• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHENMUE 3 PayPal (Slack Backer) Funding site live

Rymuth

i checked the slacker backer page just now.

is that number accurate?? have they really gotten next to no donations since the KS ended?

edit: well i mean a thousand or so donations, but really only a hundred dollars or so more since the original KS ended?? jeez

It ended on $6,333,295

It's now $6,446,426

It gained $113,131 from the slacker backer and we're closing on Rag-Doll reactions.

Ludens

Banned
I gave up hope for that a long time ago, they don't care.

I've seen this thread in the first page, thought PC edition was up, still nothing. Really?
How much time they need to provide a backing option on PC version, when they did on the regular KS.

It ended on $6,333,295

It's now $6,446,426

It gained $113,131 from the slacker backer and we're closing on Rag-Doll reactions.

oh my god my post said a hundred dollars what an idiot i am

still, that's less than i was expecting

tho, now that it's not in danger of never coming out, donations have slowed. i see.

Mugen08

I've seen this thread in the first page, thought PC edition was up, still nothing. Really?
How much time they need to provide a backing option on PC version, when they did on the regular KS.

Nope, no change in the FAQ either:
"Q:Why is the PC version of Shenmue III not offered on this website?
A:At the moment, we are discussing the PC version with the related parties."

Must be so very hard, to sell something for an open platform. Especially when they have already sold it for PC on KS. Also many of the big PC mags have covered Shenmue III quite well after the KS. Seems they do not want to capitalize on that, although PS4-players will be able to play a trial version on PC. (Yes, I get migraine over this subpar campaign.)

IrishNinja

"I think Shenmue 3 has got disaster written all over it."

PS I Love You XOXO Ep. 02
Skip to 19:20.

Even though Yu Suzuki talked about how hard at work he and his team are on the game, it just goes to show how toxic and misleading a clickbait article title can be. I like Colin, but he sure as shit is spreading FUD here.

welp, i don't mess with podcasts much, but i sure won't be trying this one

I think there is a lot of pride in some game commentators with the stance they initially took with a game most of them always said would never be made for a laundry list of reasons, some pertinent and some exaggerated (like $80 Million development costs for each game). This hubris seems like it is attempting to push a self-fulfilling prophecy. Perhaps not even intentionally... People hate being wrong.

well said - yeah, the damage to those narratives was tremendous, and some took it better than others
jeff gerstmann still doesn't sleep well at night

Bioshocker

Well, there's plenty of time to make a decision about a PC digital release. Right? The game isn't due until two years from now.

Ludens

Banned
Nope, no change in the FAQ either:
"Q:Why is the PC version of Shenmue III not offered on this website?
A:At the moment, we are discussing the PC version with the related parties."

Must be so very hard, to sell something for an open platform. Especially when they have already sold it for PC on KS. Also many of the big PC mags have covered Shenmue III quite well after the KS. Seems they do not want to capitalize on that, although PS4-players will be able to play a trial version on PC. (Yes, I get migraine over this subpar campaign.)

Yeah, but I remember a tweet saying it was coming "soon".

Well, there's plenty of time to make a decision about a PC digital release. Right? The game isn't due until two years from now.

Honestly, what decision they need to take? PC is Steam and GOG, stop.
If they don't want to provide a Steam/GOG code is probably because they don't want to take out the 30% fee, but if they opt for crappy things like Digital River, they can also take the PC version of Shenmue 3.
I'm sure the game will be on Steam, but it's stupid holding off pre-purchases for PC version for unknown reasons.

Hesh

More donations would be nice, but an extra $100k is nothing to sneeze at. That alone can pay the salary for a new team member or be split up to cover some temporary workers' pay. Definitely looks like they'll need outside investors to crack that $10 million budget, though.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How are they going to make a shenmue game with just 6-7m then? (Im assuming the ks+this is their only source of funding)

Let me guess. You heard that the first game had a $70 million budged? Well, that`s what Sega told everyone because they wanted to marked the game. Yu Suzuki later revealed that the actual budged was $47 million dollars for both Shenmue and Shenmue 2 combined. That`s close to $23,5 millions for each game. The $47 mill budged also included the unreleased Sega Saturn version of Shenmue, and they spent four years on a game that they never released. There are also parts of Shenmue 2 in the Saturn version, so they might have been working on that as well. Suddenly 6-7 millions sound a lot more reasonable, because this is all development money. Sony is helping out with some of the marketing.

Let me guess. You heard that the first game had a $70 million budged? Well, that`s what Sega told everyone because they wanted to marked the game. Yu Suzuki later revealed that the actual budged was $47 million dollars for both Shenmue and Shenmue 2 combined. That`s close to $23,5 millions for each game. The $47 mill budged also included the unreleased Sega Saturn version of Shenmue, and they spent four years on a game that they never released. There are also parts of Shenmue 2 in the Saturn version, so they might have been working on that as well. Suddenly 6-7 millions sound a lot more reasonable, because this is all development money. Sony is helping out with some of the marketing.

