• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

Mugen08

In with hundreds of dollars already, but honestly I am disappointed as of now. Next to no improvement with the presentation since the Kickstarter (get rid of that crap logotype ffs!) and how can they have a problem with putting up the PC version again? Trial version is obviously PC, I am speechless here.

Disappointing that the total doesn't update in real time. Dammit Suzuki

Yeah. I hope at least a 12h/24h update. By the way, is this system anti-trolls or there will be space for troll pledges again (poor jacket)?

As for the "talk with PC parties" i assume it has something to do with Galaxy/Steam/Origin etc. keys, right?

Hesh

Hmm, could only put down $60 during the campaign, but I have a feeling I could put down much more by December 31st. I'm just wondering if I can put my $60 pledge towards that swank $300 signed collector's edition and just pay $240 through Paypal. I might have to e-mail them about this when I've got the money if they haven't clarified whether or not Kickstarter pledges can be "upgraded" via slacker backer pledges.

I'm glad it's finally happened, and I hope this works out well for them. Maybe I'll donate a little bit extra at some point, but I already feel like I splurged out on the Kickstarter enough as it is.

On we go, let's hope we can climb down that stretch-goal column.

I'm still wondering to this day how much Sony is contributing to the project through their own pocket. I'd like to think it's more than they want to let on, but I don't want to see a big controversy emerge about "where the funds are coming from" either. I just hope all those stretch goals are reached somehow.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hmm, could only put down $60 during the campaign, but I have a feeling I could put down much more by December 31st. I'm just wondering if I can put my $60 pledge towards that swank $300 signed collector's edition and just pay $240 through Paypal. I might have to e-mail them about this when I've got the money if they haven't clarified whether or not Kickstarter pledges can be "upgraded" via slacker backer pledges.
The kickstarter update mentions upgrades will be available once they get the surveys up and running.

Surveys, add-ons and upgrades
Surveys are not quite ready yet, but they will be going out during this Slacker Backer campaign. Once the survey system is up and running, add-ons and upgrades will be available for existing Kickstarter backers. We will of course keep you posted here on the Updates page with all the developments.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1355513

varsas

Neo Member
Have they shown any of it? I haven't seen any gameplay or anything. I see some videos on the site but I can't tell if they're from current work or from Kickstarter marketing. Either way, I don't think enough work can be done in four months to then go and ask for more money--basically double if things go their way.

This sounds like you don't know what is involved in software development. The game is due in December 2 years from now so at this stage they should be working on the planning and design of the game in all aspects from the engine to the assets. We're unlikely to see any proper gameplay until a year out from release.

The point of asking for funding now is so that the total budget and planning can be done at the start of the project. As stated in the KS update:
The three month window was set to allow a long enough time to for everyone who wants to support Shenmue III to do so, but short enough to keep the release date on track.
Any extended window would result in delays in finalising the development plans and so would affect the release.

Dreathlock

No PC incoming. Betting money on it. They should have made these discussions before starting this campaign and not after looting millions of dollars.

Mugen08

No PC incoming. Betting money on it. They should have made these discussions before starting this campaign and not after looting millions of dollars.

Trial version is still listed as PC only though. If PC is cancelled it would be wrong on so many levels, I can't imagine anyone messing something up as bad as that would be.

MaxiLive

Yay! Glad they have got this open again, hopefully everyone who missed out on the first round of Kickstarter can hop on the Shenmue 3 hype train now :D

Q. Will there be an Xbox/Wii U/Linux/Mac version for Shenmue 3?
A. Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet. If other platform versions were added as rewards, an announcement would be made on the update page.

I think it is pretty clear that a PC version in planned to be developed.

openrob

This feels wrong. They should start making the game that the Kickstarter funds enabled them to make, and then ask for more money after that's done, or at least show substantial progress i.e. a vertical slice or two, before allowing for more donations. Since Sony is helping to fund/publish the game, even in a small way, this just doesn't feel right.

The thing is this came out of a huge noise for PayPal from the fans. Furthermore, having a dedicated amount of time (3 months) for funding ensures that this doesn't become an ongoing burden, always changing the goalposts, causing them more work in planning and management, and causing the project to drag on - costing money in the long run.

They haven't really started on the game, those interested will know they are still in the planning phase, if they 'wait until some work I'd complete' before asking for more money, it misses the point add it would have wasted all that planning time add they would have to go back and shift the tune line around to account for more funds.

MaxiLive

If it's not announced within the next few days SEGA will be the dumbest company in the industry.

A bit of hyperbole right there :p

I bet Sega are in no position to release/announce any HD remakes. If they do plan to you'll probably see the announcements in early-mid 2017 with a launch running around a similar time to Shenmue III. It is wayyyyyyyyyyy too early to talk about re-releases.

hodgy100

Have they shown any of it? I haven't seen any gameplay or anything. I see some videos on the site but I can't tell if they're from current work or from Kickstarter marketing. Either way, I don't think enough work can be done in four months to then go and ask for more money--basically double if things go their way.

that was a quick prototype. they arent going to have much to show after a couple of months. games take years to make ffs give them some time.

A bit of hyperbole right there :p

I bet Sega are in no position to release/announce any HD remakes. If they do plan to you'll probably see the announcements in early-mid 2017 with a launch running around a similar time to Shenmue III. It is wayyyyyyyyyyy too early to talk about re-releases.

