• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

shiyrley

Banned
So, now that Kojima is working close with Sony, how about a little touch from him on this game? I mean, not like a very important role in the development, but a "thing" will be fine
- Ryo, what power do these mirrors have?
- Nanomachines.

Spaghetti

So, now that Kojima is working close with Sony, how about a little touch from him on this game? I mean, not like a very important role in the development, but a "thing" will be fine
that's not really how it works.

kojima doesn't work for sony, he's not going to be parachuted into random games that are coming to ps4 at some point in the future. even then, it'd be a.) disruptive and b.) rude to suddenly drop in a dev to a studio so that they can work on a game they have zero connection to.

kojima can handle his own game, as i'm sure yu suzuki is perfectly capable of handling shenmue 3.

Huggy

What do you guys think a ragdoll reaction is? A simple animation to ragdoll transition?
I'm no expert on UE4, but I'd almost think hitting that switch is easier than to animate a death animation.

Spaghetti

What do you guys think a ragdoll reaction is? A simple animation to ragdoll transition?
I'm no expert on UE4, but I'd almost think hitting that switch is easier than to animate a death animation.
i made a post on the previous page about how it'd likely be involved in grapples in the same way the basic physics in shenmue/II worked. in an ideal world i think it'd be part of unbalancing an opponent.

imagine staggering an enemy and then being able to totally sweep them off their feet to make them collapse backwards in a dynamic animation that could then have them collide and unbalance other enemies.

given they're also trying out ways the physics can interact with the environment, i think this system of unbalancing and knocking over enemies will work with that too.

FIIBTjH.gif

9RcAmW0.gif

Spaghetti

Have they remade the character models yet ? Haven't followed much of it after I donated.
there was this new image of shenhua that appeared i think on the website for the expo yu suzuki was attending in china when he did the presentation in november:
R2RftPd.png

also this image of ryo was in the october update, which they said even then was an old model:
APfDmAm.png

again, these are a few months old. we'll likely see the updated character models in the big february update.

Skyrim

Banned

I think the kickstarter needs 60 million goal.

Joy is going to wear bra and panties because clothes suffocate her

Slaythe

there was this new image of shenhua that appeared i think on the website for the expo yu suzuki was attending in china when he did the presentation in november:
R2RftPd.png

also this image of ryo was in the october update, which they said even then was an old model:
APfDmAm.png

again, these are a few months old. we'll likely see the updated character models in the big february update.

Thanks !

She looks good.

Ryo not so much, but they have time !

Spaghetti

Thanks !

She looks good.

Ryo not so much, but they have time !
yeah, i think the ryo model is probably just the one from e3 at a more flattering angle. the shenhua images are more representative of current work anyway, they remind me of the dreamcast era CG renders of her.

fixed that for you.

I think we can also get Druckman in Shenmue too.
everybody gets fired

druckmannnnnnnnnnn!

Spaghetti

wVFHVHN.png

i only just realised the image for the xmas update has a silhouette of ryo in his forklift being pulled by ducks

heh, the forklift i understand, but the ducks are a surprisingly obscure reference to that amazing shenmue II easter egg. i wonder if duck racing will be making a return?

personally i can't wait to see what the fishing minigame looks like. i'm a sucker for stuff like that, the fishing minigame in twilight princess is probably one of my favourite things about that game (and the marble game too i guess). there was also that sega bass fishing reference in the bait shop of queen's street in shenmue II. i'm guessing fishing in shenmue is an old idea that they're finally going to realise.

i want a physical copy of this game but i'm trying to save some moolah right now. should i risk waiting to see if this gets a store retail release, or just say fuck it and back it now?

Spaghetti

i want a physical copy of this game but i'm trying to save some moolah right now. should i risk waiting to see if this gets a store retail release, or just say fuck it and back it now?
it's getting a retail release, but you might as well do it now. at least this way the money goes a.) directly to the developer, and b.) actively helps improve the game. no retailer middleman taking a cut.

Spaghetti

is a retail release 100% confirmed at this point?

