• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

ajim

you know what it sounds like to me? like how sometimes in gtav if you're close enough to someone during a melee attack, your character will sorta magnetise to them and add a few steps to wind up before launching the attack.

that's just a fairly basic implementation of a similar concept though. for shenmue 3 it would be far more complex because of being built-in to a full hand to hand combat system. i dunno if we can make another $500,000 in the time the paypal is going to continue to be open for, but i really hope we get close enough for the developers to try implementing this.
I've never played gtav, but that makes a lot of sense.

celsowmbr

Banned
From https://twitter.com/NovinWorksPlus/status/681809796366897152/photo/1

LWzL8ux.gif

celsowmbr

Banned
I know after Shenmue II's ending that the story was heading into a more fantastical direction, but this is ridiculous. Is Ryo really going to swap his kung-fu skills for some kind of futuristic laser gun now?

Hahaha :) no no... this picture is just a generic tech sample (in a lib's level)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
500K until the next stretch goal?! Daaamn. It seems impossible right now.

But I'm glad we got ragdoll.

I know after Shenmue II's ending that the story was heading into a more fantastical direction, but this is ridiculous. Is Ryo really going to swap his kung-fu skills for some kind of futuristic laser gun now?

Not to mention that instead of the men in the black suits, he is fighting the Blue Man Group.

miku

So no chance of reaching $7 million at all?

From dualshockers:
G: Could you explain what the “AI Battling” part of the seven million stretch goal entails?

YS: It’s a system that will make the character respond intelligently to the commands given by the player during battle. With simple commands you’ll be able to execute complex techniques.

At this point Suzuki-san showcased how it’ll work visually, showing that if the player and the enemy are not correctly aligned, pressing the punch button without the system would cause the player to hit the air, punching straight in front of him. With this intelligent system, the character will perform steps to dynamically align with the enemy, coming at them with a hook motion.

Another example shown by Suzuki-san involved a situation with a wall close to the character and the enemy, with the character jumping on the wall and then punching the enemy in mid-air in a movie-like attack. You can enjoy his demonstration in the video below.

Yu Suzuki Demonstrates the "AI Battling" System in Shenmue III - PS4/PC

Spaghetti

So no chance of reaching $7 million at all?
it really depends on how long the paypal campaign is extended for, if upgrades are finally sorted out for kickstarter backers, and if PC is finally added to the slacker backer campaign options

i hope they'll keep it open past february at least. the magic monaco update should provide a teaser trailer, a glimpse at the gameplay, and generally provide a new slew of (hopefully positive) media attention that gets people pointed in the direction of the paypal campaign.

there's also the chance that a shenmue HD collection surfacing could get people interested, but only sega can make that happen.

if most of the above happens, and they keep the paypal going until the anniversary of the kickstarter ending, or maybe the anniversary of the paypal campaign starting, i think they can definitely make the $500,000 needed to get past the $7 million stretch goal.

we know that the developers are experimenting with features not yet hit in the stretch goals in some capacity because of UE4 proving more efficient than originally thought, but there's no way of knowing if they'll manage to get the AI battling function in without hitting the stretch goal.

miku

it really depends on how long the paypal campaign is extended for, if upgrades are finally sorted out for kickstarter backers, and if PC is finally added to the slacker backer campaign options

i hope they'll keep it open past february at least. the magic monaco update should provide a teaser trailer, a glimpse at the gameplay, and generally provide a new slew of (hopefully positive) media attention that gets people pointed in the direction of the paypal campaign.

there's also the chance that a shenmue HD collection surfacing could get people interested, but only sega can make that happen.

if most of the above happens, and they keep the paypal going until the anniversary of the kickstarter ending, or maybe the anniversary of the paypal campaign starting, i think they can definitely make the $500,000 needed to get past the $7 million stretch goal.

we know that the developers are experimenting with features not yet hit in the stretch goals in some capacity because of UE4 proving more efficient than originally thought, but there's no way of knowing if they'll manage to get the AI battling function in without hitting the stretch goal.

In other words, the Slacker Backer campaign will be extended indefinitely until they sorted out the PC/add-on/up-grades system?

Ive used unreal a little and as far as i know minigames, gamestools, etc can be copied and pasted to other areas within seconds as blueprints. Wouldn't that make some of those stretch goals easily achievable? Maybe they plan on making new unique minigames in each area?

Would reallly like to know what the magic maze and kung mastery is.

Spaghetti

Ive used unreal a little and as far as i know minigames, gamestools, etc can be copied and pasted to other areas within seconds as blueprints. Wouldn't that make some of those stretch goals easily achievable? Maybe they plan on making new unique minigames in each area?

i always read the stretch goals for mini games as enlarging the game world to accommodate them, not necessarily just developing the games.

magic maze refers to using the same procedurally generated methods for the rooms in kowloon in S2, in a forest outside of bailu village, and then filling it with 'quests'.

we haven't heard anything about kung fu mastery goal but my theory is that it will increase the number of moves ryo has by mocapping and implementing motions of a traditional chinese martial art.