They need to get all the people who haven't played the previous games to donate towards Shenmue III. The sooner they announce them the better. They need to get the ball rolling with fresh excitement. Now is the perfect time with the announcement of PayPal. Waiting for early-mid 2017 would be ridiculous.

Harlequin

It doesn't have to be complete, I would just like to see some progress before asking for more money for more stretch goals.

Game development doesn't work that way. Quite a few of the stretch goals would require advance planning and aren't just things you can easily slap on after the fact. By the time they'd have any actual gameplay to show it'd be too late for them to still be able to easily go back in and add all of the stretch goals, while adding some of the others would delay the game's schedule. That's why they need to know early on what kind of budget they'll have available to them.

Nibel

Concern trolling at it again.
e5YuU.gif

This was heavily requested by fans since not everybody is able to use Kickstarter. Besides, if you would have informed yourself you'd know they already posted a progress report - yes, this is what a game looks like in early pre-production.

Does this initiative make you feel bad in your tummy? Well guess what, the X in the upper-right corner of your browser is there for a reason. I'm tired of this 'ethics in crowdfunding' agenda some have developed during Shenmue 3's campaign; game development needs money and planning and this is what they are doing right now + working on pre-production stuff.

Kuraudo

Banned
I backed out on the KS because I was saving for uni over the time. I was awarded a scholarship shortly after, leaving me with some ready cash. Will send a bit Shenmue's way.

Shiggy

I think s better production team would have started a second Kickstarter by now, e.g. for an anime or for additional voice acting in Shenmue 3. Amateurs...

MaxiLive

They need to get all the people who haven't played the previous games to donate towards Shenmue III. The sooner they announce them the better. They need to get the ball rolling with fresh excitement. Now is the perfect time with the announcement of PayPal. Waiting for early-mid 2017 would be ridiculous.

Not for a game studio it isn't as it doesn't help at all with Sega's profits and development costs. They may get a little return on the additional funding to Shenmue 3 via the royalties but the amount of extra donations a Shenmue HD announcement would bring it would actually be pretty minimal. A HD release would be different but announcement isn't going to change many peoples minds as its aimed at current fans.

I bet they also don't have any teams in a position to green light a Shenmue remake/re-release at the moment so it isn't something you can even consider announcing! Also announcement a remake this early would either get a lot more backlash from the re-make haters of this generation cycle or would set far too high expectations. "ZOMG They had 2 years to do a remake and all they did was improve the textures, why no UE4 Sega... wth..." That type of criticism.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to hear about a Shenmue HD remake and it would make for awesome publicity but in the real business world that is going to barely make a blip on Sega's financial spreadsheets. I think the most Sega could do is mention they are looking into the possibility of a re-release at TGS but even then it will mean months of harassment though their social media and other platforms. "WHY IS THERE A TRAILER FOR SONIC DASH IOS?!!! WHERE IS SHENMUE HD TRAILER GRRRR."

Yazuka

I think s better production team would have started a second Kickstarter by now, e.g. for an anime or for additional voice acting in Shenmue 3. Amateurs...

Haha, thank you. I burst out laughing so no I have to explain myself to some of my friends. XD

Not for a game studio it isn't as it doesn't help at all with Sega's profits and development costs. They may get a little return on the additional funding to Shenmue 3 via the royalties but the amount of extra donations a Shenmue HD announcement would bring it would actually be pretty minimal. A HD release would be different but announcement isn't going to change many peoples minds as its aimed at current fans.

I bet they also don't have any teams in a position to green light a Shenmue remake/re-release at the moment so it isn't something you can even consider announcing! Also announcement a remake this early would either get a lot more backlash from the re-make haters of this generation cycle or would set far too high expectations. "ZOMG They had 2 years to do a remake and all they did was improve the textures, why no UE4 Sega... wth..." That type of criticism.

Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome to hear about a Shenmue HD remake and it would make for awesome publicity but in the real business world that is going to barely make a blip on Sega's financial spreadsheets. I think the most Sega could do is mention they are looking into the possibility of a re-release at TGS but even then it will mean months of harassment though their social media and other platforms. "WHY IS THERE A TRAILER FOR SONIC DASH IOS?!!! WHERE IS SHENMUE HD TRAILER GRRRR."

Stop making sense and just give me my damn HD re-releases! ;_;
Seriously though, you bring up pretty good points.

e37.png

Inafune, Mighty No.9 :p

Ah ok. Haven't been following that game. :p

Spaghetti

I found this interesting:

I wonder what this might mean for people who already backed a PC version, if they don't like whatever the outcome of this discussion is.

I read that this site was in large part created for Japanese fans, because many don't tend to like Kickstarter. It was on one interview or another with Suzuki. That could mean if those fans get wind, the funding may jump up a bit.

Every major game that's been on Kickstarter (going back to, and including Double Fine Adventure, which arguably popularised Kickstarter) has offered "slacker backer" backing and it's worked out fine in many of those cases.
R.E pc version: i imagine it's relating to a possible greenlight situation. once the details are hashed out i can possibly see a second pc-centric paypal funding effort with the game on greenlight

Top Bottom