Even then, 24m is 4 times bigger than 6. Also we are comparing 24m of a decade ago with 6m of today, so the gap is actually bigger than what it looks like.

And the games evolved alot since the last shemue, so shenmue 3 neees to evolve and grow accordingly.

I just dont understand how is this all feasible, or how are ppl gonna end up satisfied with shenmue3

Spaghetti

Even then, 24m is 4 times bigger than 6. Also we are comparing 24m of a decade ago with 6m of today, so the gap is actually bigger than what it looks like.

And the games evolved alot since the last shemue, so shenmue 3 neees to evolve and grow accordingly.

I just dont understand how is this all feasible, or how are ppl gonna end up satisfied with shenmue3
a lot of what shenmue pioneered and created custom software for in 1999 can now be done in-engine, that's a huge saving that cannot be understated.

how does shenmue need to grow? are you one of those people who think its open world has to fall in-line with all the other open world titles on the market right now? that would be a disaster for the game, and not in the spirit of what the series is about.

shenmue's open world isn't huge or sprawling, though at the time it was impressive. shenmue's vision of an open world is a antithesis to the huge but empty/lifeless open world arms race we've been seeing for the last few years. shenmue's open world is about atmosphere, authenticity, and a sense of place. that's very much achievable the game.

Honestly, what decision they need to take? PC is Steam and GOG, stop.
If they don't want to provide a Steam/GOG code is probably because they don't want to take out the 30% fee, but if they opt for crappy things like Digital River, they can also take the PC version of Shenmue 3.
I'm sure the game will be on Steam, but it's stupid holding off pre-purchases for PC version for unknown reasons.
i get why people are mad that the PC slacker backer option isn't up yet (and trust me, i know, i wanted to get another copy myself), but answered your own question. the reason why the PC version slacker backer option is unavailable right now is unknown to us. it's silly to jump the gun and think it is intentional for negative reasons, let alone stupidity like thinking they're going to put it only on digital river with zero evidence of that.

cedric has said it is coming. shibuya are directly in charge of porting and promotion of the PC version, so he'd definitely know the status of it. for whatever reason, it's just taking a while. just sit tight, the money won't burn a hole in your pocket.

So roughly 1.4K new backers pushing them over 70K overall and roughly 130K in additional pledges? Decent enough to say it was worth the effort but I think they made a mistake in delaying this so long past the Kickstarter. Had they opened it up straight away I think they could have more effectively carried the positive momentum they had at the time.

Erevador

15 days left on this baby for anyone who hasn't jumped on board yet.

With Yakuza games getting ported left and right, Sony picking up Kojima, and Shenmue 3 on the horizon... it's a good day for those of us who remember the glories of the good old days of Japanese game design.

Exciting time to be a gamer.

Spaghetti

cross post from the kickstarter thread but:

reminder: you've only got until DECEMBER 31ST to be part of the slacker backer campaign

while upgrades for kickstarter pledges are not in place (yet), and the PC version not being available via slacker backer funding (we were told it would come, but there must have been some delay), if you want shenmue 3 on PS4 plus access to some extra goodies, now would be a good time to get yourself a copy and pledge.

so far they've raised over $130,000 via the slacker backer site with nearly an extra 2000 people pledging, and just shy of $30,000 left to reach the next stretch goal.

let's (continue to) save shenmue!

5pvMjUH.gif

mxsYPK5.gif

EaAYTt1.gif

that's the next stretch goal gettin' bopped.

Eusis

Gotta look into what is known about pledge upgrading. Threw in $5 just to get a foot in the door or at least be part of one of the more stupefying revivals yet, but it would be nice to take that to a level that actually matters.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
When this finishes, will those of us who pledged to the Kickstarter portion of this receive our Backerkits, or whatever they will be using? Haven't seen too much info on this, but I assume it'll go up shortly after the Paypal portion of the campaign.

I'd love to at least see 6.5 hit. I've pledged twice in the Kickstarter and there's really not much else I want, but I may drop 30 for another digital copy to give to someone...

Still, ragdoll reactions sounds fun.

damn, it hasn't moved much...

i want some ragdoll action too.

i'm suspicious that a few "anonymous" donors will at the last moment hit that mark.

Spaghetti

damn, it hasn't moved much...

i want some ragdoll action too.

i'm suspicious that a few "anonymous" donors will at the last moment hit that mark.
$130,000 is pretty good. traditional slacker backer campaigns don't usually go much further than that.

as for pledge upgrades, we've been told they're coming (along with the surveys about which version you want/digital or physical/etc) but we don't really know when.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think we need to do a $30 on December 30 campaign. Where are the shenmue ultrafans so we can light the towers?

Billy Lee

I think we need to do a $30 on December 30 campaign. Where are the shenmue ultrafans so we can light the towers?