Spaghetti

I would love to have that feature and explore it fully.

I know Dobuita better than my own neighborhood. Dunno if that's a good or bad thing haha.
we're still getting the forest, no idea if it'll be "magic maze" style though.

yu did say during his chinese presentation that they're thinking of doubling the size of it from 2KMx2KM to 4x4 because of the content they have planned, so it'll still be a sizable area with lots to do hopefully.

Magic Maze was one of the first implementation of a procedurally generated content in a game. It allowed Shenmue 2 to have every room available in a building thanks to an algorithm. This also applied to the forest area in disc 4. A prime example of working within limitations without taking away the illusion of immersion for the player.

we're still getting the forest, no idea if it'll be "magic maze" style though.

yu did say during his chinese presentation that they're thinking of doubling the size of it from 2KMx2KM to 4x4 because of the content they have planned, so it'll still be a sizable area with lots to do hopefully.

It's been 3 generations post dreamcast and UE4 is capable of creating a countryside (see Kite demo) without stressing the engine too much. Knowing Suzuki, he should be working within the scope of his own budget but would be that more signifcant compared to the previous games thanks to the new technology and power of the hardware available to use.

Spaghetti

It's been 3 generations post dreamcast and UE4 is capable of creating a countryside (see Kite demo) without stressing the engine too much. Knowing Suzuki, he should be working within the scope of his own budget but would be that more signifcant compared to the previous games thanks to the new technology and power of the hardware available to use.
yeah, i saw the detailed breakdown of how the kite demo was built in a UE4 features talk and it really emphasised how well the engine is able to create large, natural environments.

i think budget is *probably* the constraining factor, but part of the testing phase they're in now was detailed in a kickstarter update and finding a sweet spot for the size of environments was one of the primary goals listed. it'll likely be hard to see where ambition ends and technical/budget limitations begin, which is ideal because it won't seem like one compromised the other. either way, the forest is only one part of the game and likely a transitional area between bailu village and chobu.

chobu is probably the real testing ground for how well the budget/engine allows for an environment that fits the traditional shenmue style, being roughly the size of dobuita and looking like a riverside kowloon.

Spaghetti

But the photo in the 60$ reward is blue and the other ones is red,so maybe the 60$ reward is exclusive and different from the others?
as the ps4 physical came as a later reward during the kickstarter, they had to differentiate between the pc physical that was already being offered, hence the image having a blue case. basically the blue and red seems only for the purposes of the rewards images and has zero impact of what the backer case will look like, which should look the same on all platforms and all tiers with a physical copy.

Aku-Audi

Quick question. I pledged for the slacker backer campaign 2 months ago or so and got a receipt for it, but are we supposed to get updates or something through email? Or is it basically just the paypal receipt and that's it?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Finally i chose the 100$ reward.Now i have to wait for an email of ys net or something like that?Or i'm done until they ask me about if i want the physical or digital version of the game and what name i want to put in the credits?

It's my 1st kickstarter game i support.

Spaghetti

Quick question. I pledged for the slacker backer campaign 2 months ago or so and got a receipt for it, but are we supposed to get updates or something through email? Or is it basically just the paypal receipt and that's it?
like the kickstarter updates? not sure actually. if not, the updates are usually well documented in this or the main shenmue 3 kickstarter thread, or even the shenmue community thread. they're also documented on the shenmue dojo forum in the shenmue 3 section.

Finally i chose the 100$ reward.Now i have to wait for an email of ys net or something like that?Or i'm done until they ask me about if i want the physical or digital version of the game and what name i want to put in the credits?

It's my 1st kickstarter game i support.
yeah, you just have to wait until the surveys go out closer to release of the game.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
like the kickstarter updates? not sure actually. if not, the updates are usually well documented in this or the main shenmue 3 kickstarter thread, or even the shenmue community thread. they're also documented on the shenmue dojo forum in the shenmue 3 section.

yeah, you just have to wait until the surveys go out closer to release of the game.

Thanks for the info.

karnage10

Banned
i hope they extend the dealine and add the PC version. i couldn't back the original kickstarter and iw ant this game for PC. I want to see how this game gets made, the original shenmue was something that made me see video games as an art form and not just mindless entertainment.

Spaghetti

i hope they extend the dealine and add the PC version. i couldn't back the original kickstarter and iw ant this game for PC. I want to see how this game gets made, the original shenmue was something that made me see video games as an art form and not just mindless entertainment.
the deadline is extended, actually. we're also being told the PC version will be made available to slacker backers, though we don't actually know when yet.

Spaghetti

Everybody should check out this great little article by Shenmue Dojo's Amir about his weekend in Monaco and Èze with Yu Suzuki.

I don't think fans have ever had this kind of extended access to a game developer before, so it's pretty interesting to read something more in-depth than the usual "I met them at the airport/a trade show" stuff you get with say, Miyamoto.

Anyway, it's a really nice read with a good few laughs. Yu seems like a creative, friendly, and good humoured guy.

Top Bottom