Physical copy for backers is the only thing guaranteed at the moment, though I imagine it will be available when the game officially releases, at least through online orders if nothing else.
shenmue 3 producer cedric biscay said during a charity livestream in either october or november that it would see a retail release.

that said, i would still advise just pledging for it now if that's an option. like i said earlier, you don't get a retailer taking a cut, and the money goes straight to helping the developer.

So a retail release in that respect would mean that there are going to be physical copies for the masses? That's news to me and nice to hear. I wonder how they will handle distribution, and especially who is going to handle that.

I am also quite relieved that they are going to extend the PayPal campaign, but, oh boy, they lost so much momentum, it's just sad.

is a retail release 100% confirmed at this point?

So a retail release in that respect would mean that there are going to be physical copies for the masses?

Cedric stated in a recent interview that there will definitely be a physical version of the game in stores in his first ever statement confirming so. However there's a big difference between your $60 going directly to the developers to produce the game and the retailer taking an extremely large cut of that and only contributing minimally to the game's revenue i.e. your money is much, much better off going to the studio to help them produce Shenmue 3. I'll be jumping on the slacker backer campaign for a PS4 copy as soon as I'm in the financial position to do so.

So glad the campaign's being extended. 6.5 million should comfortably be in reach now making all of this completely worth it IMO.

Spaghetti

So a retail release in that respect would mean that there are going to be physical copies for the masses? That's news to me and nice to hear. I wonder how they will handle distribution, and especially who is going to handle that.

I am also quite relieved that they are going to extend the PayPal campaign, but, oh boy, they lost so much momentum, it's just sad.
well, the paypal campaign was never going to light the world on fire, because post-Kickstarter additional funding never does (bar star citizen which is its own isolated thing that can't be replicated for a game like shenmue).

it'll close out above $200,000 total, which is par for course with slacker backer campaigns anyway. awesome japan never really put much effort into it though. like the kickstarter, they relied on the fans to do the work in getting the word out and keeping the discussion (like this thread) active.

doesn't matter anyway. the game seems to be shaping up fine, yu suzuki is firing on all cylinders creatively, and they've made some inspired hiring choices like nocon kid. roll on february for the big magic monaco update, and hopefully the teaser trailer.

Cedric stated in a recent interview that there will definitely be a physical version of the game in stores in his first ever statement confirming so. However there's a big difference between your $60 going directly to the developers to produce the game and the retailer taking an extremely large cut of that and only contributing minimally to the game's revenue i.e. your money is much, much better off going to the studio to help them produce Shenmue 3. I'll be jumping on the slacker backer campaign for a PS4 copy as soon as I'm in the financial position to do so.

So glad the campaign's being extended. 6.5 million should comfortably be in reach now making all of this completely worth it IMO.
exactly this x10000

i can understand the people who were saying "i'll wait to see it at retail" when the paypal/kickstarter happened, but now we're at the stage where there's enough information and media materials out there about what the game is going to be like, that if you've got an intention of buying shenmue 3, you might as well do it through the slacker backer option. it'll make sure all your money goes to the developer to make the game better, instead of letting a retailer take a cut for the finished product.

i'm not gonna kid myself and say the slacker backer campaign can make millions and millions, because it plainly won't, but i think in the right circumstances (with the PC version added to the slacker backer page and upgrades finally sorted out), it can maybe hit a $7 million total if it runs until like april or something.

Spaghetti

Is there an option for the PC version under $100?
the PC version isn't available on the slacker backer site at all (yet, but we've been told it's coming). the $100 tier only has the trial version (aka the demo) for PC, but the full game included is either digital or physical PS4.

Shenmue

Banned
Man I keep wondering what the campaign would have been like if it was run like Indivisible or Muv-Luv. I'm backing all 3 of these games and oh my god Muv-Luv is run fucking pro as hell, which you totally wouldn't expect. Indivisible is too of course because of Lab Zero's passion and dedication.

the PC version isn't available on the slacker backer site at all (yet, but we've been told it's coming). the $100 tier only has the trial version (aka the demo) for PC, but the full game included is either digital or physical PS4.
Wtf that's weird I would mind getting the ps 4 version but I would rather get it on pc...

true enough, but that's still a pleasant surprise. hopefully we'll hear more about the details of the ragdoll reaction after the goal is hit, i'm so interested in seeing how it'll impact combat.

