community's goal moving forward with the monthly Tweetathon.

The #SaveShenmue campaign now has a sharper focus, becoming #SaveShenmueHD until Sega provides a legal, modern day alternative to emulation and wiring up dusty old consoles bought second-hand.

Together we have achieved the impossible, but there is one thing left to accomplish ahead of Shenmue's triumphant return. So please join the monthly Tweetathon and follow these steps to spread the word and be heard on the 3rd:

Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Playlists: Kickstarter Videos | E3 Reaction Videos | Campaign Videos (Fan Made)
Video Playlists: ALL | Shenmue (English) | Shenmue (Japanese) | Shenmue II (Dreamcast) | Shenmue II (Xbox) | Mods | Passport Renders | Unsorted Game Videos
Music Playlists: ALL | OST | Orchestra | FREE | Cutscenes | In-game | Misc | Passport | Tapes | Aberdeen | Wan Chai | Kowloon | Guilin | Misc | Shenmue Online | S1 Extended | S2 Extended
History: Yu Suzuki Interviews & Old Promos | Shenmue Saturn - Project Berkley - What's Shenmue | Shenmue Premiere | Shenmue Online
Fan Videos: Game Reviews & Retrospectives | Documentary | Fan Played Instrumentals | Gang Edition Movies | Misc Fan Stuff | Playthrough Videos
Misc: ALL | Shenmue Cast (Podcast) | Cultural Influences | Character Voices | Comedy & Humour | Live Performances

1Ae3kWa.jpg

Shenmue Fan Sites: Shenmue Dojo | Shenmue Master | Team Yu
Facebook: Shenmue Dojo | Shenmue Master | ShenmueFans | Shenmue 500k
Twitter: Shenmue Dojo | Team Yu | Yu Suzuki (Director) | Cedric Biscay (Co-producer)
NeoGAF: Shenmue Community Thread | Original Kickstarter Thread

Thanks to Shenmue Dojo for the updated OP layout.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Sweet, once it reached its funding I figured they would do this eventually so I've been waiting for this. Gonna pick up the artbook tomorrow.

benzy

Q: Why do another campaign? Does the game need more money?
A: This additional campaign comes as a response to all of the requests we have received asking for another opportunity to participate in the making of Shenmue III because either of a lack of payment options on Kickstarter, or just not having a chance to pledge before the campaign ended.

While the full game will be completed as promised with the use of the funding collected on Kickstarter, any additional funding collected here will go towards reaching the Stretch Goals to make the game even bigger and deeper.

Q: Will the funds from Paypal count to the Stretch Goals from Kickstarter campaign?
A: Absolutely yes! The funds collected through this Paypal site will also count towards the Stretch Goals.

oF5b.png

AAK

There's hope to avoid Shenmue-Lite?

But they need almost $5 million to get to that level... hope they make it.

I found this interesting:

Q: Why is the PC version of Shenmue III not offered on this website?
A: At the moment, we are discussing the PC version with the related parties.

I wonder what this might mean for people who already backed a PC version, if they don't like whatever the outcome of this discussion is.

Is there a Japanese version of this website? I'm hoping we see a lot of new funding from there.
There is an option to view the site/page in Japanese: http://shenmue.link/order_jp/
I read that this site was in large part created for Japanese fans, because many don't tend to like Kickstarter. It was on one interview or another with Suzuki. That could mean if those fans get wind, the funding may jump up a bit.

This feels wrong. They should start making the game that the Kickstarter funds enabled them to make, and then ask for more money after that's done, or at least show substantial progress i.e. a vertical slice or two, before allowing for more donations. Since Sony is helping to fund/publish the game, even in a small way, this just doesn't feel right.
Every major game that's been on Kickstarter (going back to, and including Double Fine Adventure, which arguably popularised Kickstarter) has offered "slacker backer" backing and it's worked out fine in many of those cases.

This feels wrong. They should start making the game that the Kickstarter funds enabled them to make, and then ask for more money after that's done, or at least show substantial progress i.e. a vertical slice or two, before allowing for more donations. Since Sony is helping to fund/publish the game, even in a small way, this just doesn't feel right.

Bloodrage

Banned
Happily pledged $120 for the Kickstarter. Let's see where this goes with PayPal.

Q: Why is the PC version of Shenmue III not offered on this website?
A: At the moment, we are discussing the PC version with the related parties.

Does this mean they're mostly focused on the PS4 version then? I don't get it.

benzy

They already started work on the game.

GavinGT

Banned

It's primarily for Japan and those that weren't able to back on Kickstarter. And waiting any longer to accept more donations would mean they'd be unable to figure that extra money into the game's budget.

MUnited83

For you.

Nope. It feels fine. It's just extending the campaign for people who couldn't participate previously. And they also already started development, as it's obvious.

Also
"They should start making the game that the Kickstarter funds enabled them to make, and then ask for more money after that's done"
Is a goddamn terrible idea, btw.

I found this interesting:

I wonder what this might mean for people who already backed a PC version, if they don't like whatever the outcome of this discussion is.

It doesn't mean anything. People who already backed it will obviously still get it. Seems to me that they just didn't work out a deal yet with whoever they are publishing the PC version with for this particular campaign.

WAT? Don't like it? Don't donate. Simple.

They already started work on the game.

Have they shown any of it? I haven't seen any gameplay or anything. I see some videos on the site but I can't tell if they're from current work or from Kickstarter marketing. Either way, I don't think enough work can be done in four months to then go and ask for more money--basically double if things go their way.

