• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

Spaghetti

and yes the concern trolling is back in force it seems. it is better to have the pay pal money in place early in production so the budget can be adjusted smartly and properly.

This feels wrong. They should start making the game that the Kickstarter funds enabled them to make, and then ask for more money after that's done, or at least show substantial progress i.e. a vertical slice or two, before allowing for more donations. Since Sony is helping to fund/publish the game, even in a small way, this just doesn't feel right.

Not this shitto again. Sony is only publishing and funding the PS4 port, not the game.

Spaghetti

Not this shitto again. Sony is only publishing and funding the PS4 port, not the game.
actually they're not even contributing any $ amount directly towards development, regardless of version. sony's role appears limited to support on marketing and technical assistance. it helps cover costs that may have otherwise sapped the KS money, but ones unrelated to the actual development of the game.

Oriel

The addition of a PP campaign took way too long to materialise. The time for this should have been the moment the KS ended, not three months after when a lot of the momentum in then campaign has evaporated away. It feels like all the work to get people onboard with Shenmue III will have to be done again. Round 2, here we go.

actually they're not even contributing any $ amount directly towards development, regardless of version. sony's role appears limited to support on marketing and technical assistance. it helps cover costs that may have otherwise sapped the KS money, but ones unrelated to the actual development of the game.

Correct, it is even in the FAQS
How are Sony and Shibuya Productions involved?

Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support, Ys Net is able to use more of the money collected through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars.

The whole concern trolling is getting annoying. If people are truly concern, the FAQS basically answers the basic stuff that people needs to know before funding. This isn't like other kickstarters where the $$$ had to be split between making the game + some form of advertisement. With Shibuya & Sony, the team doesn't have to worry about advertising and marketing the game and having to dip into the money from the Kickstarter, which means the money that they get from the kickstarter is being used to development Shenmue 3.

On-Topic;
Once I payday comes, I'll up my pledge from $60 to the $120 pledge (or maybe the $160, that unrelease art is tempting).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
How can they ask for money when it is still so shady how much SONY is contributing??! I demand answers

shiyrley

Banned
I backed on Kickstarter for the physical PC version. I'm gonna be very pissed off if something happened to the PC version. I mean, they can't even offer the PC digital version on this paypal thing? And they are "discussing the PC version"?. what.

MUnited83

For you.
I backed on Kickstarter for the physical PC version. I'm gonna be very pissed off if something happened to the PC version. I mean, they can't even offer the PC digital version on this paypal thing? And they are "discussing the PC version"?. what.

"At the moment, we are discussing the PC version with the related parties."

This doesn't mean they aren't working on a PC version, it means they have to work out a deal with whoever they are publishing with the PC version to include it in this particular campaign. Come on now. PC version is fine and it's obviously still coming.

SeppOCE

I've already spent $1,065.36 Australian Dollars on Shenmue III and I'm now ready for round 2!

BiRPdeO.gif

This series must definitely mean a lot to you.

I was thinking along the lines of 10 dollars xD

Ampsicora

The Pc version is confirmed, read the entire FAQ.

This feels wrong. They should start making the game that the Kickstarter funds enabled them to make, and then ask for more money after that's done, or at least show substantial progress i.e. a vertical slice or two, before allowing for more donations. Since Sony is helping to fund/publish the game, even in a small way, this just doesn't feel right.

This was a request from people who wanted to donate, but couldn't via Kickstarter. If you're not interested, then don't donate. I'm not sure why people act like there is something shady about people having an option to donate. The concern trolling is real.

Erevador

This was a request from people who wanted to donate, but couldn't via Kickstarter. If you're not interesting, then don't donate. I'm not why people act like there is somethings shady about people having an option to donate. The concern trolling is real.
Yes, Kickstarter can be especially difficult for people in certain countries. Paypal makes it easier for those people to donate.

ajim

Fuck yeah.

Hopefully they do a bit of.marketing for this because the buzz is gone since the ks finished.

I'll be donating again

This series must definitely mean a lot to you.

I was thinking along the lines of 10 dollars xD

Very much so. Shenmue II is my favourite videogame of all time followed by the first Shenmue. I put them both on an extremely high pedestal and consider them masterpieces.

Also, 10 dollars is better than nothing! : )

I can upgrade my pledge to the $60 physical tier, yes?

Sweet, if so.

You'll be able to once the surveys are up and running (which should be during this funding campaign):

Surveys are not quite ready yet, but they will be going out during this Slacker Backer campaign. Once the survey system is up and running, add-ons and upgrades will be available for existing Kickstarter backers. We will of course keep you posted here on the Updates page with all the developments.

shiyrley

Banned
I know I panicked over nothing, but I just got confirmation that everythin's ok with the PC version and that's nice:
cede8c5aab.png

Harmen

People, that PC thing doesn't mean anything regarding development. It is just that trough the kickstarter campaign, you could get the game cheap (30 dollars) and it means it lowers/influences the sales potential down the road. They are probably still negotiating/planning publishing plans on PC. As for the PS4 they have already made plans with Sony and can already promise it to new backers as well.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Once the survey system is up and running, add-ons and upgrades will be available for existing Kickstarter backers. We will of course keep you posted here on the Updates page with all the developments.