I'm assuming it'll just be once someone is knocked out you'll be able to walk over the body and have them react/move instead of being as still as a rock.

I'm assuming it'll just be once someone is knocked out you'll be able to walk over the body and have them react/move instead of being as still as a rock.

Its a bit more complicated than this. Thats why its a stretch goal. Yu Suzuki said in an interview that the "Ragdoll System" is meant to mix different systems such as ragdolls, motion blending and IK constraints for a better physic for the bodies.

Its a bit more complicated than this. Thats why its a stretch goal. Yu Suzuki said in an interview that the "Ragdoll System" is meant to mix different systems such as ragdolls, motion blending and IK constraints for a better physic for the bodies.

Interesting. Can't wait to hear more....

Spaghetti

this

i think it's more to do with throw moves and low kicks to unbalance the enemy realistically.

Spaghetti

h0aTFxY.jpg

ragdoll reaction get.

next up, $7 million for AI Battling

as described by yu suzuki, the AI Battling stretchgoal is:

"It’s a system that will make the character respond intelligently to the commands given by the player during battle. With simple commands you’ll be able to execute complex techniques.

At this point Suzuki-san showcased how it’ll work visually, showing that if the player and the enemy are not correctly aligned, pressing the punch button without the system would cause the player to hit the air, punching straight in front of him. With this intelligent system, the character will perform steps to dynamically align with the enemy, coming at them with a hook motion.

Another example shown by Suzuki-san involved a situation with a wall close to the character and the enemy, with the character jumping on the wall and then punching the enemy in mid-air in a movie-like attack.
"

basically, probably involves animation blending to dynamically allow ryo to attack an enemy in range even if they're not fully aligned.

h0aTFxY.jpg

ragdoll reaction get.

"It’s a system that will make the character respond intelligently to the commands given by the player during battle. With simple commands you’ll be able to execute complex techniques.

At this point Suzuki-san showcased how it’ll work visually, showing that if the player and the enemy are not correctly aligned, pressing the punch button without the system would cause the player to hit the air, punching straight in front of him. With this intelligent system, the character will perform steps to dynamically align with the enemy, coming at them with a hook motion.

Another example shown by Suzuki-san involved a situation with a wall close to the character and the enemy, with the character jumping on the wall and then punching the enemy in mid-air in a movie-like attack.
"

basically, probably involves animation blending to dynamically allow ryo to attack an enemy in range even if they're not fully aligned.

Damn that goal sounds totally worth it.

Spaghetti

Damn that goal sounds totally worth it.
mhm, same with the higher ground system, which has been described as a system for utilising the environment dynamically in attacks.

nobody knows how long the paypal campaign has been extended to, but given that the campaign made like $8000 alone yesterday, maybe there's a chance it could hit $7 million if the right things happen, such as:

. the PC version being added to the slacker backer site
. upgrades for Kickstarter pledges being added
. bolstering the hype train after the big february update for magic monaco
. running the campaign up until april or even further and end it on the first anniversary of the kickstarter ending

of course, shenmue remasters would help this too, but that is entirely out of the hands of YSnet.

I didn't think we'd make it to 65k, and now we have a PayPal extension and somehow managed 25k in less than a week after it was announced that the deadline would be extended. I'm guessing the Shenhua house video was great advertising?

Spaghetti

I didn't think we'd make it to 65k, and now we have a PayPal extension and somehow managed 25k in less than a week after it was announced that the deadline would be extended. I'm guessing the Shenhua house video was great advertising?
maybe. for what is effectively footage from a game prototype, it certainly displayed the shenmue feel and attention to detail is still there. if the video is what caused a boost, i'd find it quite hilarious considering it leaked by mistake and was caught by eagle-eyed fans who nabbed a copy to reupload.

the footage is here, for anybody who hasn't seen it already.

i think this thread livening up some helped. i would personally attribute it to an end of campaign boost like the kickstarter had, even if the end has been extended to some date in the future.

ajim

h0aTFxY.jpg

ragdoll reaction get.