It doesn't mean anything. People who already backed it will obviously still get it. Seems to me that they just didn't work out a deal yet with whoever they are publishing the PC version with for this particular campaign.
I meant that if they suddenly decide to partner with someone the backer of the PC version doesn't like (let's hypothetically say they decided to launch only on UPlay), do the backers have the ability to rescind their pledge.

Are they going to officially announce this or what? Why is it so low key? They also better drop the HD bombs really soon to give this a nice boost.

benzy

Have they shown any of it? I haven't seen any gameplay or anything. I see some videos on the site but I can't tell if they're from current work or from Kickstarter marketing. Either way, I don't think enough work can be done in four months to then go and ask for more money--basically double if things go their way.

Read the FAQ.

A:This additional campaign comes as a response to all of the requests we have received asking for another opportunity to participate in the making of Shenmue III because either of a lack of payment options on Kickstarter, or just not having a chance to pledge before the campaign ended.

While the full game will be completed as promised with the use of the funding collected on Kickstarter, any additional funding collected here will go towards reaching the Stretch Goals to make the game even bigger and deeper.

It's primarily for Japan and those that weren't able to back on Kickstarter. And waiting any longer to accept more donations would mean they'd be unable to figure that extra money into the game's budget.

Oh okay, is Japan not able to donate on Kickstarter? I'm not familiar with the rules. As for waiting, my point is that they should show the game being made before asking for potentially double the money.

Nope. It feels fine. It's just extending the campaign for people who couldn't participate previously. And they also already started development, as it's obvious.

Also
"They should start making the game that the Kickstarter funds enabled them to make, and then ask for more money after that's done"
Is a goddamn terrible idea, btw.

Why? They could start making the game that $6 million makes, and then once they know how long it will take, get more money and use that for DLC, for example.

WAT? Don't like it? Don't donate. Simple.

I'm not. Just caught my attention because this was a very popular Kickstarter and I would think they would have enough money/be satisfied with the money they got to start making the game before asking for more. I would like to see progress that the $6 million has been put to work before potentially getting $6 million more.

Read the FAQ.

A:This additional campaign comes as a response to all of the requests we have received asking for another opportunity to participate in the making of Shenmue III because either of a lack of payment options on Kickstarter, or just not having a chance to pledge before the campaign ended.

I read that. As I just said, I would like to see progress before launching another campaign, no matter the reason for it.

vid

I got to try on the prototype for the replica jacket and can personally confirm that it is fantastic. If anyone is on the fence about making a big pledge for the jacket, I highly recommend it. Do it so I may live vicariously through you.

I'm not. Just caught my attention because this was a very popular Kickstarter and I would think they would have enough money/be satisfied with the money they got to start making the game before asking for more. I would like to see progress that the $6 million has been put to work before potentially getting $6 million more.

Just look at the stretch goals? Shenmue III needs a lot of money and I fully trust Yu Suzuki with my money. This is a very ambitious franchise.

MUnited83

For you.
Oh okay, is Japan not able to donate on Kickstarter? I'm not familiar with the rules. As for waiting, my point is that they should show the game being made before asking for potentially double the money.

Why? They could start making the game that $6 million makes, and then once they know how long it will take, get more money and use that for DLC, for example.

The entire point of asking for more is so that they can make it bigger in scope and features.
You can't make a 6$ million game from the ground up, complete it, and then ask for more money to magically make the scope of what was finished bigger.

Just look at the stretch goals? Shenmue III needs a lot of money and I fully trust Yu Suzuki with my money. This is a very ambitious franchise.

The entire point of asking for more is so that they can make it bigger in scope and features.
You can't make a 6$ million game from the ground up, complete it, and then ask for more money to magically make the scope of what was finished bigger.

It doesn't have to be complete, I would just like to see some progress before asking for more money for more stretch goals.

Redx508

Hello Everyone,
Thanks to your support, Shenmue III became the most funded video game on Kickstarter with 69,320 people helping to bring back the Shenmue series back to life. However, there are so many people told us they could not pledge on Kickstarter, or could not make the deadline, and have asked for a PayPal page for another opportunity to contribute to Shenmue III. So here we go!

The Slacker Backer period will continue through December 31st. While the full game will be completed as promised with the use of the funding collected on Kickstarter, any additional funding collected here will go towards reaching the Stretch Goals to make the game even bigger and deeper.The three month window was set to allow a long enough time to for everyone who wants to support Shenmue III to do so, but short enough to keep the release date on track.

The PayPal page will feature a selection of rewards from the Kickstarter campaign including the Trial Version and the Collector’s Edition. If you missed out on the Kickstarter, you still have a chance to be part of the Shenmue legacy!

Surveys, add-ons and upgrades
Surveys are not quite ready yet, but they will be going out during this Slacker Backer campaign. Once the survey system is up and running, add-ons and upgrades will be available for existing Kickstarter backers. We will of course keep you posted here on the Updates page with all the developments.

MUnited83

For you.
It doesn't have to be complete, I would just like to see some progress before asking for more money for more stretch goals.

You would have a point if they were asking for people that already backers to pay more. But this very clearly directed at people that weren't backers.

Redx508

if you want progress read project update #44 if you helped with the kickstarter.

this paypal campaign is for the people who could not pledge on Kickstarter, they are not saying they need more money to make the game

Top Bottom