This will make some people very happy.

It seems they solved the issues backers had with the KS with this. Very good. Hopefully they replaced Awesome Japan or whoever they were.

Garlador

Just a mandatory reminder to myself and others that "OMG SHENMUE III IS HAPPENING!"

... It will still seem surreal right up until the moment I play it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Just a mandatory reminder to myself and others that "OMG SHENMUE III IS HAPPENING!"

... It will still seem surreal right up until the moment I play it.

Yeah, it's still unbelievable. And I'm a freaking backer. Holy crap.

MiguelItUp

Come onnnnn ragdoll! I still can't believe it's a thing that's really happening. It's going to feel so incredibly nostalgic it's insane.

R.E pc version: i imagine it's relating to a possible greenlight situation. once the details are hashed out i can possibly see a second pc-centric paypal funding effort with the game on greenlight
I doubt they'll do a separate PC funding run, but instead will just add PC to the existing page they have setup.

I also don't think there's anything untoward for the delay in adding the PC option, and they've been pretty open about the whole thing (despite what some people think). The main thing from my point of view is that some are completely opposed to DRM in any form, and though the game was never promised as DRM-free, I can see some wanting a refund if they disagree with whatever DRM/storefront is chosen.

JP

OK, I have questions and they are very likely to be stupid questions to everybody else.

I backed the Kickstarter (Physical PS4 edition, with a little extra money on top for them), not really a fan of the games but wanted to help because people have been so enthusiastic about this project and Yu Suzuki really sounded like this was his passion project. I've paid for the Kickstarter, that's out of the way so I'm happy try and support this as well but I've never helped in one of these post-Kickstarter campaigns before.

If I back this campaign too, is it connected to me Kickstarter account in any way or is completely separate? As this seems a bit different, are payments taken at the end of the campaign as happens in Kickstarter or is the money taken as soon as Pledge it? Are campaigns like this usually successful, is there a chance they'll actually reach some of the other stretch goals?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
The 100$ reward comes with the physical version of ps4 in an exclusive case(Like the 60$ reward)? Or only with a normal case?(different from the 60$ reward?)

OK, I have questions and they are very likely to be stupid questions to everybody else.

I backed the Kickstarter (Physical PS4 edition, with a little extra money on top for them), not really a fan of the games but wanted to help because people have been so enthusiastic about this project and Yu Suzuki really sounded like this was his passion project. I've paid for the Kickstarter, that's out of the way so I'm happy try and support this as well but I've never helped in one of these post-Kickstarter campaigns before.

If I back this campaign too, is it connected to me Kickstarter account in any way or is completely separate? As this seems a bit different, are payments taken at the end of the campaign as happens in Kickstarter or is the money taken as soon as Pledge it? Are campaigns like this usually successful, is there a chance they'll actually reach some of the other stretch goals?
Addressing the bolded question, usually I'd give an automatic "no". Most kickstarter campaigns don't draw a substantial amount of money via paypal post-campaign. BUT, most kickstarter campaigns don't have such a dedicated fanbase. If I had to guess... another $500k via paypal? Breaking $7m would be cool, maybe...?

I'm also interested on whether they're able to link paypal money with existing backer accounts...

epmode

Are campaigns like this usually successful, is there a chance they'll actually reach some of the other stretch goals?

I'd estimate that PayPal usually accounts for 10-15% of a Kickstarted project's funding, but that's when PayPal is offered during the original campaign. Not sure how much of a push they'll get offering PayPal so late.

Slacker Backer campaigns typically don't do big numbers either.

I'm thinking Shenmue will reach $7M before the Slacker Backer campaign is through. I'm hoping for $7.5, though. That high ground system sounds neat.

Shenmue

Banned
Very much so. Shenmue II is my favourite videogame of all time followed by the first Shenmue. I put them both on an extremely high pedestal and consider them masterpieces.

Also, 10 dollars is better than nothing! : )

I'm with you! Put in over a grand too. This is the best series of video games bar none.

ArjanN

No PC incoming. Betting money on it. They should have made these discussions before starting this campaign and not after looting millions of dollars.

Hey guys, this guy is giving away free money!

I'd estimate that PayPal usually accounts for 10-15% of a Kickstarted project's funding, but that's when PayPal is offered during the original campaign. Not sure how much of a push they'll get offering PayPal so late.

Slacker Backer campaigns typically don't do big numbers either.

I'm thinking Shenmue will reach $7M before the Slacker Backer campaign is through. I'm hoping for $7.5, though. That high ground system sounds neat.

The Shantae: Half-Genie Hero slacker backer campaign did pretty decent, that got like an exta 170K, which was two more of their stretch goals I think.

But yeah, ideally they would have opened it right after the regular kickstarter.

Top Bottom