"

That actually sounds excellent and pretty innovative if I'm understanding it correctly!

Spaghetti

That actually sounds excellent and pretty innovative if I'm understanding it correctly!
you know what it sounds like to me? like how sometimes in gtav if you're close enough to someone during a melee attack, your character will sorta magnetise to them and add a few steps to wind up before launching the attack.

that's just a fairly basic implementation of a similar concept though. for shenmue 3 it would be far more complex because of being built-in to a full hand to hand combat system. i dunno if we can make another $500,000 in the time the paypal is going to continue to be open for, but i really hope we get close enough for the developers to try implementing this.

Spaghetti

about ragdoll reaction from yu suzuki:

Yu Suzuki : Some of you may know what the Ragdoll physics is. If you release the strength of the body, it becomes like a doll, that's not really natural. That's why we're working on the «Motion Blending», adding some resistance to the muscles for example, to obtain realistic moves.

In a Virtua Fighter scene, patterns were determined by the Motion Capture, but with the Ragdoll physics, moves won't repeat over and over. If you get into something (like a wall) the reaction won't be the same. In fact, I'd like to combine the «Ragdoll Physics», the «Motion Blending» and «IK Constraint» to make the NPC and battle's reactions as real as possible.
source

Wow. I had no idea the campaign had reached 6.5million. Is it possible the game has a 10 million+ dollar budget with external funds from publishers/investors?

Spaghetti

Wow. I had no idea the campaign had reached 6.5million. Is it possible the game has a 10 million+ dollar budget with external funds from publishers/investors?
10+ million total? it's entirely possible it already has, if you include startup costs from before the kickstarter even appeared. crucially, we don't know if yu obtained the shenmue licence for free. as far as we know, it took a long time to get due to haggling with sega, but that could still mean it took a lot of money to licence. that money likely came from shibuya productions.

if you don't include that? maybe. we don't know if any arrangements have been made since the kickstarter ended with interested parties looking to invest.

we do know the development team are able to extend the money they've got further than they thought because of the efficiency of UE4, but we won't know to what extent until the game comes out.

ultimately, it's important not to hold that $10 million figure as some golden standard that the game has to meet. through the kickstarter updates and stretch goals hit so far, we know the game is going to be quite fleshed out in terms of improvements to old mechanics, and the inclusion of new ones. hitting the $10 million+ stretch goals is not make or break for shenmue 3, and we shouldn't act like anything under that number is going to be pure trash.

about ragdoll reaction from yu suzuki:

Yu Suzuki : Some of you may know what the Ragdoll physics is. If you release the strength of the body, it becomes like a doll, that's not really natural. That's why we're working on the «Motion Blending», adding some resistance to the muscles for example, to obtain realistic moves.

In a Virtua Fighter scene, patterns were determined by the Motion Capture, but with the Ragdoll physics, moves won't repeat over and over. If you get into something (like a wall) the reaction won't be the same. In fact, I'd like to combine the «Ragdoll Physics», the «Motion Blending» and «IK Constraint» to make the NPC and battle's reactions as real as possible.

source

Sounds great! Even with a limited budget, Yu seems to be pushing some boundaries. Bless his cotton socks!

Spaghetti

Sounds great! Even with a limited budget, Yu seems to be pushing some boundaries. Bless his cotton socks!
it seems like it works a lot in service to yu's desire to make the shenmue 3 battles more cinematic by making the reactions dynamic and not just canned animations over and over.

honestly i really like the sound of this approach to 'cinematic' gameplay. the best times i've had battling in shenmue/shenmue II was when i was parrying, countering, dodging, and using flashy/effective moves. even in those old engines, it did look like the 'cinematic' gameplay yu is now striving for, but in the wrapper of a semi-traditional fighting game. will that fighting game wrapper continue for shenmue 3? possibly, but i wouldn't say no to a new iteration of the battling system that makes it easier to get those cinematic moments while still maintaining a challenge.

i'm excited for a lot about shenmue 3, but nothing more than the battle system. yu suzuki loves martial arts. he lives it, even. i totally have faith he's going to make a really satisfying combat system.

Top Bottom