After spending all their money on Christmas presents, I'm not sure many people will be willing to do this. I would contribute though.

Spaghetti

How in the world have they not gotten a PC version tier up yet? Any update on the situation?
cedric biscay insists it is coming for slacker backers, but he seemingly can't give any further details.

it might just be time to kick back and wait for it to appear, because we aren't getting any answers beyond "it will appear".

It'd be really nice if more studios offered a separate (and somewhat extended) backing option for people who aren't able to make the initial window, like this one, and inXile for Torment: Tides of Numenera. Still kicking myself for missing the window for the Divinity: Original Sin II Kickstarter...

Spaghetti

10 days left, folks

$6,475,615 with 70,976backers

less than $25,000 until the ragdoll reaction stretch goal.

personally, i really hope we hit this one. i had all kinds of fun playing around with the rudimentary physics in the original games when performing throws to topple multiple enemies.

FIIBTjH.gif

9RcAmW0.gif

dem glorious throw moves

cedric biscay insists it is coming for slacker backers, but he seemingly can't give any further details.

it might just be time to kick back and wait for it to appear, because we aren't getting any answers beyond "it will appear".

As soon as it pops up I'm buying, but I just can't imagine what the problem could be, you would think it would be way easier to sort a PC version than a PS4 version, they could have probably went through the whole Steam Greenlight process by now at this point.

Spaghetti

As soon as it pops up I'm buying, but I just can't imagine what the problem could be, you would think it would be way easier to sort a PC version than a PS4 version, they could have probably went through the whole Steam Greenlight process by now at this point.
i'm not sure they would have got on greenlight with only the materials from e3. besides, i think they want some professional legitimacy with shenmue 3. it may be independently developed but it is a sega IP and the project has links with SCE.

besides, they may still be investigating a DRM-free solution. those kinds of negotiations could definitely gum up the works, and slow the process way down as risk assessment reports are generated about potential losses from a piracy threat.

shiyrley

Banned
i'm not sure they would have got on greenlight with only the materials from e3. besides, i think they want some professional legitimacy with shenmue 3. it may be independently developed but it is a sega IP and the project has links with SCE.

besides, they may still be investigating a DRM-free solution. those kinds of negotiations could definitely gum up the works, and slow the process way down as risk assessment reports are generated about potential losses from a piracy threat.
That would be the stupidest thing ever. I mean, unless they use denuvo, which I doubt, the pirated version of the game will be available the same day of the official launch, no matter what they do. :/

In any case I'm glad I already pledged for my physical PC copy lol

Spaghetti

That would be the stupidest thing ever. I mean, unless they use denuvo, which I doubt, the pirated version of the game will be available the same day of the official launch, no matter what they do. :/

In any case I'm glad I already pledged for my physical PC copy lol
well that's likely why they are investigating before saying anything. they never immediately shut the idea out of having the game up DRM free on GOG, but they said, rightly, that it involves a lot of discussions and research before they either commit, or don't commit, to a strategy.

Rymuth

1Zj7oHb.jpg

Lookit this smug mug...winning accolades by stealing from us and Sony's money. Smug bastard.

I mean, just look at 'im!

In other news, Paypal pledges will continue after the slacker backer campaign ends

Spaghetti

$6,487,954

71,097backers

of course, the slacker backer campaign is now being extended into 2016, but we're so close to breaking $6.5 million, why wait?

also, here's something interesting. earlier on, a video went live on the official shenmue 3 youtube page and was pulled. it was a direct feed version of the bailu village hut video we saw off-screen footage of during yu suzuki's shenmue 3 presentation in china.

luckily, someone from the shenmue dojo managed to copy the video and it has since been uploaded here on the dojo's youtube page. maybe we're getting a surprise update before the end of the month but the video accidentally went live early?

considering the footage is from last month's build at the latest, and the game is still very, very early in development, it's looking pretty nice visually. no idea how much of the materials and textures are placeholder right now, but it certainly is starting to capture shenmue's aesthetic and attention to small details. dust and water marks on the glass definitely caught my eye at least.

roll on february for the big magic monaco update, and hopefully teaser trailer.

Spaghetti

The slacker backer campaign will be extended?

Nice! Ragdoll reactions here we come! Aw yiss.
ragdoll reactions is definitely in the bag now. no idea how long the paypal campaign is being extended, but offering add-ons and adding the pc version for slacker backers should help push us closer to 7 million, though i think actually hitting that figure is a little bit too ambitious.

ragdoll reactions is definitely in the bag now. no idea how long the paypal campaign is being extended, but offering add-ons and adding the pc version for slacker backers should help push us closer to 7 million, though i think actually hitting that figure is a little bit too ambitious.

Once the game comes out I think we will look back and be really glad ragdoll reactions made it in. It's going to make a big difference. : )

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So, now that Kojima is working close with Sony, how about a little touch from him on this game? I mean, not like a very important role in the development, but a "thing" will be fine

Top Bottom