• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shigeru Miyamoto on E3: 'I saw no games I would have liked to create myself'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuburt

In other news, Miyamoto is quoted as saying he likes In-N-Out burger.

BMmY3JeCcAA3YcK.jpg

Fastfood fans burn Mario dolls in effigy.

krYlon

That's honestly how I'd describe most Mario games. I'm almost done with 3D World for the 3DS and it's just solid platformer, nothing more.

I guess I prefer the level design in Mario games. Judging by this thread and many others though, level design isn't really high up on people's radar. They see the artstyle, the same themes, same characters and it's "oh nintendo keep making the same games". Just keep ignoring the imagination and creativity that goes into the design, the most important part.

That last point wasn't aimed at you btw, I just went off on a tangent :)

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
people dissing him must be the ones cheering at every display of arrogance coming from Sony, which is ironically far worse than Nintendo has ever done. i guess tha's why they go along pretty well

entremet

Let the man have his opinions. He didn't say the games were bad just not something he would've made.

And honestly, outside of the indie space, the industry has become increasingly homogenous.

"Of course, I would like to know what they do with their machines, but there is no game that I feel the need to go see. So far, from what I've seen on the show this year, there does not seem to be any games that I would like to have created myself."
I know it will sound like I'm grasping at straws to defend Miyamoto, but I think the "so far" part of his sentence is important: at which point of E3 has this interview been conducted? If it was before he could have the time to move "in the aisles to take a look at what is going on other than their own booths", his answer might not be that surprising. I guess we'll have to wait for the full interview to be sure...

ReiGun

Didn't Miyamoto say he would liked to have made Halo, or am I remembering something that didn't actually happen?

Didn't Miyamoto say he would liked to have made Halo, or am I remembering something that didn't actually happen?

Actually, here's the quote.

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design. I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play."

cacildo

What miyamoto means is: "Games from sony and microsoft this e3 were lame"

And he´s right.
Its the same thing again, but with "prettier" graphics (that only intelligent fanboys can see)

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I wonder if he checked out Oculus Rift. I would agree with him on everything but that. It's the only thing that's really going to bring innovation and new genre's to the table. Oculus Rift is as exciting to me as the N64 was when it came out. It's a game changer.

J.W.Crazy

A sequel to the award winning Steel Diver

I may be the only one who wants this.

Miyamoto's "new IP" is an ongoing urban legend since the Gamecube days like 10 years ago.

I guess maybe the Pikmin 3 team will have to make something after they finally ship that game, and EAD #4 have burned NSMB to the darn ground, and may have to make something new, but who knows! (Probably work on more HD versions of Gamecube, Wii, and 3DS games!)

Nintendo has said Miyamoto is working with small groups of young developers to make new games as a way to teach them his method of game design. That's probably what was being refereed to as him working on new a IP.

Oersted

Miyamoto plays Tearaway: OMG Amazing humble man what an artist!!

Miyamoto says there was nothing that he could have liked to create: Fuck you you old bloated untalented hack!!

At least loose the Jack Tretton avatars before posting your corporate ballwashing misguided crap, you Kotaku-level-of-understanding fools.

GAF is a echo chamber. " Hey, he showed up to play Tearaway. Miyamoto acknowledges it greatness."

"He doesn´t want to make any of the games on the E3? He sucks anyway."

The funny, underlying theme is, that no matter how much they are trying to hate him, the opinion of the greatest and most influential videogame-designer matters to them.

I have to question this - when was the last time Miyamoto created something fresh?

Nintendogs, Pikmin, partly SM Galaxy and Steel Diver.

I don't dislike Miyamoto, but I definitely feel like if CliffyB or David Jaffe or any other number of developers said anything like this, people would be jumping down their throat.

He's saying that he wouldn't feel compelled to make those games, not that they have no value or that they suck.

Exactly. Reminds me of when he said he could make a game like Halo, but he doesn't want to. That doesn't seem like a value judgement, just personal preference. Cheap sound-bite.

Seance

Banned
Titanfall, The Division, Destiny, The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 all look to be far better and more unique than the next iterations of the various Mario's.

Chaos17

90% of everything on show, despite plenty of new IPs, was recycled game design in shiny new graphics. So I'm not in the least bit surprised he's saying this.
True, I though they were too many COD like games too withs shiny HD.

This statement also stands true for Nintendo.
They aren't trying to sell new IP (at the moment exept for Project X) and tell us : "this a revolution".
At E3 they were showing a lot of new IP like Ryse or Watchdog, etc.

Nintendo know they've to create new IP (said by Zelda windwalker creator).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Can't say I blame him. Miyamoto's focus has always been on fundamental game mechanics, and we didn't see anything new and really groundbreaking in that area IMO outside of maybe a few indie titles.

ReiGun

he said he would have no problems making a game like Halo, just he didn't want to

Actually, here's the quote.

"I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to. One thing about my game design is that I never try to look for what people want and then try to make that game design. I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play."

He said he could have easily made it but choose not to.
Okay. Thanks.

I don't dislike Miyamoto, but I definitely feel like if CliffyB or David Jaffe or any other number of developers said anything like this, people would be jumping down their throat.

And they'd be just as dumb as the people jumping down Miyamoto's throat not.

The statement is not one of judging quality or worth; it's one of stating personal preference and understanding where your creative energies lie.

I like to write. Does that mean I wish I could have written every story that I enjoy? No, because not everything I reading falls into the category of something I would enjoy writing. It's same thing here.

inner-G

Banned
Strange?

I would think that he would appreciate FIFA and Call of Duty since they can be rehashed and recycled with minor changes every year, just like Mario and Zelda.

Skinpop

isn't that what nintendo has been doing over the years with their IP's?

I don't play much nintendo these days but my experience has always been that new entries to their series always brought something new gameplay/mechanic wise with them. IP as such doesn't really matter, it's all about how the game plays.

linko9

Did Miyamoto have anything at all to do with Metroid Prime? I don't think he did. He didn't even conceive or create the series originally; that was Gunpei Yokoi.

Check yo facts.

"The game was originally envisioned as having third-person perspective gameplay, but this was changed to a first-person perspective after Miyamoto intervened, causing almost everything already developed to be scrapped."

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_Prime

Himself

90% of everything on show, despite plenty of new IPs, was recycled game design in shiny new graphics. So I'm not in the least bit surprised he's saying this.

More or less. But the same could be said about Nintendo's showing, just minus the new IPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom